Arrival Thread

Is this the most retarded movie about aliens in history of mankind?

I certainly can't think of anything worse from the 2010s.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innateness_hypothesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I certainly can't think of anything worse from the 2010s.
i can.but since you're too stupid and this is a bait thread i won't waste any of my time with you.
Goodbye.

Boy I sure am sad that a guy, who types like a retard and for whom this was the 2nd best movie of 2016 after Rogue One, isn't going to tell me his opinion.

Arrival was great, you probably didn't like it because:
1. you didn't get it, and anything you don't understand is bad, lol
2. not enough explosions or action, and you found the pacing and general flow of the film to be ""boring""
3. expected a "turn your brain off lel" movie, but was presented with something smart that acutally makes you think
4. saw the film in very low quality (lel underage/poorfag pirates) and are judging the film's quality on such a shitty presentation
5. people you dislike like the film therefore you dislike the film
6. perhaps you haven't yet even seen the film, and are only memeing for replies

single n33t who went with his mum here i guessed the same thing and thought it was shit

At least try to type it like you're not posting bait

You're just saying that because it had a female POTUS and the main hero was a female too

girl power!

dude china and military are stupid brutes lmao

Hey I went with my mom too.

but she wasnt :/

Everyone who liked this movie deserves a bullet through the brain

that's the joke dum-dum

Wait no. I think he deleted his comment because he was actually retarded. My mistake.

>deleting "Do you want to make a baby?"

looks like someone here didn't get the MOVIE REFERNCE

why cant people admit she fucking time traveled with her mind?

>time traveled with her mind
Dude...

Not her but what's wrong about what she said? This wouldn't be the first movie with mind time travel.

Not her but it's a retarded concept that shouldn't exist in the first place

renner and colonel nigger would agree she never left the alien site yet she comes back with information from the future that saves the present.

/TIME TRAVEL/

Well maybe depending on how it's portrayed. It was great in the Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth video game.

Loved it, thought it was haunting and beautiful.

A lot of people love that concept, so to suggest it shouldn't exist because you're a special snowflake who doesn't like it is ridiculous.

>Is this the most retarded movie about aliens in history of mankind?
No. It's a fantastic film. Best sci-fi film in recent memory.

Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

>Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space

How you can like one and not the other is beyond me, they're both fantastic and very similar in many ways.

>one of the most naive alien movies ever made ("make one phone call to some dweeb in China saying random Chinese shit and this stops them from attacking the aliens, whose spaceships were impenetrable in the first place, and somehow the fact that there's one person who now speaks alien...means something")

>haunting

>saying random Chinese shit

Saying things she couldn't possibly know, not "random shit." This board is awful, you can't even tell if someone this stupid is trolling.

Don't get me wrong, when I watched Interstellar for the first time in the movie theater, high as fuck, I had a great time. It was a movie that was made for the big screen, some of the shots were absolutely beautiful. Like when they're taking off from Earth and you have Michael Caine reciting that poem in the background or when they're passing Saturn and all you can hear is thunder and rain.

But I recently rewatched it and it seems so forced. McConaughey speaks in that deep, raspy voice and draaaws ooouuut hiiis woords aas iif eeveeryythiingg hee saaays iiis heeaaavy and full of meaning. Then Murphy asking if they can 'let the drone go, it wasn't hurting anyone' and them treating it like it was a living being and not a machine. Then entering a black hole somehow makes you go into another dimension...

I honestly shouldn't have ever rewatched it, but should have kept that first experience from the big screen.

the ayyys made her ability to deduce future events higher, there is no time travel, retard

the janitor who does it for free either hasn't seen the movie and failed to realise that the lol I didn't understand the movie post was not what actually happens in the movie, or he saw the movie and thought this is what actually happened. my guess is the latter.

fuck your ban

>sort of underdog movie release without much fanfare is enjoyed as an underrated movie from critics and even gain a certain niche
>people on Sup Forums who actually had gone watching it praise and discuss it in a surprisingly polite way by the board's standards.

>movie is finally out
>daily/weekly thread about how X is overhyped and shitty and if you dare to say otherwise you are a shill from reddit with no taste because it was "objectively" bad and no discussion is allowed bar memes and buzzwords.

EVERY
TIME

you seem lost and uninformed. see

>McConaughey speaks in that deep, raspy voice

So?

