I just recently read this from a Black Metal Theory Symposium back in 2009:

I just recently read this from a Black Metal Theory Symposium back in 2009:
"The Murder of Euronymous by Varg Vikernes appears as the founding gesture of the tradition of black metal. In fact, it is a mere origin myth, foreclosing the real founding gesture. The real gesture, though it is less notorious, is the suicide of Dead. Compare Cobain "I betrayed the counterculture" to Dead, "I betrayed myself to the counterculture". Dead's death secretely inaugurates the birth of black metal and the death of counterculture as such."

Can someone explain to me the last sentence ?

Also, was the killing of Euronymous such a big thing for the "tradition of black metal"? or here the author is just referring to the consequent, massive media coverage which contributed to the popularization of this sub-genre ?

Attached: tumblr_mgt1px98ez1qiadpyo1_500.jpg (500x500, 98K)

Euro was the one who invented the scene, i think he owned the record shop they all met at.

You could probably wax mythical about the whole thing.

Some pomo viking saga set in the modern day. One hyper commie vs a hyper nazi trying to out do each other with how evil they can be

I think thats kind of symbolic. Two avatars of extremism doing battle with each other.

Of course if you take a step back you could easily be all "lol bunch of edgy kids"

Is he okay?

Dismissing someone as edgy kinda implies a level of phoniness. Some of these early guys were literal murderers who burned down churches. How much further than these guys do you need to go before you can just say they were fucking evil bastards?

dead was jesus of black metal and he died for it, the others cunts were just attention whores with antisocial disorders. not evil at all, just retarded.

>>
What do you mean with "he died for it"? Was he disappointed by any aspects of the scene ? Or simply depressed for whatever reasons in relation to his view on life, death, counterculture, society etc. ?
I don't get why his suicide should be considered as a founding act for Black Metal as a music genre or as a political receptacle. Of course that was a pity because of his talent, but is there more than that ?

its just a flesh wound

suicide is ultimate denial of gift of life. you can't get more evil, everything besides suicide - church burnings, murdering others - it's just ego trying to feed itself.

>Can someone explain to me the last sentence ?
No. Because Black Metal Theory brings the idiocy of black metal fanboyism to an entirely new level of autism. College students choosing black metal as the topic for their dissertation paper is nothing short of fart-sniffing pseudo-intellectual tourism. These "objective analysis" "theoretical" types are a false, and therefore incapable of entry. Re-evaluating and theorizing about this nonsense only brings more attention from outsiders and hucksters looking to make a quick buck. Leave black metal in the dark where it belongs, far from the false light of the mundane world.

Attached: 65347487659680.jpg (205x168, 16K)

>anime lolifag complaining about tourism

>How much further than these guys do you need to go before you can just say they were fucking evil bastards?
If they made bad music? :^)

>Posting a japanese image
>On a japanese image board
Who'd of thought?
How about you take a few minutes and come up with a real argument, boy?

Attached: 543857893475284957938753789734289534278574985277.jpg (237x213, 7K)

>tfw we will never see the other pictures of Dead's corpse

>Black Metal Theory Symposium
This is why hipsters need to fuck off

Attached: 1353791540640.jpg.jpg (150x150, 32K)

Dead's suicide > Varg's murder, in terms of scene creation

You know black metal/satanists are just a way to brainwash/recruit white supremacists?

>One hyper commie vs a hyper nazi trying to out do each other with how evil they can be
The fall-out was more about the fact that Varg believed Euronymous was basically just putting on a show of being this notorious, controversial badass, who talked himself up to cultivate an image.
Varg saw Euronymous as lacking integrity, and the fallout likely arose from the church burning saga. Everyone in Euronymous' scene talked about it, but nobody - at least not Euronymous - actually did it. Varg did it, and then saw how Euronymous and his buddies were riding on the notoriety of Varg's church burnings and that probably made Varg very angry and confrontational.
They get into an argument, Euronymous makes hollow threats, again just posturing and bigging himself up, and I'm sure Varg knew his threats were hollow, but of course in retrospect Varg claims to have taken them seriously and believed Euronymous to be serious, because it corroborates his weak af claim of "acting in self defense". In reality, Varg just got pissed off with Euronymous talking shit and stealing his valour, and that's why Varg killed him.

Dead killed himself. Euronymous used Dead's act for self promotion.
Varg burnt churches down. Euronymous used Varg's act for self promotion.

This is why Varg hated Euronymous. He built himself up entirely on reflected glory.

>current year
>tourists still romanticize dead/manlet eurogay
stick to your mumble rap/fantanocore please

>tourists
this is the single most cancerous word used on this site, kys

truth hurts i know

I can think of more cancerous words used on this site.
>nigger
>trump
>soy
>grimes
>waifu

>mfw he literally makes his living on youtube now
To be fair my friends and i talked about mayhem a lot in middle school. So i guess im guilty of the same thing.

what hurts more is claiming that certain board is your own and then calling people whose opinions you dislike as ''''''''''tourists'''''''''''''. imagine being that insecure, huh

Attached: 1517611558096.jpg (720x960, 84K)

Dead killed himself because he was a depressed person whose only support system was made up of narcissists and sociopaths. This "died for the scene" bullshit was just more Euronymous posturing.

