Tfw know a movie is smart and well made but you can't get into it because you just don't have any personal connection...

>tfw know a movie is smart and well made but you can't get into it because you just don't have any personal connection to the material

What movie is it? For me it was pic related. Not trying to be fedora but I just don't care about religious missionaries.

exact same OP. Hard to care about some fairytale worshipping cult of pedophiles.

More films about science, less about made up children stories please.

i loved it and it's probably my second or third favorite movie but i can get the disconnect.

anything pushing the kind of running time of Silence is bound to be either loved for it's immersion and engrossing atmosphere or be viewed as self-indulgent.

IMO the sound design, the cinematography, set design, imagery, pacing, plot/themes, and acting (Garfield's accent was passable) were all crafted to create this beautiful experience for you to get absorbed by.

Its rare to get anything about the catholics in japan so i'll take it

I respected it as art, but I found it tedious to watch.

I also kept comparing the white missionaries in Japan to Muslim immigrants in Europe today and kind of saw the rationale in persecuting them.

There are aspects of this movie that I loved but as a big score guy the lack of music basically ruined the music for me

*ruined the movie

Shogun pls go back to the grave
Amen

Its hard to connect with because the movie is about the antagonists happily going to their deaths rather than admitting they were the antagonists.

As literally all christian persecution in japan was the fault of missionaries converting people before they knew the language. For guns.

This, it was really good.

>the movie is called silence

>DUDE WTF WHERES THE MUSIC

>Movie is called silence
>Still has dialogue

Nice argument retard

Here's that (You) (You) are so desperate for

My only issue with the movie is they had a 10/10 OST in the trailer but it wasn't even in the movie, I don't think it would have detracted from the movie.

It wasnt smart. It was garbage with high production values.

Is Kichijiro a better Christian than Rodrigues?

fucking idiot

the shogunate did not import millions of portuguese into their country

that's what's happening in Europe right now.

a better comparision is the fate of Christians in the middle east. the shogunate were basically the Islamic State

No.

Because he just thinks if he dies believing the sun only rises once every three days, he'll go to paladisu

There is no parallel because the entire kirishitan thing happened because the missionaries didn't realize they were creating a death-cult.

I thought it was good it didn't feel really long like the last Marty film I saw. It was certainly better than Manchester by the Sea.

I know this is bait looking for >fedora replies, but I actually feel this way.

Probably Being John Malkovich. I didnt find the story all that interesting. But i did like the scene were Malkovich went into his own conscious

question,

for those who saw it in theaters, did the japanese language parts have subtitles??

affirmative

You're a big score guy

Agree. I'm too lapsed to give a shit about Catholics undergoing a crisis of faith.

Yes. People pirating the movie are watching an incomplete version

You sound american.