>Then Murphy asking if they can 'let the drone go, it wasn't hurting anyone'

She's a kid, what are you even complaining about? Kids talk that way about their stuffed animals. Adults talk that way about their cars. People in general do shit like that constantly. Pretty sure it's implied that the drone was equipped with pretty advanced AI anyway.

>Then entering a black hole somehow makes you go into another dimension

No, he was pulled into the Tesseract, which is a device/construct created by humans in the future, allowing Coop to perceive time as a physical dimension and move through it in space.

DUDE NON-LINEAR TIME LMAO

Don't forget they're the same people who complain about Hollywood not making original movies.

meanwhile actual spoilers go unpunished

bravo

Could you explain why you thought it was retarded?

You must not watch many movies if Arrival is the most retarded film you've seen in that many years.

>Saying things she couldn't possibly know,
And he would have no idea why she's saying it, and if she prefaced this with "yo, this is what your dead wife said" there are hundred more likely reactions to have than that. The fact that he even let her talk so long is about as realistic as the Trainspotitng toilet scene.

>lying about what happens in a movie, then complaining about your made-up version of the movie as though it's real

Hmm, remarkably similar in nature to all of the political crying that happens here

>>people on Sup Forums who actually had gone watching

See, that's the problem. When you actually go to the cinema to watch a movie, you cannot criticize is without some amount of extra hype. You don't want to admit you went to a shit movie. It's a natural congitive dissonance, heightened by the fact of all the sheep in the cinema going "ooooh!" "aaaaah!".

If you want to review a movie in a fair and unbiased way, watch it all alone.

It was ok, the topic was cool but it could have been better. It was too obvious and not subtle enough. Also, it is not "weird" enough, while they did a good effort on aliens, somehow it's a bit too easy to manage to communicate. There should have been some sort of block in translation, as you can assume the alien psychology could be completely different. Aliens where psychologically too anthropomorphic and their language is just a normal language with the cycling twist related to time cycle when it could have been more than that.

I am going to make the purely rhetorical question if you actually think this was an original movie

please don't answer it, because if the answer is yes, this might just kill me

If someone repeats back to you something that you've never told anyone before in detail, you're going to be hanging on their every word, wondering how they acquired magical powers to see into your mind. What "more likely reactions"? Fucking absurd, I really hope for your own sake that you're trolling.

Arrival is Villeneuve's latest yearly-attempt to convince pseudo-cinephiles that he's an artist. In it, he has a vague non-sensical sci-fi plot about time travel. Where smart films, such as the original Iron Man or Christopher Nolan's Inception, construct a believable world and then weave sci-fi themes around it, Arrival goes full idiocy. We get telepathic aliens that look like hands and can see the future who teach Amy Adams to time travel so that she can save the world so that the world can save the aliens in the future. Sounds stupid? That's because it is. And don't be confused by the trailers, there are no big set-pieces, no explosions or shoot-outs. Just 2 hours of Amy Adams acting confused before she realises that Jeremy Renner is the father of her dead baby from the future. Yeah.
Arrival is an attempt to copy Nolan's contemporary classic, Interstellar, but without the interesting space-travel and without the emotional impact that leaves you in tears. I'd say Villeneuve needs to take a break from filmmaking to figure out his strengths, but BladeRunner 2 is coming soon so we know there's no hope of that happening.

Not that guy but I feel exactly like that. Arrival was great, while Interestellar was meh and actually annoying at some points (specially the ending).

In Arrival there is one single idea and just one or two themes explored. They take a "what if" scenario, analyze it and reach a conclusion. The tension is on how certain core conflicts will be resolved (communication with aliens, diplomacy, how to react to knowing your future, etc.) and it does it fairly well. I guess the word to describe it is "tight".

Interestellar on the other hand is just a bunch of adventures in space, and they are mostly quite lame. With the exception of the water planet, the highlight of the film that actually felt like proper space exploring sci-fi, the rest falls very short of the potential it could have. The ice planet degrades into a fairly stupid betrayal, a predictable punch fight and an anime-like climax ("Oh no! No one would be able to manually couple the ship!"). The director tries to copy 2001 with the movie's climax but fails completely because A) the characters spend like 10 minutes doing plain exposition, B) time-travel self-consistency explanation which has been done a 100 times before and better and C) muh love.

