Prove you're not a pretentious hipster...

Prove you're not a pretentious hipster. Post a top 40 pop song you love that's been in the charts in the past five years.

Attached: dualipa-newrules.jpg (644x360, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eiDiKwbGfIY
youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0
youtu.be/hu9pTGFjA4c
youtube.com/watch?v=xpVfcZ0ZcFM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m9zhNAgKs
youtube.com/watch?v=HCjNJDNzw8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf
youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8
youtube.com/watch?v=93ASUImTedo
youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8
youtube.com/watch?v=wLStZ21EzDM
youtube.com/watch?v=LM33aondFAI
youtube.com/watch?v=8MBaGzuvCDk
youtube.com/watch?v=MLd_N6CFBwY
youtu.be/nfs8NYg7yQM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll post them when they start making good ones

youtube.com/watch?v=eiDiKwbGfIY

youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

You're so late to the fucking party

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own). One may be quick to coin such interests and garb as "black-rimmed glasses, flannel, and indie music," however said mainstream-avoiding "hipsters" will logically turn down abiding to such a popular consensus, voiding the interpretation null.

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

Fuck that. Here's a better song.
youtu.be/hu9pTGFjA4c

Bruno Mars, list goes on

my point still stands
derivative pseudo funk is none of my interest

Where have you been? Hipsters actually are into Top 40 now.

I have no idea what's charing right now, and what isn't. But for recent mainstream artists, I like Touché Amoré, Behemoth, The Libertines, Benjamin Booker, Fat White Family, TV On the Radio, Marina & The Diamonds, and The xx, and at least a couple of those must have had hits.

youtube.com/watch?v=xpVfcZ0ZcFM
[Embed]

Mark Ronson is probably one of the most innovative pop producers of our era. You're just a pretentious hipster that's all.

No. The hipsters on Sup Forums all think obscure = good, inaccessible = more sophisticated

thats why he made queens of the stone age boring and stiff right?

24k magic unironically goes hard, i love that shitty 80s kurtis blow rap style

i really hope you grow out of the "everyone wh listens to anything other than radio pop or dadrock is a hipster" phase. top 40 and mainstream hip hop is more popular on this board now than it has ever been. if you think this place is suffocatingly "hipster" i would hate to see what you'd think of 2012 Sup Forums.
closing yourself off from discovering music because you're too concerned with labels is dumb.
read the wiki and learn about discovering new music. most of the people here are elitist cunts in the same way that other boards like Sup Forums would be: half-jokingly.
the attitude you're displaying right now is only going to inhibit future music discussion.

This shit is a classic

Fuck. Ok link is fixed.

>top 40 and mainstream hip hop is more popular on this board now than it has ever been
this is a much better alternative than kids trying to out-edge each other by more and more absurd esoteric releases only ten people know about

Daft Punk - Get Lucky

is this seriously the only thing you took from my post

oh because fuck people for wanting to find new music lol

Unironically love this youtube.com/watch?v=HCjNJDNzw8Y

A lot of really grimy, underground rap is becoming normal mainstream shit so I guess that

Where are u now is a great song
I love it by icona pop
Happy was good before it got overplayed
Roar by Katy perry
I took a pill in Ibiza
Sorry by Biebs
Heathens by TOP (don't hate me it's their only good song)
That's what I like is the better of the Bruno mars hits
I'm what'd you call a pop patrician I can tell the good pop songs from the bad ;) I'm not a poptimist and lap up whatever is on the radio but I can recognize a good pop song when there is one.

T. Thinks migos is grimy

Cardi B has genuinely made some good hits, bartier cardi is a banger

This but unironically.

Joke's on you, I'm a pretentious hipster

thats how i like it went hard desu

>kids trying to out-edge each other by more and more absurd esoteric releases only ten people know about
When does this even happen on this board? Stop projecting ffs

The hipsters are correct then.

>he isn't a pretentious hipster
l m a o

Attached: I+make+everyone+laugh+hysterically+all+the+time+just+because+_f32a8bb8b45e2e1c2e80866f6e5df126.jpg (222x200, 5K)

nice but would never go out of my way to listen to/10

Riptide

Who the fuck are you and why do you think that you're important enough for me to care about proving myself to you?

youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf
ourgal miley obviously

lala ace - Danser dans le noir

Attached: d4ccd436f09b65abcf017c8efc1d25df.jpg (564x846, 54K)

fuck youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

Embarrassing post. You reek of underage.

