I read lots of reviews about how great Mad Men is and I don't get it. This show is bad. Not terrible but still bad...

I read lots of reviews about how great Mad Men is and I don't get it. This show is bad. Not terrible but still bad. Nothing happens. The only interesting part was when that-guy-whose-name-I-already-forgot tried to expose Don as a deserter.
What exactly am I missing? Why is it praised so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

emgn.com/entertainment/10-great-movies-dont-actually-plot/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't seem to appreciate class, but you should at least worship pic related

Plus, see how they act

i agree, op

i've tried multiple times to get into it and it just doesn't do it for me

i appreciate how well made it is but it's just so boring
it feels like it's about nothing

it feels pointless to watch

and i say that as someone who has enjoyed nearly all of the big "golden age" TV shows like the sopranos, the wire, deadwood, etc.

its not as good as Breaking Bad, don't bother

So, because people don't kill other people on a regular basis, it's boring?

>you should at least worship pic related
Why? It's just a dude who can't deal with aging. It's a good character but nothing worth "worshiping".

>see how they act
I don't see what's exceptionally great about that. Yeah, they're not bad. But their performance is nothing to rave about.

>I NEED A PLOT

Yeah I need either a plot or something that makes me think, be it something hard to interpret because of symbolism or something that throws philosophical questions at the audience.

You think it's easy to play the role of Joan? Of Betty? Even of Don and Roger?

name 3 good films without a plot

I don't think it's easy, I think it's not particularly harder that any other role. You seem to think otherwise, please enlighten me.

It was kino.

Do you think it's easy to portray the role of Joan? Joan is supposed to be the strenght of the office. She is the one to whom people go in their times of need, asking for advice and support. She can't appear to be weak, because she is who truly rules the office. She has always to be standing straight, have a calm voice, have authority and not be attached to her fellow co-workers, and simultanley appear to be attached. And yet, she wants to become something more than that. She wants to have meaning not just in the office, but in the world. She is the American dream. And being able to portray to American dream, the way Christina Hendricks did, it's not up to anyone

It's hard to be Joan. It's a shit life. But acting Joan really doesn't seem harder than acting any other role desu.

It feels to me like a show that could have been a single season and yet they somehow stretched it out into seven.

Then you are personally one of the greatest actors in the world, senpai

yup!

mad men has a plot, it's just thin

>implying that Sally's transformation from a child into a cynical hippie bitch that will have the same fate as the girl from American Pastoral could be done in just one season, or shouldn't be done at all

>nothing happens

good litmus test for someone i could never hang out with

it's a character study not a fairy tale

>it's an initially interesting TV show runs its course but still has to chug onwards until it gets cancelled episode

Make a different show if that's the story you want to tell.

Sup Forums has a strange obsession with mad Men, where they overhype it's accomplishments and overrate the series. It's a show that many on Sup Forums decided is 'our' show, and so they compare it to greater works as if it's a contender. The truth is is you saw the first two seasons you've already seen all it has to offer and then it's just going through the paces. Truly pleb opinions thinking mad men is anything more than okay

Man i love the feel and mood of the show.
literally the most C O M F Y show ive ever seen

>a story from a two hour movie couldn't be told over the course of a ten plus hour television show
wat

>Why is it praised so much?
I expect it's because they look at it as a time piece.

Show breakdown:

90% hesitation
10% circle-jerk when he comes through and looks better than the other buffoonish brutes.

It's femmeshit masquerading as masculine-core. Only a woman could be so concerned with the adventures of another man's penis.

Best scene in the history of modern television.

Too bad it get's overshadowed by stuff like "I am the danger" memery.

Huh.. i was planning on watching this show. is this really from mad men? i have no interest in watching rich white people be racist and mock PoC struggles..i dont know what i expected from a show that glorifies the 50s t b h

quit while you're ahead. I lasted till s5 before I realized it was actually getting worse

Obvious bait is obvious, but I am still correcting you:

>it happens in the 60s
>it mocks rich white people
>it glorifies POC struggles

The whole reason for the show's existence is to apply modern progressive morals to people of the 1950s and turn the lead into a sex symbol for doing things that women would never actually reward with sex.

The show's redeeming qualities outweigh its flaws.

When you have the chance you should kill yourself.

season five was the best storywise

That doesn't really describe why you think the show is great though.

Agreed

emgn.com/entertainment/10-great-movies-dont-actually-plot/

It has style and some dramatic moments, but the reason I hate that show is because of it's historical revisionist bullshit. They explore the topics of feminism, racism, past issues etc. in a manner in which the audience is made to feel morally superior. Yet, they break this rule constantly, because Don's not openly racist to black people like almost anyone in his position would be at the time. The show plays it both ways: Don is a shitty representative of the patriarchal oppressive lying cheating male shit bag, but at the same time, he's alluring for those same reasons. It's a charade and it's extremely manipulative of the audience. Oh yea, and magical Jews. Jews can do no wrong in the show, they're perfect geniuses of futuristic ideals and morality who never do anything wrong.