>10 (ten) Academy Awards nominations less than 10 years ago
>5 (five) statuettes won
>no one talks about it
>no one remembers it

explain

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qJdW0oqGX1c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

she's incredibly pretty. also in that knight movie with the guy who killed himself later with drugs.

Because it had basically nothing going for it except it's gimmick. Didn't resonate with anyone emotionally like La La Land has.

its one of those things that only people connected to the entertainment industry care about

the general public is not interested and does not relate to it

Truth here.
Movies about the cinema world are mostly interesting for insiders. Even Sunset Boulevard and Mullholland Drive are overrated in this regard.

no one saw it

in the past Oscar best picture winners usually made quite a bit of bank, ie Forrest Gump, Braveheart

i had a hunch they were going to do a darker ending where the car crash kills the woman and the man kills himself. i was hoping for like a sad ending where they show the newspaper and the woman making the front page while he would go unnoticed. but then it went happy and it was like that fake suspense was for nothing

Tbh, I don't remember 90% of movies that win Academy Awards.

It's a fine film, very good even. Best of the year, no, but better than so many shittier winners.

It got those only because of the incredible lobby from Weinstein. That's literally it. It's not a very good film and is probably one of Hazanavicius' weakest.

I personally liked this a lot more than La La Land.

>in the past Oscar best picture winners usually made quite a bit of bank

>let me list two exceptions as if they're the rule

... the academy awards are pretty regularly criticized for not picking "the big movie" of that year.

Ive made a thread or two about it.
people seem to like it and I though it was well deserved oscar.

The best score of the last 10 years.
Memorable gimmick

>BUT LE NOT EBIN SCI FI
>BUT NO BOST APOCLALTPYIC EPICCC
>NO VIOLENT CRIME EPIC!!!

What a coincidence. Plebs hate it, and educated people remember and like it.

Just a magical coincidence every time!

Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator,

even the lesser ones like Silence and Dances with Wolves made 200 mil and 400 mil respectively

It was only in the past 10 years they started awarding it to very small grossing films that didn't pass 100 mil or hover it

>it's gimmick
>it is gimmick
REEEEEEEEEEEe

Not Shannyn but they're both top qts

La La Land is already forgotten

Hazanavicius is actually pretty based. His OSS117 films are comedy kino. His first film is a meme cult film in France and a parody of Citizen Kane but it can't be translated into English.

If only because of how horrible 2011 was.

Like all oscar winners, it's irredeemable pleb shit

>it can't be translated into English.

What do you mean by this?

more people remember this movie than crash, thats for sure

>shame
>drive
well i guess you're right

Well Crash was the absolute worst, so that's not an achievement. In fact I can say Crash is probably more talked about and remembered because how crap was it.

No one talks about Avatar either and it has made 3 billion dollars

I mean well, The Artist gets more discussion on these sort of threads than Avatar does in the entire year

Oscars are total bullshit
This shouldn't be news

>this is what butthurt haters actually beleive

>It consists exclusively of extracts of old Warner Bros. films, put together and dubbed with new lines so as to create an entirely new film.
The comedy comes from how absurd the dubbing itself is, using experienced voice actors typically associated with serious movies, a lot of puns and cultural references, etc. Part of the cult surrounding it is because it only aired once on TV then disappeared due to copyrights but people kept it alive by sharing used VHS copies. He never made a cent off it but it got him a lot of attention, which allowed him to make OSS then the Artist.

You can find it with English subtitles but most of the humor is lost.
youtube.com/watch?v=qJdW0oqGX1c

> a parody of Citizen Kane
C'est du vol et du plagiat. J'aime pas trop les voleurs et les fils de putes.

Huh, that is interesting thanks user. I enjoyed the first OSS film, i think all ve seen of his besides The Artist.

Kaurismäki did it better

>le vrai prénom de Matt Houston c'est Gédebor parce que Gédebor Houston
How the fuck do you translate La Classe Américaine or Derrick contre Superman ?
It only works in French because it's full of jokes and cultural references that can only be made in French.

It didn't age well at all.

I thought it was great first time I saw it. It was just average the second time.

It was pretty good. The only movie I've ever taken my grandmother to.

Did you make out?

Am I the only one who actually likes that the academy does this? Even if the movies are shitty, the fact that they are shining the light on smaller movies means indie cinema isn't dying as quickly as it should be. Nobody would give a fuck and just see generic shit every year and award it. The Academy is actually actively helping out cinema by doing this, even though they continue to get shit on for it every year.

The reactions from normies are actually always about this.

>#oscarsowhite how come this mainstream movie with black people didn't win
>why no award for the dark knight
>why didn't leo win in the one movie I watched this year
>what the fuck are all these movies I only watch capeshit

>indie cinema
LOL

>Watching The Artist and not a film from the 10s 20s 30s 40s 50s

Because even if the movie is mediocre Hollywood loves handing out awards for movies about Hollywood.

>Even if the movies are shitty, the fact that they are shining the light on smaller movies means indie cinema isn't dying as quickly as it should be.
except they haven't done this at all. they've only focused on big picture shit/movies with well known actors. these flicks tend to have some "bait/hook" like slavery, holocaust, melodrama, etc. that the academy gobbles up.

foreigners.

Lie Lie Land is a live-action Disney movie. Except Disney movies have better soundtracks, characters, and the struggles faced by those characters aren't fucking retarded. Hollywood hasn't put out a movie this self-masturbatory since The Artist. It is honestly unbelievable how shallow this garbage is.

>dude just follow ur dreams no matter how delusional

The movie justifies this idiotic moral by having the characters achieve their insipid dreams through luck and happenstance rather than hard work. Mia shits out a single one-woman show and does one performance of it; of the 8 people in the crowd, one is a casting agent who falls in love with her and delivers her an A-list acting career on a silver platter. Seb's friend bumps into him, and immediately offers him a job. Following that, despite the decline of jazz in LA and having no experience running a business, Seb ends up owning a hugely successful jazz club. I am sure it is very easy to romanticize succeeding in Hollywood through dumb luck when the people making the film did just that.Many of the scenes in the film were homages, but it doesn't justify them. The overlong scenes of Seb and Mia dancing against romantic backgrounds get old very quickly, and just hammer home the fact that there is no substance to this film. It is also surprising that the relationship at the core of this film only came about due to coincidence; these two run into each other 3 times for no reason other than convenience for the writer.

Chazelle obviously has the self-awareness to realize how saccharine and empty the movie was. In order to make it seem like something other than a sugary bowl of sunshine, he attempts to give it a "bittersweet" ending, but he even fails here -- both characters get everything they wanted out of life.

>b-but they don't end up together, they were meant for each other

You have to be a teen girl to even consider this line of thinking.
3.5/10 - at least it looked good.

It is just literally a worse Singing in the Rain. Fuck The Artist.

Fucking this.

Worst oscar bait and worst oscar winner next to Sloomdog Millionaire

>these were the best movies of 2011

terrible year