Will we ever get a film that has a true feel of Lovecraft?

Will we ever get a film that has a true feel of Lovecraft?

At the Mountains of Madness WHEN???

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HHCdRCNJl9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't reply to me.

he was racist and sexist. posthumously blacklisted. ew.

No because that would require a studio to take an actual risk. On a horror movie no less

Sshhhh

>not having that innsmouth look

>1. Too expensive for a horror movie

>2. Leading man couldn't be a hero

>3. Lovecraft was a hack

just have it be "found footage"
Who cares if it's the 1800's

>tfw Prometheus killed ATMoM
We got Crimson Peak instead though, but no one fucking remembers that despite it being kino.

Also, is Welcome To Night Vale Lovecraftian? I've heard this before but I've never read any Lovecraft.

I'll make it once I fulfill my dream of being a filmmaker...

word instead make crap like it follows, babadook, sinister, insidious

makes wayyy more sense

Nightvale is sjw trash. Half of the characters are black and gay

do horror movies not centered around teenage girls getting laid, or teen couples getting massacred, make much money?

I'm looking to be a filmmaker too, but I could never hope to be as good as any professional.

I am filming this meme script later on though so how bout that

In the Mouths of Madness is close

In The Mouth Of Madness will probably be the closest thing we have for a long time. It does a really great job for 90% of the film though

That doesn't really bother me, the stories they're telling are pretty fun and that's literally all that matters.

The book is pretty good too since it offers a look into some of the obscurity of Night Vale. The son being a moody shapeshifting bastard is pretty funny, especially when he tries to drive.

You lost me before I even finished that image. Have the characters talk to each other or be doing something unusual, let me know something about them from the first second theyre on screen. See:
Cool Hand Luke
Tootsie
The Fly
Friday
Drive
The Founder

Why would he scream? I can't imagine why anyone would scream in that situation. Seems off.

Cont. The problem is I literally care nothing about either of these two people when the action kicks in. They might as well be cardboard cutouts. If X kills Y who gives a shit? Make me care.

t. modern movie reviewer
>I need to care about people instantly, characters can't develop later, I need that shit from PAGE 1
>I literally can't care about the average joe getting into a bad situation, I lack basic empathy

user, do your thing. You'll develop and get better the more you do it.

This is a pretty good point. I think it's supposed to match the music but it doesn't feel natural.

For some reason Lovecraft-kino has migrated to videogames

I'd love a MoM movie

Replace the rig with the plane and the sandstorm with the mountains and have the camera zoom out a lot longer and you'd have a pretty good portrayal of the sense of dread the characters face

can't wait to see giant six foot tall albino pengiuns waddle slowly at tom cruise while he runs down a icey corridor and then jump right as an explosion goes off during "crawling through my skin"

You know they would just fuck up the movie.

song wrong, but yeah

I agree with you for the most part. Character's important and I really skimped on it here, but at this point I'd be happy to finish filming fucking anything at this point. This was just a fun little meme I did for shits and giggles that's easy enough to film with what little equipment/crew I have.

Yeah, I couldn't really think of a better way to segue into the Roundabout gag. I was thinking maybe he panics and tries to open the door.

Yeah, it's supposed to match the music.

Basically, Lovecraft is either too reliant on shit that just can't be shown (impossible angles, literally a new color, unimaginable horror, that shit), or is just too campy and unnatractive to the masses, which is a symptom of it's pulp roots.

There are some adaptable Lovecraft stories that just need some changes. I'm surprised a full Shadow over Innsmouth adaptation hasn't been made (besides Dagon), it's standard horror (guy arrives in a shady town, shit goes down) and ripe for great scares that can attract the average moviegoer.

I think it'd be easy to get things in motion with smaller Lovecraft stories. Why jump straight into Mountains of Madness when you could probably make The Rats in the Walls for like 35 millions (earns its money back on opening weekend, then everything after is profit.)

Then again the horrors of Lovecraft aren't really adequate for movies. Not so much because of the "2spooky2describe" aspect, but because the gist of Lovecraft is a lingering sense of dread upon the realization that we humans are nothing but smart apes yet ultimately meaningless.

In the Mouth of Madness is as close as I can imagine a movie nailing Lovecraft.

Your description made me kek

Bloodborne is straight up the best Lovecraftian media I've seen in fucking years. It doesn't rely on obvious references, name-dropping and shit, it takes some of the concepts does its own thing while still being recognizably cosmic horror. It's nods are subtle and neat when you get them, the most obvious being the tentacle-faced Amygdalas and Gug-like Silverbeasts.

