Starship Troopers thread

Just watched this for the first time in almost a decade. Lets talk about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-X1aM-OStCQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's highly entertaining, but totally ridiculous

Boy I'm sure excited for the remake.

BUENOS AIRES WAS A FALSE FLAG, OPEN YOUR EYES CIVILIANS, MAKE THE FEDERATION GREAT AGAIN

Shit there's a remake coming?

Multiculturalism and Gender Equality done the right way

underrated kino

>It'll Be a Fascist Update Perfect for a Trump Presidency

should watch this and robocop back to back

Denise Richards

Big Boobs

This is without a doubt true.

How exactly did the bugs manage to knock an asteroid out of orbit of Klendathu and have it hit Buenos Aires any time in the next million years, let alone like two weeks later?

Very impressive, bugs.

Dennis Richards aka pancaked sloot taking that Fleet sausage while MI does the dieing
Meanwhile based bro with benefits and the best tits in the movie Dizzy Flores dies like a fucking hero and nobody cares

iow,, a paul verhoven film

1> 4 > 2 >>>>>>>>>although 2 would have been so much better with clancy brown in the lead role as originally planned

Bugs designs hold up really well. If he ever decided to make meta popcorn flicks with a great look, he will give James Cameron and Lucas a shot in the gut in the effects department.

>when your girlfriend outranks you by at least ten ranks

She was a Captain while Rico was just a grunt.

by the last film hes a Montgomery / Patton level respected general and shes still a captain
>lol

it's heavily implied that they used magic

>implying the other Starship Troopers films are canon

they barely even exist

Biological hyperdrive.

but didnt the bugs do it a millions years ago??
i thought that was the point?

also i so wanted one of the sequels to do an earth invasion

two wasnt that bad 6/10 maybe 7
and the last one was awsome

The point was that the Federation were lying about most of their shit so that their facist society had something to justify its stringent controls.

It's a satire of authoritarian militarism, not a sincere action film.

nice, do you have one for citizens ?

I get to watch this in a theater this friday night, and this time without that stupid fucking mystery science theater garbage voiceover. Couldn't be more pumped, the only other time I saw it in theaters minus shitty voiceover was when it came out and I was 7.

>I get to watch this in a theater this friday night, and this time without that stupid fucking mystery science theater garbage voiceover.

What voice-over? I have literally never seen it with a voice-over except in the 'Would You Like To Know More' scenes, and those are some of the best scenes in the film.

i fapped to the part where the bald headed chick moons rico's webcam

>that scene where men a women shower together

Wait, was it the first movie or the sequel.

First. Could have happened in the second as well, but I've never seen it.

he means some other "funny" commentator commenting throughout the whole thing, like mystery science theater of svengoolie

He finishes the film a 1st lieutenant, so she doesn't out rank him by much.

They were both outranked by Major turned Colonel Carl Jenkins

THIS.

Yeah, that's where either (a) you're wrong, or (b) the filmmakers dun goofed. Because NOBODY sees the satire; but EVERYBODY sees the fun action.

Dizzy's tits were awful dude please don't even kid yourself.

Carmen was a grade A cunt but she was bangin.

ahhhh come on user you would HAVE to be a literal retard if you didnt get the "more meat for the grinder" scene
or captain 'i got no legz' ... welcome to the mobile infantry son

oooo sorry did i just make fun of your disability?

The satire is in your face with the whole citizen and civilian thing

Yeah, that's a good scene; but it's one scene. The adverts are also good satire; or were - it's reality now. But you know that it's really an action flick, not a satirical one - they use the satire to slip fascism past the plebs. At no point do the filmmakers show us the earth leadership lying to their citizens. Bugs are real, and no clue even suggested that they didn't do Buenos Aires.
Of course, it could be a double secret satire....

theater near me is playing this in a week
shit is gonna be so cash

>At no point do the filmmakers show us the earth leadership lying to their citizens. Bugs are real, and no clue even suggested that they didn't do Buenos Aires.