Then there is the ending which is awful for reasons I shouldn't have to list. MC surviving for no reason, building up an emotional encounter with his daughter just to finish with a dry and underwhelming conversation, etc.

she deduces the info, like when you see in your mind what will happen in case you rob someone

but you are probably a nigger, so you do not have this frontal lobe ability

the ayys just make it absurdly higher

>people still think that being able to perceive time as a non-linear aspect counts as time travel because that's the only way they can understand it

>>lying

I guess that explains the image

and explains why you liked the movie

and explains why you're so butthurt now and projecting your lies onto me

your entire post, explained by the first word in it

She literally called some fucking nobody in China ("general Shang" - as if there's only one holy anointed one who decides the entire army's orders in any army anywhere on the world)

who picked up the phone in the first place instead of being on the shitter
who let her talk on the phone instead of dumping the call 2 seconds in as any normal person would
who reacted to what she said as "oh my god, the fact that you told me these words must mean I must trust you with everything" instead of reacting like a normal person (=not like that)

it's just so hilarious

you literally have to be a complete fucking moron to accept this.

It's asking for suspension of disbelief on the most grandest scale I've ever seen in the 2000s.

If I had to compare this movie to something, it would be Shyalaman's "THE HAPPENING".

this guy's bait sets the bar high. he wants you to believe he has a hundred more likely reactions for a chinese general in the middle of an unprecedented moment of mankind hearing his wife's dying words repeated to him on a private line by stranger, and this guy is completely ready and willing to enumerate these reactions to you.

>Arrival is Villeneuve's latest yearly-attempt to convince pseudo-cinephiles that he's an artist.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that Prisoners was also excruciatingly horrible for similar reasons as Arrival.

Again
>pretends to be realistic
>in fact takes an overdose of suspension of disbelief to live through

The general was already certain that the aliens had hostile intentions, then he receives a phone call from an unknown number talking about something no one on earth should know besides you. I think a more plausible reaction would be to think that the aliens are reading your mind and playing tricks with you. It really didn't make any sense for him to just immediately drop all his skepticism, it would have made much more sense for it to have the reverse effect.

Hey

hey, you stupid little delusional cunt

I will now tell you how an actual, real person would reply to what she told him on the phone:

Who the fuck told you that, you laowai whore? Americans bug my house? Fuck you gwailo!! FUCK!!

I disagree completely with respect to the language, it's actually very clever and it doesn't have to do with cycles. I admit the movie has problems in that it doesn't explain it fully, but in the short story it is made clear that the most interesting part of the language is HOW the aliens write it. Humans go from left to right, from the first word to the last, in an ordered way that tends to follow cause and effect. In the alien language it doesn't, and they write sentences starting at any random point, because they know exactly what they are going to write from the start. It's like writing a sentence from the middle and randomly fill in words, and leaving the exact space for every letter without making a mistake.

Of course this ties directly with them seeing time as non-linear.

Just because people hang up on you 2 seconds after you call them doesn't mean that's the normal response. I've misdialed people before and had entire conversations apologising to them for it

And I've answered calls from numbers I don't recognise, because that frequently happens in the real world. I don't have the doctor's phone-number saved in my phone, but am awaiting a follow-up
So the only way I can get an appointment is by answering a number I don't have saved
Same goes for job offers, business deals, old friends trying to get in touch etc

What if it's a paramedic calling to tell you a loved one is in critical condition? Oh right, you don't have any loved ones...

Holy shit that's funny.

exactly, some people here are this retarded

and then he hangs up, by the way

not that it matters, since nothing bad would happen if they, you know, actually attacked their invincible ships, so all the "drama" build up was maybe clenching the buttocks of the "oh no! my poor alien babies! nooo!" low testosterone viewers, but not someone with actual brain functions intact

>Just because people hang up on you

I will refer you here and stop reading your delusions right there

>implying an officer's spouse dies at home
99 reactions more, master critic

>and stop reading your delusions right there
yeah, that's probably easier than exposing yourself to how normal people function in society

Idiots always get caught up on stupid shit like this. No one cares what you personally think would happen in the case of this phone call, it certainly isn't a problem with the movie. She proved to him that the technology/weapon/object the aliens were offering was benign, that's it. Whether or not you think the proof was adequate based on some scenario you've imagined in your head is totally irrelevant.

You forgot that it was the coronel's private phone which very few people had.

It makes perfect sense, you are just too dumb and I think kind of autistic in the unironic way (lacking empathy and not understanding that other people might feel differently from you).

