What was the meaning of that scene in Mad Men where the elevator door opens and Don looks down an empty elevator shaft...

What was the meaning of that scene in Mad Men where the elevator door opens and Don looks down an empty elevator shaft and then he goes and has a drink

Other urls found in this thread:

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-reflects-on-the-season-so-far/?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto&_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8FIbuoWPY
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-BZevUGoGU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

death.

He wanted to jump down and get the death

In what way

Then why didn't he

>In what way

Really dude? Learn to film and television.

It is supposed to represent Don's emotional state when Megan leaves the office for good. He still has something to say to her but its to late and shes gone. Matthew Weiner confirmed this in an interview and that it wasn't meant to symbolize the risk of someone actually falling down it.

"In my mind, that actually happened. The elevator wasn’t there, which we know happens all the time. I thought that was an amazing cinematic representation of his emotional state. He still had one thing left to say to her, and she’s gone, into the abyss. She’s gone off on her own. That’s all that that was supposed to be. Is someone going to fall down an elevator shaft? No. I will actually go on record as saying that."

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-reflects-on-the-season-so-far/?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto&_r=0

What did he want to say to her

And they still lived together. It's not like Don would never see her again. He would have plenty of chances to talk to her. Why are they making a big deal out of literally nothing

Have you even experienced romantic love and loss?

do you even watch the show or do you just look at it with the sound off and come up with random questions

No I'm not a normie faggot

Explain then if it's so obvious

I lost a dog once, does that count?

Anyone else kinda mixed about the finale? I like the episode and how don finds a chance at peace, but I was really hoping for a scene of him jumping out of the window, even if it was just a daydream, mirroring the opening crawl

"Careful, sometimes the doors open and there is no elevator car."

>What was the meaning of that scene in Mad Men where the elevator door opens and Don looks down an empty elevator shaft and then he goes and has a drink

It is a reference to LA Law.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8FIbuoWPY

I thought we would get to see how Don dies.

Given the fact that he smokes and drinks every day, how does he manage to stay as healthy as he does.

In real life Don would look like shit and he would be lucky to make all the way through the series.

Fucking kek

Who just steps into a black abyss without looking

This doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility

Yeah I guess it's plausible considering how retarded women are

why do plebs think that every scene should have some meaning
and more importantly, why would you ask other people about it, if in most cases you're supposed to find your own meaning

The opening is supposed to mean that don is out of control, just like he was in the final two episodes but at the end of the crawl he is sitting on a couch, controlled, relaxed and smoking. The series ends with him finding himself, being in control and back to doing what's he's best at. So you could say the opening crawl did mirror the ending.

I think she was on a trek series too, she got in a dispute with LA law over some bullshit so they offed her

A basic rule in writing is that you don't show something without there being a reason for it...

Well sure but then literally every scene in Mad Men could symbolize something about how Don's life is going downhill even though he's moving up economically, or how Don is hiding his true identity, or how sad and alone he is, or how he hated his childhood.

I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see don and suzanne get together after him and betty broke up. I really liked her.

What was so great about her

None of the women in Mad Men really had much of a personality except Betty because she was insane.

She was kind and sweet.
>are you ok?
>only you would ask about me right now

>peggy
>no personality

>boring uptight bitch with nothing interesting to talk about besides work or whatever gayass social justice issue or Jew boyfriend told her about

Wow great personality

Peggy is literally a female don. Strong, confident, ambitious. Also cute as hell

No she WANTED to be a female Don.

>people actually thought Mad Men was going to end with someone jumping out a window or Don being DB Cooper

jesus christ, watch again and closer this time, because you completely missed the point

>cute as hell
>finding peggy attractive
>not being nauseated just thinking about peggys repulsive pig face

get some standards user

Hesitation masquerading as masculinity: The Show.

And her disgusting Jew nose

Does Weiner really expect us to believe that she's half Norwegian and half Irish? She clearly is at least part kike

Not attractive, cute.

Cute is a subcategory of attractive. You cannot be cute if you're not attractive. And Peggy is grotesquely unnattractive.

A female Don would be a hot Stacy, not that 2/10 mouse looking bitch

Faye was objectively the perfect woman for Don. But he went with Megan because for once he didn't think of what was best for him, but what was best for his family. Megan was great with the kids and all and Don figured that could work for him too

Peggy's attractiveness fluctuated between episodes more than I have ever seen on any female. She had a range from about a 2 to a 7

Honestly, I didn't actually mind her Jew nose because it drew attention away from the rest of her face so at times I was able to look at in in an almost abstract way, which prevented her from ruining every scene she was in.

