U.S. Navy eyes new type of warfare

>Washington (AFP) - The US Navy is quietly pushing ahead with a radical new cannon that one day could transform how wars are fought, even though some Pentagon officials have voiced concerns over its cost and viability.

Named the railgun, the weapon in question represents a paradigm shift in ballistic technology. Instead of using gunpowder and explosive charges to shoot a shell from its barrel, it employs vast amounts of electromagnetic energy to zoom a projectile along a set of copper-alloy rails.

>yahoo.com/news/us-navy-keeps-electromagnetic-cannon-sights-022036370.html

We future warfare now.

How can the rest of the world even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TWeJsaCiGQ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like a dumb idea if you replace gunpowder with railguns

haven't we been waiting on this railgun shit for like 20 fucking years?

Yeah, everyone except for you has know about this since the late 80's.

The more dead muslims the better off the world is.

Does canada even have a military? Last i heard you were giving your bases to muslimes

This isn't anything new.
Don't they have working versions of these already?

nigger

They saw some action in Afghanistan

This has been around for years...

metal... gear

Seriously though, metal gear could be real in 10 years.

>tfw no way to counter nuclear warhead launched at incredible speeds from railgun

>mfw never will be launched from a railgun in a tincan wailing on the guitar as part of some horrible experiment to replace rapid deployment by helicopters

Rail gun isn't even exiting user bro, the laser is the real news

*WHOOOSSSSH*

it only shoots 150 miles

kek

>railguns
>new

You mean the railgun built and designed by British Aerospace?

It even has the logo on the side of it

>you clicked

good job

>laser

can't tonight, too foggy

>Each HVP eventually will cost about $50,000 -- still considerably more expensive than a conventional shell but an order of magnitude cheaper than guided missiles such as the Tomahawk, that cost more than $1 million apiece.

Well the price on those sure has gone up.
I remember them talking about the costs to fire the railgun and it was jack shit.
Like in the realm of few k at absolute tops.
I bet they made a contract with Shekelheim & Berg to manufacture those things.
After all they're just metal spikes, pic related.

They're working already yeah and as far as that power drain goes, the new Zumwalt class ship can power that no problems.

The main problem is the wear on the gun itself.
They basically fuck up the rails after couple of shots and that's a bit of a problem.
Think of it as a cannon where the barrel melts after few shots.

>11
can you please explain this to me or give me a wiki? I am genuinely interested and too drunk to googlefu it. Sounds like the most badass way to kys ever

Been in the works for a long time.
The principle is well understood.

The problem is storing enough electrical charge and making rails that don't disintegrate immediately. But I suppose they're working it out.

I laughed

>Named the railgun
>the railgun

Remind me why illiterate normie retards allowed to run blogs these days?

Can't do anything a cruise missile can't ... and those are only expensive because military procurement and the defense industry is fucked up.

IN

lel, saved.

dude you are embarrassingly far behind

how did you just now hear about this?

the fact that you actually use yahoo news might explain it

METAL GEAR?!

they need to have a projectile that has well controlled ballistic characteristics along with being able to not disintegrate immediately as it is launched.

I imagine it consists of some very difficult/expensive to make extremely hard alloys, and requires extremely precise machining.

good luck hitting these things with ciwis bro, also you can carry loads of these things

How the fuck do rounds cost 50k a peice? I could mill the same thing in my garage for 10 bucks

Shut the fuckk up you dumb nigger

lel who needs railguns, just use gunpowder

gr8 b8 m8

where do they generate the energy from? nuclear reactors?

nuclear doesn't provide more power than chemical
it just has greater fuel efficiency

>mounting rail guns on ships only
Honestly i see potential in these weapons on aircraft serving as long range anti tank/everything below. Like flying sniper rifles

That or regular.
It's not really about energy or power output, because the energy has to be discharged in a very short amount of time.

Just needs lots of very high end capacitors.

>What is recoil

They could, but there aren't any active nuclear powered cruisers or destroyers. Only carriers and subs use them.

Electricity is generated with an alternator whether it's nuclear, diesel, or whatever.
All nuclear reactors do is heat up water into steam to spin a turbine.

They have to have a bunch of fancy capacitors to be able to store and rapidly discharge that much electricity though.

Old news , but posting just because.

>humans can compinsate for recoil
>rail gun is giant gun
Giant robots?

Witbesssseeeeeeeeed

>somehow having potential is the same as this plan is fucking bulletproof that even JFKs head is safe

what? did you even read that

There is no rail gun in magnetic accelerators. Do you even into physics?
You have a bunch of magnets. Those magnets progressively speed an object up and it is pushed into progressively intensifying fields. Holy fuck.

Recoil. Of corse there's a rail gun. Fucking thumbs.

>What is recoil

>railguns
>new
What is BAE systems?

whoops

Yes i think they already put one on a battleship.

