Which is right?

Which is right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N7-y-A3D5bk
youtube.com/watch?v=9HXwju2UXio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The one that is not shooting me rape eyes.

Fucking Hayden, I love the guy but every facial expression he has is creepy.

both
from a certain point of view

>Implying this isn't kino
>Implying it's not a reference to "The Picture of Dorian Gray" which ended with the Dorian dying as an old man while the painting is restored to its original beauty.

Neither one is right, it should have been fucked up nasty crusty Vader face without the mask

>HIGH DEFINITION GHOSTS

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE FIRST ONE IS WRONG

full metal jacket stare

From my point of view, neither are right.

Why did Darth Vader have a harmonica in one of those holder things inside his mask?

They're ghosts, they can look like whatever they want.

when he was killing the younglings, he thought to himself 'shit i need to get a ost for this'
that's why after he got rekt, he put the harmonica with the helmet
makin' killings, makin' deaths, fightin' round the world

Technically Anakin was supposed to he like 43 at this point, not some old guy

Obi Wan was about 60 as well so that's a glaring plot point.

The second one is "technically" closer because the prequels are canon. I'm sure the original idea was they were both old men, but Lucas fucked that up royally.

this.
Lucas is too smart, that's why normies hate the prequels and love the Disney

Is this canon?

Vader was Russel Crowe all along?

it literally is

Yoda and Obi look like they want to get the hell outta Dodge with Mr. School Shooter right next to them.

i cri evrytime

youtube.com/watch?v=N7-y-A3D5bk

Wrong

Anakin died when he became Vader so the force ghost taking the form of a young anakin is correct and not an older version

>Let's make Greedo like like an incompetent fuck AND take away some of Han's sleazy demeanour

Well I think the idea was to have Anakin look like what he did before turning to preserve that memory. Thats how I saw it after the change, so George didn't fuck it up really

>Well I think the dumb idea was
Retarded apologist.

Lol not being an apologist, I just assumed it was that right away so it never bothered me.

The Canon Version

Much better than Yub Yub

The Luke/Leia theme is also underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=9HXwju2UXio

I guess maybe Jedi who become Force ghosts can project themselves however they want which is why I probably wouldn't mind if Obi Wan came back as Ewan McGregor in an episodic movie.

I always found this disrespectful to the original actor.

The first one since it coincided with Vader age when he died like Yoda and Obi-wan

Also helps that he was filmed specifically to be a ghost and didn't just have b-roll footage mindlessly thrown in

I thought the newer version would've been correct because he became Anikin again.

Then I thought that he would've died as Anikin in the end, so the older version would make more sense.

The delux special edition got it right

The only good Lucas change besides the Battle of Endor in space fixes and extended Wampa scenes in ESB.

That's the problem with the edits Lucas made.

Like many people will hold up replacing the chimp eyed Sheev in Empire with Ian Mcdiarmid as good edit, but he's at such a higher resolution than anything else in the film it stands out like a sore thumb

And the having proper Sheev in ESB as well.

Young annie by far, nobody recognizes that old man

RIP MARY TYLER MOORE

MODS STICKY THIS

For some reason I kind of like the chimp face emperor in ESB, I dunno it seems more mysterious to me.
It's always great having Ian McDiarmid but the way Lucas edited in his face for that scene looks really awkward.

I really hope Sheev comes back in the new movies.

And he redeemed himself when he saved his son's life, as an old man. And why would it mean anything to luke when Obi Wan, Yoda, show up with some douchebag that doesn't comb his hair?
Vader retaining his youth is like saying "It's totally okay that you murdered children because at the end you threw an evil wizard down a space well.

Reminder he is 44 in Jedi

>It's always great having Ian McDiarmid but the way Lucas edited in his face for that scene looks really awkward.
This. McDiarmid is a lot, older, fatter, and the makeup doesn't look like it does in ROTJ. It just looks weird seeing ROTS-era Sheev in a movie when you know he looks wrong. There's really nothing wrong with how the emperor originally looks in that scene, and it isn't that different (besides the voice) from the ROTJ emperor. If anything, it's much closer than the replacement.