>tfw re-watched mad men 4 times
I think I have some kind of autism

If it is ALL you rewatch then yeah, maybe.

Otherwise no problem in rewatching stuff you like

This, one thing about don is that his attractiveness is one of his only real features, he even admits this when he talks to his daughter about it

Peggy will never actually be don because she's not super hot/handsome to carry him through any situation, she has to actually rely on talent and struggle to make people recognize it

>tfw used to watch my favourite films over and over in rotation, sometime 2 or 3 times a day for a month when I was younger

I've lost count of how many times I have rewatched Mad Men. It's a very comfy show especially season 6.

What is some more comfy kino like Mad Men

>smokes and drinks every day

literally only matters if you have shit genetics. yeah his lungs and liver might be fucked, but it doesn't necessarily have to show

Sure Don's looks help him a lot, but they're not his only feature. He is very talented and intelligent as well, probably moreso than Peggy.

she's ugly as fuck and i don't understand why it was a recurring thing on the show to have men hitting on her

This desu. You can say that every episode starts with Don falling only to regain composure and keep on going.

Not to mention Don is multi-talented. The series showed he could also handle any blue-collar work, i.e we see him plumbing, fixing up cars and machinary etc.

Literally übermensch, he just had a shit childhood which led to issues which were then exacerbated by the accident in Korea.

isn't this girl a jedi or some shit

I thought it meant that the woman he loved was gone now.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-BZevUGoGU

STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN

>women indiscriminately fuck guys
>"SHE'S FLAUNTING HER INDEPENDENCE"

>Don (even when single) fucks a lot of women
>"WOMANIZER!"

although i guess at the time the women were seen as whores or whatever so idk

How come Mad Men spent 7 seasons showing Don falling off a building in the opening credits when he never falls off of anything in the show?

He fell off the bed in season 3 when that hitch hiker kid drugged him and knocked him out.

neither, actually.

>Anna never got to see Don's children
Fuck me

yes she did

probably wanted to use the elevator but it wasn't there so he had a drink

that's pretty much how I live my life.

He's in his early 40's at most and drinking/smoking don't normally cause issues until your 50's. Unless you have shit genetics.

>No I'm not a normie faggot
Then why are you trying to understand a normie tv show?

elevator wasnt there, which we know happens all the time.

DOES IT? WTF how is that safe? Why do elevators exist if they just dont show up ALL THE TIME

Post Don's women power rankings

>Sylvia
>Midge
>Rachel
>Teacher-fu
>Faye
>Megan
>Betty
>Joy the Euro cunny
>Alison
>Bethany Van Nuys
>Bitch he chokes in a fever dream
>Bobbi

>>Rachel
>that Jewish whore
>not in last place

I'm glad she died. She deserved it.

What about those British women that Don and Roger were hanging out with in the diner in season 7

They were hot as fuck but you never see them again.

Because it's v comfy

Pls recommend more comfy kino

>spending time thinking about the adventures of another man's penis...

this is why your gf thinks it's okay to do the same.

This happened to my grandmother in the 60s

she flipped the shit out and went home and spent the whole day as a nervous wreck. It didn't happen all the time but those old times elevators were only 99% effective.

I think it just made old don realize how easy his life could end

You have a hard time understanding jokes, don't you user. Either that or you're just not funny.

I also forgot Diana the waitress he ends up banging

She's not jewish though. Not even a bit. Swedish, english and german.

I think that british gril with don was the hottest in the show desu

Betty wasn't insane. Just a child.

Close but no

I actually thought Don would die, whether it be by suicide or even just something like a mugging.

There are a lot of hints of mortality and death for Don through the show, it all just seemed too much for him not to die.

suicide would've been eh imo, a bit predictable. mugging would have been random

i liked the catharsis at the end, but i wish it were a bit more ambiguous than it was. a moment of self-realization, but somehow less sure than it was in the show

as much hate as the sopranos ending got, i loved it

Same thing, I kinda love "open" endings, where you think it may have gone one way, and you are pretty sure, but there is no way to truly know.

Mad Men was a little on the nose for me, I still like it and the show as a whole, but it could have been a bit more grey for me, after all the show was all about the moral grey area.

>Talking shit on based Elizabeth Moss

Also Peggy was easily the best female character next to Sally

I love Elizabeth Moss. She's beautiful in an kind of ugly way.

yeah that's exactly what i mean. like it seemed weird to have 7 seasons of Don being an alcoholic and struggling emotionally and making morally ambiguous decisions, and then just have him have this one moment of catharsis and suddenly be fine.

just wasn't my cup of tea. but overall it could've been way worse, i liked it