Stop listening to Steve Reich

Stop listening to Steve Reich.

thequietus.com/articles/24245-minimalism-sexism

Attached: Capture.png (707x715, 361K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/20/the-guardian-view-on-the-gender-pay-gap-enough-excuses-time-for-action
tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/253614/is-feminist-lemonade-kosher
theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/308135/
theabsolute.net/ottow/sexcharh.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm so tired. I want to sleep forever.

me 2 man, i drink to sleep and it's slowly killing me, i can't sleep without at least a bottle in me

I haven't seen the programme, but if a programme on Minimalism did ignore the likes of Oliveros and Monk entirely, then the writer actually has a point, and if Tony Conrad was ignored as well then that's even more unforgivable.

I’ve never met a woman who listens to minimalist music

>fast evolving histories
>"Let's change history to make us feel better about ourselves"
you can't make this shit up

i have but most of them are trans

Why should women be expected to listen to something created primarily by men? Huh?

Absolutely patrician

maybe history was originally written by privileged people who wanted to feel better about themselves by systematically ignoring and erasing the contributions of marginalized folks such as PoC, Women and Queers. And now that marginalized folks finally get a voice , the privileged feel like they are being threathened

youre retaded if you dont think there were many women involved and important in the exploration, composition and performance of minimalist music from the very beginning... thertes nothing wrong with the article.

acknowledging womens contribution doesnt take away from these men at all. i dont know wtrf your problem is.

There's nothing wrong with the article and seeing as you seem not to have read it, it doesn't advocate not listening to Steve Reich
literally retarded/haven't read the article

the final documentary is just going to be blurry VHS footage of 4 fat positive blue haired queer PoCs raping an innocent white child while steve reich plays in the background. Pitchfork gives it 10/10 - a win for diversity progress and inclusion

wtf The Quietus? what happened?

did yo u ever met women??

Fake culture war bullshit.

Zzz.

exactly. these women were always there. acknowledging them is long past due. it doesnt detract from the contributions of these long acknowledged white men in any way.

There’s a certain post in this thread that is very obvious bait and i’m glad no one has given him any (you)’s yet

Archive that shit you faggot, I ain't giving that bait any more clicks.

>woman writes article expressing dissatisfaction with shallow BBC Documentary that portrays minimalist music to have solely been the creation of 4 men (it wasn't)
>autistic incels throw hissy fit accusing the femnazis of wanting to erase men from history based on the headline alone
yeah, sounds like classic Sup Forums

Attached: Unamused-Face-Emoji-Classic-Round-Sticker.jpg (500x500, 19K)

which one dude?

If we are REALLY committed to equity and inclusion, we shouldn't care about slaughtering a few holy cows. What if it turned out Steve Reich was a sexual harasser? Statistically speaking, it is very likely many of the composers in the cannon were sexual harassers. The cult of 'genius' allows men to get away with a lot.

>the quietus
why do you guys give a shit about some second rate website article

what the fuck are you talking about dude

I'm just saying, gee, maybe we need to rethink how we evalute art in the age of #metoo. The separation between art and artist leads to marginalized folks getting hurt, maybe we shouldn't keep doing it.

It only talks about La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Reich and Glass

That's too few desu. I think if you were to have to pick 4 to cover the whole genre, those would probably be the 4 that most people pick, but to try and pin the whole of Minimalism on those 4 guys is to ignore an awful lot of it.

she literally just wrote this to make the menimalism pun

If some great composer like Reich turned out to be a shit person then we shouldn't stop listening to their music. His music has nothing to do with the man himself. Wagner was an anti-Semite (though this is not a universally accepted claim), but should that mean that we shouldn't enjoy his music?

We should promote the works of women and other minorities from the present and those who have been largely forgotten by history, but we shouldn't throw away the work of people who are dicks. We would throw away some of the greatest works of music, art and literature ever made if we were unable to separate art from artist.

What cultural contributions have "PoC, Women and Queers" made except hip-hop (not music), shitty pop tunes (written by men) and disco music?

