/prod/ - Music Production General

The Art of Mixing Edition

Previous /prod/ thread: GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based Sound Design)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:
>David Gibson - The Art of Mixing
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

Attached: the art of mixing.png (384x325, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/nrchjgpo
youtube.com/watch?v=7gfItwH3LKQ
clyp.it/dk4k1p31
clyp.it/0ekutdyl
discord.gg/JpcEpgt
clyp.it/3h51vqz1
rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/21/rare-musical-scales-the-next-episode-or-how-to-design-your-own-scales-music-theory-tutorial/
rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/musical-scales/
rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/how-to-make-your-mix-extra-punchy-and-present-while-preserving-definition-and-dynamic-range-extensive-tutorial/
rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/how-to-become-a-sophisticated-and-unique-artist-a-guide-to-creativity/
rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/equalizing-technique/
rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/explanation-on-terms-used-in-music-production-make-better-music-now-and-basically-win-at-life/
youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA
clyp.it/qe3ai1ib
clyp.it/gn4xlojv
clyp.it/peti0sob
clyp.it/y2lkurux
clyp.it/nu5duyye
clyp.it/kvy5em1f
clyp.it/vkvkn43q
clyp.it/4p2bpmh3
clyp.it/tlebx51r
clyp.it/1x54srjz
clyp.it/hwd3s4r5
clyp.it/icf3wakm
clyp.it/rmbhbosz
clyp.it/tmhpourb
clyp.it/221f0ciy
clyp.it/qh5kenqw
picosong.com/wYBSa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck Sammy edition

ok so i revamped my original mix and added a few new elements.
the entire delay/reverb system has been overhauled, separating the highs/mids/lows into different delays and 'verbs, allowing for more back/front depth
the swelling synth drone now has a high-passed fuzzy texture to it, and has been toned down to let some of the other elements through
i also added some clean bass "drops" since the low end was a bit lacking, but they ended up being about 3db too loud once rendered

some ideas for what to add:
>synthesized "oohs" and "aahs" to complement the main synth line using a formant filter
>delayed hi-hat "droplets" to complement the delayed chord hits in the background
>some sort of french horn sound emerging from the mix during some of the crescendos and soloing its own little melody, reminiscent of miles davis' improv style
>some pink noise with automated filter and panning for more "swooshy-ness"

any thoughts?
clyp.it/nrchjgpo

original post (has a link to the first mix if you wanna compare)

Attached: 4.jpg (2560x1540, 2.11M)

can anyone tip me off to the preset (ableton / logic / massive / serum, any of those four) that makes the sparkly 80s keyboard sound that comes in at 0:17
youtube.com/watch?v=7gfItwH3LKQ

Pls help bros.

>thats like saying "this chef recommends his steaks medium well instead of rare, what a fuckin idiot, im pissed now"
No you absolute moron, it's more like saying "the chef made a delicious steak and decided to put ketchup on it, and singe the two don't fit together, the end result is ruined".

I like the ambition but I feel as if the band separation idea would come from somebody who doesn't know how to use reverb well lol. It sounds nice but I don't think everything is meshing the way it should. Birds are too upfront, drone is too bright, bass is.... loud and too regular

Didn't listen to all that shit but I skipped through. I'd say tone it back and work on making the track evolve, it's pretty boring as is

Find old school electric piano samples or make some fm key sounds in whatever you got . Make it yourself fag

How do I make 808s not sound like shit?

fuck u cunt gibe preset

How do I make synths not sound like shit?

fuck you

HEY user
do me
clyp.it/dk4k1p31

Okay I guess

Vary the time of the snares (early and late)

Make the wubby rough thing rougher and more jarring by printing the rest of the track and ducking when the wubby hits... or sidechain if you're lazy. I say print because there should be some glitchies in there too. Cool start man

The Bass guitar takes you out of it, would be better if it were a plain synth bass, and nowhere near as dynamic.

Like the other guy said its' pleasant enough but boring, like a backing track. You need a point of interest, the best ambient tracks have that. The bass is too loud in places, just emphasising that. Too many fucking birds.

Thirteenth for discord drama

How do I deal with all of the audio clips in FL every time I record a track? Am I supposed to use something else to save my recordings?

