Is there any way Soccer can become Popular in the U.S.A?

Or is it a lost cause? Why in the bluest if blue hells do my fellow Americans prefer Nascar, Hockey and College Sports over the World's game?

Also is there any way to improve our shit infustructue to compete on the world stage? Or does that only happen when we start to care about the sport?

Other urls found in this thread:

apnews.com/tag/MajorLeagueSoccer
feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/263655620-these-football-times-the-lob-deconstructing-american-soccer-part-i.mp3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why in the bluest if blue hells do my fellow Americans prefer Nascar, Hockey and College Sports over the World's game?

Because those sports are less shit than divegrass and Americans don't give a fuck about the world

We can compete on the world stage when soccer is cool to play. All the "cool kids" who are the best atheletes growing up play hockey, football, basketball, and baseball. Everyone who played soccer growing to my knowing was awkward and mediocre as fuck cause they couldn't hack it in other sports. Not even trying to shit on soccer it's just a fact.

Nigga because soccer is for fags.

70,000 people showed up to watch the Atlanta United play. This happened yesterday.

Great thread.

The best players need to play here
There's is always going to be a limit to cucks willing to follow a sport played else

It wasn't yesterday
It's their next home game

>Nascar
>Less Shit that Soccer

> using the Atlanta argument as proof people care about soccer here
Atlanta is a city of transplant liberals and homeless blacks. Of course they care about soccer. They barely care about football. Meanwhile every other cities mls team barely draws a crowd of 10000.

>This English

My bad. It was Oct 3 against Minnesota United.

>no one is watching soccer, except liberals, who don't count
Literally everything in your house was a liberal idea at one time. They invent the future until conservatives stop shitting themselves long enough to try it. If Atlanta and Seattle are enough to anchor a pro soccer league, it's not going away.

It wasn't that game
They sold out their next game against Toronto which is in a couple of weeks

we have a history of sucking at the sport internationally. that's it really

Let me tell you something, liberals are good in small doses like radiation is to treat cancer. When they all start hive minding together and group up in large bunches it becomes a circle jerk who can be the most progressive to the point it now becomes the cancer itself. Now fuck off back to tumblr. The centrist adults are talking

I'll tell you why OP: soccer is just really boring to watch. That's it really. If it was more entertaining, it'd be more popular

Only way is if it starts to make money and has more domestic stars play here, or if Messi comes

>That's it really. If it was more entertaining, it'd be more popular

And yet it is the most popular sport in the world.
BTFO
*gets shot*

The game tonight vs. Panama will be one of the biggest in years for US Soccer. You can probably gauge the nationwide popularity by the numbers for this game.

Has it ever occurred to you people aka rest of the world Americans always knew about soccer. It's not like it was some magical invention that only you knew about. We know about it, in fact we used to play it. But then other sports came around and no one wanted to play soccer anymore. Imagine that. People liking other things. Give it a try sometime.

This. Add some commercials, like after every throw in. Remove the substitution limit, make it 60 minutes divided by four quarters of 15 minutes each. Make each score 6 points, every time the ball is kicked into the goal 3 points, make the ball egg shaped and round, give them pads, elongate the field and narrow it, remove the goal and replace them with me bright yellow field goal posts, and name it football.

And don't forget to kneel

It's the most popular sport in the world because it requires next to nothing to pick it up. When you have a potential player base of 7+ billion you're gonna have a higher chance of finding good players.

Compare that to American Football where you require at least 22 people to play (and that doesn't count special teams) and a bunch of pads and other gear, and you have a much smaller pool of people getting exposed to the sport and playing it.

It's just a numbers game at the end of the day

>and no one wanted to play soccer anymore.
MLS is more popular in the US than any of handegg, apehoop, icefight, and school shootings is in Europe. If handegg was as popular here as the MLS is in the US, we would have entire sections in the newspaper about handegg, yet we don't.

B T F O

Amerifat with no knowledge of Soccer here. Genuine question. I know here we call it Soccer, and the ball is called a Soccer ball. Since it's called Football in the rest of the world, is the ball called a Football ball?

