Do you prefer lyrical or instrumental music?

Do you prefer lyrical or instrumental music?

Attached: 1389723501310.png (765x341, 283K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_music
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrical_music
youtube.com/watch?v=kp4DWic8ndg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Instrumental all the way.
1000%

Instruments desu

Lyrical. I usually can't stand listening to a whole album of just instrumental songs. It's fine to have an instrumental song on a album with vocals or a bunch of them if it's a theme album. It works live though, for example in post rock.

I need both but lean more towards instrumental

Instrumental, but I like a little bit of lyrics a lot too. I don't like stuff like rap/Joanna Newsom/Bob Dylan a lot, where you need to spend a lot of time to understand the lyrics, I prefer shit like King Crimson/Pink Floyd

Maybe there's hope for Sup Forums after all. Instrumentals all the way.

I lean towards lyrical but at certain moods I prefer instrumental. If I'm reading for example, lyrics will just distract me.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive things, for instance gregorian chants and such can't really be categorised into that binary, as well as new wave acts that predominantly use their vocals as part of a soundscape but incorporate words into them like the Cocteau Twins or some shit.

my favorite type of music is long instrumental moments and short lyrical moments (i.e. long season)

Instrumental. I don't like voice. I can definitely stand it, and appreciate good lyrics, but it's the last thing I look for in music

Looking on this thread and seeing Sup Forums has enough sense to generally prefer great instrumentation to lyricism, why does everyone dickride Dylan so much?

Instrumental

who's dylan?

Bob the Dylan

Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Division Bell have a great balance of lyrics to instrumental sections in my opinion. Endless River is very nice to relax and listen to as well if you want a mostly instrumental experience.

oh nahh i don't like him. he's a jew.

I'm asian

This, Echoes has been my jam lately

instrumental's are smarter but require more autism

a singer's voice is a VERY unique tool

one can easily tell a elvis song from a micheal jackson song

and one could say that when computers get advanced enough they will be able to simulate these unique voices

im sure the tech is already there it just requires autism to re work the vocal clips a-la-youtube poop style

im not sure were i was going with this

Attached: 1519137385408.jpg (750x742, 73K)

Generally, the latter.

It's called vocal music, not lyrical.
I used to be a bit of an edgelord who listened almost exclusively to instrumental, but these days I don't have preferences. Seeing a choir live this evening, pretty hyped.

>It's called vocal music, not lyrical
Both are a thing you absolute cretin. What makes you assume OP was referring to the former as opposed to the latter?

What is lyrical music? What's the difference between it and vocal music?

Vocal music focuses on the vocal performance while lyrical music focuses on the lyrical content. Which part of this confuses you?

i lean more towards instrumental music, but i need both

I've literally never heard of this distinction. Vocal music is, according to every definition I've seen, singing (with or without accompaniment).
And why would OP ask the question he did? Why would he ignore what you define as vocal music altogether? It makes little sense.
That's not even mentioning the fact that your definitions are just vague and subjective.

>I've literally never heard of anyone making the distinction between the part of the song that you can find on lyrics sites and the singing ability of an artist
>I've literally never heard of anyone making the distinction between text and audio
Am I being trolled or am I seriously arguing with the world's most retarded man?

The "part of the song that you can find on lyrics sites" is called "lyrics", not "lyrical music", you idiot. The "singing ability of an artist" is not "vocal music".

Attached: df7c19ea-b588-48fc-bb8b-5b45526889ff.jpg (566x480, 54K)

>instrumental
>song
One or the other, songs have singing.

>Division Bell

Attached: 80c.png (645x729, 58K)

>he can't appreciate Marooned and High Hopes

>The "part of the song that you can find on lyrics sites" is called "lyrics"
And music that focuses on this particular aspect of the song as its driving point as opposed to other aspects is music that is primarily lyrical, in other words lyrical music. How about you figure out how your own language works before calling people idiots and telling them to read a book.

Instrumental when bands want every section to have a verse it holds back the potential of the musicians.

Language is complicated. I could call an instrumental piece of music lyrical too if it evoked particular emotions. We need concrete definitions and consensus in these matters, but you're pulling definitions out of your ass, and the very term "lyrical music" is used basically never.

Here, let's see some definitions
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_music
>Vocal musicis a type of music performed by one or more singers, either withinstrumental accompaniment, or without instrumental accompaniment (a cappella), in whichsingingprovides the main focus of the piece. Music which employs singing but does not feature it prominently is generally considered instrumental music (e.g. the wordless women's choir in the final movement of Holst'sThe Planets) as is music without singing.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrical_music
>Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.Pleasesearch forLyrical musicin Wikipediato check for alternative titles or spellings.

>term
"lyrical" is an adjective. Adjectives are commonly paired with nouns, such as "music", to describe them. Fuck, I know. What a concept, right? Crazy.

You're not even trying.
Pro tip: if you wish to communicate with people and discuss things you have to use language and its accepted word meanings. Musical terminology/metalanguage is pretty well-defined and you can't change it through your shitposts.

Nobody uses it that way, dumbass. Lyrical is more commonly used as a descriptor of melodies in the context of instrumental music

Lyric music without Lyrics

youtube.com/watch?v=kp4DWic8ndg

Lyric Suite, Op. 54

- Shepherd Boy
- Bell-Ringing
- Norwegian March
- Notturno
- March of the Trolls

Attached: troll-ba-dum-tss-l.png (1500x1294, 1.05M)

songs don't have words you talentless hack

Absolutely Incorrect
communication is ultimately futile but can be accomplished through any medium
Word meanings are fluid and musical knowledge/canon/terminology is shaped almost exclusively through discourse

Why go to all this trouble to save face when it's blatantly obvious that you've never discussed music academically?

I'm not who you were replying to
and b/c I'm a creator and not an administrative hack, but hey you should do what you're good at.

>song
>noun
>a short metrical composition intended or adapted for singing, especially one in rhymed stanzas; a lyric; a ballad.

You can take your saucy pomo memes elsewhere. "The discourse" on terminology has been going on for a pretty long time and the moron I was talking to was completely ignoring it, instead making up his own definitions and pretending that everyone has already accepted them.

isn't me

what is pomo
someone was trying to make a distinction between lyrical and vocal? why that make u mad?

oh lol i hope u dont think jordan peterson had good ideas

>someone was trying to make a distinction between lyrical and vocal? why that make u mad?
Because those categories were made up on the spot, vague and nobody actually uses them. OP simply used a wrong word and some faggot tried to redefine words to make him correct.

>i hope u dont think jordan peterson had good ideas
Haven't watched his videos. I'm not really against pomo anyway, was simply a pedantic memer.

I desire both. The perfect album would have at least one instrumental on it. I also prefer the full range of vocal talent, from spoken word to death growls, and everything in between; especially clean crooning and raspy gravel. Guitars should be acoustic for at least one track, and electric guitars ought to be clean at least 10% of time; lots of dirt and searing lead tone too, of course.