Attached: 1498614671280.png (205x246, 5K)

>i have
>trans

pls Putin destroy the world with your mighty nukes asap

transwomen are women

Club music in general, retard.

this is why i don't think Sup Forums is viable place to talk music

just think of the great works of music that have been thrown away because their creators had the wrong skin color, genitals or sexuality. I'm just saying we need to be more proactive if we are actually committed to inclusion, it's not sufficient to tokenize the work of women/queers/PoC as a sideshow to white male greatness, we have to undermine and problematize all canons and holy cows.

what are you talking about this is a alt-right meme site not a music discussion board

>club music
>music

try again

YASSS BASED PUTIN! PLEASE DESTROY CIVILISATION BECAUSE OF A FEW TRANNIES WHO DON'T EFFECT MY LIFE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!! FUCK DEMOCRACY, FREE SPEECH, FUNCTIONING ECONOMIES, HUMAN RIGHTS, FREEDOM AND MERITOCRACY, YOU'RE SO FUCKING BASED FOR RIDING ON A HORSE WITHOUT A SHIRT XD

>FUCK DEMOCRACY, FREE SPEECH, FUNCTIONING ECONOMIES, HUMAN RIGHTS, FREEDOM AND MERITOCRACY

none of these things actually exist in the west.

this is satire right

we don't gain anything by throwing away the great works of white men
I'm just saying dig up the old shit that's been forgotten because its creator wasn't a white man. This woman's harpsichord suites are pretty rad for instance, but I'm sure there's lots of music written by women and people of colour that's been forgotten and could be rediscovered. I just don't see how throwing away the music of white men helps. its literally white genocide if you get my drift.

Attached: elisabeth-claude-jacquet-de-la-guerre-2.jpg (900x750, 131K)

You're on the most left-leaning board on this site dude. You have to be at the very least a soc dem to post here.

Revisionism.

the fact that trannies tend to have patrician taste in music and above average IQ should make me more accepting of them, but imo it just makes them seem even more freakish

A man has never written anything that surpasses the work of the following musicians:
Adriana Hölszky
Allison Cameron
Annea Lockwood
Annette Schlünz
Annie Gosfield
Amy Beach
Barbara Benary
Barbara Strozzi
Bianca Maria Meda
Carla Bley
Carla Kihlstedt
Caroline Shaw
Cécile Charminade
Charlotte Moorman
Chaya Czernowin
Chen Yi
Clara Schumann
Daphne Oram
Delia Derbyshire
Diamanda Galás
Dobrinka Tabakova
Élizabeth-Claude Jacquet de la Guerre
Elizabeth Maconchy
Jennifer Higdon
Judith Weir
Elena Kats-Chernin
Elena Mendoza
Eliane Radigue
Elis Regina
Elizabeth Lutyens
Ellen Fullman
Ellen Taaffe Zwilich
Ethel Smyth
Eve Beglarian
Fanny Mendelssohn
Frances-Marie Uitti
Gabriela Lena Frank
Galina Ustvolskaya
Germaine Tailleferre
Gloria Coates
Grazyna Bacewicz
Haco
Ha-Yang Kim
Helena Tulve
Hildegard von Bingen
Isabel Mundry
Isabella Leonarda
Jennifer Higdon
Jenny Scheinman
Jessica Pavone
Jin Hi Kim
Joan La Barbara
Joan Tower
Julia Wolfe
Kaija Saariaho
Kassia
Lera Auerbach
Lili Boulanger
Liza Lim
Lois V Vierk
Louise Farrenc
Lydia Kavina
Maja Ratkje
Maria Schneider
Maria Szymanowska
Marian Zazeela
Mary Lou Williams
Maryanne Amacher
Meredith Monk
Michiyo Yagi
Miya Masaoka
Nadia Boulanger
Nina Senk
Okkyung Lee
Olga Neuwirth
Pauline Oliveros
Pia Gilbert
Rebecca Clarke
Rebecca Saunders
Regina Carter
Rosa Giacinta Badalla
Ruth Crawford Seeger
Sachiko M
Sainkho Namtchylakv
Sarah Kirkland Snider
Satoko Fujii
Sheila Silver
Sofia Gubaidulina
Sofia Jernberg
Susie Ibarra
Theresa Wong
Thea Musgrave
Unsuk Chin
Vanessa Lann
Wendy Carlos
Wu Fei
Wu Man
Yoko Ono
Zeena Parkins
prove me wrong.

>better musician than Clara Schumann

how about Robert Schumann

anyone who fucking disagrees didn't read the fucking article. it's the fucking simplest thing ever and people still throw a hissyfit over it because of the feminist boogeyman.

>dig up the old shit that's been forgotten because its creator wasn't a white man.
You do realize a lot work is forgotten because it's shit right?

Nowadays, all the shitty work that would be forgotten is now getting exposure because of the internet, and it's honestly awful. People no longer have to work to be successful, they just have to find to a few morons to sucker out of money.

