"fucking loathes" Tortoise and Godspeed You! Black Emperor

>"fucking loathes" Tortoise and Godspeed You! Black Emperor
>"Lift Your Skinny Fists is the most basic shit ever, like yeah let's do a fucking marching endless crescendo... ugh God there's just no fucking thought to that music it's the most fucking banal shit ever. And then you go and wrap it up in like pseudo-political 'food not bombs' bullshit? Like get that fucking crap out of my music. I just wanna fucking look at dead trees, okay? Like, I'm all set. I'm pretty sure you don't have the world figured out."

>Explosions in the Sky - "represents the mainstream peak of post-rock"

youtu.be/UnTj9v8gkws

Attached: Chris Ott.png (734x450, 738K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5j1bp5ebFXE
dropbox.com/s/ht437b8kfrjyzpt/mbvbb.mp3?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=M3vJd2YfZ5A&list=PLWy9oAfA79cZEj59Wbq3awhsNOyQUmDTO
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You know he's right though

that rant was fucking savage

Hates BSS and GYBE, what he really means is that he hates Canada

> I just wanna fucking look at dead trees, okay?

Attached: giggle.jpg (570x692, 124K)

This actually looks better in text than it did listening to the video.

>And then you go and wrap it up in like pseudo-political 'food not bombs' bullshit? Like get that fucking crap out of my music.
considering that Efrim was a homeless starving drug addict since 17 years old i don't see anything wrong with that. he's clearly passionate about these things.
also calling gybe "basic" when the very first artist on his spotify playlist makes really fucking lame shit likes this youtu.be/5j1bp5ebFXE is just bizarre

Godspeed have got to be the most first world problems band that i could think of outside of Tool

Actually a very critical point Sup Forums had made about LYSF is how that album had dominated and destroyed the entirety of the post-rock genre for them, because it's assumably so perfect that everything else is just a waste of time. This is why used to have the militant terms like "pleb" to direct at people

I honestly don't understand why anyone gives a shit about this guy, or gives his opinion any weight at all.

>Explosions in the Sky - "represents the mainstream peak of post-rock"
wouldn't this be sigur ros?

Niggers tounge my anus

>Under the Table and Dreaming is one of the best records of the 1990s and Crash wasn't bad either. They deserved everything they got, I think they handled their fame in a very interesting, music-first way and never crossed over into the grotesque cycle of self-worship that say Green Day and Pearl Jam gave into in the later years of their careers. He/they seemed to have the "enough" gene, which is usually absent in ambitious people.

Attached: Dave Matthews Band.jpg (1920x1080, 458K)

He's right about GY!BE. But Explosions is the sky is one of the most boring bands I've ever listened to.m

and Tortoise are great

Neither does he.

Attached: 1521305695118.png (811x155, 27K)

yeah he actually isn't super clear as a vlogger, I sometimes turn on subtitles. His career is in written reviews after all...

Explosions in the Sky is nothing but crescendos. At least GYBE have more interesting timbres usually.

> not taking responsibility for his shitty opinions

whattadouche

this

>>Explosions in the Sky - "represents the mainstream peak of post-rock"

which is just blander crescendocore
what about fucking sigur ros

A big bag of shit

he's Sup Forumss elder statesman. he's not always right but I like the historical context he brings to everything

I think you just mistake bloviating for meaningful historical context.

>people in this thread thinking he implied EITS are good
he didn’t make a value judgement. he said absolutely nothing about the quality of their music.
also Godspeed are tremendously overrated calm your shit.

Yes and I tell her: that was fucking hair metal funk metal bullshit. fuck that band fuck green river, mother love bone, that shit was fuckin lame when it came out. none of us liked those bands. those were fuckin funk metal jam bands. anybody who’s trying to tell you that those bands were like you know proto grunge get the fuck out of here. those were fuckin hair metal bands who didn’t have enough money to move to la. they’re fucking like high fiving each other on the cover, like are you kidding me this was like the ultimate fuckin bro shit stoner fuckin lame ass jam band battle of the bands music smith fuckin stratocaster velvet fucking top hat fuckin scarf wearing paisley bullshit ever. man did i fuckin hate that band. ugh.

I like Chris's video content but his interactions with people on here and reddit make him seem like an incredibly fragile person who wraps his deep-seated insecurities between layers of sarcasm and pseudo-apathy

He's just a normal person not some untouchable critic. Even if you disagree with what he says atleast he has years of experience and passion to back up his claims.

