Does this new wave of ""DIY"" indie artists like rex orange county, gus dapperton, clairo, boy pablo, etc...

does this new wave of ""DIY"" indie artists like rex orange county, gus dapperton, clairo, boy pablo, etc. prove that indie music is deader than dead or am i just getting to the age where i think all new trends in music are bad? (22)

Attached: DPw3XydXUAAkTcz.jpg-large-600x600.jpg (600x600, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QrVl7mgVSg0
youtube.com/watch?v=XHQZS2wYdlY&feature=youtu.be
rateyourmusic.com/~M4rcus
vocaroo.com/i/s1AItp3AI3hp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's deader than dead and irrelevant af. It's upper class parlor music

Attached: 75c46a776a0fd9a1e73dcb66e862b2a9.jpg (512x384, 68K)

It's almost like there's a concerted effort to make white music as lame as possible. Gus Dapperton, Clairo, Mac DeMarco, and all of those other popular """indie""" artists are dorky as fuck.

Ironic "aesthetic" has gotten to a point where it's FAR overtaken musical quality but most people don't seem to care because the majority of people into semi-underground indie are obsessed with ironic aesthetic as well.
It'll get worse before it gets better, I consider these clowns the xxxLilXanaxNigga420xxx of the indie world, but you've seen that in rap is continues getting worse well past the point where we all assumed people would get sick of it.

it's not weird or scary, i "get" the aesthetic these people are going for it just seems so contrived and disingenuous now

It's simply a small, rotting tumor blossoming on the breast of the youngest millennials and oldest gen Z'ers
It doesn't have the legs to carry it for more than a year or two. This is the indie scene's swan song, demonstrating to potential mates that it is sick, infertile, and laying itself down to rest

>Ironic "aesthetic" has gotten to a point
>indie music is deader than dead

Gus dapperton looks stupid but I think he is good. This song is catchy.

youtube.com/watch?v=QrVl7mgVSg0

I like it

Don't try to find excuses, just consolidate yourself with your future of listening to Louis Prima and complaining about everything new.

>tripfag thinking his opinion matters
you have to go back

Holy fucking moses, I couldn't make it through more than 30 seconds
>absolute ass guitar tone
>fucking unbearable guitar riff that sounds like something I'd riff on while bored out of my mind alone in my bedroom
>irritating "i'm so different" voice
>no interesting ideas or innovations at all
>garbage video made by art school fuck heads who think they're competent enough to pull off the whole awkward Napoleon Dynamite Wes Anderson thing

it's all just disposable trash people will forget about in 2-4 years

Indie was already bad. Don't worry about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=XHQZS2wYdlY&feature=youtu.be

It's about time "toxic irony" turns into a widespread term.

Attached: 1518024680061.jpg (540x720, 45K)

Ironically enough, corporate appropriation of meme culture and high-traffic meme pages looking to expedite the production of content have inadvertently caused a massive return to genuine, sincere, irony-free humor in internet culture. “Relatable” memes where the humor comes from an “I know that feeling!” reaction (e.g. the “when you’re _______” formula) are very simple to make and don’t require much in the way of comedic genius to conceive, making them the primary export of those profit-driven content producers. Kids are laughing at straight-up jokes again without being buried under four coats of post-irony.

It hasn't been a complete transformation but it's been a major dent in the post-ironic quagmire of cowardly filth

One of my bandmates has succumbed to this gangster popeye tumblrcore bullshit. Can hardly communicate with him anymore.
>watches david foster wallace lecture once
for real though fuck this shit

DFW was vehemently opposed to the post-ironic degradation of spirit in pop culture, though. That's why he pushed for New Sincerity so much

Yeah that's what I was saying.

As in me watching one david foster wallace lecture once and being tired of my friend's post-ironic bullshit.

in the white people scene, yes.

Rex is actually really good

Ahh, gotcha
I'm sorry for your loss, user. But he isn't beyond saving. Most people come to realize that you actually need to care about something and stand behind your beliefs sincerely at some point

Yeah, I'm thinking it's that time of the week again

Attached: 1481056812522.jpg (2048x1152, 536K)

Attached: 1481058510445.png (1362x765, 2.19M)

Attached: 1481064015219.png (1362x765, 2.21M)

What makes a good guitar tone?

