There is so much music to pick from, which one should I pick? It's so overwhelming. Will this ever stop...

There is so much music to pick from, which one should I pick? It's so overwhelming. Will this ever stop? I'm sort of (~2 years) new to music.

Attached: 1402956666291.jpg (569x506, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCDREYhOSIDeNhy-B5aKjp7A/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=rNFWmefujzM
youtube.com/watch?v=9zyFtYWFCH4
youtube.com/watch?v=yi45OoQOrtI
youtube.com/watch?v=mfT-C2FE3y4&t=315s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: 13951073_1.jpg (576x576, 36K)

how the fuck is someone new to music? did you just think those sounds just happened for no reason?

I mean listening to albums n shiet

you'll get better at finding what you like and discarding what you don't

maybe he was deaf and surgically re-gained hearing, you fucking retard

1. Pick an album you like
2. Explore the artist/genre
3. Repeat

But there are a thousand albums I wanna listen to RIGHT NOW

download everything you see that looks remotely intriguing then spend all your time listening to it all

I already do that. I discover new music faster than I can listen to it.
I think you guys are misinterpreting my post.

Play them all at the same time. Post results.

it only gets worse with time, forget about music before it's too late

Okay lad since you're indecisive I'll pick it for you today your going to explore krautrock, get on it.

I've found that if I get too much music at one I end up never really connecting with any of it. I saw get something you have a good idea you'll like and then give a solid 3-5 listens before moving on to something else. But maybe that's just me. Also just asking for some vague recs is too vague. If you want suggestions from a few choices you would have gotten better responses.

alright, so what albums really spoke to you that you listened to recently? don't worry about coming off as a pleb

tribal ambient vaporwave, funeral doom metal, instrumental math rock, burial

It's very scattered because my taste isn't close to stagnating, and I wanna get insight into random genres and cultures

i really don't know where to help you but i'd recommend listening to Kanye West. You can start chronologically (College Dropout) or start with the most accessible (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy).
That's a safe bet.

Haha yeah I know his entire discography, it's pretty neat.

OP your problem is discovering music faster than you can enjoy it. it's likely that you've been on a spree of listening to one or two tracks from loads of different albums and genres, thinking "hmm that sounds interesting" then immediately downloading it to listen to later. this is the worst way of discovering new music because you will never fully connect with or appreciate what you're listening to.

do this instead: listen to an album and only one album, constantly, for at least 3 days. if it gets boring by the 3rd day, it's not good music. trash it. move on to the next one. repeat.
the best albums are the ones you'll never get tired of listening to.
also break this habit of immediately downloading any album that sounds even remotely interesting. try to slow the fuck down, and download 5 albums max at a time, and only download more when you've listened to each of them at least 5 times. this will allow you to fully absorb every minute detail in the music and appreciate it more deeply.

also every once in a while, you have to clear out your library of music that you don't think you're ever gonna listen to again. don't adopt this a hoarder mindset where you think "ohh but i might feel like listening to them again in the future". this is stupid. if you haven't had the urge to listen to a particular artist or album for at least a month or two, it's time to boot it from your library. this is especially important if you have limited space, otherwise you end up with 80% of your library being crap that you never touch

Listen to The Cure right now

Listen to this

Attached: 2.jpg (900x900, 290K)

Continue exploring classics and find music that speaks to your soul that you can be a part of and explore deeply, it's far more rewarding than fleeting curiosities

start with the greeks

If I don't download any album that sounds remotely interesting, then I'd feel as if I could be missing out. What if there was my favourite album of all time that I hypothetically disregarded?
Also I don't listen to 2 tracks from an album, but I could never constantly listen to one album for three days. I need variety, that's how I don't burn out. I also have songs I wanna listen to randomly, how would that work? I'm certainly not gonna give up on those, my general enjoyment would downward spiral!

