Why does every samurai movie ever have 100% on rotten tomatoes?

Why does every samurai movie ever have 100% on rotten tomatoes?

Why are the American Ninja movies rated so low?

Because the ones you end up hearing about are probably the cream of the crop.

Because 98 percent of them are kurosawa and he was the best director of all time.

Kurosawa samurai films are great, that's why.

Except Rashomon, I can't remember if it was good or not.

This

>Except Rashomon, I can't remember if it was good or not.

Rashomon is a good movie, but it's not a Samurai movie. The period it takes place in predates Samurai.

They existed. The guy who gets killed is a samurai.

>The guy who gets killed is a samurai.

He didn't come off as Samurai to me. His sword and clothing don't look like typical standard Samurai attire. His sword in particular is a kind that had stopped being made before Samurai came around. So I figured that the movie took place in the Heian Era.

Which Kurosawa movie movie should i watch first? I am a complete layman on his work and the genre.

Yojimbo or Seven Samurai would be a good start

If you go with Seven Samurai, be warned that it's over 3 hours long.

I would just look up some plots on rotten tomatoes and watch the one that sounds the most interesting. I didn't Seven Samurai or Ran, but the plot of Rashomon sounded interesting to me and I liked it.

Yojimbo.

thanks, i just download this two and flip a coin

Lol.

This is the only 10/10 samurai movie that exists outside japan.
Prove me wrong

I've Watched Yojimbo, Hara-Kiri, Seven Samurai and Hidden Fortress, what other samurai movies should I watch now?

Suggestion: Stray Dog. I watched it after a few US noir movies from the late 50's and I couldn't believe it was made in 1949. Great fun, satisfying climax, wild camera work.

Ran, Kagemusha, Sword of Doom, Miyamoto Musashi pts 1 and 2.

And while they're technically gangster movies, I would recommend the entire Zatoichi series. With the exception of that god-awful piece of shit reboot starring Takeshi Kitano.

Because the movie reel is folded over 1000 times

What?

It used to be 100% a few years ago.

>Seven Samurai
>poster has six

What didn't you like about it?

Second one in the post, loved the movie and my favorite part was when the lord realizes all his lieutenants were defeated already.
Thanks user, I forgot to write Ran but I will follow the other recommendations.

Honestly don't understand the obsession people have with samurai and gangster movies. They're all just fun action flicks, nothing more. Godfather and Seven Samurai are just fun flicks, admit it.

because rotten tomatoes is a joke

capeshit gets higher rates than malick there

>Godfather and Seven Samurai are just fun flicks
There's so much more than the plot and the setting in those movies. Literally every aspect of those works is perfect, from music to costumes.

>music to costumes
Terminator has great music and costumes too. They're both fun action flicks, I'm not denying that. But they have no place in top 100 best kino of all time, they're flicks.

>What didn't you like about it?

The reboot? Too flashy and gimmicky, like the rest of modern Japanese cinema. Japan's film industry ceased being good on the whole back in the 90s. There's seldom anything worth watching anymore. Their live action TV shows are only slightly decent if only on account that they're so cheaply done that they can't afford the things that make Jap movies garbage.

47 Ronin didn't

Absolutely Yojimbo. It's the inspiration behind a fistful of dollars, it's not 3 hours long and Mifune is charismatic as fuck

thanks lads