This tbqh fampaitachi

black skinhead
the hills, starboy, and that other song he did with daft punk
xo tour life
summer

YO PIERRE YOU WANNA COME OUT HERE

Thrift Shop.

>there are people on this board who like pop music

I want teens and plebs to leave

Fancy by Iggy Azelia is my shit

Way back in the mid 2000s, before you were born, Gwen Stefani was dropping bangers left and right that I still unironically get down to today. Hollaback Girl, Cool, etc.

This.

Some Grimes song

Beyonce - ***Flawless

Swans - To Be Kind

youtube.com/watch?v=93ASUImTedo
Disclosure is really good.

>I enjoy pop music

If you enjoy pop music, you don't enjoy music. You enjoy consumer products specifically made for morons like you to numb the intense pointlessness of your own pathetic existences. You exist solely to consume like a snail forever eating the shit off the floor, begging for more, to forever be a slave. You are creative, intellectually, spiritually and morally bankrupt in every single way. I don't say this often, but actually end all of your lives, since you are a massive disgrace to those who enjoy music, factory made drivel.

To be a virgin 15 years old again

top 40 hasn't been even remotely tolerable since the 2000s. 60s were peak tho

I bet your breath smells like cum right now

>>>r/incel

i bet you like the beach boys

>If you enjoy music
>You don't enjoy music

Attached: momo getting stabbed in the fucking eye.jpg (639x647, 22K)

Proving my point. Please come up with a better argument.

Nope, pop trash then, pop trash now.

Here's a red pill
>almost any artist you heard of is compromised and the "underground" is about 1 notch better than the mainstream
>most of the underground are just industry plants
>there's nothing wrong with liking pop music just like there's nothing wrong with enjoying fast food every once in awhile
>you can appreciate the art of crafting a catchy song or the art of a good mix on a song on the radio
>your beloved underground heroes are just as manufactured unless they are literally nowhere to be found in music reviews and publications
>local music is about as close as you'll get to real, and unless you're in a big city you know that's a shitshow

Stay

He's probably a classicalfag

this. why even come to Sup Forums? aren't normies supposed to have friends or something?

Broccoli was a banger

they're failed normies

I remember liking this one
youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8

You're kidding, right?

I don't like mainstream pop music. This is just a song that I happen to like. And who are you to assume that because I like one mainstream song, means I like mainstream music?

You are the one who should kill yourself, for putting down someone else's music tastes. Forget that mainstream music is actually shit; you're a cunt fag for saying such things.

Grow some balls and shut up.

t. mid-20 year old in his third "I have it all figured out" phase

This is terribly inaccurate and mired with insipid claims.

First off, hipsters eschew those stereotypes because of their lack of self-awareness. They are highly indebted to their own illusions, in that they believe that their own personality, tastes and individuality are unique. Sadly, they fail to grasp how homogeneous their kind is, due to a superiority complex where they believe their tastes usurp others. In this regard, they're merely "special snowflakes" incapable of realizing their commonalities. And this flawed logic that one is unable to assign labels to others proves how utterly hopeless you are. Every, and all people, cultures and ideas employ characteristics that not only define them individually, but can also be compared with, and grouped by, observable similarities. Any rational human being knows how to properly analyze, classify and divide things depending on what phenomena exists. This does not exempt hipsters from the same classification. With the advent of independent culture becoming well known from the outside world, and actual, real life observations of people interactive with said culture, many have considered them hipsters because of their enjoyment of obscure music, TV shows, and sense of clothing. Most importantly, however, is that because of their inability to perceive themselves in an unpretentious manner, misinformed people fall susceptible to their tricks, exactly like you are doing. They become indoctrinated into believing that hipsters are completely different, when in reality, their interests easily align with others.