Lovecraftian today means 'le big scary tentacle monsters!!', not existential horror whose devices have often been creatures whose mere existence is meant to question what we are humans and what humanity and our civilization mean. Unfortunately, those concepts don't hit anywhere near as hard as they did back in the 1920s when evolution was nowhere near to being an accepted theory and the world had incredibly different attitudes towards race, lineage and culture. Scientific advancement on ideas like multiverses and time have really killed the impact, too. We've gone through another world war, a dozen different literary post-modern deconstructionist dadaist surrealism faggotry 'genres' so that the original conceptes presented by Lovecraft just don't hit us like they would have nearly 100 years ago.

Agreed

you have no idea how movie finance works

i would prefer a robert w chambers movie tho

>troubled dude in his mid-20s
>'ive got an eclectic taste in music' song choice
>parking lot outside of a store at night
>gun
>'drive'
>fridge lights flickering
>eyes 'bolt' open

this is so cliche and typical of a kid your age its quite astounding

how about a mockumentary style mountains of madness with mostly smaller sets and props?

Nah, we're in the time when it's totally do-able. GGI, 3d, surround sound.
Imagine (leap of faith), GDT directing and realising the visuals, James Cameron on effects/cgi and Lynch on audio.
Yup, totally not gonna happen

>>'ive got an eclectic taste in music' song choice
You realize why I chose that right

Okay.

Honestly if he let out a somewhat feminine scream and made a stupid face, I'd die laughing, I'm even chuckling now that I'm imagining it because it's so stupid.

ATMOM is a movie about deep time. The whole idea of the story is to hammer into your skull just how horribly ancient everything is here, we're talking hundreds of millions of years, timespans human beings can't really comprehend. We can throw around numbers all we want, but the actual insane impact of finding footprints in 360 million year old bedrock is fucking crazy and impossible and redefines all history of life on Earth. ATMOM would need be a deeply ponderous, very long arthouse film that just sits down and wanders around a dead alien city for two and half hours just really hammering home that what you're seeing isn't supposed to exist, that everything you were taught is wrong. It doesn't even get into the whole 'life on Earth is due to negligence' thing or the existential horror that the shoggoth down there has just been crawling by itself for hundreds of millions of years, alive, immortal and probably completely and utterly mindless by this point. It's honestly unsettling to think about, but it would never, ever work as a Hollywood movie. Hollywood ATMOM would be Tom Cruise and some guys running from and shooting aliens in a spooky city for two hours with none of the Lovecraftian concepts dealt with at all.

i dont care

Okay

Just watch Based Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness, it even quotes Lovecraftian directly at parts

shadow over innsmouth, charles dexter ward, dunwich horror, rats in the walls and pickman's model are all fairly adaptable, at the very least as 30-45 minute episodes of a lovecraftian miniseries.

i think there's a good middle point where you shoot a movie about explorers in a documentary/video journal format in a modern setting. the shots would alternate between modest single point shots of monologues and dialogue and extremely wide shots of mountains and gigantic buildings, made either with cgi or preferably practical miniatures.

Pretty much this. A lot of the horror in Lovecraft doesn't really come from the setting, it comes from Lovecraft telling you things are scary because of impossible geometry, and unnameable horror. That kind of thing doesn't work in screen because at some point, you need to visually express why the characters are scared. You can't just have the screen go blank and have a narrator tell the audience that unspeakable eldritch horror is happening and expect them to be satisfied.

Although I agree that some of his stuff could work. Call Of Cthulhu is another, since it's almost a mystery story that just involves a guy tracking down statues and stuff. Mountains of Madness probably would have worked, too, if Prometheus wouldn't have ruined its chances of being made.

It was alredy done

youtube.com/watch?v=HHCdRCNJl9w

Shitting Christ

They're banking on that huge demographic of 10 year old HPL fans

They're banking on 30 year old memester 'nerd' dads with kids, still fucking weird

I think True Detective did Lovecraft pretty good.

That's Robert W Chambers, though

Fuck, technically it's Ambrose Bierce

Shoggoth's have their own city in a deep subterranean pool that is located underneath the old one's city. That one had just strayed upwards where the researchers could encounter it.

i honestly never got what people seem to want out of a Lovecraft adaptation. I hear "existential dread", which makes me think of something like Antonioni, but the cited examples in this thread are video games about using big swords to kill spooky monsters, and then the actual text of Lovecraft is neither of those things

Antonioni is more like "existential dread caused by bourgeoisie life of plenty" and Lovecraft is "existential dread caused by discovering old ass alien shit that changes your perspective on humanity"

I actually hate this meme with every bone in my body...

