Prove you're not a pretentious hipster

Benjamin Thompson
Benjamin Thompson

Prove you're not a pretentious hipster. Post a top 40 pop song you love that's been in the charts in the past five years.

Attached: dualipa-newrules.jpg (33 KB, 644x360)

All urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eiDiKwbGfIY
youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0
youtu.be/hu9pTGFjA4c
youtube.com/watch?v=xpVfcZ0ZcFM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m9zhNAgKs
youtube.com/watch?v=HCjNJDNzw8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf
youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8
youtube.com/watch?v=93ASUImTedo
youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8
youtube.com/watch?v=wLStZ21EzDM
youtube.com/watch?v=LM33aondFAI
youtube.com/watch?v=8MBaGzuvCDk
youtube.com/watch?v=MLd_N6CFBwY
youtu.be/nfs8NYg7yQM
youtube.com/watch?v=caP3tAmMEbc
youtube.com/watch?v=TeccAtqd5K8
youtu.be/wHJL8VidJDU
youtu.be/C2HzwODx9sE
youtu.be/CIELYkfoKy8
youtube.com/watch?v=SmJ3zOn9RD8
youtube.com/watch?v=LsoLEjrDogU
youtube.com/watch?v=r-AuLm7S3XE
youtube.com/watch?v=LkIWmsP3c_s
youtube.com/watch?v=tGRzz0oqgUE
youtube.com/watch?v=w1oM3kQpXRo
youtu.be/dMK_npDG12Q
youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyfVh3nmU
youtube.com/watch?v=b0X0Yrbnrqg
youtube.com/watch?v=iGk5fR-t5AU
youtube.com/watch?v=pBkHHoOIIn8
youtube.com/watch?v=L_u97PqWX6g
youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1VUa99-tJqs
youtube.com/watch?v=_1zq0J-wCjw
youtube.com/watch?v=RPrZUiDVHrM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Negro
youtu.be/LPTlvQ1Zet0
encyclopediadramatica.rs/Hipster
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Indie&ved=2ahUKEwi-172N5e7ZAhVHyWMKHdvQDuEQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3RKtp7PZiO-Xz9KV6wBAMm
youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6Nne8RvaA
youtube.com/watch?v=ME9x1mSNv-w
youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY
youtube.com/watch?v=ypPSrRYOAj4
youtube.com/watch?v=UceaB4D0jpo
youtube.com/watch?v=uxpDa-c-4Mc

Mason Garcia
Mason Garcia

I'll post them when they start making good ones

Julian Jackson
Julian Jackson

youtube.com/watch?v=eiDiKwbGfIY

Aiden Jones
Aiden Jones

youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

You're so late to the fucking party

Anthony Foster
Anthony Foster

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own). One may be quick to coin such interests and garb as "black-rimmed glasses, flannel, and indie music," however said mainstream-avoiding "hipsters" will logically turn down abiding to such a popular consensus, voiding the interpretation null.

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

Ayden Powell
Ayden Powell

Fuck that. Here's a better song.
youtu.be/hu9pTGFjA4c

John Price
John Price

Bruno Mars, list goes on

Cameron Hernandez
Cameron Hernandez

my point still stands
derivative pseudo funk is none of my interest

Nolan Clark
Nolan Clark

Where have you been? Hipsters actually are into Top 40 now.

Landon Watson
Landon Watson

I have no idea what's charing right now, and what isn't. But for recent mainstream artists, I like Touché Amoré, Behemoth, The Libertines, Benjamin Booker, Fat White Family, TV On the Radio, Marina & The Diamonds, and The xx, and at least a couple of those must have had hits.

Nathan Scott
Nathan Scott

youtube.com/watch?v=xpVfcZ0ZcFM
[Embed]

Andrew Garcia
Andrew Garcia

Mark Ronson is probably one of the most innovative pop producers of our era. You're just a pretentious hipster that's all.

Wyatt Rodriguez
Wyatt Rodriguez

No. The hipsters on Sup Forums all think obscure = good, inaccessible = more sophisticated

Anthony Hall
Anthony Hall

thats why he made queens of the stone age boring and stiff right?

Jaxon Gray
Jaxon Gray

24k magic unironically goes hard, i love that shitty 80s kurtis blow rap style

Josiah Adams
Josiah Adams

i really hope you grow out of the "everyone wh listens to anything other than radio pop or dadrock is a hipster" phase. top 40 and mainstream hip hop is more popular on this board now than it has ever been. if you think this place is suffocatingly "hipster" i would hate to see what you'd think of 2012 Sup Forums.
closing yourself off from discovering music because you're too concerned with labels is dumb.
read the wiki and learn about discovering new music. most of the people here are elitist cunts in the same way that other boards like /v/ would be: half-jokingly.
the attitude you're displaying right now is only going to inhibit future music discussion.

Brody Barnes
Brody Barnes

This shit is a classic

Austin Hall
Austin Hall

Fuck. Ok link is fixed.

Carson Gray
Carson Gray

top 40 and mainstream hip hop is more popular on this board now than it has ever been
this is a much better alternative than kids trying to out-edge each other by more and more absurd esoteric releases only ten people know about

Isaac Fisher
Isaac Fisher

Daft Punk - Get Lucky

Colton Hill
Colton Hill

is this seriously the only thing you took from my post

Isaac Davis
Isaac Davis

oh because fuck people for wanting to find new music lol

Brody Rogers
Brody Rogers

Unironically love this youtube.com/watch?v=HCjNJDNzw8Y

Charles Torres
Charles Torres

A lot of really grimy, underground rap is becoming normal mainstream shit so I guess that

Adam Harris
Adam Harris

Where are u now is a great song
I love it by icona pop
Happy was good before it got overplayed
Roar by Katy perry
I took a pill in Ibiza
Sorry by Biebs
Heathens by TOP (don't hate me it's their only good song)
That's what I like is the better of the Bruno mars hits
I'm what'd you call a pop patrician I can tell the good pop songs from the bad ;) I'm not a poptimist and lap up whatever is on the radio but I can recognize a good pop song when there is one.