You gave yourself away with Yoko Ono, user. You had me going for a bit though

have you seen how the alt right uses the concept of muh european high culture and classical music to promote their racist ideas? we have to let it clear any arbitrary fetishised idea of the holiness of art is worth nothing next to one dead marginalized person killed by the alt right.

it's pasta, but most of those artists are good so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater

>[transgendered people] tend to have above average IQ
>dumb fucks literally just accept what a genetic coin flip told them their gender was
>true patricians reject this arbitrary and stochastic result and instead dispassionately choose their gender based on the relationship they wish to have with society and other people
Gee I wonder why.

Attached: 85e.jpg (764x551, 263K)

Go to bed, Ray

OP here.
I literally posted this to meme, I like the article and how it points out recent discoveries from that era.

yes
not all of it was forgotten because it was shit though, and some of what wasn't forgotten is shit

>I was merely pretending...

and we should amplify the work of marginalized folks because it is the decent thing to do, specially if you are a person with power

I agree with You take some 16th-19th century work by a female or black composer and compare it to the established greats of the time like Beethoven or Chopin etc. and they are indeed technically inferior. Add to the fact their obscurity status, they rightfully deserve to be part of the trash dump of history. These tumblr twitter types might be educated on identity bullshit but they have never ever read a music theory text in their life. Which is why some senile old academic won't bother giving their passive-aggressive diatribe much attention.

Obviously there are historical and social reasons why females and POC people couldn't match up to the white male greats in the past. Luckily there's plenty of female and POC composers from the 20th century that deserve uncovering and more recognition. But this agenda at revising the bigger scope of history to suit muh feelsies is a thing that deserves all the shitting it gets. Feminism used to mean giving females equal rights as men, the current definition is that females deserve to dominate over men, which is frankly absurd.

People ITT have all the right to squabble over the blatant clickbait title. If or fine with it, or go "yeah right just read the article itself you dweebs!!!!!!!!" then deeply you must agree with the idea that the title presents to you at surface reading. libtard wearing a mask saying he's not a libtard.png

Promoting mediocrity for the sake of politics is always a bad idea. Idols that aren't pushing boundries should be ignored.

>being born
>literally an arbitrary and random chance happening based on the decision of your parents to procreate at a certain time and place, you were never consulted on whether you wanted to exist
>brainlets implicitly accept this (they've never thought about it) and live their lives in ignorant bliss, consuming the vapid mass entertainment and poisonous fast food they're told to
>true patricians reject this arbitrary and stochastic
>being born
>literally an arbitrary and random chance happening based on the decision of your parents to procreate at a certain time and place, you were never consulted on whether you wanted to exist
>brainlets implicitly accept this (they've never actually thought about it) and live their lives in ignorant bliss, consuming the vapid mass entertainment and poisonous fast food they're told to
>true patricians reject this arbitrary and stochastic happenstance and critically evaluate the world and their position in it, with regards to whether or not it is worth existing at all. Some take the bold step to forgo their existence
Gee I wonder whyand critically evaluate their position in the world and the wider world as a whole, with regards to whether or not it is worth existing at all. Some take the bold step to forgo their existence
>extremely high IQ transgendered people commit suicide more than the general population
Gee I wonder why

Attached: wojak_02.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg (710x675, 60K)

fpbp

>current definition [of feminism] is that females deserve to dominate over men
can you provide a citation for that that isn't urban dictionary?

there is nothing wrong with the title other than the fact that it's "clickbait".

idk browse through twitter or something

being a marginalized person means you push boundaries simply by existing

damn my post got mangled.
oh well

>dumb person on twitter says dumb thing
>this is now representative of feminism
try again

Steve Reich is too much of a beta. The guy actually defends popular music, ffs.

If only Stockhausen was alive in this age of white male fragility...

*persons

She's a good musician, but I specifically included Yoko Ono in order to bait plebs. There are plenty of avant-garde artists there you don't take issue with, you just happen to recognise Yoko Ono, a very important composer and visual artist associated with the fluxus movement, who incidentally was married to a pop star so got more public attention (and scorn) than other musicians associated with fluxus.

The reason why you only recognise Yoko Ono is because you truly are a pleb. You take exactly the assumptions and tastes of the ignorant masses as your own, and in doing so close your ears to some actually great music. This is inarguable.

*persons you can't or wont even link me to saying dumb things, possibly because they don't exist.

You want me to link you the whole fucking site?

no, I want you to back up your claim with evidence.
so far you have just proven yourself just as dumb as the (possibly fictional) straw persons you're attacking.

The article points out that documentary's lack of mention to female pioneers of the genre such as Pauline Oliveros, Joan La Barbara, Meredith Monk, Eliane Radigue , Laurie Spiegel, or Charlotte Moorman.

