Why do Americans speak English that bad? Damn...

Why do Americans speak English that bad? Damn, they have a president whose vocabulary seems to equate vocabulary of an 8 year old child. Sometimes I visit /brit/ just to enjoy good English language and get a rest of all this American gibberish I read on int constantly. They also use absolutely plebeian words usually. On the other hand, when I read Poe or Melville I see perfect English language. What's happened to English language in America?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_iPKtWe90A8
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rRWTTFBxM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And moreover, I see many people from non-Anglo countries, not ex-Anglo colonies and even people with non-Germanic languages as their native languages who speak English better than citizens of the United States of A. Moreover, I frequently encounter Americans who make awful grammar mistakes despite grammar is supposed to be naturally acquired in a very young age automatically; yet Americans seem to be incapable of it sometimes. And I don't think amount of foreign born Americans is large enough to explain such a widespread phenomenon of gramatically challenged Americans.

yes

American English is the only correct form of English

correct

Why would anyone care what a russian thinks about british english and american english as if he'd know

Ebonics is actually very popular in the USA. Since their love of nigger culture is so great. I'm not even memeing

Ebonics is more complex than the standard American English actually: it has slightly different grammar, being more synthetic than fully analytic American English.
t. I have listened to the course of English language and it history from some American university.
It's not, and even from this point of view abnormal bulk of Americans struggle using it.

Outsider point of view is often useful. Anglos have prejudice against foreign dialects of English usually, a person who learnt it as a foreign language has a clear, unbiased view.

>be french person
>talking in english
>doesn't know how to say a word
>say it in French
>it actually exists in English and it's a fancy word that only cultured people use
>it makes you look clever, when in fact, you're dumb as bricks

Feels good mang

This Russian is more articulate than you and most of your fellow countrymen, that I see posting here on a daily basis.

Does it actually have a matter?

it's not articulate, it's just two paragraphs of autism. There isn't actually much difference between standard American and standard UK English.

>it's not articulate, it's just two paragraphs of autism
this kek. It's also riddled with mistakes...

My English is obviously not perfect, but I still can enjoy this language. You don't have to be a composer to criticize a music.
>There isn't actually much difference between standard American and standard UK English.
There is a huge difference in an ability of Americans and Brits to speak this language.

>bad?
badly

>seems to equate
seems to equal

>rest of all this
rest from all this

Also, English was simplified from Old English to Middle English in the 11th century, which is on the Brits' watch. And from Middle English to modern English a few hundred years later, also on their watch. American English is not English (Simplified), as the Brits already allowed the language to get face-fucked by rampaging Danes and Normans.

tl;dr: Fuck off Ivan, this is worse than a Canadian post.

>Portuguese
good
>Portuguese flag
better
>Uses Brazilian spelling inside
to the trash it goes

I'd honestly rather they just used the Brazilian flag everywhere, since the gramar/vocabulary changes are very distracting to read.

Because sit on a bottle, russian pig

Isnt american english more original english?
Do brits ever have difficulty in understanding them?

>Uses Brazilian spelling inside
>to the trash it goes

Please inform me on how different BR Portuguese is from proper Portuguese

>Why do Continentals speak Chinese that bad? Damn, they have a president whose vocabulary seems to equate vocabulary of an 8 year old child. Sometimes I visit /sino/ just to enjoy good Chinese language and get a rest of all this Continental gibberish I read on int constantly. They also use absolutely plebeian words usually. On the other hand, when I read Mao or Sun Tzu I see perfect Chinese language. What's happened to Chinese language in PRC?

vocabulary and spelling it's the same gauge of difference as British/American English. They call stuff Ônibus instead of Autocarro (bus) and stuff like that.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they switch some pronouns around the sentence.

To say "I was myself" we'd write
>Eu lavo-me
Whereas they'd say
>Eu me lavo

This is called ênclise and próclise respectively, and there's also mesóclise: "I would wash myself":
>Eu larvar-me-ia

We, Euro Portuguese use all three in different structures. Brazilians tend to only use the próclise for the most part, and when they use the ênclise, it's in situations where we wouldn't. Also, they never use the fancier mesóclise.

It's not that they're wrong and we're right, but it's very strange to read fluently because the order is weird. That and they don't use the correct second-person-singular word "tu" and use "você" instead and conjugate it with the 3rd person conjugation (although we both do this for plurals).

It's always some minor annoyances that makes it sound weird and it defaults your inner voice to mimick a Brazilian accent which is also funny-sounding at times.

French loan words in English have a certain "je ne sais quoi" about them. "Rendezvous", "coup d'etat" etc. maybe they sound sophisticated because of the Anglo-Norman aristocracy in England after the invasion in 1066 A.D.

Nah, the loan words that kept their actual French pronunciation are much more recent.

The ones from the Normans would be the ones you use everyday as "English" words for regular latin-root nouns.

Is Brazilian a simplified or niggerized form of Portuguese? I read that Portuguese can understand Brazilians but Brazilians can't understand Portuguese or need subtitles while watching a video/TV show of them speaking.

Notice how in the picture, Chinese also does this with China (simplified) vs Taiwan (traditional). Does that mean Taiwanese is the more correct dialect of Chinese?

>Portuguese option
>no indicative of region
>it's PT-PT

i cri errytime

Nevermind. Found the explanation.

>Isnt american english more original english?
I think in pronunciation but probably not in vocabulary.

>Do brits ever have difficulty in understanding them?
Never, we grow up listening to American English through media. I have a much harder time understanding some other British dialects than any American one.

Not really.

Euro Portuguese is definitely thicker and more complex to speak phonetically (lots of closed and muted sounds with nuances so small they wouldn't show up in a vowel map).