Logan Brooks
Logan Brooks

T. Thinks migos is grimy

Isaiah Hughes
Isaiah Hughes

Cardi B has genuinely made some good hits, bartier cardi is a banger

Jaxon Russell
Jaxon Russell

This but unironically.

Lincoln Edwards
Lincoln Edwards

Joke's on you, I'm a pretentious hipster

Jackson Rodriguez
Jackson Rodriguez

thats how i like it went hard desu

Angel Bailey
Angel Bailey

kids trying to out-edge each other by more and more absurd esoteric releases only ten people know about
When does this even happen on this board? Stop projecting ffs

Brody Martin
Brody Martin

The hipsters are correct then.

Thomas Green
Thomas Green

he isn't a pretentious hipster
l m a o

Attached: I+make+everyone+laugh+hysterically+all+the+time+just+because+-f32a8bb8b45e2e1c2e80866f6e5df126.jpg (5 KB, 222x200)

Angel Allen
Angel Allen

nice but would never go out of my way to listen to/10

Joshua Nguyen
Joshua Nguyen

Riptide

Luis Nelson
Luis Nelson

Who the fuck are you and why do you think that you're important enough for me to care about proving myself to you?

Eli Clark
Eli Clark

youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf
ourgal miley obviously

Owen Diaz
Owen Diaz

lala ace - Danser dans le noir

Attached: d4ccd436f09b65abcf017c8efc1d25df.jpg (54 KB, 564x846)

Kayden Gomez
Kayden Gomez

fuck youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

Daniel Morris
Daniel Morris

Embarrassing post. You reek of underage.

Daniel Clark
Daniel Clark

This tbqh fampaitachi

Connor Gomez
Connor Gomez

black skinhead
the hills, starboy, and that other song he did with daft punk
xo tour life
summer

William Edwards
William Edwards

YO PIERRE YOU WANNA COME OUT HERE

Gavin Morris
Gavin Morris

Thrift Shop.

Aiden Lewis
Aiden Lewis

there are people on this board who like pop music

I want teens and plebs to leave

Chase Jones
Chase Jones

Fancy by Iggy Azelia is my shit

Way back in the mid 2000s, before you were born, Gwen Stefani was dropping bangers left and right that I still unironically get down to today. Hollaback Girl, Cool, etc.

Jace Johnson
Jace Johnson

This.

Liam Sullivan
Liam Sullivan

Some Grimes song

Andrew Diaz
Andrew Diaz

Beyonce - ***Flawless

Jayden Ramirez
Jayden Ramirez

Swans - To Be Kind

Christian Bailey
Christian Bailey

youtube.com/watch?v=93ASUImTedo
Disclosure is really good.

Austin Brown
Austin Brown

I enjoy pop music

If you enjoy pop music, you don't enjoy music. You enjoy consumer products specifically made for morons like you to numb the intense pointlessness of your own pathetic existences. You exist solely to consume like a snail forever eating the shit off the floor, begging for more, to forever be a slave. You are creative, intellectually, spiritually and morally bankrupt in every single way. I don't say this often, but actually end all of your lives, since you are a massive disgrace to those who enjoy music, factory made drivel.

Zachary Watson
Zachary Watson

To be a virgin 15 years old again

Aiden Watson
Aiden Watson

top 40 hasn't been even remotely tolerable since the 2000s. 60s were peak tho

Austin Rodriguez
Austin Rodriguez

I bet your breath smells like cum right now

Jace Wilson
Jace Wilson

r/incel

Connor Wright
Connor Wright

i bet you like the beach boys

Jace White
Jace White

If you enjoy music
You don't enjoy music

Attached: momo-getting-stabbed-in-the-fucking-eye.jpg (22 KB, 639x647)

Robert Ortiz
Robert Ortiz

Proving my point. Please come up with a better argument.

Nope, pop trash then, pop trash now.

Eli Price
Eli Price

Here's a red pill
almost any artist you heard of is compromised and the "underground" is about 1 notch better than the mainstream
most of the underground are just industry plants
there's nothing wrong with liking pop music just like there's nothing wrong with enjoying fast food every once in awhile
you can appreciate the art of crafting a catchy song or the art of a good mix on a song on the radio
your beloved underground heroes are just as manufactured unless they are literally nowhere to be found in music reviews and publications
local music is about as close as you'll get to real, and unless you're in a big city you know that's a shitshow

Benjamin Brooks
Benjamin Brooks

Stay

Isaac Gutierrez
Isaac Gutierrez

He's probably a classicalfag

Daniel Sullivan
Daniel Sullivan

this. why even come to Sup Forums? aren't normies supposed to have friends or something?

Angel Kelly
Angel Kelly

Broccoli was a banger

Ayden Jenkins
Ayden Jenkins

they're failed normies

Benjamin Hughes
Benjamin Hughes

I remember liking this one
youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8

Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson

You're kidding, right?

I don't like mainstream pop music. This is just a song that I happen to like. And who are you to assume that because I like one mainstream song, means I like mainstream music?

