So do critics just not care about cliches any more...

So do critics just not care about cliches any more? The first half of this movie was almost entirely cliches but reviewers still think the movie was above average.

really makes you think

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlaGhihG3pc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No they just really hate Mel Gibson

But it has 93% with top critics, Sup Forums
And you should be looking at the average rating not the "tomatometer" ;^)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlaGhihG3pc
It was a 7/10. It's way overhyped but this whole year has been graded on a curve. Arrival , La La Land, Hidden Figures, etc. getting BP noms among numerous others? Gimme a break.

I totally called Hell or High Water being the best movie they bother to nominate when that came out, and that was a bad sign.

Average rating is still 7.4

I genuinely think that the first half of the film is a 2/10. It's just one cliche after another without any originality. I don't get why critics are willing to overlook that

Cause its done well

>movie comes out on dvd and bluray
>suddenly Sup Forums hates it

>bloodiest conflict of WWII
>Japanese forces overstretched and numbering 2-3 million troops in whole pacific theatre
>this is what Americans actually beleive

>out on dvd and bluray

its not just poor pirates faggot

I mean I don't think that the writing was done well. Whatever you want to say about the other elements of the film, the screenplay was just shit

>okinawa
>bloodiest battle of WWII

fucking americans

Nah. It was a little hokey, a little schlocky, but it was effective. It worked for the same reason the old 40s-70s war movies worked, because it focused on character. We cared about Dawes, we cared about his wife, we cared about his dad, his squad mates. Character will always triumph over any other flaws a movie may have.

Parts of it worked, especially early when he's meeting his girlfriend, but the whole conflict in bootcamp could've come out of a B-movie. Predictable, boring, with characters whose motivations are 1-dimensional. It's like they approached the section with a checklist of things in other war movies. If you haven't seen Full Metal Jacket recently then you should rewatch it and keep Hacksaw Ridge in mind

More like HACKsaw Ridge

This movie was garbage. Pretending to like a movie because you like a director's political views is reddit behavior and those who do so need to be cleansed from my board.

this
i see so many movies lately with just the most transparent one dimensional characters and it just ruins movies for me
>tfw theres times that i wish i was a pleb again

Mel is a legend

you're right it was tarawa

>Bloodiest battle of WW2
pfft

I finished it an hour ago and thought it worked very well for what it was trying to do, which is being well shot, just enough humour, paint a Dawes as an inspirational soldier, and having brutal war scenes that both excited and horrified.

It's funny, I recommended it to my friend as "Forrest Gump x Saving Private Ryan x FMJ" and you guys mentioned FMJ+FG.

I found it to be genuinely moving and that Garfield did a great job.

>and you guys mentioned FG.

huh, apparently not. Don't know why I thought I read that here

Where can I torrent it? I'm too much of a lazy fuck to search for it myself also, I'm borderline computer illiterate

It was Stalingrad you beta

After watching this and Arrival I don't know if critics are morons or if I am just a pleb. They weren't bad movies, I liked them, but holy shit they were overhyped as fuck and shouldn't really be nominated at the oscar.

I know that the "trailers spoil the movie" thing is just a meme, but when I go to see a movie I expect to see something more complex than the basic premise. The only important things that happen are:

>the military lets him stay
>he saves people

But there isn't any conflict. The closest we get is the court scene where we might have a real conversation about his morals, but it just gets brushed off with the Brigadier General's letter.

The first part's naïveté is subverted by the rest of the movie though

I'm glad I'm not a pleb but scores like on this movie really cause some inner strife. I guess that most reviewers here were reviewing it from the perspective of a war blockbuster, and so they didn't look as harshly at its failings. Sort of like how capeshit gets really good RT scores.

I don't know, there's something confusing about having opinions outside of the mainstream. Maybe this movie is alright as a sort of "turn your brain off" flick, but it doesn't seem to want to be taken like that because of the focus on its message which goes so hard as to feel like propaganda at points.

>brutal fight scene that shows heroic Americans shooting a never-ending Japanese horde
>"now lets have a montage of him saving people"

The whole thing is naïve

But that actually happened?

I don't know why directors think they can make relevant films about the Pacific Theatre after "Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers" were made.

>Japanese are savage monsters
>Americans are noble warriors who even help save some of the japanese soldiers

it actually happened over 3 weeks, not 2 days. Maybe it would've been less naive if they actually showed the 3 weeks

its naive to think that heroism exists and that the Americans are morally superior to the Japanese. This premise is introduced in the first half, but only further supported in the second half.

That's not exactly wrong, though. I know you've been trained to hate America, but please do some actual research

>nips are savage monsters
maybe some, not all
>americans are noble warriors
no
>who saved some Japanese soldiers
Dawes did, not America as a whole

I would say that the country that sneak attacks a foreign nation is inherently morally inferior.

Japan started the war, they tortured POW's, and had some of the highest rates of rape and murder of civilians. They were morally bankrupt

Cliches are there deliberatedly.
It's an "old times movie" user. Basically Sergeant York with guts and brains flying out, Mel style.

Oy vey! I wonder who could be behind these posts

The action scenes are so realistic though. This exact thing happened to my granddad.

To be fair, it's really down to the individual battles that define "bloodiest"

You can't fit a billion people in a house. What happens in that house determines its bloodiness.

Kek your grandad was used as a shield?

>running while holding a body in one hand improves aim dramatically

Adrenaline boners do