I don't see what's wrong with this article, it seems strange they'd neglect to mention any of the numerous contributions made by female musicians

Obviously, I doubt anybody could be that retarded and post here in the first place, it's likely just someone trying to bait the right

No, you want me to cherrypick examples so you could then disregard them as trolls or outright defend them by saying they have deeper meaning because you're from the same camp as all those people. You're also too much of a newfaggot to have ever noticed twitter drama shitposting on this website. Or maybe you're just pretending.

In either case kill yourself, lowcap scum.

>someone with a different world view than mine must be satire
go outside kiddo

sigh...

>I don't see what's wrong with this article
The clickbait title. The rest is generic Sup Forums autism at work.

>wants to erase men from history
>but not if they later transitioned to women!
At least try to make your bait less obvious

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/20/the-guardian-view-on-the-gender-pay-gap-enough-excuses-time-for-action

>Much of the gap reflects an enduring tendency to discriminate on the basis of hours worked

it's not much 'feminism' as the general erosion of all cultural standards under late capitalist postmodernity. Everything is about managing numbers and labels, notions of 'genius' or even 'individuality' have become outdated. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it definitely represents a fatal contradiction within the post war liberal order.

tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/253614/is-feminist-lemonade-kosher

>Wendy Carlos
'she' was a man though

>be mentally ill
>desperately want to mutilate your body

lmao

>Pointing out that a documentary neglected to mention influential females in the genre is the same as telling people to quit listening to men in the genre
How fucking retarded are you? I can't imagine what fucking triple digit negative IQ you'd need to extrapolate that out of the article.

>this blatant fucking delusion of grandeur
i'm just totally speechless. i seriously hope you're joking.

>Retards on Sup Forums just look at the title and get their notepad full of talking points from skeptic youtubers open ready to shitpost
every time

we literally live under a totalitarian managerial gynocratic state

>females deserve to dominate over men
I read the article and I don't think it's forwarding that position.
>Much of the gap reflects an enduring tendency to discriminate on the basis of hours worked
This doesn't imply females deserve to dominate over men.
try again

I'm not even sure if you're joking

I don't know why anybody would want to be associated with such a garbage movement in the first place.

yeah? she isn't any more so...
i'm not sure you of your point

reminder that the left can't meme

I was only 21 years old, I loved Jordan Peterson so much
I had watched all his lectures and his Channel 4 interview where he DESTROYS Cathy Newman
I read "12 Rules For Life" every night before bed and after cleaning my room
I say to myself "JBP is love, JBP is life" every night
My sjw dad overhears me and calls me "lobster boy"
I knew it was because he was jealous of my high openness and contentiousness
I tell him to go read Solzhenitsyn
He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep
Im crying now, and my face hurts
The intolerant left strikes again!
I lay in bed and its really cold
A warmth is moving towards me.
I feel something touch me
Its Jordan Peterson
I am so happy
He whispers in to ear "A lot of young men come to me... You're next Bucko!"
He grabs me with his (orderly) masculine hands and puts me on my hands and knees
I'm ready
I spread my ass cheeks for Peterson
He penetrates my butthole
It hurts so much but I do it for JBP
I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water
I push against his force
I want to please him
He squeals as he fills my butt with his love
My dad walks in
JBP looks him straight in the eye and says "Remember the story of Cain and Abel? Well, read it then Daddy-O!"
he leaves through my window
JBP is love JBP is life.

Attached: tsa053117jordanpederson05.jpg (620x414, 6K)

case in point

I didn't dismiss the article as a troll or defend it
you missed the mark there

Why does JBP appeal so much to right leaning young men with mild Aspergers?

>Earlier this year, women became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Most managers are now women too. And for every two men who get a college degree this year, three women will do the same. For years, women’s progress has been cast as a struggle for equality. But what if equality isn’t the end point? What if modern, postindustrial society is simply better suited to women? A report on the unprecedented role reversal now under way— and its vast cultural consequences

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/308135/

Females are inherently opposed to genius, which is an individualistic male phenomenon. gynocracy will just result in a banal warld in which nothing means anything. Read Otto Weininger my dude.

Attached: 1258861-Otto-Weininger-Quote-In-those-rare-individual-cases-where-women.jpg (3840x2160, 1.74M)

americans are dumb
both left and right
fuck you

legal/official documentation and surgeries can accommodate the trans community's mental illness all they want, doesn't mean they'll ever be the opposite sex.

i think he appeals to young conservatives in general because because of the worsening state of the family unit, at least in america.

many of the most important composers of the 20th century were queer