You are the one who should kill yourself, for putting down someone else's music tastes. Forget that mainstream music is actually shit; you're a cunt fag for saying such things.

Grow some balls and shut up.

Brody Smith
Brody Smith

t. mid-20 year old in his third "I have it all figured out" phase

Matthew Green
Matthew Green

This is terribly inaccurate and mired with insipid claims.

First off, hipsters eschew those stereotypes because of their lack of self-awareness. They are highly indebted to their own illusions, in that they believe that their own personality, tastes and individuality are unique. Sadly, they fail to grasp how homogeneous their kind is, due to a superiority complex where they believe their tastes usurp others. In this regard, they're merely "special snowflakes" incapable of realizing their commonalities. And this flawed logic that one is unable to assign labels to others proves how utterly hopeless you are. Every, and all people, cultures and ideas employ characteristics that not only define them individually, but can also be compared with, and grouped by, observable similarities. Any rational human being knows how to properly analyze, classify and divide things depending on what phenomena exists. This does not exempt hipsters from the same classification. With the advent of independent culture becoming well known from the outside world, and actual, real life observations of people interactive with said culture, many have considered them hipsters because of their enjoyment of obscure music, TV shows, and sense of clothing. Most importantly, however, is that because of their inability to perceive themselves in an unpretentious manner, misinformed people fall susceptible to their tricks, exactly like you are doing. They become indoctrinated into believing that hipsters are completely different, when in reality, their interests easily align with others.

TL;DR - If you believe hipsters don't exist, then you're not only a plebeian, but an unaware, self-absorbed hipster in denial. Fucking idiot.

Mason Jackson
Mason Jackson

niggas still can't tell pasta when they see it after all these years

Leo Miller
Leo Miller

lol...

Kayden Gutierrez
Kayden Gutierrez

is this now a 2 part pasta

Austin Brooks
Austin Brooks

unironically this

David Lopez
David Lopez

not only is this pasta is at least 6 years old but this is a laughable response to it

Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Terrible description. Pop music doesn't necessarily mean music made for wide consumption. There is plenty of obscure pop music that was never made for consumption. Ubiquity doesn't necessarily equal pop music. Otherwise, dream pop, glitch pop, chamber pop, indie pop and baroque pop would each have as much commercial success as dance-pop common on the Hot 100. Pop focuses on simplicity and traditionalist structures as their core of music, heavily reliant on traditionalist melodies and V-C-V structure, along with austerity and catchiness. It doesn't mean other genres that aren't pop can't be widely known. For example, Alternative Rock combines some of that simplicity with the guitar dynamics of Rock and underground/unconventional ideas. Indie and Alternative music should not be defined by how popular or omnipresent the music is, but its uniqueness in sound/instrumental techniques from traditional pop/hip-hop/country. And no, I don't agree with the classification of "Pop, Classical, Traditional Folk and Art" music, as it's too generalized and fails to consider the uniqueness of different genres/styles/ideas.

Benjamin Campbell
Benjamin Campbell

There is plenty of obscure pop music that was never made for consumption.
Like what?

Gabriel Torres
Gabriel Torres

You are creative
Thank you, user

Ethan Gutierrez
Ethan Gutierrez

i just want to say the only reason everyone disagrees with this post is because anyone with taste is currently in a different thread.

Lucas Howard
Lucas Howard

And no, I don't agree with the classification of "Pop, Classical, Traditional Folk and Art" music, as it's too generalized and fails to consider the uniqueness of different genres/styles/ideas.
Like what? Maybe you just don't understand it.

Connor Nelson
Connor Nelson

I am a pretentious hipster and i have no shame in that

top 40 music is absolute fucking corporate garbage

Leo Jackson
Leo Jackson

i am a pretentious hipster, you all should be if you post here, fucking pitchfork fags. you wanna talk top 40, reddit.com and twitter are that way.

Grayson Jackson
Grayson Jackson

see the entire 80s minimal wave movement

Austin Adams
Austin Adams

Like what specifically?

Joseph White
Joseph White

Ive heard some of that stuff on youtube.

Blake Foster
Blake Foster

Gucci gang

Dominic Gutierrez
Dominic Gutierrez

Pop music is absolute fucking mediocrity that doesnt aspire to anything beyond extracting the wealth of moronic teens with disposable income

Attached: apu-disdain-for-plebes.jpg (38 KB, 657x635)

Jackson James
Jackson James

it's great isn't it ?

tara cross
also this is seen as a forgotten classic:
youtube.com/watch?v=wLStZ21EzDM
john maus is a more modern example of 80s worship except with talent and self-awareness

digressing, pretty much anything that's directly influenced from the likes of brian wilson or phil spector (the high llamas and early magnetic fields, respectively) is bound to be great pop music that unfortunately nobody gives a shit about.

Jeremiah Smith
Jeremiah Smith

No we're all just introverted cucks.

Cooper Powell
Cooper Powell

I don't need to prove myself to you faggot, I'm not a fucking pop music chart drone.

Levi Clark
Levi Clark

historically ignorant trogs. you kids honestly deserve your boring indie-cindy music and complacent nigger rap.

Brandon Davis
Brandon Davis

Sup Forums's taste in pop was never that great desu, it was bs like fun. and lana del rey that got hype not better artists.

Connor Miller
Connor Miller

Counting Stars (just barely within the limit)
Despacito is okay

honestly can't think of any more

Tyler Peterson
Tyler Peterson

What? You want mw to learn about the history of pop music? You want me to see pop music in a intellectual and artistic manner? Huh? Do I look like a fanook to you?

