youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk
youtu.be/VwNpmpBC-t0
youtu.be/hKOZVW3cSw4
youtube.com/watch?v=cHJrfB7VquM
youtube.com/watch?v=rt49cc8471w
youtube.com/watch?v=9O7eXhQ1Xnc
youtube.com/watch?v=f9Bd4PdJtI4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Force Awakens is easily the worst of the John Williams scores. It sounds really plastic.

youtube.com/watch?v=41_ooqHzYGc
Honestly best in the series, fits perfectly with the mood and scene, shame it's so short and sfx are so loud

>its all mouse shil shit to sell pkastic crap to kids

grow up

>tumblr
Yeah okay, only some of the best music scores in cinema history and one of the greatest composers

Honestly I would put The Force Awakens up there a little further, it had some nice themes such as Rey's Theme when she is scavenging.

The thing is most the music just lacks in living up to originality. Too similar to many of his prior themes. It was hard to live up to it what he had done prior. I think all the scores are excellent and in no way do I think TFA score was shit. It never bothered me and had some good moments.

Attack of the Clones has to be the worst. There really isn't an iconic song that stands out like Episodes 1,3, 4, 5, and 6.

I will give John Williams credit that he really did different things in the prequels and came back with amazing work to rival his expectations set by himself in the OT.

revenge of the sith was the shit

youtube.com/watch?v=P1k5zo0w6N8

>even prequel trilogy had something to offer with its brilliant music
>disney garbage is not only shit as a flick but it has shit music too

there is not one redeeming factor of farce awakens

You have to be joking. You could argue it's better than any of the others.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=the shit

This is one of the best scores there is
youtube.com/watch?v=PuEnK5iJbwo

Agree about the top 3. Don't care about the others.

Pleb opinions

You guys probably haven't heard a John Williams score since Sith. He's changed as a composer and TFA is a reflection of that

If not that, then you're a hans zimmer babby who want a choir and epic war drums with everything

he is fucking old and they probably hired someone who could emulate williams and thats it. TFA is fucking garbage when it comes to the music

youtube.com/watch?v=vVulaCFNL4A
The asteroid chase soundtrack is the most underrated piece in the whole series.

>TFA is fucking garbage when it comes to the music
Why?

its music is so bland and indistinguishable from other flicks, like with marvel movies ... oh wait

Still waiting for an actual criticism. What specifically is bland about it? The instrumentation? The composition? Mixing?

>There really isn't an iconic song that stands out like Episodes 1,3, 4, 5, and 6.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Across The Stars, bro.It's a GOAT "40's" love theme. I've grown to like TFA's music but that piece alone is melodically much stronger than anything on it, IMHO.

And if you like RotS score, that piece when Anakin storms the Jedi temple is off the OST for II.

youtu.be/i8dqRMDoTqk?t=203

the composition the most, then the instrumentation

Darth >Obiwan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you do not convert to the dark side, then perhaps she will!

Luke >NOOOOOO... THIS IS THE RETURN OF THE JEDI!

Can't believe the studio let Lucas get away with this..

RotJ is such a clumsy movie, but it's all worth it for the throne room scenes.

Yeah you are right. Across the Stars is good.

My favorite part of the score is when Anakin takes Obi-Wan's saber in the fight vs Dooku. The drums in the score is my favorite. It was also played during the Corusant chase.

youtube.com/watch?v=eZ82COv-iv8

youtube.com/watch?v=MYw5KWTe15I

It's really hard to rank all of the scores because they are all good in my books. I just feel the others are more epic. I think any of my top 3 you could argue as his all time best.

You have shit tastes then

Wow you really have no idea what you're talking about

The score for TFA was mostly unmemorable, I'd say. When I think of a character or scene from the originals or even the prequels, I can immediately recall the music that accompanies the scene. With TFA, I can't for most of them. There are some that I can; the final sequence where Rey finds Luke IS fantastic and the music for that scene is perfectly ethereal and fitting.

I'm no expert in music theory so I couldn't tell you specifically why it doesn't resonate as well, but for me, most of the themes in TFA don't carry much thematic weight. In the originals, the music feels like it accompanies the characters, factions and ideas; in TFA, it just feels like it's there in the background.

>tfw can hear the TIE fighter spinning out in my head at 2:30

>7. Attack of the Clones

This is literally the best Star Wars theme ever:
youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

RoTJ is the weakest of the Original Trilogy but the Throne Room scenes are the best in the entire series.

>TFA
>above anything

It has ONE good track on it (besides the opening theme). AOTC has a few.

Are we already at a point where some people don't remember when Star Wars wasn't owned by Disney?

