>bad writing
>really bad acting
>really bad singing
>bad dancing
>bad numbers
>ooh but it looks ok!
>it's soo good!
What the hell is wrong with you Sup Forums

Remember that one time when they faded everything to black except for the character? And when they did it like seven more times afterwards? it was a good directing.

i stopped 50 minutes in
im sure ill finish one day

>>it's soo good!
it really doesn't even look that good TBQH, but the payoff of the final dream sequence and the last smile was worth all the shitty build up

I genuinely don't believe you, OP, know good from bad singing or dancing in any shape or form.

I will never watch this piece of shit. No fucking way.

Good for you user, stick to your guns.

I'm gonna. I don't care.

I was serious don't bother with this tripe.

>ooh but it looks ok!
It doesn't though. For one, it has like five really fast panning shots that look all blurry and make one's eyes hurt due to low FPS. Several close up shots are out of focus (that's common for modern DPs shooting film), and the opening one take number doesn't work at all, filled with sloppy and chaotic camera movements.

I agree but it seems people think it looks amazing for some reason.

When will the memeing about this movie stop

I can't take modern musicals seriously. I'm sorry. Not when the films are loaded with nu-celebrities, at least. It's hard for me to even get through Baz Luhrmann movies and I actually like the visuals in those.

>nu-celebrities
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH GET A LOAD OF THIS FAGGOT

Stop pretending this doesn't deserve the hate for being dishonest shit

>dishonest
what the fuck is happening to Sup Forums?

>really bad acting
>really bad singing
>bad dancing

This is false

I dont think its as good as hollywood wants it to be but it has good singing (not by gosling) great dancing and some decent acting by emma stone of all people.

the evolution of memes, user
as certain as the sun rising in the east, so too will memes be born, live, and die

also, witnessed

>dishonest maymay

Shit bait desu

Annie for """adults"""

Gosling and Stone are the pinnacle of nu-celebrities of I've ever seen them.

Korine posting worldwide.

Wrong

Man, Baz Luhrmann only made one film 15 years ago. It's time to let it go, he's a hack.

Not that user, but the meme is true here. It is the opposite of honest filmmaking.

(debatably) good

yeah basically the idea of this movie won all the critics over.

>It is the opposite of honest filmmaking.
what the fuck does that even mean?

Wow, sorry guys! You anons sitting posting on Sup Forums are clearly the experts on movie-making. This movie definitely sucks.
All of the direction, the sets, costumes, camerawork, acting, score, editing, lighting are all reduced to nothing because of your expertise posted anonymously on Sup Forums! You clearly know what you're talking about because you could make a much better film. I'm sure not using those panning shots and making sure all of those shots are in focus would make the film 100x better, right?
And that opening number just didn't work at all, did it? It was so sloppy, I'm sure you could do it so much better, user. I'm sure you're just bursting to the brim with talent and eventually your time will come and you'll make the best film the world has ever seen. Until then though, I'm sure you can enjoy settling for shitting on films everyone else likes. That's fine :)

Nice pasta

If it's not holy shit my man

>my man
get a load of this faggot

well what would you rather this win all the oscars? or black diversity bait? choose your poison.

manchester by the sea

Literally anything else even nigga shit

only girls and faggots can enjoy musicals

it's not even a musical tbqh

>hollywood up it's own ass
>how did Trump get elected?

OUT

OF

TOUCH

but both of the main characters are white! it must be good!

white power!!!

cuck

I wasn't even nitpicking, visually the movie may seem flashy, but it's actually highly overpraised and not great at all. The shot where their silhouettes are dancing among the stars is very cheesy, the reuses of the "lighting changes to emphasize the characters" is cheesy too. In all the scenes the direction was really pragmatic and unimaginative, with various homages to the films of Jacques Demy and golden era musicals, and not a single memorable shot.

Incidentally, pragmatism and lack of fun are a constant theme in Chazelle's screenplays, himself a unimaginative careerist. The La La Land screenplay is stupid garbage that doesn't make any sense neither on intellectual nor emotional level.

how can anyone like rian gosling? a rock would act better than him, doesnt have expressions alweays doing that smug smile seriously how the fuck someone explain this shit actor

>Oh no the movie is really popular and alot of people like it !

>The La La Land screenplay is stupid garbage that doesn't make any sense neither on intellectual nor emotional level.
defend this point because it sounds retarded.

I though Whiplash was artificial and that not once it portrayed a truly interesting cinematographic sequence it its (poor, to my sensation) attempt to match the montage with the rhythm displayed in the music; and its attempts to build tension were blatant and cliché.

I'm pretty wary of Chazelle's musical affinities, is this film good?

He's good at picking good autismo roles that Sup Forums can insert themselves into. Also fuck off he was amazing in The Nice Guys

All my friends who play music hate Whiplash. It's a completely inauthentic representation of music school and jazz apparently. I wonder if the same is true of La La Land. I did see some guy on the BBC shitting on it for this reason when it first came out before the huge hypetrain started up

what's with all the pretentious assholes that these movies attract?

