How do you justify piracy?

How do you justify piracy?

t. mr shekelstein

>argentina cop

>justifying anything
deal with it faggot

Most films are shit and most film studios don't deserve any money.

i dindu nuffin

>Argentinian cop
>Enforcing piracy laws
lmao

The people whim I steal from do not go without anything essential due to my actions.

I watch a movie once illegally without paying and they still will make more money than I ever will in my entire life from that one movie.

They aren't losing money, I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

By doing whatever the fuck I want

the absolute madman

Unironically, YOLO.

I feel like this is more true than anything.

If all piracy was shut down tomorrow, I would just watch less tv and film

victimless crime

The excuse that studios make about an illegal download = a sale lost doesn't hold water in the vast majority of cases.
Sometimes I'm in the mood for an old film but can't find it at all through Amazon because the studios have decided it wasn't worth putting on DVD. Although I'd be willing to pay they've lost a sale right there, so if I find my desired movie online why shouldn't I download it if they don't seem interested in taking my (and presumably other people's) money?

its in my self interest to acquire media without cost

They don't deserve any money and should make content for free. Creators were poor in the past and did so out of creative vision, not profit.

My actions return artists to their purest form. Anyone that argues otherwise is a contrarian cuckold.

Can you justify asking 20$ for a piece of shit?

Victimless crime

If I watch something for free and I really like it then I will buy a physical copy. Make gud movies. I also already pay for Netflix & hbo go. So much content I can't catch up so I hardly pirate anymore.

Sports on the other hand is a totally different story. Fucking faggots want me to buy multiple cable packages to watch when I don't even want cable. I will stream sports and won't buy a God Damn thing until they get their shit together.

I don't want to pay for it.

it's free
it's easy

why should I pay for obnoxious product placement?

It's not illegal to watch pirated content in my area

I don't. I know it's illegal but I don't see myself as someone devoid of degeneracy

If I stole your car, I wouldn't be taking anything essential.

Does that mean I am allowed to steal your car? I am poor and you probably make more than me so...

it still cracks me up how people who actually pay for dvds or blu rays get punished by unskippable ads. like "thanks for supporting the industry, now fuck you!"

But you're not stealing a movie, you're copying it. The original still exists and is still owned by the original person.

cant bring myself to support globalist satanist pedophiles

Yes, my business depends on my vehicle. Tools and materials are in there also.

You are terrible at analogy.

because almost all of it is kike propoganda

not even trolling

So what did you mean by essential then? Essential as in essential to live or essential to do your job? Because either way you are fucked kiddo. If you meant essential to live then that's bullshit since you could just get another job where you don't need a car. If you meant essential to your job then fine you have a point but then you ARE stealing something essential to the movie industry... the thing that keeps them employed.

Get fucked.

Pirating a movie instead of seeing it in a theatre is still theft of a service, like if you had a mechanic look at your car and just drove off without paying. You are expected to pay for that service and yet you do not.

Not being allowed to record a video of the movie in the cinema is also stupid. Fuck it, even when I go to Rome I'm allowed to take pictures of the stuff.

If I couldn't pirate it, then I probably would just never watch it. If I pirate something and like it, I will probably watch the director's future work or watch the sequels to the movie

From an economic/accounting perspective this car memes is retarded. The cost of goods sold (COGS) of a car involve materials, employee salary and wear&tear of the factory used to built it.

However in a movie/video game almost all expense comes from designing and creating it, the cost for replicate units is negligible. Cost of goods sold still exists. But because it's a material cost, which people emotionally assume is all there is, they think it's effortless to produce a unit.

how do you justify borrowing dvds from your m8s in the 90s

*negligible material cost for movies/vidya

Why? The payment covers the enjoyment of the film once in a theatre. The service does not include a copy of the film or the chance to make your own. That service is not offered.

How old are you people / teenagers?

if they want my money they should put a stop to piracy

>classic movies
I can't find most of them and the ones that are for sale (like Criterion) are too expensive for me. I could only afford like 1 movie a month.
>new releases
I don't want to give money to mall cinemas and the Hollywood machine.

when i'm at the art museum, i pay for the ticket, and then i can take as many pictures as i like.

I don't like paying for stuff

Yes, because a job is essential to mine and my family's survival.

I am self employed, it's not about getting another job. I mean this sincerely, movies are over priced and the industry is over paying many people involved within it.

You clearly have little understanding of anything.

Someone downloading a torrent and watching with their roommates once does not put people out of a job. Millionaires remain millionaires and the lowly gaffers who were already paid are not affect by rentals or DVD sales.

Remain fucked, child.

Boy the same user, but filming a movie is effectively reproducing it.

A photo doesn't make another sculpture.

To me it's all a rip off. Those movies aren't worth the price of then ticket, much less the cost of owning the DVD. Than the pirated shittier copy is sold too? Not even $3 justifies it when I can download it to my phone in front of the guys table where his shitty copies are displayed.

That's part of the service. Jesus Christ, do you fucking complain that the mechanic doesn't rub
your balls with peanut butter too?

