Dwight MacDonald describing cinema in 1953. He could be talking about now

Dwight MacDonald describing cinema in 1953. He could be talking about now.

General statements are called general for a reason, mongoloid.

The 50s was one of the worst decades in film. Besides Touch of Evil, Night of the Hunter and some bible ones, it was all shit.

Movies are a shit artform. They cost too much money and involve too many people. Also outside of the 60s and 70s almost all of the best American films were made by Europeans.

Fresh from r_eddit I see...

> Sophisticated
> Subtle acting
> Tasteful set design

Maybe excepting the last one, this sounds very little like modern Hollywood.

I should have opened with this passage.

This one is good. Same author.

what would he make of "mommy" posting is the real question....

This guy would be rolling over in his grave over, I'd say, 4/5ths of our current culture.

This means there'll be a time when capeshit are remembered as mature movies. Wonder what will replace it.

Probably people going to cinema to watch Youtubers do live streams.

>Probably people going to cinema to watch Youtubers do live streams.
I wouldn't be surprised if they already had that

>Macdonald's outspokenness and volubility garnered many detractors. "You have nothing to say, only to add," Gore Vidal told him. Leon Trotsky reportedly observed, "Every man has a right to be stupid but comrade Macdonald abuses the privilege." Paul Goodman quipped, "Dwight thinks with his typewriter." [26]

This is Dwight MacDonald.

/fa/ as fuck

An atheist communist to boot.

Literally a perfect description of Kubrick and Nolan. All style and no substance.

Yeah, 2001 and Interstellar are devoid of substance amirite?

>Every man has a right to be stupid but comrade Macdonald abuses the privileg
Absolutely savage

>2001 and Interstellar are devoid of substance amirite?

Exactly.

The 20s and 30s gave birth to some of the most warmfelting works of visual art so he was absolutely right.

>Balet Mecanique
>Berlin: Symphony of a Metropolis
>Napoleon
>The Phantom Carriage
>Anemic Cinema
>Rhytmus 21
>The Last Laugh
>Metropolis
>Man With A Movie Camera
>Regen
>An Optical Poem

The reason why cinema stopped being excellent after that period of blooming creativity is in the end pretty simple. Geniuses. They dont come out every year. It takes some time and circunstances. I surely hope someday we'll get to see a film as great as these again.

>2001:the march of man from feral ape to cosmic ubermensch
>Interstellar= le love conkers all XD

Don't even compare them

Oh shit millenials BTFO

Manchildren have existed throughout history; good to know.

Hmm, and everything he said above is correct. But that means...oh no...

Jesus fucking christ, you are a pleb. Have you ever seen any 50s movies besides those? It was in the 50s that classical filmmaking reached it's zenith before it was deconstructed by the french and other experimentalists in the early 60s, very late 50s, which lead the way for New Hollywood.

It's the same thing people would say today except replace the 20s and 30s with the 70s and 80s as the good ole' days.

Thanks for giving me another word to filter!

>grammar mistake in the first sentence

I'm triggered

In a cold way, it's almost reassuring to know that mass culture has been turning people into adult children for decades now, since it means that we're not quite as fucked as I thought we were. Although If he thinks adults watching The Lone Ranger are bad, he'd have an aneurism over the amount of people who actively mold their entire identity around stuff like capeshit

you see them as geniuses because they are behind this layer of mister now they are long dead. In 90 years time J.J. Abrams and Zach Snyder will be on a greentext list on some other faggy holo-imageboard

mystery that should say