Kek

Archon is a fucking retarded faggot nigger,
and we need to start a new discord server

>Everyone on Sup Forums is autistic and unstable
>The person running the /prod/ discord is from Sup Forums
I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up...

how do i make claps not sound bad?
clyp.it/0ekutdyl

I suck at counterpoint
pls halp
what are easy tricks to easily make a counterpoint from a melody?
thx

Attached: dr-octagon-5061c2cef342d.jpg (1000x1000, 772K)

discord.gg/JpcEpgt

join the /prod/ discord server

can anyone tell me what genre this is
clyp.it/3h51vqz1

soundgoodizer + reverb + EQ + waveshaper
soundgoodizer + EQ + waveshaper
layers + soundgoodizer + reverb + EQ + waveshaper

Attached: cymothoaexigua.jpg (400x300, 49K)

Yesterday I posted a list of advises for producers and artists I found, this completely made up my mind

rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/21/rare-musical-scales-the-next-episode-or-how-to-design-your-own-scales-music-theory-tutorial/

rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/musical-scales/

rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/how-to-make-your-mix-extra-punchy-and-present-while-preserving-definition-and-dynamic-range-extensive-tutorial/

rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/how-to-become-a-sophisticated-and-unique-artist-a-guide-to-creativity/

rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/equalizing-technique/

rmss12.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/explanation-on-terms-used-in-music-production-make-better-music-now-and-basically-win-at-life/

I've recently been applying subtle filtered stereo delay to my final stereo bus before mastering and have enjoyed the results

what are some negatives of doing this?

does it sound worse?

How did they even get that sound at the very beginning? youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA

I've been trying to figure out how to replicate it and it's been bugging the hell out of me for years, it's so damn catchy.

One user said it sound like steel drums with a bunch of effects wacked on top.

Take a bunch of drum loops. cut out 1 bar loops. Layer them and apply distortion, compression, reverb, what you like.
Pro tip make one loop 6/4 and you get ever evolving polyrhythm.

thanks for the input

hello boys. are we doing fsr still?
can we make fsr a weekly/bi-weekly thing instead of a threadly thing?

the sound design part alone takes awhile.

please applaud my master tracks
clyp.it/qe3ai1ib
clyp.it/gn4xlojv

how to make that lush effect that comes before the actual sound? reverse reverb?

is there anything wrong with editing the tracks with the master effects on?

>heuhe i put one guitar in one ear and one in the other! stereo image! master track
the drums sounded less forced tho

Geez, don't pretend it's not your own website because factually nobody knows about it... get a regular domain, son, this subdomain shit is sketchy af

>this subdomain shit is sketchy af
wouldn't it be easier to get people to click on your website if it's a subdomain of a trusted/reputable domain?
sure having your own domain would make it easier for people to remember it, but i'd rather click on a wordpress site than a link to some site i've never heard of.

Hey /prod/ how can I choose which tempo suites the song .. I made this one and both speeds sounds well to me.

Please suggest any improvements if there's any too.

clyp.it/peti0sob
clyp.it/y2lkurux

i couldn't really decide whether to use a bass guitar sound or have the bass swell and crescendo with the synth. ended up going with this sound cus it gave it some variation. i'll see if i can add a synth bass to the mix and relegate the current plucked bass to some sort of background harmonic element
sorry lads but i'm keepin the birbs. maybe i'll have them come in later and drop out earlier and use them as some sort of climactic element

thank 4 tips tho

My ableton 9 live lite won't recognise my VST plugins - it only sees about 3 of them where there should be close to 100.

for me I have to re authorize and rescan sometimes after installing new plugins maybe you should try that

I would do the exact opposite because wordpress sites are generic as fuck

I tried re-scanning. I don't have any authorization because these are all free VSTs. What a shitty program.

no im talking about authorizing ableton not the vst

go to preferences and click reauthorize and next time you scan they should show up

can a real hood nigga spit some bars on this lets get it niggas 100 on 4chain haha fuck whitey
clyp.it/nu5duyye

Attached: 1503705195830.png (660x506, 638K)

Yeah, I think making it its own thread would be much better, but m not really sure that Anons would be assed to bump it (especially in the beginning while everyone is still working).

Perhaps we could make one each monday (or any other day) and every new thread about it will have the samples from the first of the week, and next monday we roll again.

clyp.it/kvy5em1f

Trying to polish off this remix. Can you guys give me some feedback? The intro still needs a ton of work.

Re-authorized Live and rescanned, still showing only 3 VSTs. This is the industry standard? What a pile of fucking garbage.

