Is there any modern prog that isn't sterile cringey nerd shit that just alternates between banging out meandering riffs...

Is there any modern prog that isn't sterile cringey nerd shit that just alternates between banging out meandering riffs through cork-sniffer, not-quite-metal amps, and clean arpeggio sections officially sponsored by Strymon? ? Where is the whimsey? The sense of fun? The tiny little analog monosynth solos over 12 string strumming? Where are the flutes and medieval winds? The interesting arrangements? The fun? The magic? Does it exist in the modern era?

Attached: 9c22965f5602c481ee720f1b63ec1278.jpg (500x409, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H2Jmiz7VlDI
youtube.com/watch?v=dv1ypynSLzY
youtube.com/watch?v=D_qoLyu1aLA
youtube.com/watch?v=DffQVP6UqVQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no, it doesnt to my knowledge.
all of the reasons you listed is why i don't like modern prog

>Where is the whimsey? The sense of fun? The tiny little analog monosynth solos over 12 string strumming? Where are the flutes and medieval winds?

people grew out of sporkshit

What the fuck are you talking about
If you don't enjoy Steven Wilson get the fuck out of here

Mars Volta

You might like some Ayreon stuff, though it's a bit more meal than traditional prog. Into the Electric Castle is a really fun album.

youtube.com/watch?v=H2Jmiz7VlDI

steven wilson is boring and too metal inspired for me. All of his songs are super forgettable and seem forced. his remasters are shit also

doesnt really sound like 70s prog.

>doesnt really sound like 70s prog.
How do you expect a genre to evolve if it just keeps copying the old stuff?

How many of these albums did you listen to

Attached: Mucore_modern_prog.jpg (1040x1600, 437K)

if it's the whimsy retroprog you're after, you'd probably like Agusa, Echolyn, earlier Beardfish, Big Big Train and such

>steven wilson is boring and too metal inspired for me.
He is very diverse, not all his music is metal inspired

>his remasters are shit
Alright you are clueless

Steven Wilson is cancer and if you like it you probably have actual autism and don't understand emotions.

Oh yeah forgot to mention Moon Safari, possibly the most joyous band of all time

>you probably have actual autism and don't understand emotions

this is a prog thread user, that goes without saying

youtube.com/watch?v=dv1ypynSLzY

youtube.com/watch?v=D_qoLyu1aLA

Try this. Other songs I love from this band:
In The Company of Worms, Need More Input, Caverns and Feed the Horses.

I recommend the non-remastered version of their first album, feels "punchier".

What the fuck are you talking about
He has made tons of emotional songs
Do you have actual opinions on your own or are you just spouting garbage by Fantano and Pitchfork

His remix/masters are hit and miss, But his Close To The Edge remix/master is GARBAGE. You can tell why his music is so fucking boring just form the way he mixed that astonishingly deep, fantastic album, into a boring, dry, vocal focused attempt at some kind of Jethro Tull sound. He took out all atmosphere and put a loud vocal front and center, as though it were some kind of commercial pop record. Switch back and forth between his remix/master and any other version of the closing section of CTTE. Despite the drastically better audio quality of his new versions, he's absolutely ruined everything that's good about the sonics of the track.

Neutoptypical people can't understand prog

Fantano and Pitchfork are garbage that shouldn't exist. Doesn't make Steven Wilson's dogshit cream-o-wheat music any more emotionally effective.

just personal preference, but I just don't like how the genre has evolved
I'm not saying that it'd be better to try and copy the old stuff, I just wish it was more inspired by the old stuff because most modern prog that I've heard just sounds like metal and math rock

his remasters are absolutely garbage. its usually just bass boosted, and vocals turned up

Do you know what spectrum people who don't see that others have different emotional responses usually fall on?

Thanks for the recs so far, everyone who's given them. I'm checking them all out. Also, fuck Steven Wilson, he was exactly what I was thinking of when I made this thread.

>Sup Forums hates Steven Wilson now

Fuck this place

Honestly, dungeon synth has more of the spirit of what was good about prog than prog does these days. Is there any DS prog / prog DS?

youtube.com/watch?v=DffQVP6UqVQ

Yeah, you have no fucking idea what you are talking about

>new Phideaux never EVER

alright le steven wilson defender.
enjoy ur boring metal music with le mellotrons because hes just begging for classic prog fans to like his soulless bullshit.

sorry bro hes trash

Understandable, hope you like the recs, there's still stuff out there if you look.

I don't dislike SW (though I consider him more of a pop musician who often dips his toes into prog than anything else) and I think he's done some really cool stuff but I agree that it's a shame that the majority of prog music today seems to have homogenized into aping his sound. He himself seems to have run out of songwriting years ago on top of that.

>the waiting is what was infernal all along

damn...

>Where is the whimsey? The sense of fun? The tiny little analog monosynth solos over 12 string strumming? Where are the flutes and medieval winds? The interesting arrangements? The fun? The magic?
In the dead past.

What did you think of To the Bone
I think it's probably his worst album, Refuge was the only great track

So much reusing or recycling of stuff he'd already used, it was kind of embarrassing. Honestly since he wanted to do a pure pop from the start he should have just jumped away from his base sound entirely. He talks about ABBA a lot but he could've gone a lot more their way and it'd have been more interesting. I dislike how there's always like one or two obligatory-feeling "heavy" riffs thrown into a few songs just to keep the old PT fans happy somehow, for someone so self-absorbed he should really care a lot less about reception desu. I'm much more interested in the new Bass Communion stuff he said he has lined up than any more solo stuff desu.

Yeah that makes sense
The Same Asylum is probably his worst song

Big Big Train and Echylon are sounding ok so far. Thanks. Still have the unfortunate cringey modern prog vocals but it's better than other modern prog I've heard.

I'm not sure what the aspects you find modern are then, BBT's vocalist and Echolyn's to a lesser extent are really just trying to be Gabriel or Collins.

Agusa's instrumental btw so definitely check them out.

yeah pretty much, that song has no need to exist

Not really prog but if you like Peter Gabriel check out Elbow

It's the stilted, forced gravitas, forced deepness thing on all the loud vocals. I think they're all putting it on because it sounds the same when any vocalist does it. It sounds like they've been influenced by modern pop-rock vocalists and production styles.

Haven't listened to too much from them but Wobbler is alright, they sound pretty close to the old 70s prog.

So you literally want modern prog that sounds like classic prog music, that's dumb

>it's dumb to wish there was more music that took you to the world of Close To The Edge or that communicated the heights of emotion reached on And You And I, instead of boring, meandering, pseudo-metal with pop vocals
Don't know what to tell you user. Maybe you should listen to the old records again.

bump