So I just got through S1 of TNG and I don't really understand the Wesley hate

So I just got through S1 of TNG and I don't really understand the Wesley hate.

Sure Wil Wheaton is a MASSIVE faggot in real life, but I don't get why people get so mad at his character in the show.

There's only like two things he's done in S1 that are retarded and only had one line that made me cringe.

What's the deal with Wesley? It's not like he's fucking Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

johnstonsarchive.net/startrek/st-episodes-1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Keep watching, s2 now.

Go to bed Will.

It gets worse

The episode where picard and wesley were trapped in a cave was the worse.

the episode that he falls in love with the alien girl is good

>spends 90% of his time being a pussy
>becomes a god

Leaving aside that he's played by Will Wheaton, Wesley Crusher is a profoundly annoying character. His arc is "genius infallible kid" followed by "ACTING ENSIGN genius infallible kid " and what passes for his problems are the loss of his father (which isn't a character flaw and has already occurred by the start of the series) and not being noticed/respected enough by Picard / crew. Funnily enough The First Duty is GOAT and is in my top ten TNG episodes. The dumbest thing about his character is that they decide that being a Star Fleet wunderkind was just too modest so that he has to be some kind of proto-god space time manipulating uber being. Just bad writing across the board.

I think he was put into the show to appeal to a you get audience. But what they fail to understand is that kids don't want to be an annoying nerdy know-it-all, they want to be Picard and Riker and Worf, and to a lesser degree LaForge.

Lets be honest when you say massive faggot it's not massive enough

>Sir, I think you should do X thing this way
>We're trained and experienced Star Fleet officers, I think we know more than an acting Ensign
>Whoops, looks like we should have listened to Wesley after all. Good thing he's here to bail us out.

How did such a cute kid turn out so ugly?

That beard he's forced to wear barely covers it

I wanted to be Data

I still want to be Data

He was mildly annoying in the earlier seasons because Gene wanted him to be le ultimato human wunderkind, this is what all children are like in the future!! so he was always doing stupid genius stuff that baffled everyone else. Once he finally kicked the bucket Wesley actually became a more interesting flawed character.

This was kind of my assumption, but I think he was also maybe supposed to serve as a foil to Picard, who was already comfortable around children, and exponentially so when it's the child of his would-be sweetheart and the son of a man he feels responsible for the death of.

There were a handful of episodes that used their relationship well, but overall it was a missed opportunity. Doesn't really matter, though. Picard had a much better adoptive son in Data.

I like him, too.

Autism.

Yeah, I thought he was fine.

Fuck you mate data is the best TNG character I'll fight you

are any voyager episodes kino?

Counterpoint is really well choreographed and acted for a Voyager episode.

"Year of Hell" is about as good as it gets

Sadly VOY doesnt have any GREAT episodes. No "City on the Edge of Forever" "Yesterday's Enterprise" or "In the Pale Moonlight" none of the VOY episodes really stand out as an instant classic on the scale the other series best episodes do

VOY is good to mediocre at its best , but tends to just be retarded and terrible

>Yesterday's Enterprise
Am I the only one who thought it was just pretty good?

No I agree. It's a great premise, the lighting and style of the alternate Enterprise is great, but focusing on Tasha and that guy from the other Enterprise was a mistake as there was no emotional investment in either of them.

I liked the Guinan parts though, I've always thought she was a great character and she really shined in it.

I'm not sure about Guinan on the whole t.b.h.
They couldn't just keep that celebrity cameo character a regular person, appearing every now and then with maybe some joke or good advice, no, she has to become a nearly immortal know-it-all superhuman with great impact on numerous stories.

What this user said Just keep watching. I thought the same not too long ago and binged through the entirety of TNG. Fuck Wesley. "Omg, Wesley is so smart and a master of everything including shit!" I will say one good thing about his character. He has good taste in qt3.14s

Were people envious of Wesley Crusher?

Cute kid -> ugly adult
Ugly kid -> cute adult

Captain. I recommend we fully charge phasers, rotate the frequency of the shields, petition the Romulans for aid, eject the warpcore and fire a full spread of torpedoes. Maximum yield!

I don't think people were envious so much as they were tired of hearing about how brilliant Wesley is for the millionth time. If they had just used the story about the traveler meeting Wesley and then taking him away all within the first season, it would've been great. In the beginning, like the OP, Wesley isn't so bad.

Worf really knows how to style his hair throughout TNG and DS9.

Wesley came across more like the side of Kirk that Piccard didn't have. You know, the alien punching and romancing type.

wasn't you thinking about Riker by a chance?

Oh yeah, my mistake

Data is by far the most interesting aspect of TNG. His episodes are mostly very good and deal with very interesting themes. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be him. You don't have shifty emotions, ans in fact has a huge amount of knowledge and respect from all the crew.