Attached: 1481064971737.png (1361x764, 2.2M)

Attached: 1481065229559.png (684x738, 827K)

it's really sad how true this shit is

Why does everyone in the car have the same haircut

never heard of louis prima, and im not complaining about everything new, i listen to a lot of new music. just that i'm having a hard time telling whether this new wave of indie artists are actual as horrible as they seem or if i'm just growing out of the age where "trendy indie music" appeals to me (something i acknowledged in my op)

when you promote individualism by having everyone in the car be exactly like you

ISN'T IT WEIRD
ISN'T IT FUNNY
HAHA WE JUST DO STUFF LIKE THIS
WE DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT IT, IT'S JUST LIKE THIS UNSPOKEN THING BECAUSE WE'RE SO FUCKING COOL
OUR PARENTS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND LMAO

Ironic humour isn't bad. The "lol i want to kms" humour is fucking dog shit and needs die off.

It's in reference to the kind of person who completely envelopes themselves in post-irony because no one can hurt you if you aren't showing your sincere self.

The endless, ambiguous, dishonest, lazy nature of post-ironic living is the issue. Not ironic humor in and of itself

this rings true to me

i went through a mild period of depression in the past (doing nothing all day, constant thoughts of worthlessness, crying all the time) and it was awful. near the end of it, i met a girl who said she was really depressed and wanted to die, despite going to parties, having friends, actually enjoying life and doing well at it too, she was just using it as a fashion statement. she continues to use it as a fashion statement to be "lol so quirky" and it bothers me, but we're still friends.

why do we crave attention so much?

oh I only really like it cuz it's awful
they're a guilty pleasure showing that you care is unlawful
don't worry man im legit it's all ironic
that one thing that I hate it's so iconic
dont worry bout your following, they're all ironic
tell it through your mask that I'm so iconic
we say you're not a blunder, but we're all ironic
nobody to keep you remembered you're not iconic

I don't know if I've got depression. I sliced my arm really bad the other day and had to go to hospital I spend most days indoors doing nothing.
I still don't think medicine or talking about it is really gonna help, I think I'd just be happier if I found something useful to do with myself and learned how to recognize and diffuse moments when I go off the rails and do stupid shit.
Maybe a diagnosis would help, I just don't want my family to know, I don't live with them at the moment. Maybe I should go to /r9k/ or /adv/ with this but those places are just horrible pits of self loathing and hate.

>Maybe I should go to /r9k/ or /adv/ with this
DON'T DO THAT

im pretty much in the same position as you. i know a girl who socializes every day, goes on road trips and stuff with friends all the time, gets 100 likes on every facebook post etc. who says that she's depressed and doesn't have any friends because it's cool and trendy and quirky.
i can't imagine what these types of people would do if they were actually depressed and didn't have any friends

honestly one thing that really helped me was having stuff to do, just putting myself on responsibilities. i have a big fear of failure, so i tried to pile things for me to do for *others*, so i was always doing something. i forced myself to go through it, put myself out there, forcibly talk to people. it helped me, i don't know if it would work you but it could.
a diagnosis would probably be effective, as in to actually know your target and what you have to do to get over it, being advised by a professional. anti-depressants can work too, but they acted more of a crutch to me. besides they can be expensive, so i wouldn't recommend them unless you REALLY need it.

best advice i can give would be just to get a professional, really.

I knew a girl who pulled the whole depression accessory shit for years, who ended up actually going through her first depressive phase and it really fucked her up. She deleted social media, stopped seeing most of her friends or going outside, stopped eating, she really took it hard. She's doing better now but I haven't seen her do any fake-depression acting ever since. I think she understands what it means now.

