What's some movies that define a generation

what's some movies that define a generation

The secret life of pets

Breakfast Club for the 80s, Reality Bites for the 90s, maybe Perks of being a Wallflower for the 00s, unironically Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for the early 10s.

TDKR

Napoleon Dynamite

>Perks of being a Wallflower for the 00s

Dude, no. Maybe it was a forced attempt at that, but no.

Replace Perks of Being a Wallflower with one of those Brocomedies from the 2000s and maybe.

Fight Club
Nightcrawler
Drive

This. Replace it with Superbad

Frances Ha for Millennials, Pulp Fiction for Gen X, Easy Rider for Boomers, Casablanca until Rebel Without a Cause for Greatest Gen

Scooby Doo for the early 2000's

its fault in our stars for the 10s

oh fuck where is that?

literally one person has to watch a movie for it to even attempt to define a generation

Star Wars Prequels, even though everyone hated them

id say its mostly stuff like BTTF, SW, LOTR

Generation Kill

>Breakfast Club for the 80s
try again

different films for different stages and demographics:

>Baby Boomers:
A Hard Day's Night
The Graduate
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Easy Rider
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Godfather
The Big Chill
Wall Street

>Generation X:
Star Wars, Indiana Jones
Pretty in Pink
The Breakfast Club
Repo Man
Decline of Western Civilization
Reality Bites
Slacker
Pulp Fiction
Trainspotting

>Millennials/Gen Y:
Star Wars, Goonies, and ET for the 80s kids (some crossover with the younger Gen Xers - altho Star Wars was significant for Baby Boomers and Gen X too)
Kids (for those in their teens in the 90s)
Scream (^ditto)
Fight Club
Donnie Darko (getting into the younger, 00s end of Millenials now)
The Dark Knight
Spring Breakers

>"hip" college kids hanging out at the pool by the beach on a hot summer day listening to Sugar Ray playing live

comfy as fuck to be honest

you forgot what is literally the biggest movie for Generation Y

Gotham

Is that why there's so many trannies now?

80s Back to the Future
90s The Big Lebowski
00s Harry Potter and the Pisoner of Ascaban
10s The Hunger Games

oh of course. meant to put that. I'd put it in there between Scream and Fight Club.

It kind of drew on Gen X 'edgy' and techno/ hacker aesthetics, but a lot of that became material for a lot of Gen Y kids growing up definitely. Which evolved into Hot Topic-core like Donnie Darko, 'grimdark' like TDR.

I'd also put Mulholland Dr. under Gen Y. Lynch has turned out to be really aesthetically influential with the more stylish among them (Twin Peaks series was big for Gen X too, again, there's that overlap as far as influence).

Nowhere (1997)

Your gonna want to check out The Doom Generation (1995). Same Director.

One of those movies you have to see once in your life.

I unironically think one of the reasons is because so many depressed nerds pissed their formative years away playing as female characters in MMOs and subconsciously associate the only dopamine rush they've ever felt with larping as a female.

sums up the early 00s perfectly.

Fucking reptilian alien.

What the fuck happened to those guys?

I don't know about Mulholland Dr

it's an amazing movie but it's so heavily influenced by mid-twentieth century movies that watching it makes me think of the Great Generation or Silent Generation, and I don't think it had too much of an impact on millennials as a whole.

Yo! What up, dawg... and dog.

Greg Araki is great, good pick.

The only dude who even notices it.

I think a number of things have. Postmodern theories push social constructionism, that says that everything is merely a construct of language, rather than based in any real, so there's that.

I also think it obviously has a lot to do with being coddled by the internet and gaming, and I'd especially bring up the influence of anime, which got a lot of people really invested in this cute feminine aesthetic where even the males are pretty, but the girls especially have these easy, no-pressure lives, and I think that a lot of young men, who don't know how to be men, think it would just be easier to just be the pretty (anime) girl. Which media and academia gives encouragement for, so there's no traditional social structure to correct this weak impulse (after all, all males start out as weak and feminine, but they traditionally learned to embrace strength, partly because women demand it of them - and actually still do).

Nightcrawler is Jake Gyllenhaal's fuck you to Millennials.

I think it's men who couldn't attract females working out that if they can't touch another person's boobs then they can get their own boobs to play with to their hearts content. Also as a former man you would know all the cheat modes to be successful but be able to couple that with the easy ride you get if you're a woman. It makes sense if you are planning to never have kids and know you'll be lonely your whole life if you stay a man. In America it is also popular if you are a gaylord because you can become a woman and in the eyes of their society it will mean you are now straight.

As a whole... definitely not. I was considering different strains/demographics for each generation, and in this case, I was thinking of the considerable hipster / art kid contingent of Gen Y, for whom it's a pretty key aesthetic influence. You might throw in a Wes Anderson film in there too for that demographic, although Lynch's aesthetic has replaced Anderson's since then.

I'm not so much thinking of the noir-ish or older elements of Mulholland Dr. but rather the atmosphere which has been really big in the music world. It also had a certain affect/tone that I'd say is not exactly irony at this point because it's mystified but also very immersed, as Spring Breakers would also be, which was a departure from the sarcastic kind of ironic 90s tone, a distinction that I don't think many people recognize but is very real.

As far as your point on such movies pertaining to older generations... my Gen X choice The Godfather of course was concerned with a lot of older, 'Greatest Generation' matters, but I think it's 70s bleakness made it relevant for the Baby Boomers in that moment, before Star Wars changed things.

I like to play as female characters in games and love cute anime girls.

But I aspect that I'm a guy because reality is what it is, I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with these other people.

This

I meant to write accept.

Melbourne

fair points

I might be wrong but I believe The Godfather was the first American gangster movie where the criminal characters didn't "get theirs" at the end but simply continued on with business as usual. That definitely makes me think of the shift to more cynicism in the 70s. If the film had been made 20-30 years earlier it would have ended with Michael in the electric chair or something

I think the difference is that these other people decided to check out and buy into the idea that there is no real, so that they might: 1. not have to take on the difficulties of being a man or woman 2. get tons of positivity and praise from commentators online telling them they're brave and special and good for doing this. It's an easy way to get validation and attention for doing nothing - indeed, for behaving unhealthily and messing up your life.

Melbourne, there's a graffiti artist called Lushsux who's been trolling that leftist hotbed for a while.

Sup Forums's ironically unironic answer to everything.

30's - Wee Willie Winkie (or any Shirley Temple film of that era)
40's - Double Indemnity (or any Film Noir of that era)
50's - Rebel Without a Cause (or any teen rebel movies of that era)
60's - Breathless (or any freewheeling, hipster sexual revolution film of that era)
70's - Star Wars (or any sci-fi from that era)
80's - The Breakfast Club (or any teen flick from that era
90's - Pulp Fiction (or any retro, hipster, ghetto flick from that era)
00's - The Dark Knight (or any other capeshit from that era)
10's - The Amazing Spider-Man (or any other reboots or reboot of a reboot.)

bump for interesting thread

australians can't even keep their shitposting to the internet

Y... yeah, fuck you millenials!

- Jake Gyllenhaal

Here are the "defining" movies of the early 00s in my understanding. These are not the best or most important movies, just the most congruent with my understanding of what early 00s were like aesthetically.

"All About Lily Chou-Chou" (2001)
"28 Days Later..." (2002)
"Spider-Man" (2002)
"Elephant" (2003)
"9 Songs" (2004)
"The Puffy Chair" (2005)
"Marie Antoinette" (2006)
"LOL" (2006)