Joseph Rogers
Joseph Rogers

Daft Punk - Get Lucky was pretty good
M83 - Midnight City although that might have been 2012

Colton Gray
Colton Gray

I meant mass consumption, but I addressed these my post already.
"Otherwise, dream pop, glitch pop, chamber pop, indie pop, jangle pop*, ambient pop*, hypnagogic pop*, folk pop*, art pop*, progressive pop*, jazz pop*, noise pop* and baroque pop would each have as much commercial success as dance-pop common on the Hot 100."

*Other subgenres of pop I didn't include on my original post.

Anyway, those genres aren't nearly as well known, commercialized and manufactured as actual Top 40 pop music. Many of these genres were made in obscurity, and only a select few musicians have managed to become successful in such genres.

Isaiah Morales
Isaiah Morales

"Pop" can either mean a general music style/structure or just popular music in general. When talking about top 40 pop I'm just going to assume they mean mainstream popular music and not shit like big star or ariel pink or whatever that is technically pop music but not popular or for radio audiences

Joshua Reyes
Joshua Reyes

Dua Lipa is fucking trash and is an industry plant kys shill

Hunter Young
Hunter Young

yeah essentially. just sad, really. there's so much incredible pop out there it's not even funny, especially from the 60s and 80s.

such as:
youtube.com/watch?v=LM33aondFAI
youtube.com/watch?v=8MBaGzuvCDk
youtube.com/watch?v=MLd_N6CFBwY

i'd prefer if you learned about something before speaking on it. it's called intellectual honesty, something you clearly lack.

Austin Murphy
Austin Murphy

how could anyone deny that groove
youtu.be/nfs8NYg7yQM

Isaac Baker
Isaac Baker

fuck
why this chick got to be so hot though

David Moore
David Moore

elastic heart is great

Oliver Brooks
Oliver Brooks

Christine and the Queens - Tilted was good. She's ridiculously energetic live too.

inb4 "her original French version was better"

Also for some reason Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm recently.

Attached: 01-262646.jpg (158 KB, 400x400)

John Cook
John Cook

what the fuck is that

Camden Morris
Camden Morris

there was probably a period in my life when I believed shit like this unironically, although I'm not sure I would sold it quite this hard.

There are some people like this post describes, who can only enjoy saccharine escapist earworm shit and can't tolerate music with any depth. But of course claiming all pop listeners are like that is ridiculous. Plenty of people can enjoy pop music critically, for what it is, while also being able to appreciate more cerebral forms of music.

Charles Allen
Charles Allen

i like that oppenheimer band, i dont know much about them but i heard another song by him on youtube that is stuck in my head periodically

youtube.com/watch?v=caP3tAmMEbc

Cameron Cooper
Cameron Cooper

it's called marketing

Henry Anderson
Henry Anderson

im gonna dua her lipa if you get what im sayin

Nathaniel Powell
Nathaniel Powell

fuck

Luke Robinson
Luke Robinson

i know corporations run our lives and all that but surely they cant genetically engineer sexy pop stars in labs

Levi Wood
Levi Wood

When is this whole "le badass queen independent woman SLAYING" and all the girls wearing the same instagram makeup meme going to end

Nathaniel Butler
Nathaniel Butler

Did Happy come out in the past 5 years?

Gabriel Rodriguez
Gabriel Rodriguez

I'd fuck her in the ass user

Gavin Jones
Gavin Jones

youtube.com/watch?v=TeccAtqd5K8

Kevin Powell
Kevin Powell

Probably 2020s, the marketers are going to shift from #woke social justice and girl power to something new, it'll get stale by then, especially if Trump gets out of office, then you'll see this shit dial down even less.

Lincoln Scott
Lincoln Scott

youtu.be/wHJL8VidJDU
youtu.be/C2HzwODx9sE
youtu.be/CIELYkfoKy8

Ethan Thompson
Ethan Thompson

this

Dylan Harris
Dylan Harris

this is the fucking worst only because of how transparently manufactured it all is
you had every basic bitch raving over the last beyonce album because of all the "strong independent woman who don't need no man" shit and how she was "clapping back" at jay-z even though it was first released on his streaming service

Aaron Nelson
Aaron Nelson

I don't think it's going to stop.
Chicks want to feel strong and independent its that smipole

Noah Hall
Noah Hall

Futurepop
Now KYS

Dominic Williams
Dominic Williams

tara cross
Not pop
john maus
Not pop
(the high llamas and early magnetic fields, respectively)
Not pop. That's indie pop and indie rock.
Not pop

Justin Stewart
Justin Stewart

Not pop.

Christian Nguyen
Christian Nguyen

i'm afraid pedantry is not an argument.

Asher Ross
Asher Ross

indie pop
pop

Attached: 1518124018453.png (777 KB, 600x600)

Josiah Murphy
Josiah Murphy

It has pop in the name and is structured like pop. It's pop.

Isaiah Bailey
Isaiah Bailey

John Maus
not pop
John Maus is straight up trying to make 80s pop songs on his records, that's what he's going for most of the time. His music usually gets called synthpop or "hypnagogic pop", two genres with the word pop in it.

Eli Sanchez
Eli Sanchez

whag mainstrem rock radio station plays touche? lol

Adrian Martin
Adrian Martin

Indie Pop is Pop, just meshed with quirkier, underground sensibilities. Just because it isn't ubiquitous doesn't mean it's not pop. As aforementioned, many pop artists aren't well known or in the mainstream, yet their music employs characteristics of pop music. It emphasizes melodies and catchiness. In the case of Indie Pop, it usually takes many weird, esoteric and bizzare styles of music, such as obscure instruments and unprecedented chord progression, tempos, time signatures and melodies and merges them into a simpler form of music.

