Train to Busan

>96% approval rating
>nominated for several awards in several categories
>commercially successful, making back ten times its cost
>a fucking zombie horror film

Has South Korea began to surpass Hollywood in the fine art of kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/film/asia/train-to-busan-english-remake-gaumont-1201933494/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'll wait until the ridley scott remake

It was good, but it wasn't more than a 7/10, maybe 7.5/10.

The Handmaiden and the Wailing were superior koreakinos from 2016.

It's pretty average, so is The Handmaiden. If they were in English they'd fade into obscurity but since they're the best Korea has to offer they get attention.

"Right Now, Wrong Then" is my favourite recently and it had an amazing script which could easily have produced a top-tier film, but it was dragged down into mediocrity by some terrible acting by the protagonist. Fucking shame really.

South Koreans are adapting the Hollywood model - I guarentee you the people legitimately trying to make film in SK hate the trend of big budget blockbusters

i bet the american remake will be like
>white woman pregnant and nigger husband
>gay couple instead of the sisters
>mexican dad and hispanic little girl
>white train manager

There's literally no need for an american remake, it's already pretty much an exact copy of any American zombie movie ever.

Name any two?

Pick any you like, it's got all the same tropes just on a train. Not exactly new or interesting.

Just name two.

>zombies on a train
literally worst korea kino

if this was made in america it would probably have an approval rating of 40% and would be called trash

South Korean has been pumping out gold since the late 90s OP, where have you been?

>have to battle from one side of a zombie infested area to another
>character selflessly gets bitten to save group
>character can't bear to leave loved one behind so stays with them
>character has to fight off friend who has turned
>soldiers create a checkpoint/quarantine which causes conflict

These ideas have all been explored in TWD, as well as in 28 days later, Dawn of the Dead and its 4 sequels, zombieland, shaun of the dead etc. It literally doesn't have a single new idea.

South Korean films get chronically overrated because they have that combination of humorless pessimism and ironic detachment that critics want out of foreign films. it feels cutting edge (even though we got bored with it in American films in the 70s and then really bored with it in the early 2000s)

Japan is in the middle of a cinematic golden age right now but they're guilty of the sin of artistic sincerity and that's less exciting because it's familiar

>There's literally no need for an american remake
There wasn't one for REC either.

was he /ourguy/

>they're guilty of the sin of artistic sincer

They're more guilty of the sin of terrible acting †bh. Japanese acting is truly shocking, some of the worst in the world.

>Japan is in the middle of a cinematic golden age right now

The Handsmaiden is firmly a good costume drama, an instant classic but different from Oldboy which was an spectacular technique show off. It may take more patience but it's a rewarding experince and can also be watched plenty and plenty of times

I reckon the japanese school of acting was always very ott and focused on expressionism. It's a style, different that's all.

>I reckon the japanese school of acting was always very ott and focused on expressionism

I would believe you if their OTT acting wasn't used in films which are clearly attempting to evoke realism in their characters, and failing miserably as a result. I agree that it is a style that they can't avoid doing because of cultural upbringing, but it's also an objectively bad style for films which aren't stylistically over the top also, which is most of them.

>I reckon the japanese school of acting was always very ott
"Yes"

Watched it the other day. It was entertaining, but absolutely nothing special. I have no idea what all the fuzz is about, and The Girl With All The Gifts was easily better.

reminder that it was the MC's fault that no cure would be ever made

I didn't really care for that one.

I really liked the pace of Train to Busan though, actually it was probably my favorite part.

>Our Little Sister.

I really like that movie, it was peaceful.

Well, there is at least one with the same set up but in an airplane. Can't remember the title, it was a straight to DVD flick.

There's already an English remake being done.

variety.com/2016/film/asia/train-to-busan-english-remake-gaumont-1201933494/