Intro to classical music

im sorry if people make this thread all the time, but i couldnt find anything in the catalogue or archive.

i'd like to learn more about classical music in order to understand music and music theory—i never played an instrument and am basically starting from scratch; what are the steps i should take to learn about the history of music, how music works, how composition developed, and what classical music i might like?

i was thinking id start to learn to play piano, would that be a good move to dip my toe in and learn through practice?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 335K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-CWm0765jGA
youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JQSPCVuLM
youtu.be/t9LfUEMfoXo
youtu.be/Ozb9eigk9yY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Start with the greeks

Check out /classical/ and remember that classical music = western art music that is hundreds of years old and encompasses hundreds of different genres moulded by different people and eras. Maybe get some books and read about history and theory if you're interested in those sort of things but I really wouldn't know where to start form scratch (I couldn't name authors or works) and if you're going to play the piano definitely get a good teacher. The piano is a really, really useful instrument to know if you want to get into these things.

this but unironically

read stuff on the internet and watch informative videos

Learn from the Latins
youtube.com/watch?v=-CWm0765jGA

If you've listened to one prime example of every genre, you have all of music theory right there. All you have to do is notice drum/note patterns, hi-lo differences, etc.

Stay in this thread OP, I'm going to find you the video that got me into classical music, even if it takes me all night.

how long did your previous phase last?

This is fucking it. I lost hope that I'd find it.
Watch this video, listen to this man speak. Enjoy it. This video got me into classical 10 years ago. God time flies.

thats just cruel, user

Oh my god I'm sorry, I got caught up watching it myself and forgot to post the link
youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE

Listen to progressive rock instead. It's like classical but good and actually fun to listen to.

I love ...
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JQSPCVuLM

Attached: 42ab6b1ff32f4ca563f9a22f8018f09a.jpg (600x900, 81K)

Mozart
Debussy
Reich

Made stuff that's relatively easy to digest compared to other music in the styles while still having made what are considered quality works.
Have made music that's pretty easy to digest relative to other stuff.

OP's already gone, he's really into metalworking now

aha thanks user, watching now

will listen

several years—im good at this

is a teacher required?

kek
yes you could find something in the catalogue or archive. try harder newfag.

>is a teacher required?
do you want a good education?

Pretty good gateway, has some experimental elements buy it's still pretty good example of contemporary CM

youtu.be/t9LfUEMfoXo

If you have some relative pitch, start with the stuff composed around 1900, Debussy (Faun, Sea, chamber music), Ravel (anything other than Bolero), Scriabin (symphonies), Bruckner (symphonies), Strauss (Also Sprach, other orchestral works), etc. It will instantly grab your attention what they can do with harmony.

With no relative pitch early romantic music like Beethoven and Schubert might be the best choice, very catchy (in a good way) music.

bump

Almost as disgusting as TED.

Just listen to what you like, ask for similar pieces, and then try to find pieces from each era. Here's a mandatory/iconic piece from the post-modernists/minimalists:
youtu.be/Ozb9eigk9yY

who is the third guy ?

>TED talk

Attached: Absolutely disgusting.jpg (600x450, 76K)

yep

I strongly recommend Stravinsky trology: Firebird, Petrushka and Rite of Spring. They are short