>burial
if you've listened to Untrue and his self-titled, i recommend exploring some more dubstep/garage since there's more out there than just Burial. try Shackleton's "Three EPs" and Skream's self-titled

>tribal ambient vaporwave
i don't know if you're missing some commas here or something but i personally see vaporwave as a dead-end genre so i wouldn't spend much time exploring it.
ambient and tribal-influenced music however has a lot of scope. If you want a bit of both try Banco De Gaia's "Big Men Cry"

i'm trying not to give you too many reccs at once otherwise you'll just get choice paralysis and that's the worst fucking thing about it
just remember that there are halfbaked ideas and copycats in every single genre and you'll get a good perspective of this if you just go back in history to the roots of each genre. eventually you'll instantly be able to tell the difference between ingenious originality and derivative forgettable crap

>not discovering an amazing album and listening to it every day for weeks
are you a robot?

Well I could get worried of spoiling it, but I generally did that a very long time ago when my taste was shit, I don't listen to those albums anymore

>If I don't download any album that sounds remotely interesting, then I'd feel as if I could be missing out
i've probably missed out on hundreds of albums that i'd now consider 8/10s or 9/10s but that's the way it is when you go through shittons of music. try this: make a very long list of albums that you wanna listen to one day, then categorise them by genre, mood, or instrumentation (orchestral? organic? electronic?), then categorise further down by style (psychedelic? repetitive? hypnotic?). the tags themselves aren't too important, you don't have to stick to current genre-naming conventions. just do it in your own personal way.
then one day when you feel like listening to some new music, just pick out whatever category you're craving and listen to the albums listed. try not to rush through them either, take the time to savour every moment, but also don't force yourself through an album if you REALLY hate it, hoping that it would pick up at some point. (you can revisit these albums at a later time and surprise yourself with how your opinion changes)

>I could never constantly listen to one album for three days
well i didn't mean listen to nothing but that one album, you can go ahead and listen to music you already like just to take a break from it. my point is to never be listen to more than two or three new albums at once, otherwise it's an overload of unfamiliarity and you won't be able to fully absorb it.
taking breaks and listening to music you already enjoy is a good way to gain perspective on the new stuff you're listening to as well

don't worry about spoiling it. you cannot spoil a good album. i listened to pic related for weeks and weeks and weeks, while taking breaks by listening to even more dub techno and ambient, and i'm still not tired of it. this album is a masterpiece and i will never get bored of it. the sounds just speak for themselves.
this is also one of the albums that i actually found really boring on first listen, and i ended up coming back to it and it just clicked. it's now in my top 5 of all time.
highly recommended if you enjoy hypnotic ambient stuff

Attached: liumin.jpg (474x474, 51K)

I really like your first idea, and I like the idea of having 3 days mainly focused on one album, but rewarding yourself with familiar music? That would make music kind of a chore, don't you think? I mean I probably do it subconsciously, but then let me do it subconsciously.

i said nothing about "rewarding" yourself, i'm just saying that if the unfamiliarity, then go back to music you already enjoy or just stop listening for a bit. you almost always get a better perspective on a piece of music if your listens are across a larger time frame, since your mood subconsciously affects your enjoyment of it.
enjoying music should never be a chore, but to fully appreciate an esoteric album, you need a little patience and the ability to shift your mindset

*if the unfamiliarity gets too much and you begin to feel lost
is what i meant to say. dunno how i missed half an entire sentence

>tribal ambient x
>funeral doom metal
listen to In An Excrutiating Way... by Wormphlegm and The Pernicious Enigma bu e
Esoteric. Seems up your alley.

Oh, I like being unfamiliar, if anything I adjust to that style of music and attempt to understand it by listening more of the genre.

just avoid death grips if you're starting, else you'll turn into full retardation and that's a once in a lifetime opportunity

Hey OP, this youtube channel is great, a ton of full albums that I love, give them all a listen, good variety.
youtube.com/channel/UCDREYhOSIDeNhy-B5aKjp7A/videos

examples :
youtube.com/watch?v=rNFWmefujzM

youtube.com/watch?v=9zyFtYWFCH4

youtube.com/watch?v=yi45OoQOrtI

youtube.com/watch?v=mfT-C2FE3y4&t=315s

Attached: tumblr_oq0b0j0yB61w82gxko1_500.jpg (500x672, 71K)

STOP everything you're doing right now and bump Day69