Sup Forums absolutely BTFO
>m-muh crescendocore

Holy shit hes /ourguy/

people always say this and i think its prob true to a degree but I also think there are only so many ways you can respond to people who are saying that you're "full or yourself/dont know jack shit" and not seem defensive or come off as trying too hard to not care

baste

its funny, i remember him calling out fantano years ago for doing basically the same thing

Are you sure that you want to listen to rock music?

I don't even want to know who this is, I would like to discuss GY!BE. I've listened to F# A# ∞ and I was disappointed like almost never before. All three songs are harmonically simple and in single key (The Dead Flag Blues - A# minor, East Hastings - A# Aeolian, Providence - Bb minor), in 4/4 time and 120-215 beats per minute progressions throughout songs, although with decent amount of timbre variation. Sadly, not even chromatic passing tones are used and there isn't an improvisational space. I didn't expect such a critically acclaimed band's work to be as simple to analyze. Are their other albums similar in atmosphere? Because that's the only thing they seem to have going for them.

>Are you sure that you want to listen to rock music?
I am, because post rock is supposedly the continuation of progressive rock. It's just that I keep getting underwhelmed or disappointed. You shouldn't have replied so quickly, because I've had some formatting errors.

/ourguy/, basic Sup Forums bitches everywhere BTFO

Melvins > The Cure

are you guys yuros? explosions in the sky was without a doubt the preeminent post rock band of the late 2000s in burger land. even normies knew explosions

> says fuck a lot
Edgy

>because post rock is supposedly the continuation of progressive rock
I have no idea why would you assume that. Post-rock is barely a genre in the first place. Barely any popular/acclaimed "post-rock" acts call themselves that.

Lel dropbox.com/s/ht437b8kfrjyzpt/mbvbb.mp3?dl=0 there are no answers don’t worry have fun

>makes a 26 minute featurette on Post-Rock bands
>doesn't mentioned Sigur Ros once, a band he even reviewed for Pitchfork

hurr

Eh, it feels like of the soundtracks from 2000-2005 featured something by Sigur Ros

True IMO

Also next vid will be about Prichard D Jams and I will hold the smojohace EP in my leathery old hands 4 u

I don't want to discuss genre definitions, I would like recommendations based on

Sigur Ros is so much better in every way than any generic crescndocore post-rock. The post-rock tag kind of makes sense, but they really should just be in their own genre.

chriss have you been day drinking again?

>they really should just be in their own genre.
Fucking gaycore.

They headlined NOS Primavera a couple of years ago and drew the fucking hugest audience. I was like 'fuck this I'm off to see Unsane and Shellac'.

the point of his videos is to introduce you to good music that doesn't get the same attention as the big acts like sigur ros.

If you liked their atmosphere but disliked how basic the music is you should probably listen to Univers Zéro. GY!BE took heavy influence from them in that department. It's """avant-prog""" not """post-rock""", tho.
youtube.com/watch?v=M3vJd2YfZ5A&list=PLWy9oAfA79cZEj59Wbq3awhsNOyQUmDTO

Listen to Dirty Three instead

>Punk who likes sonic garbage doesn't like beautiful well written extensively arranged music
Well, yeah. Just so you know, that doesn't make you cool or hard, it's just a product of your low musical acumen.

Thank you. I wasn't impressed with the atmosphere either, but I've heard good things about Univers Zéro.

LYSFLATH has slightly better composition than F#A#, but you're still better off just listening to those other two bands instead.

uh oh

Attached: bleepfags.png (1588x1099, 153K)

>I will hold the smojohace EP in my leathery old hands 4 u
can i lick 'em?

>shat on Pram
haha finally
fucking garbage band

Fucking savage

Dude adamant and stubborn opinions lmao

he's honestly right especially when it comes to tortoise

I really dont get this guy. I like his content, sometimes he says actually interesting stuff, but I dont get why is he a thing and his bitchy tone.

>June of 44's music just sucked it was fucking boring as shit. It had no emotional character whatsoever. It's just the most dead, lifeless fucking, procedural dogshit, man. Fuck, I hated that band.

LITERALLY /OURGUY/

Why should i care for this dude opinion?
is this he a poors man Fantino or something?

Attached: 151579766921.jpg (419x420, 32K)

listen to Tortoise then

>Why should i care for this dude opinion?
You shouldn't.