>Think of it as a cannon where the barrel melts after few shots.
why does the barrel melt? surely the sabot doesn't actually contact the rails at any point? is it friction caused by explosive air displacement? why is the barrel not a vacuum environment? are the capacitors themselves melting because they're shoving 1.21 gigawatts through them multiple times? what gives?

They even had some medic troops supporting us in Vietnam. Don't bash Canada for not wanting to police the world 24/7. There is plenty of other pussy shit to go after them for that isn't their military.

>what is google

Yeah or some way dwsign the gun to mount to the fount of the aircraft for longer distance

Bump

*design *front fuck

>tfw country has rail-gun and magnetic carrier launch catapult

The rounds are expensive because there is some self-guidance tech involved. Basically they can deploy drag along an axis to slight correct trajectory mid-flight. This gives them a range of 600 miles.

There's heat from the current used to make the EMF

I still don't quite understand the benefit of railguns compared to conventional weapons.

Actually there was a few thousand Canadians that headed south to fight with you in Vietnam. Not just medics.

I know a few of them.

Because you need a fuck ton of magnets to hurl a projectile longer distance. So instead of mounting the rail gun on the side like as a 155 0r 105, the entire hull is the gun. Like a bigger A10 with a bigger gun

No more magazine explosions on ships.

Not to mention one hell of a power source.

Pretty much rules out aircraft at this point in time.

This is what cracks me up about the gun control debate.

Guns are soooo dangerous... Blah blah blah

The fools have no idea what is coming.

Rail guns with make chemical projectial weapons look like air rifles.

...and people are building rail guns in their garage right now

3d printed rail guns will kill the god of regulation.

The cost is making them from pure tungsten senpai.

youtube.com/watch?v=TWeJsaCiGQ0

Go play some quake or watch that one Arnold movie

And the more muslims are born the worse off the world is.

>surely the sabot doesn't actually contact the rails at any point?
It does exactly this. An electric current is applied to one rail, conducted through the sabot, and completes the circuit through the other rail. This produces the force that pushes the sabot along the rails. Plus a fuckton of heat.

Are rail guns on tanks next? Once they perfect and miniaturize the technology, of course.

Love that flags food.

Bibinka and pork tocino is god tier breakfast

He's right though.

Thats exactly my point the idea is there as well as the potential. Tanks are another good idea, eliminate the need for depleted uranium shells, thus saving healthcare cost later in the future.

Also the aircraft would serve long range support. Opposite of the A10 CAS missions. If they can perfect the power/delivery system on the rail gun this could have potential to poineer the age of ariel artillery

Self-propelled artillery will get them before MBTs. That will be a long while off though; the gun itself isn't that big, but all the capacitors and generator(s) take a lot of space.

Sweet
And that was from 3 years ago!

Probably not tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised to one day see a railgun artillery battery. Basically a big ass generator on wheels that tows around the actual cannon. They could be set up deep in safe territory where they're well protected and fueled, and lob shells for miles deep into enemy territory.

That said, a long time ago I read a kick ass sci-fi novel that was basically about gigantic futuristic land battleships that were controlled by an AI plus a human commander. They had railguns, nuclear ICBMs, cruise missiles and a laser defense system, and basically you could drop a handful of them on a planet to roll around blowing up whatever you wanted. I forget what the book was called but it was a really fun read.

Canadian snipers are bretty good

>eliminate the need for depleted uranium shells
Excuse me but how would the propulsion of the shells change the fact that giving them a depleted uranium core extends their range etc.?

But wait, there's more!

Idk what you guys use down under but here in burger land on M1 abrams they use DU shells for penetration on armor. Like armor piercing ammunition on steroids.

But if perfected, the rail gun would use kinetic energy as the range, propulsion, and penetration trifecta.

The concept of weaponizing kinetic energy means the faster it goes the harder it goes through basically

But won't the depleted uranium core, making the missile more heavy, hold its kinetic energy for longer, extending range and armour penetration?

>tfw this thing got scrapped

thanks obama

Question: is the railgun a highschoool girl?

Never stop building cool shit and sweet weapons Ameribros.

On the concept railgun it would use a dense metal by itself as the payload, thus eliminating the need for using DU. On a 120mm, i would think heavy round would affect the velocity. Idk i was a scout not a tanker

>railguns

how old is this news?

less moving parts = lower chance of failure or breakage
no explosives storage
more accurate
lower cost per shot

What metal would not shatter, on impact, at the high Mach number speeds (nor melt from the air resistance friction)?

>a dense metal
What ones are denser than uranium and economical enough to use?

Are you asking critcally or genuinely curious? I dont know. Probably a titanium tungsten alloy would do the trick. But like i said its only a concept

Could a ship deploy a trillion Tera Joule electromagnet to defeat the rail gun projectile?