Really appreciate the advice, once my arm heals up I'm gonna look into sorting that out. The main two things I need to sort out are just the day to day apathy, so yeah I think trying to take on some responsibilities would help with that and then learning to recognize and diffuse moments when I get properly self destructive, learn things that trigger them and just learn to deal with them and understand why they do that. I guess a professional would be much better at guiding me through that than just me on my own. Thanks user.

Ridiculous. Irony hasn't run its course, any more than Greek tragedy has run its course. Elements of both of these art forms will exist forever. These movements never really die.

We all ought to love one another. Dammit, I don't really know why that follows from what I was just saying, but we can solve this problem.

I think we've realized we can turn really any stupid shit into a meme. So we just have to work out what will make people happy, and turn that into a meme, and it will be as easy as "dat boi".

Attached: lego jesus.jpg (1920x1080, 112K)

like this? rateyourmusic.com/~M4rcus

Attached: 6041816.jpg (682x611, 236K)

>Irony hasn't run its course, any more than Greek tragedy has run its course. Elements of both of these art forms will exist forever. These movements never really die.
I think this probably sounded a lot more insightful in your head

WOW
WOOOOW
HOLY FUCK MAN THIS IS LIKE A HOT SHOT BETWEEN THE TOES

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression. It sucks when people act like its a fashion accessory. Like those "I have mental illness XD" memes on facebook.

i think everyone has had it with the ironic shit. When will true sincerity in music rise?

Me and the boys are trying but it's not catching on but I think it's just cause we're not very good yet.

post counter arguments my friend

this isn't "irony" it's just tricking people into thinking you are cool

Attached: petmd-cat-happy-13.jpg (670x440, 258K)

this is really cliche internet advice at this point but working out and eating healthy helps out soo much with mental health issues
also have some sort of hobby like music production or learning an instrument, something you can work on and slowly get better at over time instead of just watching yt videos or playing video games will make you feel better about yourself
and like the other guy said seeing a professional will help

>metamodernism
tbf it seems like the more long term solution than new sincerity

>this isn't "irony" it's just tricking people into thinking you are cool
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????what did he mean by this???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

you're a fucking retard

I honestly want to start incorporating the ideas of metamodernism into my music, just out of pure reaction to this current "a e s t h e t i c" nightmare. I already kinda buy into the philisohpy of purposeful contradiction and juxtaposition in order to create something entirely new, so I'm hoping to be able to incorporate it into my music/lyrics even more than I already have

Attached: IMG_7508.jpg (500x398, 83K)

seriously kill yourself you fat pig

nobody likes that trash except Sup Forums

I'm trying to do the exact same thing, actually. Maybe we'll start a movement

same

honestly more than anything the thing that bothers me the most about the whole indie thing going on right is just the fact that no one actually cares about anything. everyone is shrouded under irony and therefore doesn't have to actually express their own beliefs and feelings when they just can just say things as a joke or under the veneer of pretending to care. I want to try and inject more emotion, criticism, and just general oomph into my music instead of just stripping away all dynamic and nuance like most of these people have done

Attached: IMG_7467.jpg (1755x1000, 213K)

I was thinking, literally all of taylor swift's album covers have her face on them. I kind of want to start a movement where everyone puts taylor swift's face on their album covers

I care about one thing only. taylor swift

Attached: Screenshot 2018-03-18 at 1.41.41 PM.png (1366x768, 1.27M)

yea people are afraid of being genuine so they drown everything they do in irony
im hoping the music of the 2020s is more sincere as a reaction to all the irony shit going on now, like how punk was a reaction to overproduced prog rock

every single one of bowies albums has his face
except the last one .....:(

dw about will toledo the indie prince will save indie i swear

here's a song I wrote- hope this conveys what I am trying to say about authenticity? I think people understand I just want to see if we are all on the same page
vocaroo.com/i/s1AItp3AI3hp

one thing I wanna try is finding ways to fuse maximalism and minimalism in meaningful ways, as right now it's only possible to do either or; maximalism was the way of the modernists, and minimalism was the way of the postmodernists. I think finding a way to juxtapose the two and make something new out of it is the way to go