Bloodborne is about riding the line between humanity and inhumanity, and that inhumanity means either becoming a mindless animal or an alien creature also bereft of human familiarity. In the end both sides of inhumanity might actually be that, but you'll never know. Part of riding that line is being manipulated into taking out the key figures of a cultish theocratic conspiracy to experiment on people. It's only at the end that you look at yourself and realize you're not a person anymore and probably haven't been for a long time now. Or you can forsake it all and wake up like it was all a dream, having to live with what you've seen. It's mixed in with a lot themes about childbirth and pregnancy, there's the curse of lineage (the curse on the hunters from the hamlet massacre), mad scientists roaming around a pre-human civilization under the city and it's all mixed up classic Lovecraftian evils of the past.

Keep in mind there's quite a bit of combat that, if it doesn't happen in Lovecraft, is willing to take place. The professors use a magic banishing spell on the Dunwich Horror, Willet calls down Curwen in an asylum, there's a story about Harry Houdini escaping from ancient monsters in Egypt, Ammi Pierce murders the corrupted wife in Colour out of Space and there's the guy and his uncle armed with fucking flamethrowers in The Shunned House. That's just off the top of my head.

fpbp

Night vale is more surreal comedy with the occasional horror element to serve the humor, but the podcast is far past its prime.

To be honet the most could-be successful lovecraftian movie would be a semibiopic of lovecraft himself. It could play with his ugly looks and isolation by creating a big sense of dread and unknown while retaining the pulpy roots

so something that carpenter was once maybe going for but failed miserably due to his arguable lack of talent

step it up senpai

The Thing was the closest, even closer than Carpenter's actual Lovecraft adaptation

why not? Those movies make money

>Will we ever get a film that has a true feel of Lovecraft?

In The Mouth of Madness.

The problems with Lovecraft is that he's way too topical (THE MAGIC NEGROES, DEBASED IRISHMEN, AND INSCRUTABLE ORIENTALS ARE PLOTTING OUR OVERTHROW) and he's just not a good writer. Leigh Beckett and R.E. Howard both managed better Lovecraftian horror than Lovecraft himself.

>The problems with Lovecraft is that he's way too topical (THE MAGIC NEGROES, DEBASED IRISHMEN, AND INSCRUTABLE ORIENTALS ARE PLOTTING OUR OVERTHROW) and he's just not a good writer. Leigh Beckett and R.E. Howard both managed better Lovecraftian horror than Lovecraft himself.

Oh, you're one of those people.

Pretty much spot on I can't believe how much love was put in Bloodborne. There's so much quality and dedication put into it.

Go back.

Would love to see a Rats in the Walls adaptation.

>muhh yellow king
True Detective was good, but didn't really have much Lovecraft over it.

That's because The King in Yellow was a collection of stories by Robert W. Chambers that Lovecraft happened to like and referenced maybe three times. The only other shit Chambers wrote were shop girl romance novels, the story The Repairer of Reputations is genuinely unsettling.

>Howard writes several horror stories with more racism than Lovecraft and they still manage to be better reads
>UH BACK 2 TUMBLR ONLY SJWS DISLIKE LOVECRAFT!!1!11!

A racist who's a good author (Howard) knows how to draw out you primal tribal instincts; you might agree with his rhetoric but you understand it and can see how it exists.
Seriously, go read Black Canaan or Pigeons from Hell.

>le sjw boogeyman assumption

If your reading of Lovecraft is purely race-centric, you're fucking up, because that's merely an aspect of it, one that can be completely ignored. Read Supernatural Horror in Literature and you will gain a much better understanding of Lovecraft's view of horror. Race-centric views of Lovecraft are honestly fucking boring, tired and stale these days. A writer is much, much more than one thing. How much Lovecraft have you honestly, genuinely read? I've been a fan for at least a decade now and I've read everything available. Just reading the big famous stuff or stuff people talk about isn't a good way at all to go about understanding Lovecraft.

Howard's horror stories are middling at best, he truly shined in his fantasy stories. I've devoured nearly two whole books of Howard's Conan stories, a bunch of Bran mac Morn and Solomon Kane, they're pretty much fantastic. His style isn't suited to horror, he's too bold, too fantastic and he misses the vital point of vulnerability in his narrators. His tinges of horror in his fantasy work much better as just that, tinges, little moments of weirdness Lovecraft himself was so fond of.