Hockey is a prime example of this in a microcosm.

Very expensive and not offered at many public schools. Versus basketball offered at most public schools. Poor people and mostly blacks who are the poorest, are now able to play. Hence why they are so involved in those sports. Its exactly what happens with soccer. Cheapest sport to play.

No, it's just a ball. Or a "Football"

Apehoop and icefight are pretty big in Continental Yurop
Not sure what you're talking about

Also the AP stopped covering MLS

No Ahmed you missed the point. Soccer isn't popular in our country. I didn't once claim football was popular is yours. Please face the east and begin to pray.

One million viewers
A third of what the average Liga MX game gets!

cool thanks for the clarification. Glad I can ask stupid questions like that anonymously...

...the game hasn't happened yet, so we don't know what the viewership numbers will be

We all know it was you, Jeremy.

w-who's Jeremy!?

I can project from similar games, dates, and channels

It's on ESPN2 ffs
ESPN thought that Memphis-Uconn was more important than US world cup qualification

>implying watching Edsall coming back to his old team and trying to lead them to victory isn't compelling tv

Not really. I've been to a few icefight games here and while I enjoyed it it doesn't even have national coverage here. Apehoop can't even compare to how far icefight has been able to get to.

>Also the AP stopped covering MLS
I'm sure this is the only source of news in the US.

I clearly demolished your point that football isn't popular in your country, MLS gets a lot of attention by Americans, the recent attendances at that new MLS team Atlanta's stadium has been huge. Please face away from the shots the next time a shooting hapens.

>>>/reddit/

Get rid of draws and bring back shootouts like in NASL.

You said Yurop but then only described Englel

Plus you also said
>we would have entire sections in the newspaper about handegg
AP is the organization that writes all the sports stuff for national newspapers and they stopped writing stuff about MLS

Ok then icefight is popular in about three European countries, each of which still have football as their most popular sport. If apehoop is considered popular in Europe just because of Gasol then that's just pure delusion.

You mean Associated Press right? They still seem to be writing about MLS.

apnews.com/tag/MajorLeagueSoccer

Or the early days of MLS

Why are Yuros so accepting of ties anyways?

>The Lob Podcast: Deconstructing American Soccer (Part I) feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/263655620-these-football-times-the-lob-deconstructing-american-soccer-part-i.mp3

Recommending this.

They stopped doing the sections

They need to win the WC, after that they'll love it.

It would be bad tho, if the US had football tradition they could dominate the sport with their massive infrastructure.

It would need to shake the stigma of being a faggy sport. Most people here have never even seen a soccer game other than like their little kids playing it, and they don't care too because they just think its a faggy sport. It will never get most american football fans because they just like to see people hitting. They don't care about anything else in the game, they want big hits. Even most of the biggest fans of offense would probably tell you they'd stop watching if they took hitting out. They don't like other sports as much since there isn't near as much hitting.

For soccer to be more popular you have to target youth, fight the stigma, and pray another league is doing poorly enough to draw in viewers.

I actually am trying to get into MLS. Hate the NFL, don't feel like watching Lebron take on the Warriors in the finals every year in NBA, for some reason I view hockey as gimmicky because of the skates. I know MLS isn't good compared to other leagues, but it will never get better if US soccer fans only watch euroshit.

>If apehoop is considered popular in Europe just because of Gasol then that's just pure delusion.

Basketball is relatively popular in continental Europe.

>Spain's Group B game against Turkey - played at 21:00 (CET) on Sunday 6 September - pulled in an audience of 2.16 million viewers, for a viewing share of 14 percent, while their game against Iceland on Wednesday 16 September had an audience of 2.01 million.

That's just in Spain, a country with what, 40 million people?