There is zero reason why you cannot get another job. Your car is not essential. There is no argument you can give me. Bye.

Oh and also,

>Millionaires remain millionaires and the lowly gaffers who were already paid are not affect by rentals or DVD sales.

Lol giving me shit for "not knowing anything about anything" and you don't even understand one of the basic rules of economics. You think those lowly people will survive when times are tough? Who goes first when the revenue falls, kid?

region locking

Run, rabbit.

All I see are records broken every year.

Let me know when gaffer salaries make the news for being unjustified. They are already correcting.

I use Torrenting as more of a rental service. If I can't find a movie through Netflix to watch I'll torrent a rip.

If I dislike the movie I'll delete it and probably never watch it again.

If I like the movie I might keep the rip of it.

If I REALLY like the movie I'll buy a copy.

Living out in the boonies of Wisconsin I don't exactly have that wide variety of theaters that have those independent productions I'm interested in seeing. It's all blockbuster capeshit and the odd "independent theater" where the screen is filthy, the AC is extremely loud, the seats are shit and the popcorn taste like gas. And then they play blockbusters and mid-budget hollywood movies instead of actual independent productions.

Supporting Hollywood is a crime.

It's almost like they want piracy to stay when they pull bullshit like this.

>how do you justify it
But I had to give a reason, I live in Aus

I don't have to justify it. I break the law and I'm a piece of shit, I have no reason to defend myself

1. Pirating has benefited the Hollywood movie industry immensely. Historic highs in consumer spending on movies over the past decade confirm this. Prime Example: China. The reason Western capeshit does so well there today is because the consumer base was built upon piracy.
2. Megaliths like Disney rose through using other peoples creations in the public domain, e.g. Snow White, Sleeping beauty and so on. Today those same companies like Disney have ensured that intellectual properties like Mickey Mouse will never go into the public domain. They have TAKEN liberally and are willing to give NOTHING back to the public. They are stifling creativity and progress.
3. Up to 25 years in jail for piracy = to a sentence for rape. So piracy is equal to fucking someone against their will?

I guess I don't feel the need to do that

Checks and balances. By downloading a new movie to preview it, I am holding the movie studios, writers, and actors accountable to produce quality products. If the product is akin to deceptive over advertised and no content clickbait, then I delete the downloaded video and shun the movie. If the movie is great, or even somewhat decent, I'll officially support it by either watching it in the theaters, or buying the movie once it comes out.

Honestly, how can you justify movie companies making underhanded deceptive products?

I'M GONNA GET YOU WHAT YOU NEEED!

If they are shit why do you pirate them in the first place?

Its easy for me because I only pirate major hollywood flicks, most of which don't deserve anyone's money in the first place, so there is no guilt involved.

99% of the time I am not even pirating these sorts of films for myself either, as I have no interest in capeshit, star wars, YA wank ect but some of my less tech savvy family members like em so I grab them up.

If its a smaller film, I'll probably actually give it a chance and spend money either at the cinema or on a physical release.

>most of which don't deserve anyone's money in the first place, so there is no guilt involved

This is sort of true. I might even feel bad if I was to steal money from the artists and workers but I wouldn't be. The people losing money ARE the theives suckering everyone else out of money. I'm syphoning from their paycheck not anybody who actually deserves it.

Same. Would just have to waste my time on something else.

making a copy of something isn't stealing it

saying movie piracy is stealing is like saying if I walk into a store, see a design for a wood carving I think is cool, went home and made it myself, I would be stealing from the store since if I hadn't made that copy I might have bought it from the store

wasn't going to pay for it anyway, and they should have made it easier to stream legally

user, I don't think you get how analogies work.

Because I don't make them lose anything by watching them, you can compare it to stealing

If you have 2 oranges and I get one from you, it's bad, if you have 2 oranges and I watch them without touching them no one loses

I don't have to justify it. I don't care what you think about me for it.

The companies that make most media engage in accounting tricks and tax evasion to save every penny possible. Why shouldn't I do the same by "stealing" their output?

I don't want to pay money for movies and have the option not to with minimal risk for my own wellbeing.

I don't. I just do it.

If the movie is good enough I might buy it on Bluray. That's my justification. Fight me about it.

Ehhh rati!

Yo Ho motherfucker

fuck off gramps

free content is the future, you can profit from advertising

I largely don't, which is why I have mostly stopped consuming nearly all forms of media.

I largely believe the market structure is broken. Me and many people like me are willing to pay a few dollars to own, or even rent, a copy of something. But the market either does not carry it, or charges far more then we are willing to pay. So I just do without while some resort to piracy.

I firmly believe the arts and supporting parties need to be compensated. And think the growth of AAA studios is largely to blame for the growing costs, as they invest more and expect more.

I think we need a new model.
Maybe something more like website syndication is a possible solution combined with something like patron. Studios get paid for a viewing at a low cost after they push the major release window, this doesn't sound like much but it adds up over years as the size and quality of the library is what makes the money similar to syndication, with addition upfront investments from the public for new projects similar to kick-starter/patron where the core creators can get financial feedback quickly to get new projects going.