Picard had both of those aspects, just more toned down.

>Wesley's shuttle has sustained heavy damage sir!

a little too optimistic?

Looks like a complete loser

It was okay. But the Tasha plot didn't bring up any interesting points and I don't know if she's the real Tasha. The Tasha I know brings up rape gangs as dirty talk, just like she did with Data

There's maybe two women I think I remember Picard making it with besides Beverly. That episode though where he and Beverly are connected telepathically pissed me off.

>Beverly: "Why didn't you tell me you had these feelings?"
>Picard: "Blah blah blah friend, blah blah blah respect."

Later that evening after being rescued

>Picard: "So, Beverly, I've been thinking and thought maybe you and I could..."
>Beverly: "No."

Wtf was that conversation between Riker and Guinan

every tng character is like that in the beginning.
they are all flawless and brilliant and get along great with eachother.

Fixed it

The best scene of that season.

when did kirk romance aliens?
Im pretty sure he kept snubbing them because he's in love with the enterprise.

>flawless
>yards and rape gangs

thats why shes the most interesting character at that point

I wish they left him on the planet that wanted to execute him for falling in someones garden.

It was objectively the right thing to do. But Picard let his personal feelings for Beverly interfere

Honestly going through the series again I found Wesley kind of relatable to an extent. He had a lot of expectations for himself he didn't live up to and he had to basically decide what he wanted to do in his life which is different from most trek characters who already work for star fleet

Riker looks like a fag tbqh

Say that to my face fucker and not online.

shut up Wesley

Kirk No.2 is probably the best thing in the whole show

butt chin

>Voyager could have redeemed asshole cadet from First Duty
>makes up OC DO NOT STEAL version because execs were ferengis

>Does anyone have the copypasta comparing the search for extraterrestrial life with walking through central park at 2 am and shouting "anyone there"? It is something like that.

>In the Star Trek universe it would only take a few centuries for a civilization to spread through the galaxy yet it hasn't happened yet in billions of years? Why? While exploring Kirk and Picard discovered all different kinds of entities, some of them supremely powerful even if they lacked the motivation to use their power. All of these things are existential threats and clearly in the past these thing or something like them wiped everybody out. The federation's position is extremely precarious even though everything seems fine. They need to go out and find threats like the borg and such, but while doing so they mustn't accidentally stir the hornet's nest. That is basically what the prime directive means.

>You found a massive dyson sphere. Leave it. If you uncover the origin of intelligent life, don't make a big deal out of it. If you find a species of rock people with 8 cocks and psychic powers, don't fuck with them, just don't touch them, leave them alone. If a species discovers antimatter and decides to blow themselves up with it, maybe it is for the best. If they develop warp travel then we have to interact with them, but lord have mercy don't fuck with them, be diplomatic as fuck. If you encounter a civilization like the Klingons, the Cardassians, the Romulans or the Dominion, send your best, brightest and most virtuous people out of billions so they don't fuck up, they have to be embued with Picard's moral standards and shit because if they embarrass us you might give the best and brightest on the other side a very good reason to think building superweapons and trying to exterminate us is an unavoidable necessity, and they may well figure out a way to do it.

Imagine a sci-fi show about exploration and adventure where our protagonists went nowhere and did nothing...

ya'think Riker's gains are natty considering he lived in Alaska and prefers cooking the "old fashioned way"?

>Sadly VOY doesnt have any GREAT episodes

Absolutely, patently, 100% false. Terrible, just terrible opinion and I assume you've forgotten much of the series because you can't live with something being bad but also presenting exceptional pieces of television.

Year of Hell was a two parter as well. Episodes of Voyager that are mostly considered GREAT by Star Trek standards:

>Scorpion
>Mortal Coil
>Timeless
>Latent Image
>Blink of an Eye

Five right off the top of my head with three of those five being unique and/or high-concept that were executed well. You'll notice they're all in Season 4 and 5 when they recognized the EMH and Seven as the two most interesting characters on the show.

Regardless of the show as a whole, it did create some great Trek in it's peak and I'm not alone in this as those episodes seem to be just some of the recurring "GREAT" episodes people mention all of the time.

add Course: Oblivion to the list

Should I watch DS9? Watching S1 of TNG and it looks cool too

you should watch all of the Trek, preferably in chronological order
but if you want to limit yourself than TNG and DS9 are a must

also every single Trek except for TOS gets better after first two seasons/somewhere during season 2.

>add Course: Oblivion to the list

Can't believe I forgot that one. Honestly, one of the few pieces of Trek that just gut shots you unapologetically.

Don't start DS9 unless you want to sit through two fairly bad seasons and then get to five full seasons that you need to mostly watch back to back.

DS9 is one of the few Treks that you can't watch piecemeal once it decides where it's going.