The MLS loses to billiards in the ratings, draws less than the WNBA, and has only seen marginal attendance growth since its inception 20 years ago.

not directly competing with NFL would also help. Have the season end before NFL season begins. Any football fan thinking about checking out MLS will take one look at the schedule "nevermind"

Spain is about as popular as it gets when it comes to basketball in Europe and its a relatively recent thing due to the interest in Gasol. Otherwise there's Lithuania whose main sport is still football by far.

What are the attendances at billiards and WNBA then? Do they even have a core support comparable to Atlanta United's sale of 22,000 season tickets? A lot of clubs here don't even sell that many season tickets.

Playing during the winter is a terrible idea

the Donovan 2010 goal and EPL bump already brought an insufferable load of new faces in the crowd to shout their meaningless opinions such as "Klinsmann is right" and "USMNT players are not enough despite surviving 20 years on domestic-based players". Would rather it remain unpopular thx

having barely any kind of support base and competing directly with the most popular sport/league in the country is also a terrible idea.

Gotta pick your battles
Attendance is more important right now than the ratings

Soccer's main problem is that it's redundant to basketball and hockey, both sports built around a group of guys moving around a rectangular surface trying to put an object into a goal. Don't care that they play it with their feet. The concept is basically the same.

Then you add in diving, ties, shootouts, and a low comeback factor, it's simply a sport not suited to our tastes.

The main chance it has of becoming an actual relevant sport is Mexican immigrants continuing to breed like rabbits (and they really don't. The perception is they have like 5-10 kids each, when they really only have about half-a-kid more on average than whites).

>Is there any way Soccer can become Popular in the U.S.A?
As anything more than a game for kids? No. Even the kids who play soccer past the age of 10 or so get picked on.

simple reason

FIFA is corrupt as fuck. that's all there is too it.

EVERY fucking 4 years there is some ultra controversial refball. Like they get D-list refs from literallywhosylvania or povertyland and the ref completely fucks over a team. It's your marquee event, it's once every 4 years, get it right, but they won't of course because they only care about money. And I think at least the last 2 world cups the american team has been super fucked with refball.

Americans realize that refball can happen in other sports, but there are moments during the WC where it is garbage and obviously rigged, like japan/korea world cup 2002 for example

oh and second smaller reason i forgot is the diving and flopping. it's disgusting and eurocentric

It happens in the NBA/NHL now since all the euro balls/hockey players brought it over and get criticized for it too. The only way to stop it is to automatic red card a dive. But this again falls back to shitty officiating, offsides refs fucking up, only recently finally implemented goal line technology. Just get the call right

I suppose that makes some sense but you need growth outside cities that have teams. Eyeballs across the country can help it grow nationwide, not just in Seattle and Atlanta.

I agree with you. Thats why I don't think it could overtake another sport here without a combination of popularity growth while another league also fails. It'd be really difficult to get it popular otherwise
>Mexican immigrants
I can definitely see them helping though. The team I picked that I would support seems like it is gonna have a mostly latin fan base, which doesn't surprise me for the area

A sport where America isn't automatically the best will never be the most popular sport in America. It's just a lot more marketable this way.

Spain is a part of Europe, obviously. Basketball is also popular in France, Turkey, Greece, Italy, and of course Eastern Europe. By all accounts, it's probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest team sport in Europe. Euroleague draws about 7,000 fans per game.

Attendance is a poor barometer in measuring how popular a sport is here. People will go to a sporting event "for something to do," and in the case of Atlanta, it's more about experiencing the new stadium than watching soccer.

The New York Cosmos drew 77,000 for a game and were regularly drawing over 40K per game 40 years ago. It didn't translate into soccer becoming relevant.

MLS's true relevance is WNBA, Women's golf, level. And those sports get press coverage too.

Explain hockey then fucktard.

Of course it'll become popular. It's far too much of a threat to the big 4 so they purposely handicap it by having a wage cap and having a completely meme system. If you think it can't become popular purely because it's America you're a fucking retard.
In the '50s, '60s and some of the '70s you waged an entire war to fight Commies and now they're walking on your streets talking about how Trump, who's pro-American, is actually anti-American and so is anyone who supports him. Public perception changes depending on where the shekels lie. This is a simple fact.

