I am interested to hear what Sup Forums thinks of this guy

I am interested to hear what Sup Forums thinks of this guy.

strawpoll.me/10593643

Please be honest when it comes to the third option. I am also curious how many people here even know who he is or what he did.

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptome.org/
cryptome.org/nsa-ussid18-80.htm#SECTION 5
youtube.com/watch?v=1DS2wXSKF5k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't respond to strawpol because i actually understand interweb security.

Snowman was a plant. He probably thought he was doing good. But his bosses let him do it. He released almost no new info.

William binney was far higher than snowden and ge had released much of the same info years before.

And the thing he is famous for "uncovering" was known to everyone who wasn't retarded. In 2002 the efff sued at&t which put into the public record that there were data recorders at the large public interchanges. The bush administration admitted to the exact spying snowman suposeedly uncovered twice.

But for some reason the major media picked up snowman.

I agree that he didn't reveal anything that couldn't already be learned or ascertained by reading disparate news articles or following the right sources. However, he still brought mass surveillance to the mainstream.

I don't understand how you say he was a plant, is there anything to back up that claim?

>snowden

>panama papers

>brexit

all of these horrible tragedies CHANGED THE WORLD

He was cia and if he was a super smart haxor he wouldn't have focused on the shit that had been public record since 2002.

My guess is he was steered but thiught he was doing good. The very way he gained acess proves he was no mastermind. And the info he stole was kargely inconsequential.

In my opinion the "conspiracy theorists" like myself were making too big a dent so they decided on a structured release.

It made snowden a hero and normies thought it was all brand new. When i had been talking about it and being kaughed at as a conspiracy theorist since 2002.

The founders of Cryptome.org said a while ago that it was bad that the Glenn Greenwald group has seemingly been trying to cash in on Snowden's story. Essentially, Ed's first interview stated that he didn't want it to be about him, yet here we are, where we are still asking questions about SNOWDEN and not about the leaks. The Joseph Gordon Levitt film is coming out soon. Last year, a big ass documentary came out. It's been about Ed for far too long, and that's suspicious. Just look at how many talks on YouTube there are where he is a featured guest.

Speaking of leaks, another Cryptome point is that they are happening at a glacial pace.

cryptome.org/

It's been almost 20 days since the last page update on June 7th, with 6,697 pages released. 3 years have passed and not even 1/8 of 58,000 (at least) pages have been released. If Snowden was concerned about getting this information out to the public, he would not be giving such a huge monopoly over their release to just one paper (i.e. The Guardian).

I used to think he was a hero. Now I think he's letting this become more and more about him, and that's not good.

And yet Normies still submit themselves to Google, Facebook, and Apple, among others like Microsoft. I think he tried to warn everyone, but only the reasonably smart people have taken notice (who weren't ahead of the curve like you people), and have made the necessary adjustments. At least the elite have been saved.

CIA asset/10
He should be gutted and hung from a flag pole by his intestines for attempting to subvert the IC to complete CIA control.

Total traitor. Doesn't mean he didn't have good intentions. But some of the most heretical, treasonous decisions have been made with good intentions.

Honestly a lot of what he revealed was common sense.

Anybody who calls this man a traitor is a shill. It is every citizen's duty to be as well informed as possible about what goes on behind closed doors. Less information is never good.

Shame on you, American. A subject of the queen has better sense than you do.

You realize he was a controlled leak, right?

Yes he went to russia and china not to sell military secrets but for their human rights records

1. He went to Hong Kong. Hong Kong is not PRC. He did this before he blew up in order to speak with the journalists.

2. He did not go to Russia. He got stuck in Russia because the US cancelled his passport before he could get to a place with real asylum.

The more you know, tampon.

It's more accurate to call him a traitor than a hero, that's for sure. I appreciate concrete proof of certain US programs and international collusion, but most of the stuff was understood to be going on. His method of releasing information was also done haphazardly.

If you are hitting "Hero" you should probably be pushing "I don't know enough about him to make an informed decision."

He warned me of nothing. People like me knew since 2002. IFF vs AT&T.

We always knew.

