So whats the best 2016 picture according to Sup Forums ?

So whats the best 2016 picture according to Sup Forums ?

strawpoll.me/12193574
strawpoll.me/12193574
strawpoll.me/12193574

Where's Batman v Superman?

Where's The Neon Demon?

>those forced diversity black movies in there

Such a shame. Fences is actually good but now Denzel's achievements are enormously downplayed due to diversity politics the year before. He'll just get an Oscar anyway because he's black.

Christine you pleb

Gotta be honest witchu senpai, Moonlight? It's pretty fucking excellent. Fences is good too, Hidden Figures is the one that doesn't deserve to be there and is mostly there for diversity.

Anyway, I voted for Hacksaw becasue Mel really needs to win. I want his viking epic

is la la land really that good?

I fucking loved it. A true throwback to actual musicals, not shit like the garbage Meryl Streep is in.

wasn't nominated, brosef

Silence

>Arrival and La La Land leading
smells like reddit

It's not.

It's good, but not REALLY that good. Definitely not worthy of 14 fucking nominations.

Literally this.

Except the singing and dancing were the most mediocre parts of the film. Nice throwback you got there.

Why not add that alt-right Sup Forums pandering anti-Clinton propaganda doc so it can win 95% of the vote and we can all stop pretending that this board is for film discussion?

Arrival was great though. You're trying way to hard, pseud.

>implying anyone here saw Lion

it was as OK, not brilliant not shit.
Just because a scifi film comes out between November and January, doesn't mean its MOTY

Anyone who votes for la la land is a complete faggot. Shit writing, acting, singing and dancing.

Kys it was hot steamy garbage

It was great though. Best picture material.
Original concept, good story, wonderfully executed. The special effects were top notch too. Even Amy Adams surprised me with her mandarin in the third act which was quite nice to see. It has very little flaws, though the flaws kind of add to the atmosphere in this case.

The only reason I could think of someone disliking this is for very petty personal reasons (i.e. redditors happen to like it must mean it is shit, or my best friend's gay cousin likes it and he's a pleb, therefore it is shit. )

All these redditor stonefags make me laugh tbqhwyf.

errr yeah nooooo. fell asleep two times in cinema watching that slow garbage. Was really hyped for it but god its just too slow.

>literally no votes for Lion or Fences
>literally nobody talking about these films anywhere

It's obvious which films the Jews have set to win their awards. *cough* La La Land *cough* Moonlight.

>Arrival is on this poll
>Arrival is winning this poll
>95% of Sup Forums hasn't seen half of these movies because Sup Forums alternates life between watching blockbusters and getting triggered by darkies

Just nuke this fucking board already

Manchester by the Sea, because it has /ourguy/ in it.

Way ahead of you

t. La la land shill

I didn't like arrival that much but its better than jew jew land

Well, what do you expect? I think Fences is a good movie but I don't expect people to go watch it when diversity politics basically forced the Oscars commitee to nominate "black movies". It'd be very reasonable for anyone to just write these movies off as "diversity nominees" and pay no attention to them.

Oh shut the fuck up. Moonlight is a 10/10 and is the best film of the year next to Manchester, it's just literally impossible for a movie to star a black person without you calling it a "diversity nominee" because you're a Sup Forumstard.

Batman v Superman = Arrival

Why is Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, and Hidden Figures there?

All are OK 7/10 films. Not groundbreaking, not best pictures emotionally or technically.

Where's Knight of Cups?

La La Land is a 4/10 at best

Sup Forums has literally nothing to do with boycotting "88" poettry Oscar last year. I was failed by your own game.

enjoys a movie then complains about it being forced diversity? maybe youre the problem here

The Handmaiden, or The VVVVitch, but that's technically a 2015 movie.

Arrival was nominated yes, do try to stay at least one step behind, chap.

I haven't seen all of these nominees, but out of the ones here presented I did vote for Arrival. I thought it was the best of the bunch (again, of the ones i've seen). Not my fault they didn't care about marketing the other films.

Though I will say, it seems strange to include things like Fences or Hidden Figures. Can't vouch for their quality, but it's obviously something to do with blacks and politics. Hell or High Water, while a fine film, really shouldn't be there though. I guess they just ran out of ideas for nominees at that point.

Really hope Hacksaw Ridge wins though.