>support system was made up of narcissists and sociopaths
I'm guessing you're referring to Euronymous and Varg respectively.

>Dead's death secretely inaugurates the birth of black metal and the death of counterculture as such.

While Dead was a very relevant member of the black metal scene, his suicide and Euronymous's reaction only made black metal seem more kvlt. Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky is the start of black metal. The music, the band, the aesthetic, would all be copied by pretty much every black metal band in some way.

Attached: Darkthrone-A-Blaze-in-the-Northern-Sky_large.png (480x480, 95K)

I think that Bathory and Varg also played an equally important role, especially when it comes to the volkisch outlook, the revamp of European pagan heritage.
These aspects, while being controversials and difficult to handle with awareness, are strongly tied to that sense of occult obscurity, mystical approach to nature and nostalgic negation of modernity that in my mind characterize scandinavian BM.

I could be wrong, but isn't this volkisch approach to nature, religion and politics the single most important element characterizing the late 80s/early 90's BM ? (I am voluntarily leaving out the musical side in order to focus on these others)

Pretty sure the Leipzig show happened before a blaze in the northern sky

literally what the fuck are you talking about nigger? i swear this board is full of 80 iq retards

Seeing as traditional satanism and the occult in general has existed long before the contemporary white supremacist movement, I highly doubt that. Just because 2nd wave black metal adopted some volkshit ideologies doesn't change anything.

All of his "friends" were garbage and treated him like a fucking alien

Second wave black metal definitely starts from Euronymous. From a recorded perspective we have evidence of very early stuff around 89-90 of the songs that entail DMDS. But from an ideological and technical perspective, it's even more obvious that Euronymous is the real starting point. The scene started around his (failing) record store. A lot of the edgiest ideas were spread by Euronymous himself as he was this guy who was two to four years older than everyone else, so he would like tell Varg "say this edgy stuff on this interview." His whole "lets make this an exclusive club" is easily the biggest influence on the metal community's excessive elitism as well.

Euronymous is easily the most influential figure in the metal genre and metal community since the 90s. And I partly hate that because him and the hate he espoused to his peers is just dumb and tryhard as fuck, not really evil or anything. Like, it was all to be edgy, because these guys didn't necessarily have fucked up pasts or anything like a Ted Bundy. It's childish rather than evil, and there's a reason none of them do anything even close to what they used to once they grew up.

Thats their reasoning behind it they think they are by blood and xtianity is a plot to enslave mankind

xtianity is a plot to enslave mankind

We have no vocalist anymore!!! DEAD killed himself two weeks ago! It was really brutal, first he cut open the arteries in his the wrists and then he had blown off his brains with a shotgun. I found him and it looked fucking grim, the upper half of his head was all over the room and the lower part of the brain had fallen out of the rest of his head and down on the bed. I of course grabbed my camera and made some photos, we’ll use them in the next Mayhem LP. I and Hellhammer were so lucky that we found two big pieces of his skull that we have hung on necklaces as a memory.
lf because he lived only for true old black metal scene and lifestyle. It means black clothes, spikes, crosses and so on. You know, bands like old hellhammer, Bathory and so on but today there are only children in jogging swit and skateboards and hardcore moral ideals, they try to look normal as possible. This has nothing to do with black, these stupid people must fear Black Metal! But instead they love shitty bands like Deicide, Benediction, Napalm Death, Sepultura and all that shit!!
We must take this scene to what it was in the past! DEAD died for this cause ad now I have declared WAR! I’m angry but at the same time I have to admit it was interesting to examine a human brain in rigor mortis. Death to false Black Metal and Death Metal! Also to the trendy hardcore people… AAARRGGHH!

EURONYMOUS, April 1991, two weeks after Dead’s suicide.

Attached: Sneed.jpg (800x450, 46K)

>DEAD died for this cause

hehe

Blood Fire Death was the first black metal album t.b.h. f.a.m.

Euronymous was autistic as fuck

No he wasn't.
Varg is obviously autistic. Autists are shit at fronting or being dishonest, lacking integrity.
Autists couldn't pose like Euronymous and maintain his social circle.
Varg is a turbo autist.

This. Varg was an unstoppable autist and Euronymous an immovable faggot.

>Death to false Black Metal and Death Metal! Also to the trendy hardcore people

Eere hardcore kids already jumping on the BM bandwagon in the early 90s?
I remember when they all heard Bone Awl and Ildjarn for the first time in like 2007 and immediately started a ton of shitty "blackened hardcore" bands. To say nothing of that fruity blackened crust shit that started happening later.

>Varg was an unstoppable autist and Euronymous an immovable faggot.

Attached: 1496872042597.jpg (600x656, 71K)

what happens when both forces collide?

bump