>This is the industry standard?
its actually a giant piece of shit imo

wow an underutilized nelly sample really reinventing the wheel here lad

seth rich died for this

maybe you have the wrong bit version of plugins or ableton installed though is another reason it wouldn't show if you are trying to put 32bit vst in 64bit live it will not show up

Check which folder is set in the settings (near the rescan button) and see if that folder contains all the vsts.

You might have installed Ableton and the plugins in different architectures. They all have to be either x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit).
If you' ve installed x86 plugins and x64 Ableton you need a bridge (like jbridge), and if you did the opposite you'll have to reinstall either.

Or you might have installed the VST3 version, which is not supported.

its just a remix for fun

is it really that bad? i find it catchy

>when you want to be a rap producer but never talked to a black person before

Attached: 1516855254428.jpg (313x313, 12K)

it is good

clyp.it/vkvkn43q

>tfw moving from audacity to garageband because barely figured out how to use the amp plugins on garageband
>can't figure out how to edit sounds to make beats or anything

how do you pitchshift or change the speed of stuff on garageband, explain it like i'm a retard because i am obviously

take out that swirley noise and paste it into a different instrument maybe a flute. copy and paste until it's longer. congrats you just made the 3rd best clyp in the thread my man

you should read the manual it will be faster than the chance some user comes in and helps

so i was recording some stuff on cubase and the bottom track, which is the higher voice, is out of sync and i dont know why. i played in time but the actual recording is not? whats going on??
clyp.it/4p2bpmh3

Attached: Capture.png (1556x481, 87K)

what an entitled faggot, those guitars are very well processed and the drum track sounds epic.

My mixes use impulse reverbs recorded at the Vienna Hall. Can you keep up with that /prod/?

Shit. You're telling me Live doesn't support all versions of VST yet? What a mess.

fuck off

telling people this makes it sound like you don't know what an exciter or return track is... or how to master at all

>clyp.it/3h51vqz1
> what genre this is

you must be joking or delusional lol

lol nobody cared about it

you're still ass sorry

i don't understand what you get out of boasting in these threads? i'm starting to think you really are just trolling lol.

no not really

a lot of people wouldn't recommend it but i would keep it to any compression/limiting at most

lol not even in 10?
:(

I wouldn't worry about no vst3

even if the plugin devs make a vst3 version they always don't work correctly like izotope vst3 have an issue where they do not export automation so theres no point in even using it

*listens to music through iphone speaker*

in hip hop drums should be on top of everything else
t. rap pro

'sgood my fellow black niggaas sketit
clyp.it/tlebx51r

Attached: fellow white.png (379x556, 438K)

Is there a way to add pedal effects to my guitar track after recording or after in-DAW effects like EQ? I'm using FL

FL should have typical pedal type effects such as delay, reverb, chorus etc which you put at the end of the effects chain. There are also guitar amp sims which you can get.

clyp.it/1x54srjz

Dunno what to think of this, any glaring flaws?

sounds like the init preset on arturias dx7 emulation. sounds like a pretty standard dx7 sound, look into dx7 patches and you should be able to work out how to make the patch with operator

can anyone r8 this
clyp.it/hwd3s4r5

Yeah, but I want to use my physical reverb pedal. Can I send the track to FL, send it out to my hardware, then put it back into the mix?

Having your own domain makes you look professional and shows that you're committed to it, as well as legally accountable (since it's supposedly tied to your real name).
A generic free blog on Wordpress or Blogger can be made for free by anyone, and you just need a proxy to avoid any trouble in case you do something sketchy, so it's much easier to do blackhat shit with it (as opposed to a tld where you need a fake identity).

Gay/10
That record scratching got old after five seconds, movie quotes are lame

Send it out if your interface dumb n00b

Preferably with a reamp box

for the ghibli fans,

thanks in advance
clyp.it/icf3wakm

anyone wanna share some tips on trying to isolate vocals from a track?

