Someone recommended me to check out John Maus because I like Ariel Pink and LCD Soundsystem...

Someone recommended me to check out John Maus because I like Ariel Pink and LCD Soundsystem. I listened to his first two albums and I really disliked both of them. Does his discography get better or should I stop?

Attached: mauz624.jpg (624x718, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Av5Jb52yFBo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology
youtube.com/watch?v=DnMfKacI9AY
youtube.com/watch?v=27yiU6vs5HI
youtube.com/watch?v=aMTOAKNJqpA
youtube.com/watch?v=7lw1MrMHQ9o
youtube.com/watch?v=VCCpVl06mC0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hes for cool ppl. start with piltover then collections
youtube.com/watch?v=Av5Jb52yFBo
depends on what era of ariel pink u like. his first two releases are amazing. but if you dont like lo-fi music not for you

Though he sticks to his style, We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves is by far his best album and you should give it a listen.

Attached: 1519376084413.jpg (184x184, 7K)

start here and then start over

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

How familiar are you with Ariel's music?
I had a similar problem, but only after really going through Loverboy and Doldrums, I could start to get into Maus.

yeah i agree listen to this guy

the pleb fear the maus

I'm going to check these out, Thanks.

From his early period I've listened to The Doldrums, Scared Famous, Fast Forward and House Arrest. I also listened to everything he made from 2010 onward. I'm gonna go through his entire discography eventually but honestly I like the later period of his career better.

My problem with John Maus from what I got with "Songs" and "Love is Real" is that
while musically it's good everything time he opens his mouth my enjoyment drops completely. I honestly can't stand his voice and I don't care for his lyrics either. His "humor" also hurts my enjoyment. He comes off as the guy who thinks he's hilarious for making ironically bad jokes.

>honestly I like the later period of his career better
pleb

>he doesn't think "oh ny grandma oeed her pants again" is funny

definitely check out pitiless censors it has his most "serious" lyricism

>he comes off as a guy who thinks he's hilarious for making ironically bad jokes

huh

you really don't understand what he is doing at all

youtube.com/watch?v=DnMfKacI9AY

I don't see it the same way but I agree that if you dislike the character it's hard to get into the music.
But do go for Pitiless Censors.

It's because Maus unlike 99% of other musicians isn't even Sup Forums, he is /lit/ + Sup Forums

I don't even agree with him politically, really, but the fact he is actually pretty well read and is really trying to do something meaningful with simple pop lyrics and tunes goes a long way further than others.

When I listen to a lot of Maus for awhile it is difficult to go back to anything else.

I just started listened listening to the guy. Maybe once I understand what he's about I'll come around.

it's pretty annoying that he keeps to the Soft Cell schtick and does literally nothing else.

I think he also has a very narrow view of what Ariel Pink does right (the gothy parts) and tries to encourage him to do more of it, which is why they split as collaborators and why they stopped talking for a while.

but Ariel and John has very different views on music, it's natural that his views would affect the direction he tried to push him in

It’s important to understand that irony isn’t used often by him. He has some funny songs but for the most part he’s extremely sincere and meaningful.

this should serve as a warning for you to not become a typical john maus fan OP

john maus fans are legitimately pretentious psueds who unironically think hes for "cool people" and that they are listening to some artsy high brow shit. People have this understanding about ariel pink fans and the like but john maus fanbase is worse because he is a bit less popular and can be more provocative. hes also a very eccentric dude who has achieved the "misunderstood genius" status

I like him but just be careful OP don't be like this. that said here are a few of my favorite tracks I was into when I was first getting into him

youtube.com/watch?v=27yiU6vs5HI

youtube.com/watch?v=aMTOAKNJqpA

youtube.com/watch?v=7lw1MrMHQ9o

>not posting three live performances of John howling and clutching his head

missed opportunity

Duly noted.

Second and fifth albums are pretty mediocre, but the rest is good. Check out "We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves" for sure, and if you still don't like it then you're a lost cause.

Another track for OP to listen to:
youtube.com/watch?v=VCCpVl06mC0