Brazilian Portuguese is more archaic in some words, and sounds more "Romance" since it opens the vowels a ton, not unlike Spanish but definitely nowhere near the same extent. It's unclear now if 19th century Portuguese (when we both broke off) had open vowels or if it's the amount of slaves that opened them up - Brazilian Portuguese has a lot more African/Native words that open their vowels by default.

Galician (basically same language as Portuguese) sounds somewhere in between, even before the castillian influence, so maybe Portuguese at one point was midway between Modern Euro Portuguese and Modern Brazilian Portuguese.

Brazilian definitely sounds sweeter and softer, whereas ours sounds harsher and more serious. Under certain contexts this leads them to sound obnoxious and uneducated (like Spanish sounds to English speakers) and us sounding drunk and slurred.

But it's definitely not "simpler". It's equally as complex a language and has as much potential for beauty as ours, in their own way.

It is ever? Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I've rarely seen it. We mostly keep to the English net whereas you guys sort of have your own internet pockets.

Refugees not learning english, or not going in-depth in learning english

Sounds more intense than British vs. American honestly, especially word order.

We drop the 'u' from spelling and change 's' to 'z' for -zation suffix, but words like color and sterilization are still pronounced identically. There are quite a lot of vocabulary divergences (and even stagnations as well) in the Englishes though. Trunk vs. boot, chips vs. fries, biscuit vs. cookie, lift vs. elevator. Stagnation is a lot more interesting, as Brits lost quite a few words that we continued to word: fall (season), faucet, diaper, candy, skillet, and eyeglasses that went extinct in British English but we still kept. Due to the rise of American English on the internet Brits might actually use some of those again, not sure.

But word order? Not in General American English, no way. African American Vernacular, maybe. They just drop entire verbs (he is dead -> he dead)

Lmao. Why? Is it hard to understand?

The difference is definitely more evident in the Portuguese flavours than the English ones.

It's not unintelligible by any means, just a bit cumbersome to keep your attention and not focus on the differences. And since we have a more closed accent AND less penetration in the Brazilian market, it's definitely easier for us.

Here's a difference:
BR: youtube.com/watch?v=_iPKtWe90A8
PT: youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rRWTTFBxM

They sound vaguely like a mix between Spanish and Russian, whereas we sound just plain Russian/Polish.

>But it's definitely not "simpler". It's equally as complex a language and has as much potential for beauty as ours, in their own way.

I think I came to this conclusion because I read that Portuguese to Brazilian intelligibility is one sided. Then I read on Wikipedia that non mutual intelligibility is often due to languages being simplified in colonial lands from the motherland (ex: Dutch vs. Afrikaans). I put both of those together and thought "therefore, it's because Brazilian is more simple than Portuguese". While it is more complex than that, you do mention that Brazilians use only one grammar form and Portuguese use three, and that seems like simplification to me.

Yes, but then again on the other hand, they use the Future and Conditional conjugations of verbs more often than we do (we still use them, but not as much), and we just use the "going to" equivalent, which is not as formal or classy.

We can still read those without sounding weird, but we wouldn't use them by default most of the time. It's definitely a two-sided thing in the grammar aspect.

The bigger country with the more immigrants is always bound to have an easier accent to accommodate the newcomers. Portugal is essentially an island, isolation-wise, so it becomes more closed and amplified in what you can cut out (i.e. vowels).

Brazilians would say "con-for-tá-vel" for "comfortable". We just go "cnfrtávl", because we only talk to other Portuguese speakers and no foreigners or slaves.

Also, Brazil sounds less classy here because Brazil is a poorer country, and the language tends to be associated with it, but it doesn't actually make their grammar simpler, and definitely not in every construction.

Holy moley, you Portuguese really love the "sh" and rolling R sounds

Trump just talk like that to cater to his voters

trump also votes for himself so you think about that famalam

oh fugg :DDDD

It is a current social trend (for the last 15 to 20 years) that using difficult words makes you sound autistic and makes people think you're a cunt.

15 to 20 years ago our media started creating trends of using unusual words. For example: Aerosmith released their song Jaded...suddenly everyone, everything, every fucking news anchor used that fucking word for a year, non stop.

Shit like this went on for a while. People got sick of it, because it was fucking obnoxious. From then on people have shunned it.

It will make a come-back though, once current trends change.

The short "R" sound is ubiquitous. The long "R" sound can either be rolled (usually interior/lower class) or scratched like the French guttural one (usual more urban and higher class). This is interchangeable, but most people use one of them 95% of the time and the other way less often.

The division is almost 50/50 as to which people use.

That narrator in particular rolls the R, but more and more people now have began to use the guttural French one, as it's deemed less hill-billy.

The 'sh" is always funny, because it's very very short "sh", to the point where we don't even think about it as a "sh". We use it every time there's an S or a Z at either the end of the word, or before another consonant. Brazilians for the most part only use it before the consonants, and use the regular English "s" at the end of the word (depends on the region, I think).

But foreigners always emphasise it a lot and it begins sounding pretty weird to us.

>Moreover

>He used Moreover followed by using a comma correctly, as well as other conclusion-indicators

You're a bong, or an Ozzy with an education.

Fuck off

They use some specific words that you can't use logic to understand. An example is the screen resolution. In PT-BR it's usually "dimensões de tela", in PT-PT "dimensões de ecrã". Had to change to english, it's easier.

I once had an italian and a portuguese teacher. The italian talked in a heavy italian accent and mixed italian and portuguese words, but it was still easier to understand what he said than the portuguese teacher said.

t. dumb nigger

portugueses falam tão mal do português brasileiro lol. Deveríamos mudar o nome do idioma pra brasileiro e português vai ficar sendo falado por apenas 10 milhões de pessoas. LIXO