It's called the Kubrick stare

The original, because it's actually consistent with the theme of the movie. ROTJ is all about how Anakin still has good in him, and how Luke was able to bring that out and allow for Anakin's redemption. Him showing up as a force ghost that looks like he actually did (but in good health) is a visual cue that Luke was right, and that Anakin had redeemed himself.

Replacing him with young Anakin and having the explanation be "Anakin died when he became Vader," basically negates the point of the film. It means that Anakin had become irredeemably evil twenty years beforehand that his redemption wasn't possible. Luke was wrong, there was no good in him, and Vader's act of saving Luke didn't mean anything.

Exactly, really the best option would be to keep the old chimperor's face but have Ian's voice dubbed in.

Also another little pet peeve of mine is how they changed Boba Fett's voice from Jason Wingreen's to Jango Fett's in later releases, and I say that as someone who liked Jango.
Just seems really disrespectful to the voice actor who helped make Boba become so memorable in the first place and the new voice doesn't sound anywhere near as intimidating (I mean shit the character is supposed to be able to shit talk Vader).

I have no idea what the hell George Lucas was thinking with this. Literally everyone but him agrees that Han shot first.

>In the original movie newly redeemed Anakin and Obi Wan spare a meaningful glance between the two of them that speaks volumes about the implied friendship, and bond that they shared.
>In the new version Vader is staring at his shoes like a fucking moron
Jesus Christ, I didn't even know they made this change until Spike was playing the special editions on tv and there was nothing else to watch. It caught me completely off guard and I just snapped.

>Literally everyone but him agrees that Han shot first.
Checked.

>tfw 1997 versions would be perfect without the additions of shitty CGI and removal of Han shooting first

The original makes more sense.

I always assumed when you see a Force ghost you see them how you remember them and Sebastian Shaw is how Luke imagined his Dad might have looked.

Otherwise you get into that weird argument >when you get to heaven do you look the age you died?
>Is heaven full of elderly people?
>Or do you return to some idealised age?
>How the fuck do ghosts work?

Yeah, I mean if that's the case then why are Obi Wan and Yoda still old as fuck? Do you only get eternal youth for murdering children and being Space Hitler's right hand man?

lol Lucas is a master troll

Holy shit, I forgot how bad that looks. Hayden's head movements don't even match the body.

You become a force ghost at your most powerful/attuned with the force. You're literally projecting your consciousness out into the ether as it was when you were last alive and most in tune with the Force as a whole, you're becoming one with it.

Obi Wan trained for the moment where he would fully assume himself into the force, he was old when he was powerful enough to do it, so much so that his physical body dissapeared. That's why Obi isnt some young guy force ghost, he was only able to do it as an old man.

Same with Yoda, Luke gave him closure, he was strongest in the force in his twilight. We don't see young Yoda.

Anakin being young made sense because that was the representation of his most force powerful and his most intact. Becoming vader halved his midichlorian count, he was less man than machine. Good, unmarred Anakin was always in him regardless of his Vader bravado, it just took shedding his robot body for his "true self" to come out. The one that had been clinging on all along. Also he's the chosen one, he probably has special priveleges.

This. If Anakin gets to look his prime for the rest of eternity in the Force, then why do Obi Wan and Yoda get stuck as old men? It's retarded and makes no sense. Maybe if it were explained somehow, but it isn't. As far as we know, there's no reason at all as to why Anakin appears young again.

Imagine how weird a young, non-wrinkly Yoda would look, though.

Isn't he like 25 in RotS? Then 45 in ANH? That'd make him 49 in RotJ.

Nice headcanon.