>Also fuck off he was amazing in The Nice Guys

He was pure shit in that film. He needs to stick to "strong silent type" roles. And stop giving interviews, because his male J-Law act is putting me off the old films of his that I actually liked

Okay okay. I though Whiplash was shit, is La La Land the same shit?

protip: movies in general do a shit job representing X because they're movies first and use whatever to service the narrative. The general public has no idea what it's like to be in jazz school or to be a struggling actress or to be an autistic jazz piano player, but they don't have to know because the movie is telling them a story, not a documentary.

Manchester by the sea does the same. When they say the brother has congestive heart failure and that he'll most likely die in 10 years, that's bullshit. You can manage heart failure and it's not a terminal condition. There are options like stents, bypass, transplants. But that doesn't matter, for the story he has to die.

I don't think the two movies are comparable just because it has the same director.

Personally, I liked whiplash. I also liked la la land but just because of the payoff at the end, not because of the meat of the movie.

The representation of rhythm in Whiplash's cinematography is clearly visual though. And it was very very off.

None of the singing is particularly good or interesting you could argue it had good dancing though.

only autistic people would care.

Then why discuss film at all? Jesus fuck.

if you care about the singing or dancing, you're a faggot. The best thing the music does is set up the finale through an audio cue.

Damien Chazelle shitposters are in a league of their own.

I love his movies.

But Whiplash misrepresents the spirit of music at a very fundamental level. Its story would've worked better in a sports setting, if the main character was a baseball pitcher striving for greatness or some shit

>The representation of rhythm in Whiplash's cinematography is clearly visual though. And it was very very off.
explain how this affects the story of a student striving for greatness with a hard ass teacher pushing and/or sabotaging him?

Literally "turn your brain off" tier arguments

Is this the first non-Marvel film you've seen?

Isn't the music the main focus of the film though? Seems like if they want to go that route they should at least try to get it right.

>the spirit of music
fucking kill yourself.

>the main focus of the film
it's not, it's just a medium for the story. If it was the main focus, they wouldn't ditch it when they're pushing the story forward.

You alright, senpai? You're coming in too hot! Might want to pump the brakes a bit.

>Gosling
Yes.
>Stone
No.

Some of my favorite filmmakers are hacks but, for the record, I did say that I can't stand modern musicals. I'm not carrying any kind of torch for Luhrmann, just using him as an example of a director who can do something where the good outweighs the cringe.

Both characters are arrogant individualists that succeed because of pure luck (we know next to nothing about Emma's play or why is she so "interesting" as to warrant a major movie built around her, or Ryan's business plan--in the movie he doesn't seem to be very interested in the modern jazz scene he wants to promote via his club). All the career related stuff in the movie feels like contrived wish fulfillment and pandering.

Ryan likes jazz so much and is offended when Emma tells him that she's used to hearing jazz as background music. They he takes her to some cheesy jazz club and proceeds to loudly talk his boring bullshit all over the music.

With the help of John Legend, Ryan achieves a really cool and privileged position in a band that Emma should jizz all over, since it's a huge thing for her too, in case she doesn't make it as a star. Emma is somehow annoyed at Ryan, even though he doesn't have the alternative to invest in a club right then; to work in a band is actually the only path to his "dream" (note that his dream doesn't involve being a pretentious musician, just a club owner).

Their relationship dissolves without a real reason, one moment they can't live without one another, and then they just don't care to have a long distance relationship for a few months.

If they grow so bored of each other, how can the cheesy melodramatic fantasy sequence appear inside Emma's head? If anything she should feel indifferent to him, as after achieving success she seems to have grown even more cold and arrogant. The ending is pure manipulation and beta male fantasy.

How are we supposed to find greatness in his last struggle if the cinematography does nothing but obstruct the rhythm of the music in its half-assed way to follow it? The rhythm doesn't flow, it's stacked through common, delayed shots and driving me off the film as an inmersion of the payoff. Same thing happens when every single scene that is supposed to be tense is telegraphed to be so.

Stone is reddit incarnate. Bitch can't act.

Thank you!

She's cute, yes, in a Golem kinda way, but she can't fucking act.

I thought this film was dumb and ugly.

Mark Kemode, RLM, friends, family....all liked it.

Am I stupid?

>take thing that people like
>say its shit
>be faggot

No, the tragedy for you is that all those other people you listed are.

I'm glad soemone agrees I always get shit on for saying the gods honest truth

Well said my lad, well said

Why is thor pretending he knows a thing about movies again?

I'm in Australia where the Book of Mormon just came out.

I saw La La Land and liked it but completely forgot about it after seeing Book of Mormon.

Mormon gets those songs stuck in your head and makes you think about them long after you've seen the show.

I'm struggling to remember many of La La Land's songs besides City of Stars.