>hockey
>most popular sport

Babysteps
Plus given the length of the season (3 months longer than baseball) it's impractical to avoid the NFL

>A sport where America isn't automatically the best will never be the most popular sport in America.

Or we just don't really like it all that much.

We already had an entrenched sporting culture here before soccer fully arrived. You have to remember that codified Association football isn't that old, so the main sports that would've first found popularity here among English settlers would've been bat-and-ball games (cricket, baseball's early folk forms, town ball, etc) and "mob" football, which more resembled American football than soccer.

This.

t. Soccer/Lacrosse kid

This. A sport is doomed to fail when its roots aren't firmly planted in youth leagues. Soccer can't compare with other sports in that regard. Sure there are youth leagues, but they die off quickly right around the middle school/high school level.

Truth is I played league soccer for 11 years growing up, from ages 3 to 14. The last year or so I was being scouted by, well, dudes with British accents (that's really all I knew about them since and I was just a kid who didn't ask questions or actually follow the sport professionally). Like most athletic kids, I was also playing all the other major sports, and I had to hide the fact that I still played soccer from them out of embarrassment. It got to the point where I was so ashamed of still playing soccer that I begged my parents to quit. I know it seems silly now, but to a kid that kind of peer pressure is overwhelming.

I don't know, maybe things have changed since I grew up, but I have a feeling that it's much the same these days in typical white America suburbia.

Why do people feel like soccer should become popular in the US?

>Because it's the world's game! Everyone loves it! We can't be an outlier forever.

Cricket is the 2nd largest sport in the world (or basketball depending on how you crunch the numbers) and no one feels like cricket should become huge in Russia or Denmark just because 2 billion people love it.

Some things just aren't meant to be.

cricket is only #2 because of pajeets, that's all

It won't happen as long as the US keeps the Mexicans out. An influx of Mexicans will also lead to falling NFL ratings (they don't give a shit about that sport) and the loss of certain amendments (they don't give a shit about the Constitution).

> ifunny watermark
> normie meme

i'm surprised there wasn't reddit spacing.

>Attendance is more important right now than the ratings
Full Retard.

Ratings are all that matters. Look at a USF home game, fuck all in the stands, but they still make more than any MLS fagball team because of dem ratings

>MLS is popular in the US

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry britbong but a few libshits here shilling doesn't imply MLS is popular. Those 70k games they bring up have been seen before, over ten years ago when people thought MLS was going to become a huge hit, and nothing happened. Reality is that the majority of us don't care about the sport and some of us even hate it because of liberals trying g to push it incessantly. No TV contract, cheap tickets, no national coverage, no one cares, aside from those few libshits who want to pretend they're a European because they like divegrass

Only liberals care about what the rest of the world does. The rest of us don't give a fuck, notice how thea majority of soccer fans in the US are liberals?

>MLS is popular in the US

Mexicans love the NFL you stupid bong

maybe if you keep making these threads

Attendance has never mattered in sports, it's all about television ratings because that means ad revenue, the life blood of pro sports. That's why most of us laugh when MLS fags bring up the Atlanta attendance because that means jack shit if no one is watching it on TV and it doesn't help that MLS tickets are dirt cheap whereas NFL and NBA tickets are hundreds of dollars and some NFL teams have waiting lists because the demand for tickets is just too high. Green Bay has a waiting list extending decades

Soccer is not popular in the U.S. because there is not enough black people.

I'm not even trolling, being totally serious. Americans associate black people with superior athleticism, when they see a sport where the best players are white, where the best teams come from European (or European-influenced) countries they think it's not athletic enough.

That's why you always see them making proposals to change the game that make it better for black players, such as adding substitutions and time-outs, which would allow pacy niggers to rest more.

As it is now, soccer is an extremely white sport (with the exception of France, of course, where they promote early maturing niggers in the youth system) so Americans think it is "faggy".

So if France wins the Worldcup the US will start to love soccer?