I've tried my hand at it and gotten some decent results, but it's just way too quiet and gets lost in the mix. you can barely hear the part i've "isolated" vs a cut that i haven't started to work on yet which just blows out everything else

clyp.it/rmbhbosz

i use IR's recorded in a cave in new mexico. bet you feel like a pleb now

>strumming is ass
>drums are echoey and loose as fuck
>composition is ass
>mix is ass
kill yourself

>what is ass about the strumming
>he doesnt like reverb
>mix of 1 instrument

sounds stiff

tfw recorded like 9 guitar tracks varying mic positioning and amp settings and now can't choose which ones to use

hey guys listen to my garbage and tell me if i should quit or keep trying to make music thanks i will also give feed back if wanted :)

clyp.it/tmhpourb

>what is ass about the strumming
it's off-time and the accents are fucked
>he doesnt like reverb
not when you use it like a retard
>mix of 1 instrument
yeah and that one instrument sounds like you just took the recording and slapped some reverb on it and called it a day
oh and learn to greentext you colossal faggot

hey thanks

clyp.it/221f0ciy

it's alright, you've got an ear for picking sounds and your composition skills are good, even if the track is a little generic. i like the switch-up in the middle but you should introduce a new element otherwise it's boring. i'm thinking a slower melody played by a high pitched synth like the one from the gta san andreas theme song (yeah THAT one)

the mix is ass though. the melody is too wide and the pad behind it is not wide enough. to add width naturally, try using a 10-30ms ping pong delay, or a Haas plugin. to remove width you can just use an M/S matrix and turn down the S fader.
the kick is too punchy and the snare isn't punchy enough. turn the kick down and low pass it gently. saturate the snare with some distortion, and layer it with a low-midrange knock
the hats are way too loud and need to be sent to the back of the mix. turn them down, and use a transient shaper to turn down the attack a little bit
this is down to taste but i would slap a short delay and bright 2-3 second reverb on the vocal sample

also experiment with reverbs to add more space to your mix. as a rule of thumb:
>percussion = bright, short plate reverb, 0.2 - 1 seconds
>pads = dark, longer hall/chamber reverb, 1-4 seconds
>melodies = room/chamber reverb, length and brightness depends on the melody so fuck around and see what sounds best

keep trying dude. also you can give feedback on my track if you want, i could use another ear.

>two days
yeah that explains a lot

/r/ genuine criticism
clyp.it/qh5kenqw

I want to imagine Sammy is actually some famous artist who for some reason gets a kick out recording songs terribly and then insisting that they're amazing just to fuck with /prod/

That's somehow less sad

I have no knowledge on how to do the things you told me to do because I p much just pick the sounds from alchemy and omnishere, and the drums from kits i find online and the mixing is p much none existent because i only use the stock plug ins that come with logic pro x, i seriously appreciate your feedback im like super deppressed and this made me feel really good, and im the vocal sample btw.

I heard your track btw and it gave me anxiety in a good way, idk what you were going for but what i heard was super atmospheric and made me feel like i was in a large space with translucent birds around me and light trails like some sort of in between dimension, im a basic bitch so i was waiting for like drums n shit like that, sounds dope tho and the mixing was super clear to me and the bass was really good too :)

/r/ genuine criticism
picosong.com/wYBSa/

is it really sounding bad or these anons are trolling?
picosong.com/wYBSa/

oh right, well just screenshot my comment for now. it's basic to intermediate level stuff, you'll understand when you're a little further into the hobby.
the stock plugins on logic are decent but they're a little basic imo. i recommend pirating a few plugin bundles too, it's easier to understand when they visualise what's happening with the sound. I recommend the Fabfilter pro bundle and kiloHearts bundle. they're pretty basic plugins, and both companies use a minimalist UI that makes it really easy to learn what you're doing.

honestly dude, learning to produce will be one of the most frustrating yet rewarding hobbies you'll ever undertake. making music is one thing, but actually sculpting it into a product that rivals that of established professionals is the best high in the world.
there are moments when you'll feel like your stuff is garbage and you'll never reach the same skill level as the artists you look up to, but one day you'll end up making something so good that it gives you goosebumps. you know that orgasmic feeling when a melody or a chord hits you JUST RIGHT and you get insane tingles all over? imagine what it feels like to know it's YOUR OWN MUSIC that did that. i'll give you a clue it's fucking spectacular.

don't give up no matter how shit you sound. there is absolutely nothing stopping you from getting better every day. i honestly believe there is no such thing as talent. it's hard work, patience, dedication and a genuine love for what you do that gets results.

thank you so much

You know it's bad sounding fuck off

I hope you are making noise rock user

it sounds clean to me

is 20% wet on each track, too much reverb?

ive never used cubase but, check for buffer or latency in the audio settings and the settings of the driver you have selected