Andrew Nguyen
Andrew Nguyen

He's probably trolling.

Luis Thomas
Luis Thomas

This band wasn't very popular commercially, but you can't tell me this isn't pop music

youtube.com/watch?v=SmJ3zOn9RD8

Brayden Hall
Brayden Hall

Indie Pop is Pop
Nope
two genres with the word pop in it.
Don't be stupid
It has pop in the name
kek
"I don't know what pop is" is also not an argument
Not how it works

Juan Foster
Juan Foster

yet their music employs characteristics of pop music
=/= Pop music
It's not. It's alt-rock.

Anthony Martinez
Anthony Martinez

didn't read the rest of the sentence
It's like you don't like facts.

Christopher Ross
Christopher Ross

You don't know what pop is either judging by your post

Nathaniel Ortiz
Nathaniel Ortiz

How so?
What "facts" did you post?

Chase Cox
Chase Cox

youtube.com/watch?v=LsoLEjrDogU

John Evans
John Evans

How about you read it from start you finish instead of conveniently omitting the rest of the sentence

Dylan Young
Dylan Young

it's influenced by pop structures so it must be pop
Sorry I choose not to acknowledge idiocy

Austin Williams
Austin Williams

I don't like it so it's idiotic
Not how it works; if it's accessable, catchy, and uncomplicated it's pop.

Jaxson Rogers
Jaxson Rogers

Anything with Bruno Mars and for songs probably Riptide or Pumped Up Kicks.

Michael Sanders
Michael Sanders

Oh were did I say I don't like pop music?
if it's accessable, catchy, and uncomplicated it's pop.
That's like saying if it's fast, it's punk.

Evan Morris
Evan Morris

False equivalence, "fast" is a single and general characteristic and I've listed several that are undisputedly peculiar to and resembling of pop music.

Zachary Wilson
Zachary Wilson

"fast" is a single and general characteristic
So is "accessible" "catchy" and "uncomplicated"
I've listed several
But not all qualifiers. Again, you don't seem to know much about pop music.

Josiah Hernandez
Josiah Hernandez

It's as though you intentionally omit full sentences to exclude points. Sorry user, but that's not a substantial way to counter an opponent. I'll reiterate:
It's a genre defined as music with accessibility, simplicity, often featuring hooks and has the potential to reach a wide audience.
As long as it meets those guidelines, it's pop because it adheres to the core characteristics. You can't say it's not because the only qualifier is popular.

Christian Williams
Christian Williams

Battles is pop, VU is pop, kate bush is pop

Ayden Peterson
Ayden Peterson

See

We already addressed that

Also you didn't answer my question. Try again?

Colton Smith
Colton Smith

What the fuck are you on about? Literally everyone in the thread has proved why your perception of pop music is naive and utterly idiotic. Pop music has always emphasized SIMPLICITY and TRADITIONALISM over complexity and innovation (though some pop genres have made innovative pieces while staying true to its pop roots). Since you seem to disagree with all of the definitions listed here, why don't you give your own idea of what pop music is?

David James
David James

I'm still on the fence about her music but there's still something captivating about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=r-AuLm7S3XE

Julian Thompson
Julian Thompson

No, you'd addressed what you cherry-picked.

Grayson Diaz
Grayson Diaz

Literally everyone in the thread has proved why your perception of pop music is naive and utterly idiotic
Which posts? None of them have.
Pop music has always emphasized SIMPLICITY and TRADITIONALISM over complexity and innovation
Oh like Folk music?

Jackson Ross
Jackson Ross

this but completely unironically

Samuel Lopez
Samuel Lopez

How so?

You gave a limited definition of pop music, and I called you on it. Don't get mad at me you cherry picked some criteria and ignored others.

Logan Lopez
Logan Lopez

Not caring at all whether this counts as pop
youtube.com/watch?v=LkIWmsP3c_s

Luke Scott
Luke Scott

Start learning about pop music history

Attached: 1494982724264.jpg (103 KB, 932x932)

Nicholas Sanders
Nicholas Sanders

Imagine being this absolutely retarded, holy fuck
I feel so bad for you bud

Luis Rodriguez
Luis Rodriguez

i win
youtube.com/watch?v=tGRzz0oqgUE

Cooper Baker
Cooper Baker

Except for the fact that Folk music heavily relies on guitar-based dynamics mixed with more naturalistic lyricism detailing the beauty of the great outdoors, or more earthly topics. Pop music, while still adhering to its simplicity, can employ multiple styles and ideas, such as the aforementioned genres here: (). It doesn't limit itself to certain lyrical themes, instead utilizing a myriad of topics/concepts and instrumentation.

Parker Williams
Parker Williams

Anything by the Weeknd.

Jordan Long
Jordan Long

Except for the fact that Folk music heavily relies on guitar-based dynamics mixed with more naturalistic lyricism detailing the beauty of the great outdoors, or more earthly topics.
Nice backpedaling

Joseph Davis
Joseph Davis

What? How was my post retarded? It perfectly explained why the hipster subculture exists, and refuted his moronic points.

Ayden Moore
Ayden Moore

What backpedaling? Are you retarded?

Liam Perez
Liam Perez

None of that matters, because according to you, if it's catchy, simple and accessible, it's pop.