Yes, if France becomes successful through their system and every team starts adopting early maturing pacy niggers, soccer will become popular in the U.S.

As it is now, there is no chance.

It's not that, it's just Americans have been bombarded with memes their entire lives. Everyone who isn't a retard knows the anticipation is what makes something exciting, not the act. How can you celebrate someone scoring a basket in apehoop when it happens continuously? The entire game is completely irrelevant up until the last 15 seconds. Boreball people only go to to show how American they are and take selfies. No one watches at home. NFL is a meme in itself that people only watch for the half time show, no one takes notice of it until the Owl. Icefight is Canadian and was pointless to watch at home until HD became the standard because it was impossible to see the puck.
It's just like your movies and music, simple memes to please simple minds so they spend hard worked for shekels. You could say football started to go the same (((way))), but I'm much more likely to see someone wearing a Yankees cap than I am to see them wearing a Halifax away shirt, not because baseball is more popular, but because your "sports" are just more (((enterprises))) to bring in more gold. Do you think these (((franchises))) move State just for a giggle?

>I'm not even trolling, being totally serious. Americans associate black people with superior athleticism, when they see a sport where the best players are white, where the best teams come from European (or European-influenced) countries they think it's not athletic enough.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Keep your cuck fantasies out of discussion.

have super hot cheerleaders
also focus on them (like football use to in it's glory days)
not less than 5 sec for every 100 min of boring soccer
when the camera pans way back to see the tiny ants getting position, show the hot cheerleaders

Why is it every post by a non-American flag on here has a worldview based on nothing but Sup Forums memes rather than real life experience?

>mediocre
LeBron would have been mediocre in soccer.

You know that lanklets are actually terrible in "soccer", right?
Not one NBA player would be useful on a pitch.

Become really good at it

If they start winning games, people will watch

>70,000 people in a country of 300 million
No one cares about soccer outside of some spics and hipster nu males. They are passionate dedicated fans so thats why you see sold put games like that, but the people in attendance make up a much larger percentage of soccers actual fan base compared to other nfl, NBA, MLB games. Show me the tv ratings for these soccer games, they are pathetic

the argument isn't necessarily that elite basketball players would be good at soccer, but rather that the best potential soccer players probably played other sports and never amounted to anything professionally.

I'm not talking about the popularity you fucking moron

It's funny how Americans are proud of how undemocratic their sport is because poor people can't play it, like nobility looking down on the common people.

Yes but here it would be that LeBron tried soccer, couldn't hack it, and turned to faggy basketball. So call him mediocre.

In the US soccer is mostly viewed as a woman's game or daycare for your kid till they are old enough to play a real sport and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

>Show me the tv ratings for these soccer games, they are pathetic
Tell me Bruce, what TV networks be better off doing? Air sport with 65 commercial breaks, or air sport with 1 commercial break?
Unlike your sports football isn't about athleticism. Most athletic teams don't always win (in fact they rarely win). The best football players are normal people. The "athleticism" argument is moot point

ironically soccer is the most expensive sport to play because concussionball is so heavily subsidized at all levels of the game

But the fact remains that very few people here care about it. I'm not maymaying. I truly wish more people cared about it, but they don't. Imported beaners love it.

It's not even about the muh LeBron as a goalkeeper, muh Westbrook as a striker. It's about random people who would've been great players if the interest and training infrastructure were there. But it's not.

And nothing will change so long as the people in charge are the same ones who appointed Bruce fucking Arena as the national team coach.

This is stupid of me but how does that make it more expensive?

ikr, but I believe this is slowly changing. USA isn't monolithic. Somewhere "soccer" is becoming popular, less expansive, kids play it in the streets when it was only basketball
20 years ago you didn't have anything. Now a US kid can dream to become pro, it's possible.

No one cares about soccer here because it's boring as fuck and the American fans are cancerous hipster faggots and while first generation spics like soccer, their children will prefer American sports

>someone who actively works against american values and our constitution and turns a blind eye to white supremacy and nazism is pro-american

stop nigel