You didn't read my post. I said that he woke up people who are smart enough to respond but for whatever reason were not aware of it, such as myself, who were only 6 years old in 2002 and not in any sort of politically aware environment.

For people like you, he made no difference. For people like me, it was an awakening of sorts.

Why is that.

>sitting on plum 200k a year job which he got through nepotism
>future prospects without nepotism = none
>previous job: cleaner
>muh morals n shit
>traitor

This cunt should fucking hang.

>Why is that.

Because he revealed classified information that has weakened the ability of the Intelligence Community to perform it's duties.

He's another bum living at the airport

>For people like me, it was an awakening of sorts.
>Thanks CIA for telling me what that nasty NSA is doing while not bringing to light any of the negatives that you do.

>Because he revealed classified information that has weakened the ability of the Intelligence Community to perform it's duties.
No he didnt, he fucked all of the IC save the CIA which wasnt hampered in the least by his "leaks."

Late. He lives in either a cabin or a hotel room or some shit. I don't care, nor should anyone.

Like spying on our greatest allies and fellow citizens.

rare dumb aussie. mainstream media got you cucked

Wow youre right, prc has no influence in hongkong

Also noone outside of south america would offer him asylum, euros scared shitless and sea aint gonna do shit
Of course he could have just leaked it legally to the entire congress, but that doesnt get you shekels.

>Like spying on our greatest allies

Do you really not believe that every country is spying on every other country to the best of their ability?

>and fellow citizens.

Do you really believe that the NSA would waste it's resources spying on someone who is not a threat to the US or it's citizens?

He worked in the NSA. Are you implying he's from the CIA? Because if you are, it shows how little you actually know about this and gives me a reason not to waste my time debating with you.

The point is that if you get even a sliver of information that your government does not actually have your best interests at heart, even for just a small piece of it, you start to question the whole thing and look more into it, into all parts, not just the NSA or CIA or USDA or EPA etc., on your own, if one is mart enough to do that.

What did he mean by this?

shame on you

Can't tell which side he means. No matter the outcome, nobody should care what Snowden has to say anymore because he supposedly did his duty and stated outright that that was all he wanted to do.

I didn't say no influence. I said that they were not equivalent. He states in his first interview that it was a much freer state compared to China, but the US could still "pay off the Triads" and get him. I'm aware that he only received asylum from some place in SA, where he was headed.

He couldn't have leaked it to Congress because congress was in on it and would have suppressed him. James Clapper lied to Congress and did not receive punishment.

Who says they're wasting resources. The data collection is efficient.

you are mistaken newfriend, he is pathetic and a bluepilled cuck and he threw his life away for no reason.

200k a year and all he had to do was shut the fuck up like everyone else.

Back to 8ch, troll.

>He worked in the NSA.
No he didnt not, he worked for a shitty private contractor doing work for the NSA. His job before working there though was CIA sys admin.

If you bothered to look through the "leaks" he has made everything was known and none of the information damaged the CIA. The only time "leaks" like that have occurred in the past is when they came from the CIA to damage other IC groups.

You pro Snowden people are the dumbest fucks in the world.

But before leak people told you to go take your meds when you said what goes on.
Now they ain't laughing and telling jokes about meds.

>Who says they're wasting resources. The data collection is efficient.

Yes it is efficient. But simply collecting data does not do anyone any good. Someone has to sift through all of this data and determine if a person should be investigated or not.

If you subscribe to the idea that the NSA is constantly spying on everyone in the US then that would mean their analysts would need to dig through information collected daily on over 300 million people.

Do you think that is possible?

Why don't you go ahead and read through this cryptome.org/nsa-ussid18-80.htm#SECTION 5

I hope fortune cookies are one day filled with the wisdom of an uneducated Paultard.

This.

I'm sure you don't mind him shutting up and following along, not listening to his conscience, because you have nothing to lose from him doing so. You are not American. You don't understand.

>pathetic bluepilled cuck

Not an argument. Source or silence, mate.

That's right, my mistake, I misspoke. What you said is more accurate, that he worked as a contractor doing work for the NSA.