>mostly there for diversity
>already 2/9 are solid black-kino

It just wasn't good enough for a nomination. Can't believe they included it.

you could have cut out basically every song and it wouldn't have affected the plot of the movie what-so-ever

>all these votes for Jew Jew Land

This can't be real. I didn't think there were this many jews on Sup Forums.

They are good goys with bad taste

I'll explain it better for you since I'm sure I explained it poorly.

Denzel is great in Fences and deserves a legitimate Oscar. Fences itself is great too and deserves at least a nominee.

Unfortunately, due to politics from last year, the nominations they have received are worth less due to not knowing if it was due to a diversity quota or if they truly deserved it. If it wasn't for SJWs crying about black people, their nominations would be fantastic. Now they can technically be reduced to a mere fulfilling of said diversity quota.

Diversity politics have essentially caused a divide between regular Oscars and black people Oscars, which means people will grant less merit to Oscars awarded to black people.

DONT THINK IT

where the black movies and that woman pandering movie good?
Im actually surprised that Hidden figures was nominated

There are only 300 peoples in this sub KEK

>Arrival has the most votes

and I thought Sup Forums was filled with redditors

won't win the Academy Award though. it's reserved for La La Land or Moonlight. the question which one of those films will the Jews choose.

Honest opinion, if you think Moonlight is only about being black and gay then you have as shallow thinking as SJWs.

Moonlight at its core is about loneliness, the nature of emotional connections for better or for worse, and the path of social alienation to self-alienation. And I believe that these themes are not bound by gender, race, and sexual orientation. To demerit it based on its gay black character is a disservice to the film as much as praising it for its surface identity.

I saw Hacksaw and Manchester. Hacksaw was better.

The people that are shitting on Moonlight didn't watch it user

No, they weren't good. Just a really bad year for movies.

Is this sarcasm?

>Arrival
How?

Even the betting jews think its going to be all La la land

I have seen all but two movies on this list. So here's some quick opinions.

Arrival: Great but nothing spectacular and indicative of the power of film. Though that conversation with the Chinese Prime Minister was beautiful.

La La Land: Fine filmmaking but lacks depth. It was the superhero/nostalgibation equivalent for old white people that grew up on Ingmar Bergman, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly and a story of chasing your entertainment dreams that most millennials identify with. Past the colors and pretty colors lies...nothing.

Hacksaw Ridge: Great film. Incredible story and an amazing performance from Garfield. The brutality of the combat was unnerving and sometimes unbearable. But that grit really contrasted from the Hollywood color-grading layered onto the cinematography. And Garfield going on the stretcher in the sky was pure cheese.

Manchester by The Sea: Good. An interesting piece that focuses on character rather than plot. The issue being that the characters didn't outshine the lack of plot enough and by the end it just flattened out. Casey Affleck does deserve Best Actor though.

Moonlight: I think it should win. Acting, Plot, Cinematography, Soundtrack/Score, and Editing was all top-notch. A drama of this caliber could have been pure oscar bait and pretentiously melodramatic. Yet, the film's restraint allows it to break these bounds and come to fruition as a powerful and reflective film.

Hidden Figures: Pure Oscar Bait. Definitely a film made by a checklist. All craft and zero art. But it was a nice contrast to the other darker/arty films that I had watched.

Hell or High Water: Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges really pulled the weight of this film. Just like Arrival and Manchester, it was good but nothing rememberable or striking.

>Arrival
is this a reddit poll?

I figured so based on their criticisms. I hope it does win because then it may get a second theatrical run, earning what I think the film and A24 deserve.

I watched it. It sucked.

did 2016 have anything truly great, or anything that would ever be considered a classic.

Arrival? Are you even aware of the current year?

N-no, mr elected president

/thread

Moonlight wasn't that extraordinary, it felt like a lot of indie movies I've seen. With a wow gay black man tilt, that was done better with Omar on the wire

Exactly. They shot themselves in the foot because now the vote isn't impartial.
Any victory is hollow because of people who will never win Oscars whining that nobody of their race got validated last year.

Nothing is classic until 50 years after it's released.

You think the average person gave a shit about Casablanca or The Wizard of Oz when they were released?

what's so good about The Arrival?

Toni Erdmann

would the average person know a great film. probably not.