>I've misdialed people before and had entire conversations apologising to them for it

Oh my god. This is one of those "screencaps with hundreds of replies" autism-tier material.

You know what actually happens 99.9% of the time when people who aren't autistic misdial someone? They just hang up instantly as soon as they hear the person on the other end is some completely different voice than they had expected.

Like holy shit. You must be a massive fedora wearing sperg if you actually start talking to them and apologize for 10 minutes that you dialed the wrong number.

>Arrival is an attempt to copy Nolan's contemporary classic, Interstellar
>there are people who actually believe this

You are probably a filthy clapping american because no one goes "ooh aah" in any cinema in Europe, not a sound.

home, hospital, who cares you fuckign sperg?

I am literally dying from laughter at you thinking that what he did is the default human reaction

>fedora wearing sperg who talks to people for 2 hours when he misdials their number
>"how normal people function in society"

>which very few people had.
yeah just all of his friends aunts uncles cousins cheap hookers, etc.

I feel really bad about people finding this movie confusing or complicated. I feel even worse for people thinking this was a clever or a fresh movie.

Only good things about it were Amy Adams being the focus and Forest Whitaker not getting too much screentime. He is the single most annoying actor Ive seen.

>get a call on your private phone line from the US during a pivotal global event
>instantly hang-up like you think it's a telemarketer

It's amazing that you even think this is a possibility, let alone that it's what would certainly happen and anyone who says otherwise is stupid.

To me how it is written is gimmicky. Yeah, it starts from a random point and make a circle, so what. You can think about a full sentence before lying it down and writing isn't pure improvisation like you seem to describe it. Don't get me wrong, I still appreciated the concept of the writing and how foreign it is from traditional syntax/grammar (or vocabulary, obviously). My critic was more about the underlying psychological aspect of such thinking.
There are studies that showed you don't think the same way when you speak chinese, english, german, indian or whatever, because syntax somehow formate the way you think. I don't think it was well exploited in the movie and the alien were still too human-like in their thinking despite their complete different linguistic system.
Also, what I didn't like is how they assumed you'd have the sense to hear their language or even read their writing. They could write with colors of an invisible specter, or odor or whatever. Here it's just writing/inking.
I think the topic was interesting, really it's great that a movie takes this route but it should have been more.

>"Hey Bruce, what's going on?"
>"..this isn't Bruce..."
>"Oh, who's this?"
>"This is Sam.."
>"Sam? Is Bruce around?"
>"I think you've got the wrong number buddy"
>"Oh shit, serious?"
>"Yeah, I don't know a Bruce. What number did you dial?"
>"73432084"
>"Ah, you see this is 73432087"
>"Oh, my bad, I'm so sorry"
>"Hey no worries pal"
"click

That's how it goes with normal people. Shut-ins with poor social skills immediately hang up, ignoring the possibility that a friend/girlfriend/family-member might've answered the phone

>he thinks the climax was about the chinese killing any aliens
Holy shit you are so dumb it hurts. War with aliens would be bad for two reasons:
>Killing any possibility of communication and ensuring the human race does not receive any technology or knowledge from advanced alien races
>Making the aliens absolutely annihilate the earth

The possiblity of humans winning is ridiculous.

>implying the general's wife died when he was a general
>further implying le DIA has infinite resources to bug every potential target in the PLA
>counterimplying the DIA is almighty but chink countersurveillance is incompetent
>implying only the central protagonist has reported symptoms of heptapod communication, and not any one else in the world analyzing the writing
ahaha i love watching a neckbeard dig a hole and be frantic climbing out of it

It definitely was clever and fresh, you're just part of the cultural cancer movement where anything can only be liked ironically and you throw a temper tantrum if something is given actual praise because you think this compensates for your lacking self-esteem. If someone shows any level of passion or appreciation towards a work, you immediately react with condescending smugness and start concocting vague reasons why what they liked actually wasn't good or smart. Your entire personality is built around this behavior. See a psychiatrist.

>look mom I posted it again

Im sorry if I upset you. Im also sorry about your parents.