I never made the claim that his leaks were damaging. You should tell the people in this thread claiming otherwise that they weren't. And as for everything being "known", that doesn't mean it was widely accepted or even recognized. Not everyone has been around as long as you have.

>You pro Snowden people are the dumbest fucks in the world.

define pro Snowden.

>Leaked a bunch of shit
>Didn't change anything other than confirming that the people saying the NSA was spying on everyone was right (again)
>Trying to act like a political commentator while hiding in Russia
>Left leaning
He's a traitor.

He has had his fame and got the ball rolling.

He's no longer significant and there's no need to chase him down - the stuff he did reveal wasn't bad enough to cause any trouble for any nation, just for individuals.

I don't know, the people that think Assange stood more of a chance of being extradited to the US in Sweden than the UK are pretty good competition.

>Yes it is efficient. But simply collecting data does not do anyone any good. Someone has to sift through all of this data and determine if a person should be investigated or not.

Exactly. Everyone here is reading way too much into my posts. The collection is efficient but the actual spying is horribly inefficient. I've hear people claim that these programs haven't stopped even one terrorist attack. I don't know how true that is, but it speaks to how much time is wasted in bulk data collection and not specific targeting, which Snowden is all in favor of.

>define pro Snowden.
Anyone who supports him in any fashion. What he did wasnt brave, moral or even caring, he was doing the job his CIA handlers gave him to make other agencies look worse in comparison. If you had any historical literacy about the history of the US IC you would know that the only time "leaks" like this occur is when the CIA wants them to.

But nope, you have people saying that this CIA asset helped and that he exposed the big bad govt, he did nothing of the sort unless you are the quintessential useful idiot.

luck of the draw. he was programmed just like the other whistleblower, except he didn't get waterboarded into trans.

The normal abuses one should expect of unrestrained spying are industrial espionage and undermining inconvenient political adversaries.

He's CIA discrediting NSA.

The drip drop release to leftist news agencies is a dead giveaway. CIA excel at narrative.

He's a traitor and Russian collaborationist. Whatever he gave the FSB gave them enough clout to invade Ukraine and steal Crimea.

No one will believe you because no one in this thread is historically literate about this subject.

absolute hero

Source, please. I'm willing to listen to you if you can provide even a shadow of doubt that he acted from his own imperative. Otherwise you are nothing more than a conspiracyfag.

Same goes for you.

normal=/=permissible/acceptable

THIS

>Source, please.
>I have literally never looked into the history of the CIA, can you please teach me in easy to digest bullet points because reading or doing research myself is hard
Good god.

>m willing to listen to you if you can provide even a shadow of doubt that he acted from his own imperative.
Look into the subject yourself, if you dont understand how easy this is to deduce based on his actions much less his previous work experience then there is no hope for you.

>Otherwise you are nothing more than a conspiracyfag
>conspiracyfag
So you dont know the history of the CIA but you can use their words just fine, interesting.

>The collection is efficient but the actual spying is horribly inefficient.

It's not though. Ask yourself why the government would devote so much time and money to these programs if they are as inefficient as some people would have you believe?

>I've hear people claim that these programs haven't stopped even one terrorist attack.

You never will because when information like that gets out it makes it easier for our enemies to figure out how their friends got caught and subsequently develop better ways to attack us.

>specific targeting

We already do this. But how do you propose we identify individuals that are a potential threat? The most efficient and basically only way to do this is bulk collection.

Ukraine nuclear disarmament and the cultural makeup of the region gave Russia Crimea. If they wanted to deal with non-Russian terrorists for the next one-hundred years, then they could take the entire thing, because no one's getting into a nuclear war for Ukraine.

Pretty much everybody understood that their government was spying on them anyway. Snowden just forced us to acknowledge that and pushed this infringement on the public's privacy into the mainstream. For that, he's a hero.

triple cover sleeper agent for NSA

dude made a lot of sense at first but the backpedaling makes zero sense considering he 'threw his life away' and CIA want him dead.

suprised if russia don't suspect this

>You never will because when information like that gets out it makes it easier for our enemies to figure out how their friends got caught and subsequently develop better ways to attack us.
I would be shocked if the programs stopped a single attack as most terrorist attacks in the US are straight up FBI stings.