Small studios would start as side projects with public funds, while more established studios would pull money on their libraries.
I worry that could slow creativity, but I trust so die hard artist will make it through and some studios will realize new content can multiply their holdings later so they will reinvest.

Another key issue is the delivery platform, as any middle layer will drive up costs potentially killing it.

Most of the times I don't.

Sometimes it's because the devs are shitbags and I'd rather not support them with my money.

Pirates don't have to justify anything.

Marvel

Some museums don't allow you to take pictures because they need to have some incentive to get people to come in.

These ships have been dumping trash into the water for the longest time, polluting it and making fishing impossible. This resulted in a catastrophe for the local population for whom fishing was the only source of income. Taking the ships for ransom is a way of getting compensation for what the irresponsible captains have been doing for years on their waters.

user they don't let you take pictures because over time the camera flashes will add up and damage things like old paintings. You know how direct sunlight fades colors, its the same thing. The flash is intense enough that it will add up over time.

And yes, if you want a memento there is the gift shop, which provides income for the museum or gallery.

I don't want to wait months/weeks for content to reach my country. If I like the content after I pirated it then I will eventually buy it. Once I buy it I throw it up to the attic or down int he basement. I prefer digital media.

I think we're seeing this now. With the proliferation of streaming services, and ways to directly fund content you like (kickstarter, pateron, direct donation, etc.). It's just that this new distribution and funding model is still in its relative infancy. But eventually the studio system will adapt or die. The sooner the better desu.

Copyright law is anticapitalist. If there weren't the threat of a FBI squad knocking down your door because you refused to pay for a movie you could get for free, maybe we'd see the industry producing better content for lower prices.

>have to buy a blu ray player
>have to sit through 10 minutes of unskipable drm advertisements after paying 20 dollars already

yeah no thanks

>3rd world country
>most dvd stores sell pirated DVD rips and cam 2$ a pop
>anything 18+ gets cut from the cinema

atleast I don't need a vpn because no gives a shit

>Wanted to watch LOTR extended with friends
>Buying physical set of all 3 films is $120 for god knows why, although amazon will "generously" sell me a used trilogy set for $50
>Also don't want to wait for a physical DVD set to come
>If I want to buy the movies to stream off Amazon, it's $10/film SD $18/film HD, and of course I want HD
>Also no bundled purchase for all 3 films streaming at once, so it's still over $50

Or I can just torrent all 3 for free. And these are films that have been out for a long time. They've made a shit load of money off them.

Yes, we are seeing some of this. But there are still some major issues.

Some notable ones are platform providers and studio relations. Amazon and Netflix have had such nasty fights they have started making their own stuff effectively becoming studios to avoid such right disputes. NA that is what it seems to take to get rid of that middle man cost. But older big names aren't making their own, I mean if one of those titans wanted to build a steaming service with their huge library they could do it. But then you would splinter the market as buy a subscription from every studio would cost too much, some kind individual pay to view makes more sense as people pay to see a show not to see a studio. But bulk bundles could still be marketed with some negations.

The other is the less mainstream stuff, it not impossibly rare but many older shows I want to watch are not available.

When I was VP of an anime club I worked to see we got legal copies of old gems, turned out studios were jerks asking hundreds of dollars for a single 30 person viewing. My noble idea quickly fell despite that we had raised $40 for each planned show (keep in mind these were poor college student who could get if for free so rasing that much was a big deal). Ended spending that money on better hard drives for more pirated stuff. I saw that as a fatal market mistake for everyone.

Exactly
>Paying for your own brainwash

If you ask me, the jews are doing it right, best business ever.

I only pirate digital copies of university textbooks that I've already bought physical copies of.

it's convenient

if everything were on an easily accessible service, I'd absolutely pay a monthly fee for it, but there's so much rubbish like country restrictions and competing services.

I've got a Netflix account and even that just barely makes up for itself considering how piss poor their nordic collection is.

I want things and I don't like paying for them

White people in this thread justifying stealing. Worse than niggers the lot of you. Hopefully Trump will end you soon.

>tfw i work in the industry
>tfw i work on independent movies
>tfw i make almost no money and most of it goes towards my shitty apartment

I support movies with my time. Not my money.

have you been to a movie theater recently? disgusting seats, stains everywhere, holes in the ceiling, tears in the screen, loud niggers/obnoxious autistic kids screaming during the movie, bad smells, vomit, diarrhea in the bathrooms. Not to mention it costs 10$ just to see a single movie.

Totally fucking this.

Because as a Marvey fanboy I just want to piss off DC fans. BvS extended cut was ass.

you should get off the internet m8

Capeshit

if you're going to force that shit down our throats I need to know what to criticize about it and I'm sure as fuck not going to pay you to keep making this garbage

This is how I handle music. Pirate the album, if I like it I see them in concert/buy merch and support their future endeavors.

Well, I guess its time to admit that capitalism isn't compatible with creative industries who's works can be reproduced effortlessly.