And the Dominion War arc is so centered to every other episode and always in the background of even the standalone type of episodes that you might as well wait to watch it unless you are ready to dive into 170 something episodes.

DS9 is great but you can't start it until you're well into TNG, the events of the DS9 pilot are straight after Chain of Command Part 2:

johnstonsarchive.net/startrek/st-episodes-1.html

>Don't start DS9 unless you want to sit through two fairly bad seasons
Where did this meme come from? DS9 is strong off the bat, especially if you compare it to early TNG.

>trekprops.de

Based germany

Shut up, Wesley.

>Enter into a universe where you can tear up Troi's tuna as much as you please without repercussions.
>Immediately spaz out and leave

Any other major breaks of immersion that ruined an episode for you?

Watch all of tng then make your own mind up, idiot.

>Where did this meme come from? DS9 is strong off the bat, especially if you compare it to early TNG.

Well, yeah, comparatively it's not all that bad. And I even give it extra credit for being the most creative of all early season Trek.

But I'm just explaining to that user that it's two good seasons worth of below average Trek that transitions in to full on serialized week by week story.

It's mostly the only Trek that does that if you take away some of Voyager and Season 3 of Enterprise.

Is there a single crew member Troi hasn't fucked? She even slept with Barclay.

>She even slept with Barclay
when?

Picard, Data, Geordi?

>It was objectively the right thing to do

I would say his death is the morally correct thing to do.

Wesley's arc
>overmodulating kid whose mother's a widow with a need to cure even the most dangerous of aliens
>space pedo finds him to be worthy of his tutelage and begins grooming him for future predation
>eventually reaches adulthood and goes into the academy
>gets bullied robbie mcneill
>is forgotten
>shows up in the third to last episode and 'goes home' with 'the Traveler' into some special world of feels

They really had nothing to do with him by season 3 and had to keep mentioning him after season 4 because his mother was on his ship and it would be weird for her never to talk about her son again.

I legitimately liked Course: Oblivion although it says a lot about VOY that the best episode doesn't actually use the main characters for almost all of it.

>I legitimately liked Course: Oblivion although it says a lot about VOY that the best episode doesn't actually use the main characters for almost all of it.

The only thing that distinguishes them from the main characters is that they are duplicates.

Much of what we saw on the duplicate Voyager would happen on the real Voyager but in more time.

would happen = did happen

End of the episode where he turned into a super genius Chad.

Data doesn't really count. It would be like arguing that she didn't fuck every calculator or vibrator.

>End of the episode where he turned into a super genius Chad.

I'm immediately reminded of that awesome scene where he's reciting Shakespeare and they pan to Troi who may as well be standing in a puddle of her own Betazoid lube.

Man, Troi was easy.

What the fuck is wrong with with Wesley in this picture? His neck and body shape makes him look like pic related

just doing the same OP

how can you not hate him after literally begging to be on the bridge all the time and then almost fucking shit up when he gets mind controlled

little cunt

Picard said "Shut up, Wesley" once and it became a catch phrase. It was all down hill from there. Which is funny because the season 1 space traveller said that Wesley has a gift comparable to Mozart and should be encouraged. Picard destroyed one of the greatest minds of a generation. Kirk would have taken him under his wing and made a Caesar out of him

I wanted to be Q

He has a highly elevated distortion in the male-enzyme continuum.

Bitches love poetry.

He gets worse later. He's basically a writer's pet who is also a Mary Sue who can do no wrong. He's a golden child. Only good thing he does is leave the show to go to Starfleet Academy.

>"Year of Hell" is about as good as it gets
I would almost dare to say that Year of Hell was one of the best 'action' orientate episodes ever to be in Trek.

And no, I'm not counting Jew Jews trek.

Also, Voy had some really great and interesting ideas that were never fully explored because everything had to be warped up and back to normal at the end of every episode. For example, it would have been interesting from a plot and physiological standpoint to have left B'elanna Torres split into two separate parts for a long time.

Is pulaski drinking a 40?

>>gets bullied robbie mcneill
Hahaha. I don't know was this shit so funny.

Definitely looks like a modified Olde English 40 oz.

She gettin' crunk.

Somebody post the tng chapter guide pls

tinyurl dot com slash startrekviewingguides

Hey, remember when the production department muffed up this mock photo of "Nicolas Locarno (aka totally not Tom Paris)" by switching the placement of his combadge?

>me neither

wasn't a big fan of this ep. other than qt-human belanna

Yes, thats the problem with Voyager

Wasted Potential: The Series

Why did they make Picard into such a nervous nancy in this episode?

Because he was _attached_ to Beverly?

Are there any GOOD Wesley episodes?

Absolutely none at all.

Irredeemable tripe. His best episode is probably the one in which he meets some furry beast disguised as a sexy lass.