How can you possibly think this one was better than TFA?

How can you possibly think this one was better than TFA?

Because it is. I enjoyed TFA but this was leagues above it.

easy

Felicity >>>>> Daisy

People wanted epik invincible bad man to murder people with a glowstick, and this movie provided them with it. This blunder made me appreciate TFA more a little bit more....

>better protagonist
>new locations
>okayish to good supporting cast
>glorious Vader cameo
>a villain that wasn't complete shit
>actually adds something interesting to canon

it felt like a star wars story. TFA felt like a fan made movie. i like them both but R1 was badass.

Because it tried. It tried more then just rehashing a new hope with worse characters mixed in.

I didn't

>implying we gave our shekels to disney

bravo. eat cocks.

the vader scene alone was more entertaining than the entirety of TFA desu

No baiting or trowing around memes, Rogue One is a very nicely done movie. Gareth Edwards has proven himself to be a fantastic action director, and it really shows in this movie. Loved the story too.

>characters might be "flat" but at least they fucking make sense
>acting is 100% solid across the board
>worldbuilding isn't nonexistent or retarded
>some cool new ships
>interesting new tone for a SW movie
>more engaging pew pew battle scene
>dosen't shit on the ending of the OT

Do redditors keep making starwars threads because they get ignored in their sub reddit? Fucking neck yourselves.

/thread

This movie was Godzilla (2014): Star Wars edition

A depressing atmosphere with characters you don't care about BUT impressive visuals and all the bare-bone essentials of a blockbuster so at the end you're left feeling "I guess I... sort of liked it?"

The difference being there aren't so many die hard Godzilla fans who blow their load over laser breath, but there's no shortage of Star Wars fanboys who come to lightsabers.

because TFA was just stupid

Who cares? Why do you need your meaningless opinions on spaceshit to be validated so badly?

>>actually adds something interesting to canon
This
>Because it tried. It tried more then just rehashing a new hope with worse characters mixed in.
And that.

I just love the weight it gives to ep IV and the desperation of beating the Death Star. I also like how engineering and technology and not just the force is responsible for resisting the empire. I like the continuing message of the empire's plans to monopolize the use of The Force (like blowing up that jedi temple) and then using technology to solidify that hold with the death star.

>but there's no shortage of Star Wars fanboys who come to lightsabers.
I thought the nice thing about this movie was the total lack of light sabers (until the end) and very little force-using.

Rogue one is a star wars movie for wikifags who think """explaining""" the """Lore""" is a good movie

TFA triggered them because it ruined their powerlevel headcanon charts and made a mockery of their sith lord power fantasies

>This movie was Godzilla (2014): Star Wars edition
So theres only like 10 minutes of the movie worth watching? Is there anything on par with the HALO jump?

>better protagonist
She was a boring and a dull character. Didn't care about her.

>new locations
The last planet was the only one that felt new. Was cool though.

>okayish to good supporting cast
All boring and dull. Forced chemistry. Didn't care about them.

>glorious Vader cameo
Well executed desu. He felt genuinely powerful and terrifying. Much more so than in the Original Trilogy IMO

>a villain that wasn't complete shit
He was a boring and a dull character. Didn't care about him.

>actually adds something interesting to canon
Like what? The only cool thing was that Jyn's father deliberately created that weakness in the Death Star.

Why was Leia there at the battle? That was dumb as hell.

I didn't give a fuck about the characters so the only thing I was left with was cool visuals.

>I thought the nice thing about this movie was the total lack of light sabers (until the end) and very little force-using.

This! It was refreshing that not everything could be solved by lol The Force.

>Sith
>force Awakens

Disgusting

The last hour is definitely worth watching.

>I didn't give a fuck about the characters so the only thing I was left with was cool visuals.

Sounds like a personal problem, buddy.

Pretty much this

Yeah, I know he's not a Sith, and that's exactly the point

he's a mockery of people who self-inserted as the bad guys

>it's an original story, not a shittier remake of the first movie
>doesnt suffer from JJ ADD
>better cast, Felicity and based Madds
>at least Vader is Vader, not Le Totally Not Vader That Is Also A Fucking Deformed Teenager™ with his New Retarded Design of Red Glowstick Pls Buy Toys™
>while it does suffer form corporate cynical "hey, remeber this shit from the OT", not nearly as much as TFA where whole movie served just as a vessel to show shot from OT so they could re release toys

No he wasn't. I don't know what he was supposed to be. Except boring, apparently.

