Why do autistic manchild directors always use the "I prefer film to digital" argument...

Why do autistic manchild directors always use the "I prefer film to digital" argument, Do they think it gives them integrity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DH9ouo8-Dww
vimeo.com/117915845
vimeo.com/117914474
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nolan is autistic about "muh fillm" for the same reason he always wears a suit on set. He's a pretender.

nolan is a pseud

Don't these two have beef? I remember Tarantino shit talking him around the time Memento came out.

I think he's just autistic, like Reviewbrah.

youtube.com/watch?v=DH9ouo8-Dww

>muh look and feel of film
>muh grain and realness
Can literally be achieved with a filter

>Tarantino rambling on and on about 70mm and all the great things that can be done with it
>it's wasted on another "everyone quips and shoots each other film"

Guys...

Did he criticize the non-chronological story? Because that would be kek-worthy

There is literally nothing wrong with film.

The landscape shots in HF8 were pretty fantastic though. He should've just done a manhunt film set in Wyoming, like Seraphim Falls

That's not what I'm saying, It's just when guys like those two brag about using it in an attempt to elevate their movies over others.

All 2 of them, Django or Basterds would have been better suited to 70mm but that would also have required actual effort, So Tarantino chose to just film everything in literally one room

I'm surprised Lynch is so enthusiastic about digital, I thought he would have been very "muh filmgrain"

He's an actual artist who will simply use what he sees to be the best tool for the job instead of a fraud like these two, clinging to irrelevent idea of what "real" cinema is supposed to be.

Film is better though it has nothing to do with these jokers

>i prefer analog to VST synths
>i prefer vinyl over digital
>i prefer bussy over vagina

>filter

Lynch needs to make some more fucking films already

Inland Empire was such a perfect capping off of everything he has been exploring his entire career. Anything after that would be a waste of time. I'm already fairly worried about his Twin Peaks project.

It's outdated medium. But today most of the movies and TV are shpt on digital, mainly Alexa

This is a good post

I prefer if you go back to plebbit

I suppose. Kind of like Kubrick with Eyes Wide Shut.

He wanted to go back to 35mm for Twin Cucks 2, but studio said its too expensive. Anyway, Arri Alexa looks bretty good, if DP knows his shit

I think he just said the concept of the movie didn't hold water because the Guy Pearce character couldn't function in the real world.

Those shots lasted mere minutes in total

Watch Side by Side with Keanu, especially Lynch parts about "this little gizmo"

Not anymore

I feel like Kubrick would have also moved to digital if he was still alive

High tier honest filmmaker

Nolan and Tarantino are good filmmakers. While they don't always make great films it is obvious that they are very dedicated to the art and craft of filmmaking. Anyone who disagrees with this is a pseud who's trying way too hard.

Nolan is actually remarkably stupid on this subject. On the Criterion release of Following he gives an interview in which he talks about how he shot Memento anamorphic instead of Super 35 because "if you understand the physics of it" then Super 35 is "a vastly inferior format."

This is spoken in the context of him bragging about how he's a self-taught filmmaker and it's totally nonsensical. His cinematographer Wally Pfister also likes to make retarded claims like 35mm negative film resolves to 10k in detail.

At least Tarantino is honest about how his decision to shoot on film is just nostalgic movie magic wankery and doesn't try to justify it beyond that.

Deakins can fuck off

>very dedicated to the art and craft of filmmaking.
They only care about conforming to the memes of prestige and quality, never producing anything bold, original or valuable.

True

"You can't shoot 3D on film, so film has been dead in my heart for 10 years." - James Cameron

Wow, He's right!

Is he retarded?

It has a pretty noticeable difference in color and lighting.

He was at the budget level where he had to embrace it or something like Inland Empire was never going to happen. And digital lends itself to his shooting style, even on film he was shooting hundreds of hours of footage. Fire Walk With Me was over 800,000 ft. of film and to put this into context that's around as much as Quantum of Solace, which had multiple cameras on multiple units, shot for probably over twice as long as FWWM, had to cover big action scenes, etc. etc.

Kubrick had a close relationship with Arri and definitely would have been a consultant on their digital cameras. He also liked complete control over his movies of course and so being able to skip over film labs would've been appealing to him. He owned his own equipment.

>lighting.

you have no idea what this means

>They only care about conforming to the memes of prestige and quality
Tarantino? His films are pure trash and he'd be the first to admit it. His breakout film is literally called "Pulp Fiction." And Chris Nolan makes thrillers and Batman movies, the only film that might fit your description is "Dunkirk."