Except the idea of the bugs managing to aim an asteroid across that great a distance with pinpoint accuracy.

They don't blatantly reveal the Earth leadership lying to their citizens, but their propaganda videos are the ONLY information we have.

>they use the satire to slip fascism past the plebs
Verhoeven grew up in Nazi-occupied Germany, I doubt that he supports fascism.

That so many people think that it's a straightforward action film, honestly, shows that the film-makers understood propaganda perfectly. It even fools a lot of the audience.

first off i mentioned two scenes

and as far as i cant remember the stellar cast ads where obvious propaganda ( ie powers lying to the people)

as for the meteor its either a plot hole or the bugs knew about humans before sucking the brains out of the mormons or fascist conspiracy ... but whatever it doesnt really impact the film in any major way

Didn't the asteroid almost hit that girls spaceship while she was training in deep space? Though she had altered their course without anyone knowing, maybe the federation didn't think anyone would see it.

This.

It's also way more noticeable post 9/11.

kek
>Except the idea of the bugs managing to aim an asteroid across that great a distance with pinpoint accuracy
No, ftl works in the movie - no one questioned that the bugs could ftl too. Ftl is bullshit in real life only: if the movie supports it, we must.
>Verhoeven grew up in Nazi-occupied Germany, I doubt that he supports fascism.
Erm, user, I...I.......I just can't fix your naivete on that one, user - good luck. I-I'm just flabbergasted that you think every one who grew up nazi hates nazis..........like, wtf?!
>That so many people think that it's a straightforward action film, honestly, shows that the film-makers understood propaganda perfectly. It even fools a lot of the audience
Yeah, user - yer clearly stupid or trollin'....
You mentioned ONE scene, user: 'meatgrinder' was stated by 'legless' in ONE scene.

if you want support for that idea then film 3 literally has someone lying to the entire planet and show gestapo like intelligent squads so should false flag meteor why not

if you want be feel superior by "understanding" a film very few people get .. watch GATTACA pro hint: the genetically enhanced cop brother has a pool in his living room he was helping Jerome alone with almost every other person in the film

Okay, then - you best explain the satire to me, since you both got it and I didn't.

Reminder: Starship Troopers was NOT i repeat NOT RECOGNIZED AS SATIRE by critics and movie goers alike upon its release.

You may argue that the film is CLEARLY satire and people in the 90s could not be so STUPID to not see that but that is precisely what happened.

>You mentioned ONE scene, user: 'meatgrinder' was stated by 'legless' in ONE scene

shitty troll ... meatgrinder was to the mother about the baby
welcome to the mi was when they were assigned their positions

He is implying op is a shill.

not in europe ... blame thick yanks for being stupid
perhaps it the dumbing down of your society buy a series of governments ......... wait is that the most ironic thing ever?? yes i think it is

It's satirizing jingoism and the American readiness to leap headfirst into war

Watch the movie again, shitty troll. You will be unpleasantly surprised to find that I am in fact correct!

Probably my favorite movier, I can watch it over and over again. It really is a varied experience

I've always liked this movie, but I could never wrap my head around how Rico survived this scene

>Eurocucks being stupid and lying about history

She got there from sucking dick though.

So how are the other films? Clearly not as good as the original from what I hear, but are they watchable and satisfying?

A-are you sure? Or did you get cucked by a former hitler youth?

He was an enlisted man. Pilits start off as liutenants and are ussually promoted to captain by the time they have completed their training. Many officers defer to enlisted men based on experiance. An nco who makes officer might as well be a lt. Col in the airforce.

that it was the same scene ....
the guy with no legs hands out the assignment to reco then walks outside and has a chat with the mother ... and says what a cute baby ... yah ... more meat for the grinder ..... *shakes head* this board has gone to shit

They're not bad but nowhere near as good as the original. They even made an cgi animated one and it was surprisingly good.