Hell, even Krennic threw a better tantrum than Kylo.

based Sup Forums

literally /myboard/

Meh. I'll wait for redbox.

Or perhaps lackluster writing?

kumiko a shit

If you have zero concept of Star Wars as a franchise and had never seen a Star Wars movie TFA is better. However if you've even seen just a little bit the obvious retelling and shrinking of the universe in TFA is frustrating as fuck to sit through despite the better acting and meatier characters.

Rogue One does a ton of world building, adds depth to the rebel alliance, adds new locations, new ships, new technology, and shows us a lot of things that we've never actually seen before. All of that is counter-balanced by some annoying fan service moments and thin characters that all die.

As someone that's seen a lot of star wars shit I'll take Rogue One in spite of all the annoying fan service shit, it was just so refreshing to see new shit.

>Why was Leia there at the battle? That was dumb as hell.
to smuggle out the plans because she had diplomatic immunity and Empire couldnt do shit to her in theory. Jesus Christ you are literally too stupid to understand space fantasy movie for children

If you're seriously claiming R1 was more lackluster than TFA, you must be trolling.

I mean I can understand people liking TFA for other reasons - characters or lore of whatever - but R1 was in every aspect the more exciting movie.

>kid fantasizes about being Darth Vader
>emulates him
>is actually a fucking loser who's using the legend of Darth Vader to make up for his own insecurities and his own personal failures

He's not a complex character, you're just a retard who thinks the merit of a character is how "le badass" they are.

Krennic was wasted potential: the character. Great actor though.

>I thought the nice thing about this movie was the total lack of light sabers (until the end) and very little force-using.
This is why I drew comparisons to Godzilla's laser breath. The filmmaker knows that's the money shot, so he makes you wait for it until the end. And I won't say the final Godzilla fight or Darth Vader's scene weren't cool, because they were.

But are these moments alone enough to carry their respective movie? Did you care about the protagonist in Godzilla (2014) or his nurse wife really? You could understand their motivation but they were mostly flat and boring. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Remember Bryan Cranston in that movie? Remember how there wasn't much to his character, but because he showed an array of emotions convincingly he ended up being the only interesting person in the movie? First he was happy, then he was angry, then it was sad when he died.

When all of the characters die in Rogue One it's impossible to give a shit because they were all so monotone and gray it just didn't matter.

TFA was an unbelievably stupid and lazy flick designed to cash in on the brand. RO has some interesting stuff and better special effects, but it's still boring.

What insecurities? What personal failures? We don't know any of those, we just hear he got mad at Luke and killed some people. Who gives a fuck?

Honestly, a better director than JJ might have managed to make Kylo work, but as it is he was shit.

it was darker therefor it must've been better also

Agreed. It dovetailed beautifully with the OT and ANH in a way that I've seen few prequels ever pull off, answering little shit like:

>Why did the rebel alliance have barely anything bigger than the blockade runner until halfway through ROTJ?
>Because Admiral Raddus, Admiral Ackbar's forebear and superior, led the rag-tag assortment of ships that made up the 0BBY alliance fleet on a literal suicide mission in a desperate last-ditch attempt to draw Imperial fire away from the team stealing the Death Star's plans.

It was basically the first EU movie, and it did a bang-up job of being everything that the EU aspired to be.

I would have loved to see the original cut, I'm sure it would have fixed the few disney-fied flaws that the released product had.

well, not him, but I cared for Felicity's character. she had a very nice and personal story and arc in which she went from not giving a fuck to giving her life for Rebellion. that was very much development for a blockbuster. also spick spy was cool and showed that eniter conflict is not pure good vs evil but has grey areas.
as for the rest, yeah,, they were glorified extras. so what, it wasn't a mvie about them, those were assholes that tagged along with main character. and even them had an interesting gimmick that differed them from the rest each

We didn't know anything interesting about Darth Vader until Empire Strikes Back. Before that he was just a guy in a cool suit. Give the new movies a fucking chance damn

>reee why didn't he wear his emotions on his sleeve and give longwinded expository speeches and explain EXACTLY how he was feeling? The prequels taught me that's how scriptwriting works

fuck off. He was the mediocre son of a famous family, was a depressed and angsty kid, and latched onto the legend of Vader to make him feel like a badass

Does her diplomatic immunity protect her from getting blasted into pieces in a huge space battle? Why not just bring the entire rebellion with you and cram them into one ship and hope nothing hits it?