But I digress, the way the programs are set up are not to monitor foreign nationals, they seem to be set up to monitor citizens and allies the most as there are already many programs to monitor the rest of the world.

The guy is a hero, I don't care what hypocrites here say. Snowden exposed truth and helped us all. People say he is a traitor and thats true. But he is a traitor to a corrupt tyranny of autism. Not his people.

Traitor.

Kek. That's what I thought.

how do you know he's not working for the svr rf or least being manipulated by the russians? assange himself has many connections to russia and it's strange that wikileaks would not release any significant leaks that had to do with russian intelligence

>Snowden
He is a Dota player or what?

129 votes for Hero
61 votes for traitor
40 I don't knows

cucks btfo

also,

>1 post by this ID

honestly its a mixture of both, a hero for revealing the data for sure but...

This post was meant for

>most terrorist attacks in the US are straight up FBI stings.

What do you mean by this?

>programs are set up are not to monitor foreign nationals, they seem to be set up to monitor citizens

Read the link in this post .

It doesn't really matter. He didn't save this country and he didn't hurt it. The government is so gutted and ineffective at this point, that nothing Snowden released has nearly as much influence on the security and direction of this nation as many claim. If anything he merely compounded what was already deteriorating to the point of no return.

Most of what he revealed has been common knowledge. The media have been running a gangbang circus around Snowden for years, because it plays right into their agenda to weaken the United States internally and abroad.

Any terrorists familiar with craft were already ahead of the game when Snowden went rogue.

None of those. Because none of it matters

This is probably a shill because it's always about dividing people against each other and making them choose a side so it results in fighting and unintelligent discussion

>implying the US doesn't want to be weak

youtube.com/watch?v=1DS2wXSKF5k

>no option for "He's a hero but still needs to be prosecuted for violating the law."

He's already being /persecuted/.

He's a hero because he didn't get caught. You must like your heroes to be caught. Sad!

>What do you mean by this?
What does it sound like to you? It means that almost all of the domestic terrorist attacks that the FBI stops are just people they propped up, provided the weapons or explosives too then didnt tell them that they are inert and they arrest them at the date, time and location they told the people to attack.

>its too much data for humans to sift through so it must not be useful.
The NSA has two quantum computers. They are so far away from other agencies in terms of technology that when they dont need satellites anymore they sell them to NASA for one dollar they they are 20 years ahead of all of NASA's imaging satellites in use or even in prototyping.

traitor, obvious traitor.

If he wanted whistleblower status he could have just taken PRISM and walked it right up to CNN. Then walked right over to the FBI building, turned himself in and get his day at court.

The courts ruled it unconstitutional. He'd have been found not guilty.

Instead he stole WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more and told everyone how our spies do their job and what tools they use. WE PAY THEM TO DO THAT. WE PAY THEM TO SPY ON FOREIGN COUNTRIES AND THEIR DIGNITARIES

He is a hardcore traitor that needs to be put to the sword.

No, NSA is not part of NRO and NGA anymore.

>exposes the full reach of Big Brother
>we spy on our closest allies and our own citizens
>this is okay and he needs to die for it
k

The only sad part about all this is everyone already forgot about it.

Yes, user, you spy on your closest allies so that you know what they are doing, and what their politicians can be blackmailed with by foreign enemies.
They in turn spy on you for the same reason.

>No, NSA is not part of NRO and NGA anymore.
They all answer to the same people and share staff. While they are separate budget line items to say that they are unrelated is disingenuous in the extreme.

>What does it sound like to you? It means that almost all of the domestic terrorist attacks that the FBI stops are just people they propped up, provided the weapons or explosives too then didnt tell them that they are inert and they arrest them at the date, time and location they told the people to attack.

Why do they do this?

>The NSA has two quantum computers. They are so far away from other agencies in terms of technology that when they dont need satellites anymore they sell them to NASA for one dollar they they are 20 years ahead of all of NASA's imaging satellites in use or even in prototyping.

So these super computers can determine if a person is planning an attack on US citizens? What do they do? How do they work?