Jackson Ross
Jackson Ross

elevates you to true pop enlightenment

Attached: 1506215972887.jpg (642 KB, 900x900)

Xavier Bailey
Xavier Bailey

I'm sorry user, but an assumption is not the correct way to argue.
As for your cherry picking, you failed to recognize how such characteristics are undeniably peculiar (though not exclusive to) pop. By doing so, you've altered the meaning to suggest that I meant the words individually rather than accepting them as units to a cohesive thing, which is why it's incomparable to you only providing only one absent of supporting adjectives or clarifications.

Oliver Harris
Oliver Harris

that doesn't even happen you fucking mong

Colton Allen
Colton Allen

Wrong dude, dude.

Samuel Powell
Samuel Powell

Glad I assumed nothing then
As for your cherry picking
When did I do that?
characteristics are undeniably peculiar (though not exclusive to)
Irrelevant
I meant the words individually rather than accepting them as units to a cohesive thing,
Except there are a number of additional units you are excluding (intentionally?). That's the problem
Not an argument

David Anderson
David Anderson

Gangnam Style

Xavier Cox
Xavier Cox

youtube.com/watch?v=w1oM3kQpXRo
Released as a single in 2013

Jordan Bennett
Jordan Bennett

Incorrect, you've assumed I've had emotional investment that's clouded rationality, though I've done nothing to lead one to be reasonably convinced of me doing so. It is therefore, a bare assertion.
When did I do that
Please reread the post and previous ones.
Irrelevant
Logically incorrect, having defining characteristics to a genre are necessary to even argue what qualifies.
On the so-called omissions of defining characteristics: perhaps I was too unclear. I was providing a fundamental core to what pop music, or pop at it's most basic and rudimentary traits. Explicitly, I say to you: don't think I'm suggesting what I said was all there was to pop, because I'm not. I'm supplying some necessary parameters to more precisely discuss the point of my above refutation.

Finally, it indeed was not an argument: I was telling you that you're confusing a different poster for me.

Camden Baker
Camden Baker

Prove you're not a pretentious hipster
Sure.
Post a top 40 pop song you love
Easy.
In the past 5 years
Uhhh...

Nathan Powell
Nathan Powell

you've assumed I've had emotional investment that's clouded rationality
[citation needed]
Please reread the post and previous ones.
Quote the post
having defining characteristics to a genre are necessary to even argue what qualifies.
Oh you agree with me then
I was providing a fundamental core to what pop music, or pop at it's most basic and rudimentary traits
Sounds like your mistake then
don't think I'm suggesting what I said was all there was to pop,
So you misspoke
I was telling you that you're confusing a different poster for me.
I have not.

Juan King
Juan King

I am a pretentious hipster

Jonathan Price
Jonathan Price

Evidently, you have mistaken a different poster for me.
On the assumption you made: see the last clause

The post you had responded to, everything was already supplied.

Also, if you couldn't tell I admitted to making a mistake and misspeaking, that comment's redundant.

Attached: 20180314-225637.png (187 KB, 720x1121)

David Roberts
David Roberts

lmao

Jace Gomez
Jace Gomez

since u been gone is my JAM

Jose Bennett
Jose Bennett

all my favorite pop hits were released before 2012
im ok with being a hipster

Tyler Lee
Tyler Lee

Honestly the ultimate achievement in musical taste is being able to enjoy good music in any genre

youtu.be/dMK_npDG12Q

Levi Watson
Levi Watson

Best post itt

Alexander Gutierrez
Alexander Gutierrez

24k magic unironically

Charles Brooks
Charles Brooks

Jokes on you cause SCUUUUUMMMGAAAAANNNGG

youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyfVh3nmU

6 years counts as well

Nathaniel Gomez
Nathaniel Gomez

(You)

also lmoa what arguement?

all you said was that pop music is boring and then proceeded to ad hominen every single person who enjoys pop music

Justin Collins
Justin Collins

Gotta admit, it bangs. But I keep telling myself it's shitty throwaway pop just so I don't have to listen to all of Melodrama

Jacob Wood
Jacob Wood

This guy gets it

Easton Peterson
Easton Peterson

With the advent of independent culture becoming well known from the outside world, and actual, real life observations of people interactive with said culture, many have considered them hipsters because of their enjoyment of obscure music, TV shows, and sense of clothing
Many, not all - do you realize what this means? There isn't a clearly identifiable pattern or a definition.
They become indoctrinated into believing that hipsters are completely different, when in reality, their interests easily align with others.
Which interests, with whom, why? Again, vague, up to anyone's interpretation. If you haven't noticed, you couldn't have been any more precise or direct. And why?
That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

Thomas Evans
Thomas Evans

I actually haven't listened to the rest of the album. I have a hard time believing it's nearly as good as Green Light

Ayden Powell
Ayden Powell

Clairo's discog

Attached: 1521085901671.jpg (129 KB, 675x1200)

Oliver Cox
Oliver Cox

This is a terrible song by every objective metric but I can't help but sing along to it

Attached: Closer-(featuring-Halsey)-(Official-Single-Cover)-by-The-Chainsmokers.png (111 KB, 300x300)

Robert Nguyen
Robert Nguyen

Paramore, Kendrick Lamar, Carly Rae Jepson, Lorde, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, Kanye West

Sebastian Lee
Sebastian Lee

disgusting

Attached: Screen-Shot-2018-03-15-at-02.56.00.png (74 KB, 146x312)

