Sister is way fucking better than this album. Why does anyone think this is their best?

Sister is way fucking better than this album. Why does anyone think this is their best?

Attached: 71b15upe61L._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1500, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LwXVvQoQfP4&list=PLEjRTGIBlP_Yn5DlV8afwrDdC0pljGsOP
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because it's better than Sister

crazy huh?

Sister is garbage.

Daydream Nation is at least tolerable, though not quite good.

what the fuck is wrong with you people. Please explain why you think this.

t. Goo-lover

DDN has a more consinstent sound/atmosphere. and the production is way better (inb4 audioplebs disagree about the production)

True and evol, confusion is sex, bmr are better yet

Sister is noise rock, but in the worst possible way. It's almost exclusively noise, and noise that gives me a blistering headache at that.
There's nothing enjoyable about the sounds, lack of melody, or "singing," no, not even the mood or vibe is nice.

Daydream Nation on the other hand at least has decent production, and I found myself enjoying it whenever Moore was singing. Every time Kim opened up her mouth though it ruined the flow the album was getting into.
Probably my least favorite singer of all time.

>Plebeian
Daydream nation, Goo, Dirty, Sister
>Contrarian
Bad Moon Rising, Murray Street
>Patrician
Washing Machine, Evol

I think the lofi really lends to Sonic Youth's sound, all the guitars are way more cutting and impactful. DDN is kinda dull in comparison, maybe not cause of production but it just isn't as memorable if you ask me.

Sister isn't timeless the way Daydream Nation is. To me, Sister was the tedious part of that shoegaze flowchart. Noise pop had it's run, but I'm afraid it's gotten quite silly.

That one-two-one-two-titty song is asswhipe.

>That one-two-one-two-titty song is asswhipe.

pleb filter, i hated it at first

I seriously don't understand the love for Daydream Nation, but I didn't get into Sonic Youth until four years ago so maybe it is something that I had to experience in the 90's.

After going through their whole catalog, the only albums I ever return to are Bad Moon Rising, Sister, Evol, and The Destroyed Room and occasionally the soundtrack for the French film.

It's literally a straight upgrade from Sister. It has everything Sister has but the songs are more fully-fleshed out and generally better written, there's greater variety, more experimentation and a more satisfying overall album arc.

Sister is probably the worst album they released in the 80s, although it's still very good.

this

I could not disagree more with your entire first point. There are tons of melodies all over the album, catchy guitar parts everywhere, interesting song structures. It manages to stay gripping almost consistently throughout the whole album.

>Sister is probably the worst album they released in the 80s
That's not Confusion is Sex.

>Sister is noise rock, but in the worst possible way. It's almost exclusively noise, and noise that gives me a blistering headache at that.
Wew lad. I can't imagine what you'd think about Confusion Is Sex.

>Plebeian
Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty
>Contrarian
Bad Moon Rising, Confusion Is Sex, Experimental Jet Set, NYC Ghosts & Flowers, The Eternal
>Patrician
EVOL, Sister, Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped

Incinerate is a cool song but the lyrics are fuckin lammmmmeeee

>It's almost exclusively noise, and noise that gives me a blistering headache at that.

lol

Experimental Jet Set belongs in Patrician. Murray Street definitely does not.

To each their own. I'm not saying if you disagree you're wrong, music is subjective, like any art form.
But I personally don't see the appeal in Sonic Youth for the most part.
Don't let the fact that I don't like it stop you from enjoying it mate.
I wish everything I listened to "clicked" for me, but alas it doesn't.
Sister & DDN are the only albums I've heard of theirs, and quite frankly since neither are really the type of thing I enjoy I haven't the motivation to delve deeper into their catalog.

Washing Machine, Evol, and The Eternal were their best but I loved Dirty, Daydream Nation, Goo, Sister, Bad Moon Rising, and Sonic Nurse too.

>music is subjective

musical TASTE is subjective, music itself is not

The ending of The Sprawl is the best thing I've ever heard

more like it?

fuck off retard

You know what I meant.

And if you really want to get into that argument, you have to realize that everything in the universe is subjective. Not to say there isn't an objective reality (that's a hard maybe) but since we are bound by our perceptions of the outside world, we can never truly know what is "real" and what isn't.

Largely though in principle, yeah I agree with you. Musical Taste is subjective, although music itself can (to a degree) being described objectively.

>more like it?
you would probably like thurston moore's newest solo album.
youtube.com/watch?v=LwXVvQoQfP4&list=PLEjRTGIBlP_Yn5DlV8afwrDdC0pljGsOP

post-rock

Patrician is the self titled one

OP here listening to Evol now, quite liking it. 40 mins is such a perfect length for an album.

no u

go slap your asshole clown

wtf

When are we going to tell the truth?

lett's be real ,after '91 or so SY where Gefen's ass hoes

>muh I believe Anita Hill

when's the real story going to be told?

What do you guys think of A Thousand Leaves? It's one of their best albums, in my opinion, but nobody ever mentions it. Am I wrong?

>muh the CIA where made up of southern rednecks

SyY have a lot to answer for

That's a bonus track, not part of the album.

Two words: SILVER ROCKET!

yep

recent favorite:

>we couldn't afford health insurance so we signed with Geffen

Attached: 14453526565790.jpg (250x241, 7K)

basic gestalt?

Sonic Youth signed a contract with David Geffin ≈ '89

Take anything after that with a HUGE grain of salt.

>Stands in your way

Attached: Sonic_Youth_EVOL.jpg (600x588, 170K)

Because Daydream Nation has altogether better compositions and much stronger guitar harmonies. I do think Sister has more in the way of variety and ambition, tracks like Beauty Is The Eye and Pacific Coast Highway marks the tail end of the artsier tendencies of very early SY, like In The Kingdom #19 was in Sister for example. However, the more song-based moments like Schizophrenia, Stereo Sanctity, Tuff Gnarl? Daydream Nation absolutely improves on the base songwriting style in which the band was clearly moving in at the time, away from the abstractions of Bad Moon Rising and EVOL and more into something more concretely formed. Most every song on Daydream Nation is indeed a logical evolution from what the band was trying to accomplish with Sister.

I think it's their most challenging major release. Sunday aside, there's almost nothing about it that's an easy listen. Certainly doesn't help that it's not only heavy on Kim songs, but the Kim songs in question are her operating at an unusually abstract level. I do like it but I would never recommend it as someone's first SY album.

Honestly, easily their best album.

Sister has more bangers
Schizophrenia = their best song

Confusion is sex is their best

I do not understand the kim gordon hate
I really like her vocals

hi nic

her vocals are sex, there's maybe two other female vocalists i can think of that can be classified as such

>Bad Moon Rising
>>Contrarian
How is it contrarian to not be enough of a brainlet to think that alt rock is better than no wave?

she's great, virgins are just mad bc she's a woman
much better vocalist than thurston "i have the stupidest first name of all time" moore

Nah senpai.
I love female Vocalists. Joni Mitchell, Susanne Sundfor, & Anais Mitchell are some of my favorite vocalists period.

But I can't stand Kim's voice. Thurston Moore isn't an amazing vocalist, but he feels much more competent than her. Not to mention bearable.

please, Sup Forums, just stop talking about sonic youth, ok?

Please?

Shan't

Would you rather we talked about crimes and paramore?

Yeah I agree, I was gonna make the exact same thread the other day. I don't think it's "way" better tho, Daydream Nation is still good.

Congrats on having good taste.

sister's recording sounds so weak, listen to any live recording from the era, 10 x better

I find DDN to have a much weaker recording, it was always the thing that bothered me the most about the album.