1. A New Hope - Binary Sunset
youtube.com/watch?v=I2PWvzU2JUU

2. Attack of the Clones - Across the Stars
youtube.com/watch?v=I2PWvzU2JUU

3. The Phantom Menace - Duel Of The Fates
youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

4. Return of the Jedi - Victory Celebration (fuck Yub Nub)
youtube.com/watch?v=II04E2GEJG8

5. Empire Strikes Back - Imperial March
youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

6. Revenge of the Sith - Anakin's Dark Deeds
youtube.com/watch?v=vAM80pXTjYQ

7. The Force Awakens
??

Wrong link

>2. Attack of the Clones - Across the Stars
youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

I'd say the music from the final sequence of VII is pretty great.

youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8

The best theme other than the binary sunset and imperial march:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hg-sWWmIVY

I feel like Williams was trying to almost start from scratch, as if there'd never been another SW movie. Rey's Theme sounds 'a little bit' like 'The Force' Theme, but nothing channels the SW overture in a way like 'Across The Stars' does, where it's both instantly memorable and hummable and yet recognisably 'Star Wars'.

It'll be interesting to see how the themes develop in the newer movies. But Duel of the Fates was never not fantastic.

The best thing TFA has is Rey's theme

youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM

Fair enough, though I think memorability isn't a good measure of the quality of a film score. There are too many factors in what makes something memorable for different people

It's Disney's curse

youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Episode V has no flaws.

I feel like with TFA Williams had to use too much of the original trilogy material. There were definitely some good moments, but I kept feeling I was hearing a lot of reused material. I blame Disney for trying to recreate Episode IV in every way.

>episode V has no flaws

Do you mean the score of the movie itself? Because if it's the latter

>I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain

>0:35
Take evasive action!

You have it backwards

1. Attack of the Clones
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Phantom Menace
4. A New Hope
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi
7. The Force Awakens

Last Jedi better have lot's of star destroyer scenes

Duh, this. Best imo Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale is also goat. Its a medley with The Imperial March and Across the Stars

1. ANH
2. ESB
3. RotJ
4. TPM
5. RotS
6. AotC
HUGE YAWNING CAVERNOUS POWER GAP OF GALACTICAL PROPORTIONS
7. TFA

For what it's worth, John Williams was nominated for an oscar for TFA.

For what it's worth, he lost to Morricone for that awful Tarantino movie.

And didn't even deserve it. The people in charge of Star Wars don't really care about it anymore, and it showed, even through the music.

It don't matter man hes not won times he should have and even not been nominated times he should have won. Oscars dont matter.

Williams was in his prime in 1999-2005 and the OT are amazing

ESB
AOTC
ROTS
ANH
TPM
ROJ
TFA

youtube.com/watch?v=kyqxWU1QkrE

Every time

>When I think of a character or scene from the originals or even the prequels, I can immediately recall the music that accompanies the scene

I can't do this for the PT outside of a couple scenes. I can''t do it because I was too busy face palming the last time I watched the PT about 2 years ago.

Suck a thousand ewok cocks you son of a bitch

youtube.com/watch?v=3z942aYVJA4

Movies that produced a leitmotif for the rest of the series:
ANH
ESB
Movies that didn't:
The rest

A sensible order.

Shut the fuck up faggot

I know this is just about his Star Wars works but it is weird actually just how many soundtracks he's done. His best that no-one ever recognises him for is The Long Goodbye.

no

>7. Attack of the Clones
>last
mmm

yes

Not really

If you're dumb enough not to understand that the music is forgettable, you won't understand why it is.

Yes really. Name 2 memorable tracks in TFA's score.

>Yes really. Name 2 memorable tracks in TFA's score.
What a ridiculous question

What's memorable or not depends on how many tiems you've seen a movie, if you were paying attention to the score, if the movie itself had memorable moments

"Memorable tracks" will differ person-to-person

I'd say the Rey and Poe Dameron themes are memorable. Someone wouldn't because you may not have been paying attention to the score, or they only saw the movie once

I fucking hate this new focus on film scores being memorable, discounting the actual work that goes into scores and how they work in the context of actual scenes

So you went from "no, it's not bland!" to "it's subjective you can't say for certain!"

An exception:
youtube.com/watch?v=h7c-n4k3XrU

As also heard here:

youtube.com/watch?v=aAs7Wxvc1_o

No, I was asking you to explain WHY it's bland to you. You then implied that unmemorable = bland

I'm not here to change your opinion, I only wanted to know why you think its bland

If its because you didn't find it memorable, I'm suggeting there's more to the score than that

it's

Here's the conversation

>the music is bland
>not really
>yes really name 2 memorable tracks from TFA
>but it depends

You've ignored my point

Memorability is too abstract for me to definitively state that the score is """"memorable!""""

