What does Sup Forums think of the OP-1?

What does Sup Forums think of the OP-1?
youtu.be/BRjQz3zQ1-0

Attached: teenage-engineering-op-1_1_SYN0003986-000.jpg (1600x1600, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

equipboard.com/items/teenage-engineering-op-1-portable-synthesizer
youtu.be/W_SNpiQhVFY
youtu.be/fV8rCNp0Rlc
youtube.com/watch?v=5FW8QYt6bio
youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg
soundcloud.com/vermin_supreme/the-monkey-king-above-the-city-at-night
soundcloud.com/vermin_supreme/seventyninedollars
soundcloud.com/vermin_supreme/a-million-billion-children
youtu.be/euuIJQHun1s
youtu.be/IuzMG1Wt_pE
youtube.com/watch?v=CXBiYFoHsOg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's pretty cool for a portable syth/sequencer but fuck me is it expensive for what it is.
And before anybody calls me a poorfag, I mean overpriced for what other things you could buy for the same amount. You could get a really decent full size polysynth for that money.

Overpriced.

You're essentially paying for the display

I had one 6 years ago. I played with it on an Amtrack trip. That was fun. It did not interact well with any of my other equipment at home though, which made it pretty useless. I sold it.

The most expensive of all the chinese plastic toys you can get ahold of.

But it's not Chinese? Also, they are all metal and solidly built. You should be embarrassed for not knowing anything. Delete your post

What real use does this have other than portability.

There is no way people actually record with OP-1s.

You got it. The synth engine is nothing special on the OP-1. The display and build quality are it's greatest selling points.

equipboard.com/items/teenage-engineering-op-1-portable-synthesizer
134 professional artists use it
youtu.be/W_SNpiQhVFY

Over
Priced, but
1t one tho

youtu.be/fV8rCNp0Rlc

there would be a musical revolution if this thing was half its price
It could be the basis of music teaching of our era if classrooms could buy 20 of this for their courses

cringe

You can do the same thing with a $200 MIDI controller

I think it's great, wish I could get one.

Very expensive toy that doesn't do anything you couldn't do either for free or for cheap by some other means. Maybe makes sense if you have enough money you don't care about the price, are dedicated to working away from the computer for some reason, and really care about portability for some reason. Or, you ust have a lot of money and you want a cool toy.

>Very expensive toy that doesn't do anything you couldn't do either for free or for cheap by some other means.

You could say that about literally everything.

No you couldn't. A good synthesizer has a voice that can't be replicated for free or cheap. Same for a good mic, a good preamp, a good acoustic instrument, a good amp, etc.. The OP-1 is a small portable computer with limited functions that you can replicate on your PC for free or very cheap.

get a 0 coast instead
youtube.com/watch?v=5FW8QYt6bio

love the 0-coast but they are completely different things lol

does anyone create full songs with these or just noodling sessions?

This. A raspberry pi synth whoops the shit out of the OP-1's engine

It was used on Animal Collective's last full length

who fucking cares

he asked

Bon Iver, 22 a million was produced heavily with the op-1, it's present in just about every song. Although there are plenty of other instruments used within the album itself, it's definitely one of the most popular examples out there with heavy use of the OP-1.

wow, a tripfag is wrong again

youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

Oh wow, some dude has an OP-1 in his setup. I bet he uses it extensively

Attached: bork.jpg (277x321, 29K)

>50% of the entire set uses OP-1
>1 song runs entirely on the OP-1 sequencer

yep :^)

Pretty much this desu.
I fell in love using one from a buddy, but can't afford to waste money on something that small.
One small artist I enjoy makes plenty off of it. He takes it everywhere, and I wish I could have something like that. That fucking price though.

is there any situation where you need a portable sequencer where you can bring this but you can't bring a laptop?

Not one. But with a laptop, you dont get to see the little monkeys playing drums

Attached: 110-monkey-580x324.jpg (580x324, 22K)

In literally every thread about synths theres is at least one person saying that the synth being discussed is not worth it and you might as well use some vsts or something.

I wonder why that is.

Who's the artist?

contrarianism

It’s great, love mine.

Are you really arguing against VSTs being more worthwhile, versatile, and economic than an OP-1?

are you really upset that I've made a couple albums with mine and you are still in your bedroom?

good for sketches

No, I'm just saying that hardware synths exist for a reason. Also working with VSTs is tedious. I don't have an OP-1 but I wish I had one.

Please post your albums. I wanna hear what this thing can do.

I have both. As far as what they're good at there's almost 0 overlap.

Everyone who says the OP-1 is too expensive is right, but it a great piece of gear.

Here's a few things I made 100% on the OP-1
soundcloud.com/vermin_supreme/the-monkey-king-above-the-city-at-night
soundcloud.com/vermin_supreme/seventyninedollars
soundcloud.com/vermin_supreme/a-million-billion-children

Nope.

I saw somewhere that Childish Gambino used it on Awaken, My Love. I think Andrew Huang mentions it on his video of the OP-1

>You could get a really decent full size polysynth for that money.
I snagged a brand new Roland JD-XA for less than the retail price of an OP-1.

hell for the OP-1's price you could get a microkorg, a microbrute, an electribe, and 3 volcas

And still wouldn’t have an op-1

I think I rather have an OP-1 lol

I’m pretty sure a day with the homies was made almost entirely on an op1 for what that’s worth

Panda bear said he wrote all the songs on the tour bus or something. That being said I don’t think it’s really worth the money as much as I want one and love fucking around with TEs pocket operators

I also saw Moses Sumney recently and one of his band members performed on one a lot, sounded great although I think the meat of his sounds come from a sub 32

The OP-Z looks pretty cool though and is gonna retail for like 500$ I think

I can probably swing that

what exactly is the OP-Z? looks uncomfortable

I legit love my op-1. I'm using it in a band and can get a such a full sound with it. Once you get your head around the crazy price and weird UX, it's a dream.

I can take it to work and work on demos during lunch breaks and then take it to band practice and not worry about the battery.

I'd pay good money for more tracks and the spring reverb not being noisy as fuck. and not having to connect to my computer to dump often.

I have a dumb question but every hardware based synth YouTube video I seen. They always have a wire hooked up to them and it's not connecting back to a computer. What exactly is the source? An interface? Monitor speakers? Even for things as small as the Teenage Engineering PO series.

youtu.be/euuIJQHun1s
With iTablet or whatever the fuck it's called
youtu.be/IuzMG1Wt_pE
Without that overpriced tablet

Probably an audio interface connected to a computer.

All TE hardware have pretty okay internal speakers. But if you’re making a video of yourself playing a synth you’re gonna want to record the audio into a computer

OP-1 is a faggot

If you can find one for under $600, snatch that fucker up immediately.
Far too expensive for what it is, but it definitely isn't shit. It's powerful, just not $1,000 powerful.

It's Swedish.

There are actually lots of bands and musicians that use it, which is weird considering what it is.

Need? No. Would be nice to have? Yes, definitely.
It's kind of weird to bring your MPK Mini MKII to a park or on the bus with your MacBook instead of just breaking out the OP-1.

would rather just get an octatrack for that price

this.
I'd rather just get an octorock-cock.

Attached: Link_the_legend_of_zelda_cdi_desktop_1344x916_wallpaper-445868-752x440[1].jpg (752x440, 32K)

NIN made this song on an OP-1 and uses live for all the main sequenced parts

youtube.com/watch?v=CXBiYFoHsOg