Nathaniel Lopez
Nathaniel Lopez

youtube.com/watch?v=b0X0Yrbnrqg

Jace Garcia
Jace Garcia

easy
youtube.com/watch?v=iGk5fR-t5AU
youtube.com/watch?v=L_u97PqWX6g
youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1VUa99-tJqs
youtube.com/watch?v=_1zq0J-wCjw

ok I'm done for now, I doubt anyone even replies in these threads so whatever I'm just gonna do a judgement post

Attached: 21150148-2015139408730873-2869939011660573345-n.jpg (53 KB, 960x600)

Easton Rogers
Easton Rogers

gay

even gayer

nice epic novel tolstoy

why?

cool, but kind of a photo op huh? also god i dead

semi valid point. in comparison to kyuss qotsa will always be boring and stiff

it really doesn't though, its pretty damn corny, and why do people enjoy listening to short dudes sing about how rich they are so much?

more like it

agreed

this would be the best pop song of the year if it weren't for that ill fitting ass feature

elaborate, you might be on to something

she's very good despite being a symptom of the times we live in

this is just objectively a bad song

I can almost guarantee you're a boring person

kek

your virginity is showing

you are correct

the beach boys are good

t. patrician

bad tasted

lorde is good

yall are the people i really don't like

my self

Attached: 21462490-857510884423955-8723063360025210347-n.jpg (52 KB, 640x960)

Lincoln Collins
Lincoln Collins

Being a hipster is the coolest thing you could do though. I refuse your attempts at shaming me.

Jonathan Brooks
Jonathan Brooks

definitely check out truffle butter by nicki minaj if you liked swish swish

Jonathan Bennett
Jonathan Bennett

you've got decent enough opinions for me to know that one day, you'll come back to 24k magic, take one whiff at the craftsmanship and wonder what the hell you were on when you decided it was categorically unfit for listening

Carson Morales
Carson Morales

the fact that it mercilessly flaunts materialism is initially what turned me off. and sometimes i an overlook this if its at least somewhat enjoyable ironically. but its just so damn vanilla. its the musical equivalent to missionary sex with a 15 year old

John Hughes
John Hughes

Saying all pop music is bad is actually the most creatively lazy argument because all you've done is do everything you've described in your post but one step down the track.

Sebastian Wilson
Sebastian Wilson

I have a hard time believing it's nearly as good as Green Light

lmao prepare to be astonished, Listen to literally the song after. Melodrama is a true AOTY contender.

Andrew Morgan
Andrew Morgan

I don't know, was Lana Del Rey in the Top 40 with anything from Ultraviolence? Otherwise, I can't think of anything. I mostly listen to music that is older than five years though because it's been a while since I was a teenager.

Nathan Hughes
Nathan Hughes

If I look like a pretentious hipster...will people assume I have a trust fund?? I want people to think that about me

Dylan Williams
Dylan Williams

Sup Forums needs elitism now more than ever

Adam Wright
Adam Wright

I thought Sup Forums is only for 18 y/o and over

Jonathan Edwards
Jonathan Edwards

"hipster" isnt a thing anymore. Whenever i see someone use that word I know they are still stuck in 2012 reddit

Nicholas Harris
Nicholas Harris

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?

Adam Foster
Adam Foster

the obvious pick

Grayson Miller
Grayson Miller

youtube.com/watch?v=RPrZUiDVHrM

this desu

Gabriel Jones
Gabriel Jones

i

uhh

i wanna hold your hand by the

uh

beatles

Adrian Brooks
Adrian Brooks

This thread is a marketing ploy

Kayden Gutierrez
Kayden Gutierrez

Having good taste means liking everything
Especially because some user on Sup Forums asserted this

Ethan Jones
Ethan Jones

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.
It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Negro

Jose Lewis
Jose Lewis

pasta for dinner
pasta for dessert

Attached: 1444789136104.png (87 KB, 275x266)

Joshua Cook
Joshua Cook

Evidently, you have mistaken a different poster for me.
Again, I have not. I am aware I am speaking two several people, and I've conducted my conversation to reply to a statement directly. Perhaps you are intentionally being misleading?

So you admit your mistake? Yes or no question.

Elijah Green
Elijah Green

pop music is ba-

Attached: trillercoverfront.jpg (33 KB, 500x500)

Kayden Jenkins
Kayden Jenkins

Many, not all - do you realize what this means? There isn't a clearly identifiable pattern or a definition.
Generalizations aren't supposed to apply to all situations or details perfectly; they represent the majority, or bigger picture. The forest for the trees, if you put it simply. The majority of people agree that hipsters exist and they collectively fit these observations of enjoying indie music, obscure forms of media, and unique clothing.
Which interests, with whom, why?
"because of their enjoyment of obscure music, TV shows, and sense of clothing."
Hipsters objectively partake in independent culture, reading from Pitchfork and using RYM, to enjoying esoteric forms of media. You might think that their interests are completely different (which is highly unwarranted), but in reality, they all follow the same traits; they seek and explore unpopular forms of media and act pretentious around people unfamiliar with their tastes. It's happened a plethora of times, enough to justify the existence of hipsters.
That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.
By that logic, I don't use African American gangsters to describe an actual group of people either, just to describe a stereotype as an outlet for anything I hate. See how flawed that is? You can say such a statement for literally any generalization or stereotype.

Thomas Cox
Thomas Cox

By that logic, I don't use African American gangsters to describe an actual group of people either, just to describe a stereotype as an outlet for anything I hate. See how flawed that is? You can say such a statement for literally any generalization or stereotype.
False equivalency.

Black gangs actually exist. Hipsters do not.