Literally this you fuckheads. Yoda and Obi both dissapeared because they fully assumed themselves body and soul into the force. Anakin didnt dissapear, it was a spiritual assumption free from the mechanical body and scars. Anakin wouldnt suddenly be pretty and healed, because pretty and healed older Anakin never existed. He became youthful again because thats who he was inside the whole time.

I'd probably be okay with this if he actually looked happy and not like a creep

22 in ROTS, 41 in ANH, 44 in ROTJ. Officially, at least.

Lucas fucked up and forgot that Anakin and Obi-Wan were supposed to be experienced adults during the Clone Wars.

He does look happy though

I buy this explanation

>Censored blaster shots

>thats who he was inside the whole time.
So assuming this isn't just your autistic headcannon, why was he Shaw in the first place? Why wouldn't they have cast some random young actor no one had seen before?
And why would it mean anything to luke when some fucking stranger-danger looking douchebag shows up with the two guys who trained you in the force?

>luke screaming nooooooooooo

>Why wouldn't they have cast some random young actor no one had seen before
No, because they wouldn't want to limit themselves to that appearance

But thats the whole point dumbfuck, Lucas is a shitter about a lit of stuff but this change and the removal of Yub Yub are great tonally and stylistically. Before someone might say who the fuck is that weird old guy, now with young Anakin and having viewed the prequels they can make the connection.

Qui Gon's body didnt dissapear, it was burned like Anakins. They were both spiriually assumed into the force, unlike Yoda and Obi who were so in tune with the force that they took their bodies with them at their strongest. Anakin untouched by machines was who he was deep down all along, it made sense for his crowning moment if redemption to have hin be who he used to be. Old untouched vader never existed, no one would know what he would actually look like, he wouldn't suddenly just be fixed.

The prequels are shit and George is an asshoke but this change makes sense.

The sentiment is there, but like the other user said Anakin never existed as an old guy, it made no sense that all of a sudden he would be healed and a person that never really existed would be a force ghost. Anakin also doesnt physically leave with the force, Obiwan and Yoda both do si they take their forms with them

Can someone please shoot Cat with a Bat as a ghost?

>Before someone might say who the fuck is that weird old guy
Y-you mean the guy they just revealed as Vader two scenes ago? You think people wouldn't know who that was? More importantly, you think LUKE wouldn't know who the fuck that was.
It's an awful decision artistically and ethically.You're drunk on memes lad.

>Anakin never existed as an old guy,
Yes he did. That's the entire point of the ending of ROTJ. Anakin still had good in him and Luke was able to bring that out. When that happened, Anakin saved Luke's life, took off his mask, and acknowledged that he was still Anakin Skywalker and a Jedi deep down. He appears healed because it's a standard way of showing that someone has been saved/restored.

I know how much you must value your own headcanon (and I guess explaining the change if you grew up with it), but it's never going to be more accurate than what the movie flat out tells you is happening.

The special edition is an atrocity

Again, the idea is a great idea, but an unmangled Vader doesnt exist, and he was never taken physically in the force. The idea is that it represented who he was before he became Vader.

Since Obiwan and Anakin were SUPPOSED to be older, maybe Shaw was how he looked pre Vader. Shaw is clearly an old man force ghost far older than 40.

I think our disagreement is based partially in how shitty of a writer Lucas is.

The idea that Anakin's force ghost would represent who he was before Vader, and that Obiwan and Yoda were both physically assumed and would look how they last looked makes sense. Adding Hayden Christenson is kinda shitty because of the connotation and reminder of the prequels. If they were incredible movies no one would care about Shaw being replaced for tone

>Before someone might say who the fuck is that weird old guy, now with young Anakin and having viewed the prequels they can make the connection.
Wait a minute, do you seriously think people were confused about who that was, why he was there, or why he looked like that before Lucas made that change?

I mean physically. It makes more sense that Anakin would look like he did pre vader and have the knowledge and exprience of being vader and having come full circle. He gets a full redemption.

I think the fuck uo with the ages, and the shittiness of the prequels mangled an otherwise acceptable idea

>but an unmangled Vader doesnt exist
Oi he does mate! I got a fucking picture of him. Right fucking here.