>However if you've even seen just a little bit the obvious retelling and shrinking of the universe in TFA is frustrating as fuck to sit through despite the better acting and meatier characters.

This. Nothing triggered my autism harder than the MCU-tier "worldbuilding" in TFA, and I'm sure a little part of George Lucas died inside when he watched the Starkiller Base weapon-that's-seen-by-all-of-the-protagonists-as-it-kills-planets-thousands-of-light-years-away-that-are-inexplicably-closer-to-each-other-than-the-earth-and-the-moon-are sequence pollute a movie with the "star wars" name on it. I know a small part of me did.

how did R2D2 and C3PO get on Leia's ship? They were clearly shown in the Yavin IV hangar after the fleet had already left for Scarif.

Checkmate, R1 fags.

not even kidding I left cinema pretyt happy

TFA left me with questions like "why was she instantly good at everything?" "why did they make negro a comic relief janitor?" "what was the hentai alien and irish gang scene for?" "why would I care about random planets blown up all of the sudden?" (Aaldaran at least had Leia's father there) "why the fuck would they name their bad guy Snoke and pull someone this powerfull out of their ass instead of using some actual lore" "why was luke not in this" "why did they shit on OT's ending" "what's up with yet another death star? getting blown 5 minutes after it's introduces?" inserting a joke about it doesn't reedem this shit "what the fuck is resistance and what's up with new republic and why wou,d I reach to some fucking boos to find out something that should be integral to film's screenplay" "did we really need cgi alien like maz-whatever just to fill in yoda's place? because she made no sense in the fucking story)

etc etc

the only valid point that was made about RO by RLM was the negro guy just giving up and dying, sure he was sick but having someting crush his leg would be so much better

anyways R1 6/10 TFA 3/10 (mostly because Kylo was executed well and besides rey the cast was solid)

>autists who think star wars is about writing wookiepedia articles and """world-building""""

>Does her diplomatic immunity protect her from getting blasted into pieces in a huge space battle?
no, thats why she wasnt in the actual fight but stayed in the hangar of their flagship, arguably the safest place around
>Why not just bring the entire rebellion with you and cram them into one ship and hope nothing hits it?
what

Kill yourself, JJ.

take that back

>die hard Godzilla fans who blow their load over laser breath

literally me

But that's what I mean when I say it had the essentials. Over the course of the OT each character completes an arc, but we also see them emote and give personality to their role. This makes the audience care more about what's going on.

In Rogue One (and Godzilla) we understand what's happening storywise and character wise. But personally I didn't get anything out of either because it's all so dull that the actors feel like they're there just to read lines to get us to the next scene.

Because TFA, as do all SW movies, suffers from a shitload of deus ex machinas and ridiculous coincidences. RO is much smaller in terms of size, so there is less of them. This is why I prefer it. Everything else is pretty on par with other movies. Well the action which was not set in space was also mostly better I think, but nothing special.

>arguably the safest place around

How about not in the battle?

>Like what? The only cool thing was that Jyn's father deliberately created that weakness in the Death Star.
that's still miles better than TFA

>She was a boring and a dull character. Didn't care about her.
say whatever but she seems real unlike Rey

Kylo Ren is objectively a more well rounded and fleshed out character in his first movie than Vader was in his

TFA alreay fucked up

Snoke is not plagueis

Rey is not going dark

there's no redemption beyond this point

Jyn isn't even a person, she has no real character traits. Rey is actually fleshed out and we learn a lot about her as a person, Jyn is only relevant to the story because of her dad

you're just mad Rey beat Kylo Ren and is good at things which isn't real criticism.

bunny chick and beaner spy were main characters and they had their arcs which were pretty nice, Han Solo's arc from ANH tier imo. chinks and bearded traitor were just extras with little screen time, there was no time to develop them all and it would actually water down the movie. it's a matter of personal liking I guess, characters were ok for me, villain too, only mecha black guy was gigantic wasted potential

Basically this. TFA didn't really do anything interesting other than kill Han Solo and introduce a few 'yet to be interesting' characters. At least R1 wasn't a character study and more of a flat-out heist/war movie where everyone dies.