He fails to support any of his assertions. Already hashed this out with another user last thread.

>Pram, jesus christ. Absolutely fucking puerile art rock bullshit, liberal arts fucking jackoffs. Embarrassing.
ahahahahAHAHAABHA

no he's not

people mistake gasbag cynicism for insight

>>Explosions in the Sky - "represents the mainstream peak of post-rock"
He's right you know. Name another band that blew up in that genre to that height after them.

>Long Fin Killie... just.. ugh. I lived through some of the worst fucking music ever fucking recorded

>Duster. Pretty good.
Our guy

He hates Swans even more. He single-handedly blew the fuck out the of Sup Forumscore drones

you prove nothing

See I think the problem with youtube in general is that popularity has more to do with charismatic delivery than actual content. Brainlets see someone getting all articulately pissy about something and they assume it's a rock solid argument even if nothing of substance has actually been said. All the shit that people are quoting ITT literally just boil down to "I don't like this band". But he never makes any actual substantive criticism.

>thinks Unwound's worst record is LTIY

absolutely fucking based holy shit

Attached: 1511038125083.png (1280x720, 1.73M)

>He hates Swans even more. He single-handedly blew the fuck out the of Sup Forumscore drones
swansisn't a mucore thing you fucking youngfag retard. They;ve been around making music since 1982.

>this is how theoryfags listen to music

yeah no shit
they have a wikipedia page dumbo
they're still garbage Sup Forumscore, especially soundtracks

where does he even mention unwound? I've only seen that he hates them.
I think half of this shit's actually anons making stuff up for (you)s, or I really just dozed though his video.

>hates Bark Psychosis
Is there any post-rock band this man likes aside from Bedhead?

he mentions unwound and ltiy in another video

it's from an AMA

Attached: btfo.png (1488x347, 31K)

Ott's take-down of Swans is one of the most savage and succinct of any I've seen. just incredible.

>I hate Swans. I always have. That guy is a complete fucking waste. Just a total fucking waste of life as an opportunity to accomplish anything.

>GG Allin had the balls to actually play with his own shit; Gira subjected his audience to the aural equivalent.

>Bedhead
>post-rock
What das fuck.

I officially love this man now.

did you even watch the video

Holy shit I thought this was a made up pasta.
How can drones ever recover

Attached: BTFO2.png (1444x408, 44K)

go to bed ott you're a old ass man on Sup Forums.

None of these are actual critiques. How the fuck is that a "take-down"? There's zero substance here.

>feel good lost is better than you forgot it in people
Really? Feel good lost was a middling imitation at best. You forgot it in people was an actual seminal album in terms of sound for indie rock and pop in 00s.

Reminds me of scaruffi 1 liners. No wonder they removed his articles from the net. Dude has continuous meltdowns on a daily basis.

>implying there is any substance to Swans to even merit being critiqued

>I have never liked anything that guy did back to Red House Painters, who I thought were a 4AD album cover with nothing inside.

>I have no sympathy for him, and none of his social miscues can be cast as "refreshingly un-PC" or "sticking it to wusses." He's just an absolute bore and I've never understood how anyone could like any of his music. I think I liked his cover of a Modest Mouse song at one point, and I hate Modest Mouse, so that was strange. But yeah, just a complete nothing to me. A pretty voice, nowhere to point it.

>People are telling you about the fucking Flaming Lips? About The Soft Bulletin? Get the fuck out of here, spend your time on something a hundred times more emotionally honest and musically inventive.

nobody can stop him

Meant for

Christgau has the best witty and incisive critiques. Some of it is really memorable even if you don't care about the music he's talking about at all. He's sometimes way off base but he does at least address the music. It's not just retarded name-calling.

>view top rated albums of the time
>claim you dislike them
WOW so hard a job he has.

>should we care about musicians' political beliefs?

>No, and they should not advertise them. "Get your politics out of my music" was a pretty loud rallying cry at one point. I literally do not care what you think, I care what you bring to a medium that's historically brought me joy.
>And it should be noted that most of the people who end up playing music are not exactly top-tier scholars. The pretensions of post-punk acts like Gang of Four and the Pop Group, which were slop by the way, were always hilarious to me, then I got to a place in around 2002-2003 where all these people were talking about them like they were Hard Art and I was just like...it doesn't take a genius to come up with a slogan.