Ayden Baker
Ayden Baker

implying I've listened to music in the last 5 years

Justin Scott
Justin Scott

Yes, they do, you fucking idiot. As aforementioned plenty of times, hipsters are grouped together and identified because of their affinity for independent, underground culture.

Adam Baker
Adam Baker

affinity for independent, underground culture.
You mean punks?

Not really.

David Barnes
David Barnes

independent culture
Is that why they all look the same?

Fucking idiot.

Benjamin Perry
Benjamin Perry

You are creative, spiritually and morally
What a lovely guy

Kayden Turner
Kayden Turner

new rules, actually

Samuel Williams
Samuel Williams

WAHHHH!! STOP INSULTING MY WAAAIIIFUUUUU!

lol pleb

Attached: 1512697551343.png (254 KB, 381x403)

Isaiah Anderson
Isaiah Anderson

youtu.be/LPTlvQ1Zet0

Brody Green
Brody Green

ric flair drip go woo on a bitch

Grayson Adams
Grayson Adams

224 posts
110 ip's
really jogs the noggin

Attached: 1519763051951.jpg (15 KB, 403x422)

Xavier Phillips
Xavier Phillips

Hotline bling is unironically a good song.
Maybe that goty song too

Luis Mitchell
Luis Mitchell

does kpop counts?

Austin Rivera
Austin Rivera

everyone is a hipster now anyway

Lucas Rivera
Lucas Rivera

WOOOOO

Ethan Evans
Ethan Evans

Punks and hipsters are almost entirely separate, idiot.

If they all look the same, then they can be easily grouped as the same, retard. Hipsters think they're special, but they aren't from any intelligent observer, something you are not.

Eli Sanchez
Eli Sanchez

Punks and hipsters are almost entirely separate, idiot.
That's the point you retard. The criteria is wrong

David Murphy
David Murphy

Punks - punk rock
Hipsters - indie rock

Punk music ≠ indie rock. Hipsters enjoy indie rock more than punk rock. Punk was much more mainstream than Indie ever was Fucking retard.

encyclopediadramatica.rs/Hipster

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Indie&ved=2ahUKEwi-172N5e7ZAhVHyWMKHdvQDuEQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3RKtp7PZiO-Xz9KV6wBAMm

Christian Evans
Christian Evans

24k magic

Daniel Wright
Daniel Wright

I know a hipster when I see one!
Pic related.

Also
encyclopediadramatica as a source
/b/

Attached: hipsters.jpg (279 KB, 776x588)

Isaiah Gonzalez
Isaiah Gonzalez

I like this song

Jordan Turner
Jordan Turner

Fucking gayass

Carson Scott
Carson Scott

Attached: 1505693566069.gif (253 KB, 300x191)

Nicholas Phillips
Nicholas Phillips

Ironic tee-shit across is hipster. Chain ends at Unicorn who is nouveau beatnik.

Anthony Clark
Anthony Clark

Ironic tee-shit across is hipster
It can't be because all those gents look different though.

Maybe you're just insecure.

Caleb James
Caleb James

+200 replies and nobody posts fucking Kungs

youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6Nne8RvaA

Jayden Smith
Jayden Smith

Havana
Formation
Gucci Gang
Bad & Boujee
Suit & Tie

Although I only remember the top and bottom ones of these being on our top 40 often so idk. Most of my other listening's contemporary classical, synthwave, and vaporwave these days so it's really just me chancing on this stuff minus the Timberlake since I have always enjoyed him at the newest record.

Anthony Clark
Anthony Clark

NIGGAS IFFY UH

Unironically. Retarded party trap is more fun than most of the other boring stuff that usually fills the top 40

Owen Diaz
Owen Diaz

XO Tour Lif3
Humble
Probably a Carly Rae Jepson song that got up there
Some Bruno Mars shit
Green Light

Blake Martinez
Blake Martinez

you can read the threads but please dont post before you are 18

Andrew Watson
Andrew Watson

youtube.com/watch?v=ME9x1mSNv-w

Robert White
Robert White

Unban me

Brody Morgan
Brody Morgan

easy

Attached: portugal-the-man-feel-it-still-920[1].jpg (55 KB, 920x510)

Dylan White
Dylan White

Why are the shittiest opinions always the most vocal?

David Nelson
David Nelson

youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY

Jordan Phillips
Jordan Phillips

WOW THATS EBIN, YOU SURE PROVED THAT user WRONG! XDDDDD

Jose Scott
Jose Scott

im 30 and i approve this song

youtube.com/watch?v=ypPSrRYOAj4

Jason Foster
Jason Foster

I came to terms with being a pretensious hipster a long time ago, you ought to as well.

Attached: 1494555240016.jpg (52 KB, 266x375)

Luke Bennett
Luke Bennett

youtube.com/watch?v=UceaB4D0jpo

Adrian Thomas
Adrian Thomas

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own). One may be quick to coin such interests and garb as "black-rimmed glasses, flannel, and indie music," however said mainstream-avoiding "hipsters" will logically turn down abiding to such a popular consensus, voiding the interpretation null.

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

Jaxon Torres
Jaxon Torres

no I didnt, silly (you)
I just reminded him of the guidelines

Robert Thomas
Robert Thomas

Mel C - Never Be The Same Again

Christopher Bailey
Christopher Bailey

I think Major Lazer's music is pretty good in general.

Oliver Wright
Oliver Wright

Anything by Imagine Dragons or Awolnation desu

Angel Hall
Angel Hall

Hotline Bling was my first thought.
youtube.com/watch?v=uxpDa-c-4Mc

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit