I have a question

So understanding the alien language changes your understanding of time and gives you to ability to foresee your future.So in the end, we see Amy Adams' character teaching that language to the students and writing books about it.Doesn't that mean anyone who knows the language can see the future?

Also it should've been Clive Owen instead of Jeremy Renner.

It just means the writer is a complete hack making up non-nonsensical shit and calling it sci-fi.

maybe, but she didn't fully get it until the alien zapped it into her
and this

What about the Chinese general then?

She used the language to have that conversation with the chinese guy in the present and in the future. He wouldn't need to know the language.

>aliens can see the future
>they still need humans' help even when they already know exactly how the humans would help them

She doesn't "see" the future. She experiences the future and even intervenes in it (e.g. when she says "zero sum game" to her daughter). I think 99% of the audience didn't fucking get this.

I didn't even like the movie but please understand it before criticizing.

Not really, he said something like ''I'm not saying I can understand how you think completely BUT'', something like this.He can see the future too.

Kill yourself.

its one of those sci fi movies where the aliens are meaningless and could be removed from the story and change very little

no u

That is the future. In the past Amy already called him and said all that stuff in Chinese that she learned from the future. So when he says ''I'm not saying I can understand how you think completely BUT'' he means he didn't know how she learned his wifes last words in the past when he was telling them to her in what he considered the present.

It's a reverse grandfather paradox

she has pauses in the "present" whenever she sees the future
if she is in the future then why doesn't the future pause when she returns to the past?

the moral of this movie is that causality-violating plots are shit-tier

how does this in any way imply that he can see the future?

she's not seeing the future. she is in the future. she is there. she perceives time differently, non-linearly, that's the whole point of the film. Time is not linear for her. Those events are actually happening/being perceived by her despite being far apart in time.

Why would he said the exact words to her?Not even changing a single word, he knows what she' did and how she did it.Also if i remember correctly aliens or Louise said something like ''This is our/their gift to humanity''.ALSO Jeremy Renner's character talked about a theory, learning a language changes your way of thinking.So yeah it's pretty fucking obvious.

>understanding the alien language changes your understanding of time and gives you to ability to foresee your future.
What the fuck? I though this was a serious movie.

Glad I never went to see it

She and the other linguists who interacted with the heptapods and figured how to translate the Heptapod language through their deconstruction of it, are the only ones who truly "understand" it. Take for example her husband, he did not experience the same result despite being exposed to the language.

>Serious movie
>About aliens

>she's not seeing the future. she is in the future. she is there
I'll reiterate
if she is "in the future" then why doesn't the future pause when she returns to the past?

Did you miss the nonlinear part?

Its a situation where all the knowledge and preparation the aliens can do won't save them. An external force is required. Like making Trump president knowing how much of a disaster he is.

because it's impossible to represent non-linear time to an audience which perceives time linearly.

is the short story better?
Also the rereleased this with new footage, right?

that's because the idea of a causality-violating plot is retarded and the people who like this movie are retarded for thinking it's "deep"

At that point it's common knowledge that Amy can see the future and saved the world. He's saying that he doesn't fully understand how the language/future sight connection works, which makes him exactly like the fucking morons on Sup Forums.

I agree, as I said I didn't like the movie, but it doesn't change the fact that the what they tried to convey isn't that she "sees" the future.

>Like making Trump president knowing how much of a disaster he is.
that's like saying that you knew Trump would win so you went and asked a colony of ants to help

Honestly the movie wouldn't be that bad without all the retarded fanboys calling it intelligent and being condescending when someone calls it out for being really dumb.
Remember that dumb part when aliens deploy an alien taxi to pick up Adams?
Remember "it was meeting you"?
Remember "let's make a baby"?
Remember the top military guy getting butthurt because a linguist couldn't decipher random alien noises but she could translate actual human language?
Remember the retarded mahjong premise?
Remember the Sappir-Whorf hypothesis which has been disproven?
Remember the super smart scientist not being familiar with the "kangaroo" story, something that you hear in elementary school?
Remember the top linguist actually sputing that bullshit when it's been debunked in the 70s?

Etc.

1. Taxi prevented further interruptions
2. and 3. You don't like sappy lines.
4. and 5. Agree
6. I don't know enough on the subject to agree or disagree
7. She told that story to Forest Whitaker, the military guy, not a scientist.
8. She admitted the story was false and used to to get a point across.

7. and 8., shit, you're right. It's been awhile since I've seen it

7. Oh you mean Jeremy Renner. Which I could agree with, since he's college educated, but then again I had never heard the story myself in elementary or college until I read the short story

She experiences the past, present, and future all at the same time in a closed loop you numbskulls, and yes its possible that the entire human race could gain this ability if they open their minds and learn the language. In theory, living in a closed loop could also mean immortality and that you could live out infinite possibilities if you wanted to.

You didn't pay attention to the movie so why bother getting so heated over it? She said it to Whittaker's character with Renner's character present and afterwards admitted to Renner's character that she made it up just to get the military head guy to go along with her plans

In practice you are an idiot.

user the present is the moment of time you currently experience.

If you went back to the Jurassic Period the Jurassic Period is now the present while where you came from IS THE FUTURE.

So if you could view the future at the same as the present ITS NOW A SINGLE GIANT PRESENT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING.

The very concept of future falls apart if you can see everything that happens at once in a single moment.

Good one, now go back to your capeshit containment threads and stop trying to understand movies that clearly aren't action packed enough to hold your attention

That just sounds like a smartass reiteration of time travel. It's like me saying it's not eating shit, it's really just eating food without nutritive value

Heated? I just realized I misread that anons post. That's why I corrected myself.

user even in a reality where there is no time, there is still a future because FUTURE is an abstract concept not a physical one.

true retardation

time is a dimension hence why it is affected by gravity and other forces

This is getting ridiculous.

Every single day since the release of the atrocious screeners there is an Arrival thread like this where people "discuss" literal plot points in the narrative which should be clear in the first viewing.

It isn't even anything "deep", you just had to watch what's happening on the goddamn screen and that's it.
Fucking screenerfags, bet yiou enjoyed the 96kbps audio too right so good

I wonder if her child got whatever disease she got because her and Jeremy Renner took off their suits in the shell and were exposed to something

>time is dimension
No only space has dimension.

Should have been anyone other than Jeremy Renner

This. Time travel plots will always lead to these discussions though because they are inherently paradoxical and autists have trouble suspending their disbelief.

Not OP, I don't think that sentence hints towards it, but his overall behavior. He seems to exactly know that at that exact moment she needs to hear her words from her phone call to him at the crisis, although it is the first time they meet.

I believe that Shang or General-san or whatever his name is studied her work and the language after the aliens departure because her call was that important, that resonant to him. After learning the language he could have recalled a later meeting she and him would have where she would tell HIM what to tell HER.

Like we all probably know the film isn't about the aliens or about the possibilities of the language, so it doesn't go into the future or the question what the language could achieve. I believe it is tremendously powerful, because if you know the language and you CAN teach one person the language you WILL teach them the language. With this any Heptapoid B reading and writing person is in contact with ANY other person with the same language skill in the human history of Heptapoid speaking people by 'telephone' essentially. This means a huge amount of accessible knowledge e.g. about things about to come farther than ones lifespan

If you find just not complitely stupid movie as GENIUS, it does not mean it is one.

>caring this much about how people go about seeing a movie
Honest to god autism