>programs are set up are not to monitor foreign nationals, they seem to be set up to monitor citizens
>cryptome.org/nsa-ussid18-80.htm#SECTION 5

Did you read it?

I'm not going to call him a hero or a traitor, he's a little SJW fag that ran off to Russia and almost certainly shared sensitive info with them. Our surveillance of the rest of the world is not unusual or criminal and is not a matter of their "privacy." It's their own governments faults if they don't protect their citizens.

As for the domestic surveillance, I'm happy to be vindicated on what a lot of us already suspected, but I won't call him a hero for it after the crap he pulled. And look - nobody cares. Nothing changed. People may not call you tinfoil anymore, but most of them aren't trying to stop it. The most we can hope for is to direct the system at our real enemies again and not let it slide into a despotic SJW's wet dream of jailing people who say nigger online.

Wrong you fuck faced moron. YES WE SPY ON FOREIGN FUCKING COUNTRIES.

Germany isn't a fucking close ally you ignorant little shit. We have military bases in their god damn country that they are not allowed to kick us out of because they tried to murder everybody. They regularly do business with Russia. You are a fucking idiot that doesn't have a god damn clue.

PRISM was found to be unconstituional. HE SHOULDN'T DIE FOR THAT. I clearly stated that but your failure to fucking read because you are a fucking monkey kept that from entering your brain.

He could have easily allowed himself to be arrested, had his whistleblower status maintained from the courts and be a free man walking around.

Instead he stole huge amounts of data and sabotaged Americas work overseas.

If you think he is not a traitor, you need your fucking head examined.

he would have been tried by military tribunal maybe or some other extra-constitutional body. they would have fucked him anyway they could.

They all fall under the ODNI sure. Those guys have way, way, way more customers than the NSA though. They're mainly there for DoD.

>Why do they do this?
To justify funding, same reason the ATF did Waco.

>So these super computers can determine if a person is planning an attack on US citizens?
They can go though the archived data much faster and break encryption without the need for years worth of compute time being wasted on it.

>How do they work?
TS/SCI

>Did you read it?
Yes, now why should I care when the accepted way of doing things in IC has been "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

No, it's been done successfully before..

NRO is mainly there for the CIA launches actually, you can tell when its a CIA launch as there is never any payload information, just launch date and time.

when

He is not a hero and not a traitor.
He is just a very stupid man who lost a good job and ended his comfortable life to reveal something everyone knew already.

FAITH IN Sup Forums: +36700

>He is just a very stupid man who lost a good job and ended his comfortable life to reveal something Sup Forums knew already.

ftfy

he was a pawn to get people used to it

they have been spying on us since before everyone had internet

>To justify funding

So the FBI is doing this to get funding from the government? So the government doesn't know about it I'm assuming?

>They can go though the archived data much faster and break encryption without the need for years worth of compute time being wasted on it.

Ok, so what is your point?

>Yes, now why should I care

I am inclined to believe you did not because if you had you would know it is illegal to spy on US citizens without a warrant. Your clearance would be revoked in a heartbeat, you would lose your job, and possibly go to prison.

>not a traitor.
Like what he did our not, he's literally a traitor.

>I am inclined to believe you did not because if you had you would know it is illegal to spy on US citizens without a warrant.
Sure has worked well so far, as I stated above, the current mantra is about forgiveness of indiscretions after the fact, not about asking before the action.

>Ok, so what is your point?
>I dont understand why having a faster computer handle the data would make it easier to make use of

>So the FBI is doing this to get funding from the government? So the government doesn't know about it I'm assuming?
thickness/10

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about do you?

You must be trolling.

>I have complete faith that the govt will follow its own rules even though history is indicative that this isnt the case
>I dont understand the implications of the vast technological gap that these organizations make use of when compared to the general public.
>I have never looked into the history of govt orgs manipulating the public to gain more funding
>I genuinely believe that the govt has our best interests at heart and that they will not do their absolute best to bend or break the rules if they know they wont be caught

The begining of the end was when the NSA replace all of their sun micro-system boxes with straight off the shelf lenovos to save money while not caring at all about security, that act was patently illegal but it was still allowed to happen and after they got away with it they never stopped pushing the envelope to see how much further they could get.