I agree they're not the best, but your criticism is fucking retarded. You've exposed yourself as a fraud.

It's kino though

MUH GRAIN

>Tarantino? His films are pure trash
He wants to eat his cake and eat it too. Indulging in his masturbation but also still being in the Jew club with Weinstein and collecting this oscar noms. If Nolan's aspirations extended to simply making entertainment thrillers rather than trying to act as some kind of one man force preserving the spirit of the large scale old hollywood epic then maybe his films wouldn't be as insufferable.

Is this the first time someone on Sup Forums has used this word correctly?

Film looks better.

>It's outdated medium.
Not by choice of some directors, which is why Quentin and Nolan are trying so hard to keep it around.

>mainly Alexa
Which has a really shitty look when utilized incorrectly. In most such cases, I'd rather be watching something captured on film.

>Which has a really shitty look when utilized incorrectly.

couldn't you say this of anything...?

It's ironic, they don't get to keep shooting on film unless they keep being vocal about it, but being vocal about it creates this air of them being "superior" to other film makers, and thus the only one's deserving of film, which goes against their actual wish of wanting film to be again as (or almost) as equally available to film makers as a tool as the digital medium is.

It's how it takes in the light and color. I'd also say it takes a better director to make digital look as good as film because digital takes in so much detail.

Tarantino is genuine. I don't think he's the greatest filmmaker ever or anything, but I think he really believes in every film he's ever made. I think you're totally off-base in taking him for some kind of "Oscar bait" filmmaker. He's got that legitimate, slightly autistic kid-in-a-candy-shop vibe that a lot of great directors have, he really does love his lenses and his film stock and his actors and his close-up shots of feet.

I agree with you more about Nolan. He always pushes his subtext way too hard, he's far too desperate to prove that there's intellectual depth behind his genre films. He's got a tin ear for dialogue, and he's never been much good with actors. I like some of his films, but even in his best work you've got to deal with a lot of bullshit

You're in the minority here. Once Kodak is off elitists life support, you can kiss that precious celluloid emulsion goodbye

Duh. Dude was an insane control freak.

Came to post this, thanks

Sure. But if you fuck up with film, your material is ruined. You need to re-shoot.
Whereas you fuck up with an Alexa, you'll just "fix" it in post. Which usually means your picture looks flat and with a piss filter applied over it.
Not too mention it's still inferior to the color capture and contrast film offers, even if it's "getting there".
vimeo.com/117915845
vimeo.com/117914474

And it looks loke shit...

...like every 3D movie, analog or digital

Stanley would've loved Alexa65

Hugh Mann

Go die in a corner, oldfag scum

Spot a retard

>I hurt myself today

Sure, but only when it became a viable alternative to film, and only if he'd be able to utilize it in some way it hasn't been utilized before.
And of course only if he'd still be allowed to take his time. One of the major reason Studios are over eager to drop film is because there's less cost to re-shoots and you don't have to wait for the dailies. This often has the negative effect of rushing the film making process. A common complaint from crews is that there's no time given to set things up and prepare anymore because it's so easy to rush, often resulting in shoddier workmanship than was wished for .

who /shotonvideo/ here?

Stanley didn't answer to studio's (literally had his own film withdrawn from circulation the absolute madman) so it wouldn't have been an issue for him

>t. a (((proud))) Alexa operator
I bet you don't even have the guts to post your """amazing""" student project ;^)

can someone please explain to me why everytime these two shoot on film it always ends up looking like digital? what's the point?

>Sure. But if you fuck up with film, your material is ruined. You need to re-shoot.

no this isn't true at all, there was a ton of compromise in shooting film and not being able to see what you had until the next day and having to settle for a compromised image, then trying to rescue it through the RGB and exposure you were limited to, or later, the digital intermediate. digital actually gives you MORE control with things like picture-accurate on-set monitors instead of a video tap (or just trusting the dp/operator), histograms and zebras and false color, RAW, etc.

It's literally autism

>mfw the thumbnail looks like Jeremy Clarkson with tumblr hair.

Even though the film gives a rather accurate representation of an actual illness. Nice.

Film has a nicer look to it. But digital shows more detail.

Film>digital

Another hack that fell for the film meme

Proles shoot digitally, pseuds shoot on film, true artists use both canvases

he doesnt always wear a suit thats feig. he wears jackets and scarves and looks pretentious yes