>this board has gone to shit
Yes. Yes it has. You suck at this, scrub. Watch the movie again. Trust me.

Look man, if you can't understand subtext, sorry, I can't help you.

There's nothing political about it in the slightest. It's literally satirizing jingoism and American military spirit.

The power of screenwriting. Though how he was listed as KIA but was in some futuristic healing tank never made sense. I guess that's one more example of how little regard is given for the grunts survivability.

youtube.com/watch?v=-X1aM-OStCQ

fair enough i didnt remember it being in the first film ... i was thinking of the scene

then again it only strengthens my point that the obvious satire goes the entire film and beyond

>PG-13

this

Well if it's aiming to be a faithful adaptation of the book then there's nothing wrong with that.

Look man, you clearly still do not understand that the meaning of a thing is to be found in the audience....you finding a diatribe against american jingoism is YOUR interpretation; nowhere in the film is 'america' mentioned - not once! Not once! How can this be??
You got cucked by a born and bred nazi. He knew enuff to put just enuf 'satire' in his film to fool the feelgood lefties. All the while peddling fascism to the hungry masses.
You do know that every Trump supporter LOVES starship troopers, right? How could this be if it's a movie that goes against their ideals?? How could they support a movie that satirizes america?
If the filmmakers wanted to help create a world without fascism and war, I think they failed. Big time. Modern up and coming fascists (trump supporters) all love the movie, and consider it a fine documentary.

nah. I caught the implications when it came out in theaters, and I was 10.

there was a tv series on saturday mornings when I was in canada, but it sucked so I didn't watch it.

sheev did nothing wrong ... thats your argument?
if something is misunderstood by enough idiots then its the misunderstanding that is the true meaning ????

yeh in sucked balls
the 4th film IS cgi but animatrixs flight of the pheonix level and a really good story

just skip the 3rd one ...its tommy wiseau tier bad

Starship troopers was misunderstood? No, user - it was an action film, user. You have just bought into the filmmakers' bullshit. The novel was a satire; the movie most definitely is not, except on the most facile level. The filmmakers' used the idea of 'satire' to sell their movie; but there's only a tiny icing of satire on an otherwise 'ra! ra! kill 'em all!' film.
You want us to believe the film is a satire: but we can only judge a thing by its results, not its intentions. If the result is pro-fascism, then saying: "but they MEANT anti-fascism, yer just dumb!" doesn't mean much.

ok your troll level is pretty high but it rest on vaderhoven being secretly fascist .....
so is robocop secretly fascist??? is it anti corporate??? did vaderhoven start fascist change his mind for robocop then change back?

Oh, dear, you haven't seen Robocop? Lessee, corporate overlords create a machine to mindlessly enforce their laws upon the populace. This is sold to us, the audience, as a good thing. Are we not cheering at the end of the film? With the word 'Robocop' flashed across the screen? Sure, the filmmakers throw the audience a bone by having Murphy somehow regain his 'humanity'; but it's not a movie about Murphy - it's a movie about ROBOCOP.
And what's that droning noise I hear in the air?? Droning droning everywhere. Robocop is not going to look like a cool robot; it is a drone with a camera; and its time is now. Thanks to the early propaganda work by vaderhoeven.

>ywn kill bugs with Ace and Sugar

and the machine they create goes against their programing and ends up destroying his corporate creator... which is why the audience was cheering
If the result is anti-corporate, then saying: "but they MEANT pro-corporate, yer just dumb!"

and that would be check mate ;)

“It said in the article that the production team of that movie of the remake, that they would go back more and more towards the novel. And of course, we really, really tried to get away from the novel, because we felt that the novel was fascistic and militaristic,” said Verhoeven. “You feel that going back to the novel would fit very much in a Trump Presidency.”

