Movie depicts electroconvulsive therapy

>movie depicts electroconvulsive therapy
>it's an extremely painful procedure that makes the conscious patient scream and flail and clench their teeth
>also zapping noises

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X_T7WbjcOTA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>character is knocked out from a blow to the head
>doesn't have a concussion when they wake up

ect is painful. it will make you flail and clench your teeth (as your mussels contract)

but yah the electric arching noise is silly, i understand the need to have it because the violent jerking would look weird without it ... realistic but weird

>character gets tased
>gets knocked unconscious
>or drops without uttering a sound
>or screams in pain but is still in control of motor functions
>or gets knocked back

No, it actually isn't. An anesthetic and muscle relaxant are always administered before treatment

Trust me, my dad is going through it right now

>character gets shot in the arm or leg
>walks it off

>character is gravely injured and laying on the ground
>still making accurate shots with a pistol held in one hand

>character poops
>doesn't make the poop smile

>anesthetic and muscle relaxant

why would they need to do that if it wasnt painful??

but ok in a clinical setting, maybe not .. however wasnt its use as a treatment replaced with chemical therapy and cbt in the mid 90's ?

>knee surgery is painful
>no it isn't, they knock you out before they perform it
>why would they knock you out if it isn't painful???

Of course getting zapped with electricity and seizing because of it would hurt, but ECT is never painful because they don't let it be

they used to do it without drugs.

youtube.com/watch?v=X_T7WbjcOTA

Absolutely not. I'm a psychiatry resident currently rotating on an inpatient service, and we have multiple patients getting ECT. It's one of the fastest, most effective, and most tolerable treatments for depression we have, as well as other psychiatric conditions.

Hey user, could you possibly fill me in on what the current views on bipolar disorder in the medical community are? I understand there are a lot of discoveries and changed in perspective that aren't being incorporated into many treatments

For example, Lactimal is supposed to only be used on patients with Bipolar I but I have II and it's literally been saving my life

Also the whole "it's a spectrum, not a set of different kinds" thought

I took Lamictal just for straight depression because the Dr said she's seen it do wonders in the past. Worked well.

Yeah, the more we look into it the more we see that depression and bipolar are pretty much on the same spectrum

t. Knows nothing about being knocked out/knocking someone out
Pathetic manlet detected

>or gets knocked back
t. Knows nothing about being electrocuted
Damn there's a lot of retards itt

Don't tell Sup Forums that, it'd come as a shock to them.

You are the retard here. If you get hit so hard on the head that your body just shuts down, you're going to have a concussion at best, if not brain damage

>character shot in the torso
>falls on his back, closes his eyes, and shuts up

>electroconvulsive therapy
irl the patient is under anesthesia, unfortunately it usually takes dozens up dozens of attempts to see positive results, has to be expensive. Also never used as policy of punishment. Not even uuuu.

>If you get hit so hard on the head that your body just shuts down
Thanks for confirming my previous post

NOT an expert, just knew someone that went through ect... What's the average number of treatments before you get it "dialed in"? m'lady(you tip your hat when you read that!) went through 24ish. It did help her alot. She did have other issues as well...

For fuck's sake, *that you lose all consciousness and control of your body

Is that better, faggot? Are you going to tell me why I'm wrong already?

I read your post and woke up on the floor a few minutes later. Stop typing so hard, unless you don't want to, that's cool, buddy. We are buddies,right? I can bring you stuff if that'll help, p-pall...

Yes
Getting concussed isn't the only way to get knocked out by a hit to the head
Nothin' personel kid

ouch. Glad I was in the other room getting you stuff when you posted that,handsome.

My granny had ECT done following a deep depression which was brought on by a hysterectomy.
Was the only thing they found that could help her.

Now is is a million years old and has depression again. Fairly understandable though at her age.

I got knocked out in 2nd grade.
On my way to school some dude with a moped drove by and knocked me the fuck out for no reason.
woke up seeing a cirlce of faces looking at me, no concussion, brain damage or injury except for having lost time. Luckily somebody saw the whole thing and police got him

Sure matey

An acute course is generally around 6-12 treatments, but this doesn't necessarily get you back to baseline. Often people will require maintenance ECT every 3-4 weeks or so.

I've never heard of that. Lamotrigine is effective for bipolar depression regardless of type, as far as I know. The issue is that it does nothing for mania, so using it as monotherapy, especially in bipolar I, is asking for trouble.

if you are fit and lift regularly, you can take a shot like that pretty easy. i've been shot a few times due to my job, not as severe as it sounds

Security at mall of America