Silence and possibly Manchester by the Sea

these were the only 2 that i haven't added to my watchlist yet that i did today. why didn't i hear anything about a new Scorsese film anywhere?

Captain America: Civil war

>why didn't i hear anything about a new Scorsese film anywhere?
Because it's very pro-Christian/pro-faith and not in a corny way but in a pretty profound way.

I get that, it is an indie film so it's going to have that feel. But I don't think it really relied on that tilt though. I think there was two references by other characters referring to him as gay and the character wasn't portrayed stereotypically gay and the film was also devoid of any racism which is incredible restraint for a film in the current political climate. I will disagree with you on Omar though but only because the story/style context for both characters are drastically different.

People genuinely dislike it because they didn't understand it and think it's about time travel or, worse, politics
The same people who hate on it are Nolan fans

Hacksaw Ridge/Manchester by the sea

Casey or Andrew will win best main actor.

I completely agree
I said this at the time while twitter was getting its pants in a huff

Beasts of No Nation deserved so many awards last year, but it was overshadowed as part of #oscarssowhite, even though it was snubbed for being a netflix film and nothing to do with being about black people

And Denzel's great in Fences, as is Viola, but if they win everyone will assume it's because of a quota and not because they earned it

Moonlight is legit ridicously overrated
It's not bad. But it's cliched
The drug-dealer father-figure at the start stole the entire film which made the rest of the film stand out as being worse

Not gonna lie, teared up like a little bitch at the end of La La Land

Pretty sure Moonlight is winning the Oscars though because they're gonna want to avoid another bitchfest about lack of appreciation for black movies

>calls Hacksaw Ridge great
>calls Hidden Figures pure oscar bait
what did he mean by this?

seriously though, Hacksaw Ridge was the most blatant oscar-bait I've seen since the Imitation Game

where it belongs

>The drug-dealer father-figure at the start stole the entire film
I would've rather seen a movie about him tbqh

And because it's the best out of those nominated. Manchester by the Sea is the only one that comes close.

I think you got mixed up there, son. Hidden Figures is akin to Imitation Game. "Marginalized" person/people using their talents to perform an extraordinary task that couldn't be done by those that neglected them.

And Hacksaw Ridge has 200 scenes of sad music playing while Garfield looks sad as people die in slow motion around him, or as he prays to save just one more
I've never seen anything more contrived in my entire life

It's like a parody of oscar-bait at times, those stupid sketches that college-humour makes or something from the start of Tropic Thunder

>no the vvitch noms

Silence is the best film this year.

Paterson and Cameraperson

13 Hours
Knight of Cups
OJ: Made in America
Manchester by the Sea
Cafe Society

..were my favorites. Still waiting to see Hacksaw Ridge.

>unironically voting for Arrival

I want La La Land to win, but considering that Spotlight last year wasn't even the favorite in the oscar day and still managed to get the big one is telling.

actual musicals aren't something you want back

It sucks doesn't it. Also Washington is actually a black man who deserves all the accolades he gets, AND he doesn't have a victim mentality.

Also I didn't see the movie but read the play -- doesn't it kind of shit on Denzel's character for being so bitter and being a victim?

the state of this board. wonder what reddits top 5 is

>Moonlight in 5th

Niggerfaggots BTFO!!!

This poll isn't about your favorite but what you think will win the oscar and that will either be La la land or moonlight

Hidden Figures is okay but Captain Fantastic or Silence really deserve that spot more.

this place is as bad as reddit so its obvious a scifi comes in top

Get a screener out and we'll watch it.

>From the director of Prisoners
Not at all

The most IMDB sensibility film made so far. Anybody who thinks that Prisoners is above mediocre is juvenile about the medium and entirely emblematic of the video game crossposter fueled downfall of this board.

Villeneuve is one of the biggest trashmasters working today, a hack's hack. This is hot pocket the movie. Cheeto dust: the flick.

IMDB "FILM BUFF" pleb fodder. If you like this film then you are an enemy of the medium.

>MUH BASED JAKE
>MUH BASED DEAKINS
>MUH DARK THRILLER
>MUH RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM

All the memes are there

Very well said. The hashtag that the SJWs have used the last couple of years will taint any achievement legitimately earned by black actors for years to come. It's really unfortunate what the diversity pimps did.