R1 had balls, TFA did not.

Vader wasn't the main villain the first film. He was just muscle.

Kylo is not flesh-out. He's a one note emo that kills any momentum the film had going for it.

I don't watch children's cartoons so I don't understand. I only watch children's movies

>avatard
go back to plebbit

flagship is not in actual battle, stays a little back so the commander could see whats happening and be safe. and how could she smuggle something out of the battle if she wasnt around the battle brainlet-san?

>emo
>REEEEE WHY WASN'T HE BADASS WHY CAN'T I SELF INSERT INTO HIM AND PRETEND I'M KILLING ALL MY BULLIES WITH A LIGHTSABER

opinion discarded, neck yourself as soon as possible

>R1 had balls

Lazy reshooting and Disney not wanting to lose the cameo.

It's pretty clear that the original plot was going to be something like
>the Rogue One team steals the plans and the 2-3 who are left alive make a break for it, leaving Scarif right as the Death Star arrives.
>The rebel fleet scatters, and the Rogue One team punches it into hyperspace with the plans
>Cut to Yavin, where Captain Antilles, hearing of the success says something along the lines of "I'll get the princess and leave immediately" while C-3PO and R2 wonder what all the fuss is about.
>Tantive IV rises from the Yavin jungle and jumps towards Tatooine
>Fast forward to the Rogue One team getting intercepted by Vader, who kills them all just like he did the rebels in the theatrical cut.
>The last one he kills is Jyn, who defiantly tells him that he's too late, and that the plans were successfully transmitted to Princess Leia.
>Vader unceremoniously kills her and tells his crew, on a hunch, to set a course for Tatooine, going by his sith instincts.
>Cut to Tantive IV
>Last scene is Antilles asking Leia what they just intercepted
>CG Leia revealed, says "hope".
>The End.

It certainly isn't about great writing and compelling characters, or it hasn't been since the early 80's. At this point I'll take world building and wookiepedia bullshit over straight nostalgia and nonsense.

>canon

It's a laser

JJ pls go

I would bet hard cash that in the original cut the negro guy lives, makes it to Yavin, and dies on Scarif sacrificing himself to allow Jyn etc to succeed.

i think they should've gotten rid of the galactic empire clone that is the first order and began a story of civil war between the systems, and also let kylo ren try to figure his way to the dark side of the force by himself (would make him communicating with vadars helmet much more interesting and intimate) instead of having the voldemort ripoff

>world building and wookiepedia bullshit over straight nostalgia and nonsense.
Couldn't agree more, TFA>R1

See:
again, I'd bet money that she wasn't supposed to be in the battle until Disney made them reshoot the ending to make it less bleak.

Ironically TFA will end up being the greater gift to wookipedia autists, because in a bizarre turn of events, the Disney guys are making KOTOR canon in a desperate bid to make Starkiller Base make any kind of sense at all.

yeas, what that user worte is much better than what we got and I thought something similiar when I learrned about the reshoots. but still ending made internal sense with the logic of the SW world, was just weaker from storytelling perspective.

>how could she smuggle something out of the battle if she wasnt around the battle brainlet-san?
If only she could have a vehicle that could travel vast distances in space in just seconds. Then she could stay completely out of harms way. Or maybe they could transmit the plans to her with some kind of an wireless data transfer technology?

>the Disney guys are making KOTOR canon in a desperate bid to make Starkiller Base make any kind of sense at all.
explain pls, I'm not keeping up with the news

I personally love the First Order. They're an Empire clone, but the joke is that they're a bunch of pathetic Empire wannabes trying and failing to emulate the Empire to make up for their own insecurities

I love Hux and Kylo getting into schoolyard bully dick measuring contests and Kylo's tantrums, fuck the people who think star wars is SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS and every villain needs to be the SUPER DUPEREST EVIL SITH LORD EVER WHO DESTROYS GALAXIES BY FARTING

>Or maybe they could transmit the plans to her with some kind of an wireless data transfer technology?
yeah, if only they had the means to do that and werent on a sucide mission with no preparation and time for calulations in which transferring plans only worked with a few spare seconds despite rebel fleet being in orbit

Agreed

>bunny chick and beaner spy were main characters and they had their arcs which were pretty nice, Han Solo's arc from ANH tier imo
Remember when Han Solo was introduced? He was kind of a slimy guy. He made it clear he would only help Luke for money, then immediately after he kills Greedo preemptively. But then he says a couple jokes and funny lines so he becomes more likeable. When he wants to ditch the rebellion after saving Leia, Luke and Han get pissy with each other. They both get a little angry. Then when he comes back, he yells "Woohoo" excitedly. We see all these emotions on screen and they invoke emotions in the audience.