Attached: IMG_7555.jpg (400x400, 28K)

good riddance

I think the real issue at the core of the post-ironic conundrum is two-fold. Firstly, as another user has pointed out, the veil of ambiguity is really enticing to many young people as a way to avoid the vulnerability of being a sincere person. I have to wonder if this is primarily a reaction to the increasing frequency of "call-outs" among the youth of modern America, where even a relatively mild political or social view expressed genuinely can result in massive backlash and demonization at the drop of a hat. The less of a genuine "core" there is to you, the more people can simply project their sociopolitical beliefs into yerrgghh..... yechhrg.... w-woah... sorry about that, partner... my stomach is feeling a little choppy here, I lost my train of thought...right right, it allows any viewer assume they already agree on all the same points, until evidence is provided otherwise. So frooOOoh... th-that w- oeuughff... wow... I must have really eaten something sinister, this is... this is a rough one... feels like high tide at the Bay of Biscay down therr-err-echhoohhh.... alright, h-hold that thought, partner... I'm gonna hit the toilet real quick, it feels like trouble's a-brewin' down on the southern front... just gottaahh-h w-wow... just gotta get my bearings straight here... mother have mercy, I'm sweating like swine in summer... just need to relax a bit... o-ohh… easy does it… let’s just focus on making way to the commode… oh, I’m burning, I’m burning up… could have been that chicken parmesan last night… the guy at the deli seemed a bit too eager to sell me that breast… just need to get a cold pack or something… h-hoo… oh nelly, that’s pungent… that’s a chewy one, no doubt…. nearly there… just need to fend off the flood for a few more moments… e-easy… easieehh-h… close call… oh I’m drenched… on the anniversary of the Stamp Act's repeal, too… why today of all days...

I'm going full-out guns-blazing maximalist on my shit. No limitations on genre or instruments or composition. Complete visceral release is my end-goal

hahahaahahaa what the fuck man. didn't realize you were shitting I was hoping you were experiencing some kind of intellectual turmoil. shut the fuck up that's disgusting

I mean. Not everyone is the same, I've been diagnosed by a doctor with depression before. I used to take meds for it, and it didn't really go well for me. Since I've grown, I still find it hard sometimes to go out, I feel like I should surround myself with people, so I put on a facade that everything is ok, despite it not being ok. I don't joke about killing myself in an "ironic" way. If something goes bad that is a minor inconvenience and gets in way of something that can be fixed, I'll say " I want to kill myself." Without actually wanting to do it, you know, just like everybody else. I have actually attempted suicide before, it's not fun, and there isn't anything trendy or cool about it. I get sad at times, I think that I'm worthless, and I'm not going anywhere. I used to think that it would get better with age, but now that I'm 23, I don't think it will. Despite all that I try, I try and I try to go through the day, I go through the day with a fake smile because if I just moop around all day I really don't want to bring down the mood of my staff, or at home. I think it's selfish to do so, and I will get fired for it if I just act like a depressed asshole the entire time, and I need the job in order not to go insane, it's the only thing that keeps me going, and hopefully, one day, I'll be ok. These facebook "memes" ab killing themselves don't bother me too much, because I mean, out of those pile of trendy fags its gotta have one guy that ACTUALLY has a problem, and if I were to just go "durr you guys don't actually have depression when you post that shit lol you don't know what it's like lol fags get a job and stop being attention whores lol" then I bet one person maybe just ONE person that is really going through a hard time and actually has a problem will do something to harm him/herself. Maybe he ACTUALLY gets a laugh out of those and ACTUALLY has depression, and it ACTUALLY helps him. in the end if you care what ppl do you're a loser tbqh

Attached: 1520915090121.gif (480x480, 715K)

THE most chad post I have ever read on this website

Attached: 1509407446549.jpg (2941x3000, 1.31M)

Depression isn't real.

>question marks
If everybody knows you hate yourself and you see a meme and you say "that's dank but it does nothing against my crippling self loathing ahahahahaha" that's not irony. that's literally just sincerity. It's literally a fact, and you know it.

Irony is something different.