You'll hear people say that Elfman's Spider-Man had a memorable theme, others would disagree

Calling a score "bland" is shit criticism if your only bar is memorability, instead of its makeup and how its actually used in the movie

I can only say that it was for me, but I do believe it will enter the pop culture consciousness when its original themes are reprised in the next two movies

If you want more than that, Rey's theme would traditionally be considered memorable considering its heavy use in the movie

You hear most of it in full in her opening scene, with no dialogue and little sound effects. It then features in most of her scenes including her lightsaber battle. This is how Luke's theme was treated in the original movie too

When I said name 2 memorable tracks in TFA, Rey's theme was the one memorable one I had in mind. The rest of it isn't.

I disagree with you there but that's fair enough

1. Attack of the Clones

the rest don't matter

This one is also one of my favorites of Ep. 3

youtube.com/watch?v=1JhPIivx6lg

The Choir they used for these OSTs are truly amazing

1. Second half of Return
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. First Half of Return
6. Clone Wars
7. Phantom Menace
8. Power gap
9. Shit
10. Power gap
11. TFA

I love how classic Hollywood this sounds

>D-do I fit in yet?

this is possibly the best star wars song of all time

>Another contrarian asshole on Sup Forums
You are the one trying to fit in

The music doesn't doesn't accompany the prequels, it CARRIES them. Lucas was so boring as a director that Williams had to pick up the slack in order to make those scenes watchable. He was essentially given a blank slate to try and make entertaining to watch, which he did with more ornate/melodic passages.

On TFA, he didn't have the LSO anymore, he had an LA orchestra, so the sound is already less dense and more akin to the barebones feel of the original Star Wars. Now that JJ is directing, the scenes are so quickly paced and engaging on their own that all Williams is really doing is keeping up with it for most of the movie.

The prequels were an opera that have to try and tell the story on their own, the new movies are an actual film score again.

Exactly. The prequel scores work better outside of the film because they're more self sufficient, whereas TFA plays better in the movie since it's more nuanced and subtle. That said I enjoy it just as much and can't wait for Episode VIII's score.

The man's fucking 90 and we should be thankful for even getting more scores from him.

ITT ranking scores based on only one song

Phantom Menace is the best, Rogue One is the worst.

bitch

youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk

youtu.be/VwNpmpBC-t0

Switch Phantom Menace and A New Hope, and switch Force Awakens and Attack of the Clones. Then you got it perfect.

I'll give you Torn Apart but that other shit was just the separatist march re purposed but not as good lmao

What's all this hate for the TFA score? Yeah it's not one of Williams' best, but there are still plenty of memorable bits.
>Rey's Theme
>The Resistance Theme
>Snoke's Theme
>and that badass bit that plays whenever Kylo arrived to wreck shit

Phantom Menace has a fantastic score. Duel of the Fates and that Droid March song are both really good. Obviously ANH is good too just for creating some of the melodies that were used later but it has a big nostalgia advantage. TFA is a good deal underrated, Kylo's theme, Rey's theme, and Jedi Steps are all pretty good.

Fair, but try and tell me this variation combined with Poe's theme isn't the hypest shit
youtu.be/hKOZVW3cSw4

The fact I can't remember one song from it is a testament to how shit it is.

because you only watched the movie once? come on man, you have to admit there's some familiarity to songs that comes from hearing them multiple times. if your criticism is "forgettable", then you probably just haven't listened enough

That almost sounds like it was remastered to sound sharper, like the LSO performed it. Might just be my imagination.

Across the Stars...

r1 has the worst. holy shit its nearly as bad as the movie

Poe's theme starts at 0:52

My favourite version is this at 0:53 too:

youtube.com/watch?v=cHJrfB7VquM

It sounds like the old WW2 movies, love it

I don't think John Williams did the track for R1.

Holy crap, R1 was terrible.

He didn't. RO was Michael Giacchino, who's usually really good, but from what I hear he was brought on late in the development and had little time to compose it.

Course not, Rogue One was Michael "Serial Franchise Abuser" Giacchino

RO's soundtrack was fine

He could have just gone wall-to-wall with Williams ques (especially in the short time frame he had), but he wrote some good original stuff

Jyn's theme is based on Dies Irae which Williams' used a lot (from memory, Obi-wan saying he's "too old for this sort of thing," the Luke's home on fire, Anakin telling Padme about how he'd stop people from dying and the Order 66 scene)

This Dies Irae part of her theme links to Obi-wan asking Luke to go with him to Alderaan, to deliver the plans and effectively end Rogue One's mission

The "Hope" theme itself is a pre-evolution of Luke's theme:

youtube.com/watch?v=rt49cc8471w

On top of this, he emulates Williams very well with action cues. This is his Medal of Honor work:

youtube.com/watch?v=9O7eXhQ1Xnc

And a track from RO

youtube.com/watch?v=f9Bd4PdJtI4

He also keeps his distinct style throughout, to me it was a hybrid of Williams and Giacchino and a pretty good first non-JW score

I don't remember one minute of RO's score, and I feel no desire to listen to it.

You don't have to remember a score for it to work