Contrast with the characters in Rogue One, where everyone is flat and apathetic. Forest Whitaker dies, Jyn barely emotes. Jyn's father dies, she barely emotes. Cassian yells at her, she barely emotes. Why should we, the audience, care about what's happening if the characters don't seem to?

thats exactly the problem. they were portrayed as a buch of larping faggots, yet still made much more powerful death star than a fucking empire whick had enite galaxys resources at its disposal. and why exactly werent they just squashed by New Republic if they're weak and pathetic? movie wants to to belive at the same time that they're weak and that you should fear them, it makes no sense

>Empire wannabes
>literally destroyed a star system with a bigger deathstar
also its not so much that star wars is super serious business its they should've gone for a much more refreshing approach than >muh nostalgia they could've switched the locales to different parts in the star wars galaxy not yet explored yet instead it's a rehash of the original

>Kylo Ren is objectively a more well rounded and fleshed out character in his first movie than Vader was in his
>NOOOO IT WAS SNOKE WHO SEDUCED OUR SHUUUUN
Fleshed out character my ass.

Because it doesn't have Rey and Kylo in it who are going to murder the whole new trilogy with how terrible their characters are.

Why didn't they just send Leia to steal the plans when she has diplomatic immunity?

I don't. Force>Rogue

t. emo kid

The only sequel trilogy that would have been worth filming would have been one based on the combined plots of the Thrawn books and Dark Empire, shot in the late 90's with the original cast, and solo twins who are 18-20.

Make it something like this:
VII:
>All is not well in the new republic, an imperial remnant under the leadership of GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN has been gaining power in the outer rim, and thousands of systems have now pledged allegiance to him. We're reintroduced to the old characters and some new ones as well, as they are reunited in a film that pushes towards a major space battle in the end where Thrawn suffers a major loss.
VIII:
>Thrawn's forces are seemingly unharmed by the loss, and Luke leaves his fledgling jedi academy and does some digging, discovering that the Imperial remnant was actually forming under the leadership of a reborn clone Emperor Palpatine (played by TPM-era Ian MacDiarmid sans makeup) ruling from the deep core world of Byss. The New Republic suffers a series of losses including the battle of Mon Calamari against the World Devastators and the battle of Coruscant against the war droids and the Eclipse, and the twist is that Luke joins the emperor at the end, going full evil. Thrawn is killed somehow.
IX:
The New Republic forces come to grips with Luke's fall, as they desperately pool their resources for one final attack on Byss. The ending consists of an insane space/land/force battle between the New Republic and the New Empire. Luke turns on the Emperor, killing him, as the New Republic wins, and Luke sheds the light/dark dichotomy goes on to found a new Jedi order based on achieving true balance with the force.

Because the new republic underestimated them and didnt see them as a threat.
Thats the whole deal with the resistance. Leia saw the potential threat they were and was allowed her own crew to keep tabs on them with.
The new republic didnt want to use their resources on something they saw as insignificant and they paid for it when the first order got their hands on a solar system destroying superweapon.

she emotes, Felicity is acting more subtely than Ford, but shows emotions.. and literally the same argument can be made for Luke. step paretnts burned alive, barely emotes. mentor killed, barely emotes. it's not a problem, their development is shown differently. we have to agree on disagreeing on that.

>didn't shit on previously established characters
They were both average at best either way. No alien main characters sucked though. Dude on the turret that takes out the legs of the at at was the only character death that I cared about.

The first film somehow creating a world on screen that for some reason fuels kid's and nerds imaginations is what's kept Star Wars alive for 30 years and sets it apart from something like Avatar.

nice of you that you explained that, because the movie sure didn't.