Attached: rick sanchez.jpg (320x240, 22K)

>whining about guitar tone outside of /guitar/ general
>cant into melodic minimalism
>self professed neon dypolian scholar
if only you actually understood irony

>if only you actually understood irony
>implying that irony is something that's both difficult to understand and actually worthwhile

Attached: IMG_7453.png (383x480, 222K)

>irony is easy to understand
what do you think irony is?

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic, don't you think
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought, it figures
Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well, isn't this nice."
And isn't it ironic, l don't you think
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought, it figures

if irony was so difficult to understand then why are phillistine teenagers already working their way up to multiple layers of irony?

there's nothing difficult about understanding the concept of "something being the opposite of what you expect" which by the way is no longer the predominant definition of irony in modern society, where it's just now used as a glorified synonym for sarcastic

Irony is the lowest form of wit.

ironically that song fails to describe what irony is

no it isn't

It's only ironic if you accept that it's ironic in the first place

as a 13 year old i can confirm music is dead. I wish we could go back to the 90s where real indie existed like pavement and the elephant 6. I truly was born in the wrong generation.

have you ever wondered what itd be like to purse your lips real hard and try to push poop out so you can know what its like for your bottom when you poop?

see

I absolutely hate anyone that posts shit like this

Attached: 1521323621545.jpg (1242x1219, 1.09M)

>why are phillistine teenagers already working their way up to multiple layers of irony?
They aren't. They are claiming to, ironically. Irony is when there's an ingroup who understands the real meaning of a phrase, and an outgroup that does not. You are the outgroup in this case.

>glorified synonym for sarcastic
Irony is not sarcasm. With sarcasm, I want everyone to understand my meaning. With irony, I want some people to understand, and some not to understand.

If there really were, say, 6 groups of people, each deriving a different meaning from what was said, I guess there would be 5 or 6 layers of irony. But look at pic related. Are there 5 or 6 different meanings? No. There's maybe 2.
1. "I percieve many, infinite layers of irony because I'm a dumbass"
2. "I percieve just nonsense. There is no irony here."
And there really will be a group of people who see the first meaning, and a group of people who see the second. This is a single layer of irony. A third group of people will notice this single layer of irony.
3. "I percieve a single layer of irony".
There really will be three groups of people, each of whom percieve a different quantity of irony. This means there are two layers of irony under the nonsensical surface. A fourth group of people will notice this.
4. "I percieve two layers of irony".
And there really will be four groups of people, each percieving a different quantity of irony, once this is noticed. A fifth group of people, upon noticing this, will become the fifth group. A sixth group of people will become the sixth group upon noticing the existence of the first five. And so on and so on, ad infinitum.
Thus, the people who stupidly percieved an infinite number of layers of irony at the very beginning were absolutely correct. Under the surface is an infinite number of layers. Truly a transcendent moment- I'll remember it for the rest of my life.

Teens see this, and want to replicate it, but it's very difficult to do. Hope this helps.

Attached: faf.png (600x600, 516K)

thanks for reminding me of the unfunniest image on earth

>Irony is when there's an ingroup who understands the real meaning of a phrase, and an outgroup that does not.
Cool, thanks for letting me know you have no idea what you're talking about right at the start of the post so I don't have to waste my time reading the rest

what the fuck are you talking about pseud

Attached: IMG_7575.jpg (750x1162, 158K)

[2]

There's two definitions of irony, my friend. The one in popular use today requires the concept of a double audience.

Attached: Screenshot 2018-03-18 at 2.54.48 PM.png (1162x217, 76K)

wow nice job trying to apply a 90 year old source to the way that irony is used in the modern day internet

Attached: IMG_7576.jpg (750x804, 134K)

>implying 90 years ago they didn't have memes

Attached: tumblr_ovbl5olFcJ1tcqhjho3_1280.png (572x489, 243K)

Attached: tumblr_oze3fgdx3K1tcqhjho1_1280.png (574x560, 253K)

Indie is dead af. The only rock scenes where interesting things are happening still are metal, punk, and really experimental underground shit.