What are some horror movies worth watching?

What are some horror movies worth watching?
Why is the horror genre so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6NcoIPsPs1Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

horror movies are mostly bad because they can be successful without being good

that being said, these are good

>The Shining
>It Follows
>The Blair Witch Project
>Candyman

It's the best genre.

The Shining
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
Evil Dead
Martyrs
Wicker Man (original)
Bride Of Frankenstein
Exorcist 3
Maniac (remake)
Freaks

Why are horror movies so popular among young black women?

I see "i luv scary movies" a lot on Tinder. What is it about this genre that speaks to them?

I recently got around to watching The VVitch. Sup Forums seems divided on it, but it creeped the shit out of me. Slept with the lights on that night

I really liked the VVitch but was also disappointed. It had the right atmosphere, idea, characters, etc. yet it just fell short of being a horror classic. I blame some of the neverending old english rambling throughout the middle part of the film. The first and last 15 minutes of the movie are amazing.

>What are some horror movies worth watching?
Depends on what kind of horror movies you like

>Why is the horror genre so bad?

Its a very open ended genre, that has a stupid amount of movies in it.

Train to Busan was pretty good for a fairly standard zombie story

The Ring

I've heard some good things about Don't Breathe. Anyone see that shizz?

>horror movies are mostly bad because they can be successful without being good
So they're like hookers?

TJ Hooker was not a movie, it was a TV show. And it wasnt even a Horror

Alien? Thing? I'm aware they are both sci-fi esque

>Why is the horror genre so bad?

My opinion, modern technology has pretty much destroyed the genre. Even 10 years ago it was hard to write a story and make it believable that nobody had a signal on their phone, now it's practical impossible to write a believable excuse for somebody not having internet access or a signal on their smartphone. I suppose that's why we haven't had a good old fashioned slasher film in years.

I mean obviously it depends on the plot, if it's supernatural then it doesn't really matter because you can write any excuse for phones not working and it wouldn't be any less believable than a demon coming after you because you said its name.

The "i have no signal" trope has been upended by the "my phones battery is dead"

Alien is the best horror movie of all time. Beyond horror, it's just an amazing movie.

Watched it last night. Interesting premise but not much else. I didn't understand why I should give a shit about the protagonist. Not a terrible movie though.

r8 my top 10

Missed the S in Alien/10

""""no""""

all of the insidious movies spooked me good
not horribly so but a respectable amount
it follows game me night terrors for whatever reason
noroi spooked me good also
pulse to a lesser extent but enough
I love horror movies that are subtle or at least have some subtlety in them, like insidious would show shit in the background that you would miss if you weren't paying attention
in the end I still feel like the potential is untapped

women all have rape fantasies.

Found footage has been killing horror.

Prove me wrong.

After the Japanese remake wave, found footage is all there has been and it fucking sucks.

> It Follows

oh my god STOP trying to meme poeple into watching this garbage, please!
I mean it was decent up until like half of the movie. But then it just turns into.. well, THIS:
youtube.com/watch?v=6NcoIPsPs1Q

Goddamnit so much wasted potential

100% agree. Its even found its way into videogames and other media. It has literally been trash since after Blair Witch first debuted.

Its a nice list, but thats like every horror fans top ten, excluding Repulsion and maybe Black Sunday

The first hour of this film

Second half gets cheesy in a horror supernatural sense but first half was a solid 10/10

What was wrong with the other thread?

Best Modern:
Evil Dead 13
V/H/S
V/H/S/2
The Babadook
House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
Under The Shadow
Cabin in the Woods
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Alright, gonna watch a horror movie lads I will watch the first one recommended to me.

Insidious

Would this be a rare exception of the popular majority actually being good?

Dont watch that dumb shit.

I already watched it when it came out and it was a solid 5/10

Insidious is a good movie

At least astral projection isnt your standard horror movie trope

Fine
Monkey Shines

the nightmare is streaming on netflix right now. Its part horror part documentary on sleep paralysis. Pretty spoopy.

Thanks man, sounds neat.

It's a good horror movie if you are a 10 year old altar boy who's entire idea of "scary" is the equivalent of a Marilyn Manson music video.

>Its part horror part documentary on sleep paralysis

Sounds great
Thats the exact reason I loved Insidious

Or you know, anyone who has ever encountered sleep paralysis or read about astral projection or OOBE.

Have you even seen the movie?

Then you will love it. Its basically interviews with people suffering from it and they recreate the dreams they describe.

Insidious isn't scary. It's funny way more times than it is scary. The only part that was really "scary" was when Darth Maul came out from behind the guy's back at the table. But that was a jumpscare, the cheapest type of scary there is.

Sleep paralysis, astral projection, taking ayahuasca, etc. etc. are all very interesting subjects. Insidious is a piss poor representation and the final hour or so of the movie is laughably bad. It's on the same grounds as an M. Night Shyamalan jump-gag horror movie. I saw someone mention The Nightmare. Now that is a good documentation and visualization of "out of body" experiences.

I've no idea why people dont mention it more often, but The VVitch is pretty damn fucking good.

Because it's bad

it's not a fucking horror movie you fucking retard spastic

post more cronenkino lads
literally the greatest horror director of all time

Because horror is a cathartic experience. It's a way to confront fear and stress in a safe, controlled way. They know the movie can't hurt them, they know they have the power to stop the fear whenever they want, they know they only feel fear because they choose to. This sense of control over their fear is very rewarding to people who experience fear beyond their control on daily basis, and black women do. Living in a ghetto is scary, dealing with black men in general is scary, trying to raise six fatherless kids on a welfare check is scary, wondering if you have HIV every day is scary, as is the knowledge that you're a part of the least desired group in the world and that you'll die alone as the result. So it makes sense that every week or so they'd distract themselves from their mundane fears with a kind of fear they have complete power over.

I wish cronenberg would make kino again

The Woman in Black dilogy. Extremely comfy "haunted house"-style films.

oh, forgot to mention:
>inb4 Daniel Radcliffe

>Daniel redcliffe

no thx fag

more like daniel notRADcliffe

You are all plebs

The woman in black (tv movie)
Cure
The house with the laughing windows
Onibaba

the visit
Light's out

kys

The Descent
It Follows
Evil Dead 2
The Shining
The Thing

pic related is unironically better than The Shining.

/Pleb

Don't Look Now
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Rosemary's Baby
The Wickerman
Suspiria
The Thing
The Shining
Alien