TL;DR - If you believe hipsters don't exist, then you're not only a plebeian, but an unaware, self-absorbed hipster in denial. Fucking idiot.

niggas still can't tell pasta when they see it after all these years

lol...

is this now a 2 part pasta

unironically this

not only is this pasta is at least 6 years old but this is a laughable response to it

Terrible description. Pop music doesn't necessarily mean music made for wide consumption. There is plenty of obscure pop music that was never made for consumption. Ubiquity doesn't necessarily equal pop music. Otherwise, dream pop, glitch pop, chamber pop, indie pop and baroque pop would each have as much commercial success as dance-pop common on the Hot 100. Pop focuses on simplicity and traditionalist structures as their core of music, heavily reliant on traditionalist melodies and V-C-V structure, along with austerity and catchiness. It doesn't mean other genres that aren't pop can't be widely known. For example, Alternative Rock combines some of that simplicity with the guitar dynamics of Rock and underground/unconventional ideas. Indie and Alternative music should not be defined by how popular or omnipresent the music is, but its uniqueness in sound/instrumental techniques from traditional pop/hip-hop/country. And no, I don't agree with the classification of "Pop, Classical, Traditional Folk and Art" music, as it's too generalized and fails to consider the uniqueness of different genres/styles/ideas.

>There is plenty of obscure pop music that was never made for consumption.
Like what?

>You are creative
Thank you, user

i just want to say the only reason everyone disagrees with this post is because anyone with taste is currently in a different thread.

>And no, I don't agree with the classification of "Pop, Classical, Traditional Folk and Art" music, as it's too generalized and fails to consider the uniqueness of different genres/styles/ideas.
Like what? Maybe you just don't understand it.

I am a pretentious hipster and i have no shame in that

top 40 music is absolute fucking corporate garbage

i am a pretentious hipster, you all should be if you post here, fucking pitchfork fags. you wanna talk top 40, reddit.com and twitter are that way.

see the entire 80s minimal wave movement

Like what specifically?

Ive heard some of that stuff on youtube.

Gucci gang

Pop music is absolute fucking mediocrity that doesnt aspire to anything beyond extracting the wealth of moronic teens with disposable income

Attached: apu disdain for plebes.jpg (657x635, 38K)

it's great isn't it ?

tara cross
also this is seen as a forgotten classic:
youtube.com/watch?v=wLStZ21EzDM
john maus is a more modern example of 80s worship except with talent and self-awareness

digressing, pretty much anything that's directly influenced from the likes of brian wilson or phil spector (the high llamas and early magnetic fields, respectively) is bound to be great pop music that unfortunately nobody gives a shit about.

No we're all just introverted cucks.

I don't need to prove myself to you faggot, I'm not a fucking pop music chart drone.

historically ignorant trogs. you kids honestly deserve your boring indie-cindy music and complacent nigger rap.

Sup Forums's taste in pop was never that great desu, it was bs like fun. and lana del rey that got hype not better artists.

Counting Stars (just barely within the limit)
Despacito is okay

honestly can't think of any more

What? You want mw to learn about the history of pop music? You want me to see pop music in a intellectual and artistic manner? Huh? Do I look like a fanook to you?

Daft Punk - Get Lucky was pretty good
M83 - Midnight City although that might have been 2012

I meant mass consumption, but I addressed these my post already.
>"Otherwise, dream pop, glitch pop, chamber pop, indie pop, jangle pop*, ambient pop*, hypnagogic pop*, folk pop*, art pop*, progressive pop*, jazz pop*, noise pop* and baroque pop would each have as much commercial success as dance-pop common on the Hot 100."

*Other subgenres of pop I didn't include on my original post.

Anyway, those genres aren't nearly as well known, commercialized and manufactured as actual Top 40 pop music. Many of these genres were made in obscurity, and only a select few musicians have managed to become successful in such genres.

"Pop" can either mean a general music style/structure or just popular music in general. When talking about top 40 pop I'm just going to assume they mean mainstream popular music and not shit like big star or ariel pink or whatever that is technically pop music but not popular or for radio audiences

Dua Lipa is fucking trash and is an industry plant kys shill

yeah essentially. just sad, really. there's so much incredible pop out there it's not even funny, especially from the 60s and 80s.

such as:
youtube.com/watch?v=LM33aondFAI
youtube.com/watch?v=8MBaGzuvCDk
youtube.com/watch?v=MLd_N6CFBwY

i'd prefer if you learned about something before speaking on it. it's called intellectual honesty, something you clearly lack.

how could anyone deny that groove
youtu.be/nfs8NYg7yQM

fuck
why this chick got to be so hot though