-Verhoeven talking about the Starship Troopers remake

People often twist things to fit their political views. Verhoeven is clearly against fascism, but that doesn't stop actual fascists from enjoying the satirical portrayal of their ideology.
Same thing happened with Carpenter's They Live. Carpenter has stated multiple times that the film is a critique of capitalism, yet you see people who say it's about jews controlling the world and praise Carpenter as some kind of "redpilled hero"

There's no true meaning to a film. There is the filmmaker's intent and the audience's interpretation. The comedic and satiric elements in Starship Troopers, Total Recall and Robocop were quite obvious though. Starship Troopers might still be fun for a LARPing fascist, but he'd have to be a moron to think that Verhoeven is an undercover fascist himself.

Fuck, I meant Holland, not Germany. I'm tired, forgive me on that.

It's a satire of the novel it's based on which treats the utopian fascist society totally in earnest.

You have the trappings of American soap operas in the main characters; how insanely clean cut they are (and pearl-white for fucking Buenos Aires), their happy-go-lucky attitudes in response to pretty heinous stuff.

This is contrasted with imagery that becomes more and more blatantly fascist as the film goes on, culminating in the battalion resorting to the use of child soldiers and Doogie Howser M.D. in full SS garb pronouncing, while triumphant music swells, that the brain bug is afraid.

The action in the movie is pure Verhoeven; again, in contrast with the squeaky clean world of Buenos Aires at the start of the film, the soldiers find themselves outfought by an enemy that holds no empathy or pity. War is a gory, bloody place, and the attitude of the characters over that (for example, Dizzy's starry-eyed high-school drama proclamation of love while she's covered in her own blood and gore) creates a sense of absurdity.

Most importantly
>No, ftl works in the movie - no one questioned that the bugs could ftl too.
Precisely; no one within the film QUESTIONS the Federation. We are shown a fascist government through its own lens for the most part, while the violence, and continual information failures of the Federation suggest that it is nowhere near as put-together and well-informed as it appears.

Do you actually not understand what satire is?

robocop killed a man - he didn't destroy the ruling corporation: OCP still owns murphy at the end of the film, so.......

So they invaded bug territory because it took attention away from a fucked system ran by idiots right?

Do not understand propaganda?

itt: a bunch of kids who think they're smarter than the people who are manipulating them.
Good luck with that!

Dizzy's rack had a certain charm to it.

Verhoeven satirises propaganda, user. That's why his films are so gory. The effects of the systems that his films ostensibly propagandise for are never shown as particularly appealing or worthwhile.

Basically, but the ambiguity of what really happened with the asteroid that took out Buenos Aires is part of the satire. We, like the characters, never really know what happened; we're shunted around with the grunts, our only information of the wider world coming from propaganda clips.

And who is manipulating us?

And I think the first wave was deliberately setup to fail/result in high causalities from the get go. It was to enforce to the troops that the enemy was a bigger threat, when in reality it was poorly thought out tactics. About the only advantage bugs had was greater numbers and minimal tactical direction thanks to the brain bug.

>Verhoeven grew up in Nazi-occupied Germany, I doubt that he supports fascism.

He literally threw the book across the room in disgust and set out to make a satire because the source material argues with a straight face that the system depicted is objectively great.

And it argued that because Heinlein was a deeply conservative retard who believed civilians should shut the fuck up about everything and do whatever the government and military said.

I don't think it's entirely fair to judge Heinlein just on Starship Troopers. It was part of a series of works he wrote attempting to realise the utopian visions of disparate ideologies.

If you want some really weird shit, read Stranger in a Strange Land.

>And it argued that because Heinlein was a deeply conservative retard who believed civilians should shut the fuck up about everything and do whatever the government and military said.
Spoken like someone who's never read Heinlein.

>Gender Equality done the right way
>Stronk independent soldier gurls being anything but a massive drain on the military's effectiveness

fantasy land m8

>that 2nd spoilered gattaca text

What the fuck are you talking about?

>implying that's where Earth is located in the galaxy

DROPPED