What was the most pretentious movie released in 2016?

What was the most pretentious movie released in 2016?

BVS

Neon Demon

Batman v Superman

Arrival

knight of cups

La La Land

Endless poetry

Make Happy

>watching movies released in 2016

Neither of these are pretentious, unless by pretentious you mean film I don't like

This whole thread sickens me. It shows how limited the horizon of Sup Forums anons become. What a shame. Do at least a few anons still go to festivals here?

Collateral Beauty. Will Smith is Oscar bait cancer.

La La Land is a live-action Disney movie. Except Disney movies have better soundtracks, characters, and the struggles faced by those characters aren't fucking retarded. Hollywood hasn't put out a movie this self-masturbatory since The Artist. It is honestly unbelievable how shallow this garbage is.

>dude just follow ur dreams no matter how delusional

The movie justifies this idiotic moral by having the characters achieve their insipid dreams through luck and happenstance rather than hard work. Mia shits out a single one-woman show and does one performance of it; of the 8 people in the crowd, one is a casting agent who falls in love with her and delivers her an A-list acting career on a silver platter. Seb's friend bumps into him, and immediately offers him a job. Following that, despite the decline of jazz in LA and having no experience running a business, Seb ends up owning a hugely successful jazz club. I am sure it is very easy to romanticize succeeding in Hollywood through dumb luck when the people making the film did just that.Many of the scenes in the film were homages, but it doesn't justify them. The overlong scenes of Seb and Mia dancing against romantic backgrounds get old very quickly, and just hammer home the fact that there is no substance to this film. It is also surprising that the relationship at the core of this film only came about due to coincidence; these two run into each other 3 times for no reason other than convenience for the writer.

Chazelle obviously has the self-awareness to realize how saccharine and empty the movie was. In order to make it seem like something other than a sugary bowl of sunshine, he attempts to give it a "bittersweet" ending, but he even fails here -- both characters get everything they wanted out of life.>b-but they don't end up together, they were meant for each other

You have to be a teen girl to even consider this line of thinking.
3/10 - at least it looked good.

Pretty sure will smith has never been oscar nominated

>this thread

Rogue One

Nice meme.

BvS. I bet Zack Snyder smells his own facts.

This

Legend of tarzan.

If you're talking about Bo Bornham you can kill yourself

He's been nominated twice (Ali and Pursuit of Happiness) and lost both times.

>pretentious
I've been seeing this more and more lately but I don't understand what it means in regards to film criticism.

I saw a whopping total of two (2) movies last year so I'm going to have to sit this one out.

Sup Forums ladies and gentlefriends

>He comes just for the memes

A film that tries too hard to be artsy, meaningful, dramatic, etc., but is really shit could be described as pretentious. Films like Seven Pounds, American Hustle, and the Butler are examples, and there are many more.

You mean two 2016 movies or two movies total? I don't watch many new movies and only saw two released last year, myself.