Anyone else here think the Beach Boys were better than the Beatles?

Anyone else here think the Beach Boys were better than the Beatles?

Attached: EE15A3C7-28D9-4DA8-BF2D-FFE035B886B8.jpg (1920x1536, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Only_Knows
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

at least the Beatles could write their own lyrics

that music is like 300 years old dude

Probably. Not me though

Beach boys are a 7/10 band, while the Beatles are GOAT

THE

Any actual musician knows this as fact.

Not true by the way

I legitimately think the Beach Boys' discography >>>> Beatles discography

Sure, the Beach Boys don't have as cohesive albums, Pet Sounds and Smile aside. But they have the Beatles beat in terms of sheer quantity of good material and stylistic variety. They had one of the most interesting runs of any band from about 1962 to 1977.

better peak with pet sounds and smile, but nobody in their right mind would say they have a better overall discography.

Led Zeppelin were better than both desu

This. I didn't realise the Beach Boys were so amazing until I started learning their songs. The way Brian Wilson made such wild compositions sound so innocuous and pleasant is beyond me.

Uh no. Beach Boys made phenomenal arrangements and composition but The Beatles win over in song writing almost every time. They were far more varied in their sound. Vocally? Beach Boys destroy the Beatles but overall? No. I say this as a huge Beach Boys fan too.

would you mind giving an example of this

All of Smile. That album is ridiculously dense but manages to be amazingly calm at times and cery easy on the ears

i mean like an example of the composition being weird but sounding natural, i am just curious about what you mean

Beatles - True Sup Forums Patricians choice

Beach Boys - Reddit Low T choice

search your hearts, you know it to be true

I grew up with them more than the beatles, no-one in my family dug the beatles

Attached: b49e00f942fc6d09720bf0d113d1c094.jpg (441x523, 45K)

God Only Knows (just comes to mind because I was playing it this morning) uses this this A#m7b5 chord that sounds horrendous in general, but somehow in that song it fits in just perfectly. A lot of BB songs use notes and chords that leave the song's key (or just change key altogether), if only for a single line.

This.
/thread

Bass line in God Only Knows is in a different key from the rest of the song, although the song itself can br interpreted to be played in many different keys.

grateful dead > all that other shit

Attached: early 70.jpg (750x871, 90K)

Which band had better bass lines?

Yes, soyboys.

Beach Boys for sure.

i wonder if that's why that song sounds ominous to me

Any tracks in particular? Not overly familiar with their body of work but I love some good bass playing.

I wonder if it was by design or ignorance.

can you explain this to someone who doesn't know anything about music theory or writing music in general? genuinely curious to learn

Pretty much anything on Smile, Shutdown Volume 2. This is of course just my opinion but I love the Beach Boys fatter, rounded out bouncing bass lines.

It gives a bit of underlying anxiety to the song.

It was by design. The song is so ambiguous and uncertain, the bass line being "out of key" really solidifies the story and theme of the song.

Are you serious?

From my perspective a scale , C Major for example has seven notes, each note A, B, C ,D ,E ,F ,G has a corresponding chord. A minor, B diminished, C major, D minor, E minor, F major , G major

If we made a song in C major with three chords , A minor , D minor, G maj

if the bass player plays the C major scale , the same scale as the song they will be playing the scale notes of the chords too at some point, hopefully.

But! if the bass player played Bb Major scale over our C major song it's gonna be fucked.

you dig.

Attached: evans-0226346d0fbb14857978305dfc1d3ce8967e3fb4-s6-c30.jpg (948x711, 35K)

I don't take the piss very often.

you should drink more water Ivan

fuckin geek'd

>God Only Knows
>ambiguous and uncertain
u wot? The lyrics sound pretty certain and uniguous to me.

Exactly, that's the point. The bass line makes you subconsciously aware that there's an anxiety that underlies a stable demeanor.

The problem is 90% of Beatles output was incredible, 90% of Beach Boys output was awful. Pet Sounds is their only really great album. Surf's Up and Smile are good but not on the level of Beatles.

SMiLE is their best

Attached: b72b456aa1128556f776c22884c414ac.jpg (600x596, 22K)

you're right but I won't admit it

Stupid stoner shit

The Beatles and Beach Boys are timeless, Grateful Dead is dadrock.

I do think so but I'm not sure why
I smell ass and old people when I think of The Beatles

>ass line in God Only Knows is in a different key
I don't hear that at all. I think you're mistaken.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Only_Knows

I think a huge difference between the beatles and the beach boys is that the beatles used a lot of really cool and innovative studio effects and applied them to instruments and vocals, while the beach boys was always just clean straight up recording of instrumentals and vocals. Both have some truly amazing work, but ultimately the Beatles have much deeper discography and the beach boys have a lot of bad music so I think I'd say the beatles are better.