>top: "Who is this old man? Ghost Yoda, get him out of here!"
>bottom: "Why, if it isn't Ghost Anakin Skywalker. He was a good friend."

>ObiWan and Yoda both dissapear with their bodies and stay old
>Anakins body is burned and he can look however he wants even young

Why is this confusing people so badly?

The Old Ghost doesn't represent who Anakin was. It represents the man he became(Vader).

The Young Ghost represents who Anakin was, the man he was before he fell to the Dark Side.

The reasonable thing would've been to have Hayden go through some old age make up to make him look reasonably enough like an older Anakin, but not 70 year old Sebastian Shaw.

>Anakins body is burned
His armor is burned. Y-you wouldn't burn a redeemed Anakin in the fucking symbol of his downfall.

The Sand People are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers.

Speaking of Sand People, did I ever tell you about your grandmother, Shmi Skywalker? I left her as a slave on this very planet after taking away her only family member, to suffer alone. She was kidnapped and raped to death by Sand People. I could have easily had her freed from slavery at any time but I forgot. And she was a good friend.

Asshole, we loterally see Yoda die and then seconds later dissapear. Luke holds Vader as he dies and nothing happens JUST LIKE QUI GON. It was a spiritual ascension, for fucks sake he had like half a body anyway

I'm fine with knowing nothing about Yoda's species.

I don't want to see baby Yodalings. Girl Yoda was bad enough.

Trips confirmed

He redeemed himself right before he died, so I would think the older version makes sense. He shouldn't be scarred, since obi-wan doesn't have a giant slash across his torso.

Why every darth has a fucked up face?

>Anakin is restored to his youth when his power level was the highest
>it was his power level that lead to his fall to the darkside
>his power never did anything but destroy the things he loved
>his ultimate redemption was as a frail old man in a failing life support suit to make a sacrifice out of love to protect his son
>something anakin never once did ever once in the prequels
>Well better make his force ghost the young guy who murdered children and choked his pregnant wife until her will to live was broker
>That's the guy who deserves to be rewarded
>Not the man who has gone through the struggle of the dark side eating away at his soul as he personally led death squads to murder former friends and mentors
>Not the guy who learned a fucking lesson
>Not the one who suffered for his sins
>Not the more mature wise man who acts like a jedi, acting out of defense and compassion
>Nope... make his force ghost the shitty version of him that caused all this evil
>Because power levels

Oh, did the prequels ruin something?

Tbh Anakins ghost either should have been burnt or at least aged from episode 3. Fresh outta order 66 anakin doesn't fit this scene at all.

I'm pretty sure every single person who saw the film in the 30 years since it was released before the special edition changes knew exactly who that was meant to be.

As I've said before arguing about how old you look as a ghost is fucking stupid. You don't have an actual appearance because you're a ghost, the spirit of someone deceased.

Luke only sees them the way he remembers them or in his fathers case, imagined him.

Nobody thinks about their parents as teenagers. You always think of them as being parental age.

I was watching the original trilogy on DVD with a family friend a couple years ago. It was the special editions because that's the only commercially available version.

When Hayden Christensen appeared my friends daughter point blank asked who that ghost guy was.

>Oh, he's an actor from a different trilogy
>That's meant to be young Anakin

Fuck you Lucas. We have to have these retarded discussions with retards who think the changes improved the movies forever because of you.

Are they actually there, or just in Luke's head?

*insert vegeta quote here*

ITT Lucas apologists twist their logic more than Nazis on trial at Nuremberg. Accept the fact: LUCAS WAS A HACK. "was". He's finished as a director. Rich but an empty husk, derided by fans and haters of SW. Now he will live a long life while being NTR by Disney. Yessssss.

Checked.
Lucas apologist btfo again.

Vader never looked like the guy in the first one

good post

Top one is wrong mostly because Anakin never looked like that.