>some gwailo cunt talking to you in broken barely understandable Mandarin while you're busy with other stuff
>not instantly hanging up

and even so, if he wouldn't hang up and listened to her entire babbling, as I said

"AMERICAN PIG BUG MY HOUSE" will beat believing into fairy tales every single time

>he's starting to write fanfiction about how his calls now

well I guess I should thank you for turning this into comedy gold

>>he thinks the climax was about

hmmm okay so what was it about then - you went on in your tirade saying about how bad it would be if the chinese attacked the aliens instead of saying what the climax was then

I mean I said the whole Chinese drama meant literally nothing since the weaponry of humans had no effect in the movie, and the movie also made it abundantly clear that the aliens are well aware of the fact that they're invincible and they bore no ill will to those mean white racist alt righter fake news consuming terrorists who tried to blow them up

>>implying the general's wife died when he was a general

I never implied that?
stopped reading there, strawmanning cretin

>this is what plebs actually believe

The Saphir-Wolf theory is bollocks. I don't mind it being in Arrival because it's a sci-fi, but in reality it just doesn't happen. Your mind doesn't change. Your cultural values might, but that's it, and language simply reflects different cultural values.

In fact study of linguistics seems to hint towards the opposite: languages, even if they come from completely different roots, all have an underlying structure that is equal for everyone, hinting at an inherent structure of the human brain. So language doesn't change your mind, it just reflects it.

I don't agree with the rest but I guess that is subjective. I don't see the point in making them "weirder", since the movie wasn't really about that.

>fanfiction about how his calls
No, it's called an average interaction
95%+ of people can relate. If you can't, you're probably autistic or a neet or both, let's be honest

Well the movie is not about the aliens and just the language, those were just plot devices to show Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and finally appreciating every waking moment of it.

That's the fault of marketing where people who watched every trailer extensively thought the movie will be a hard sci about aliens, while that was just merely a plot device to propell the actual narrative forward.

I never posted about this movie before, never cared about ti either.

But hey, I got my answer. Basically, normal, reasonable people like and and and disliked the shitty movie

Meanwhile, the types of huge spergs who know nothing about social interaction, randomly call numbers looking for strangers to talk to, and chant "He will not divide us!" in their sleep loved this movie.

I am satisfied with explanation Sup Forums provided for me. Thank you.

>broken barely understandable mandarin

Where are you getting this? Are you really just making this up?

>will beat believing into fairy tales every single time

Sure, if you remove the context that 12 crafts belonging to a highly advanced alien species are currently visiting Earth, and you directly observed the "fairy tales" yourself.

>normal, reasonable people

It's good you concede the events of the movie easily implied the general's belief of adams' sincerity, instead of a strawmanned bugging narrative, and 99 other unspecified reactions

Instead of stereotyping other why dont you just look at yourself you pretentious faggot. No need to make a huge deal out of everything that looks mindblowing to you.

>instead of saying what the climax was then
I literally wrote it with bullet points. What the fuck is wrong with you. The point is that Amy has realised that the aliens pose no threat and actually want to help humanity with knowledge, and the chinese are going to blow up this opportunity and possible put the human race in a war that it cannot win. It's not hard.

>95%+ of people can relate.

Yeah, no you spergy cunt. There is literal evidence for this - you can ask any phone company how long the typical misdialed call lasts. I doubt there is any provider on planet Earth who will have stats that aren't between 4 and 10 seconds.

This film taught me that if I was to learn an African language then I would have a bigger appetite for chicken, fat white women and grape soda.

It's what I know for a fact, it has nothing to do with belief. If you want to hide it better I suggest being less comically predictable with your patterns.

>Where are you getting this?
It was Amy Adams talking in Mandarin.
>"hey there are aliens on earth so probably if someone calls me and randomly starts saying things my dead wife said, it's because of time travel so I should listen to that; it definitely won't be espionage that could have had happened years before the aliens called because we're all friends now"
ok

typical misdialled call rates include dials to numbers which aren't connected or are never used or where the person realises their mistake before connecting, these happen far more frequently than connecting with the wrong person
You're wrong, you lack life experience
Go and talk to real people and you'll understand this

REMINDER THAT THIS IS A SCREENERFAG THREAD, THEREFORE ALL OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT ARE INVALID
REMINDER THAT THIS IS A SCREENERFAG THREAD, THEREFORE ALL OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT ARE INVALID

But you carry on with retelling literal plot points and the logical order of the narrative thinking you are "discussing" a visual medium like film.

>comparing telemarketer calls to Amy calling a general's private number who no one but close relatives have in the middle of a worldwide war with an alien race
You are a clown.

By weirder, I meant make the aliens even more foreign. I'll get up to date on linguistic, I don't know much about it, to be frank. I think they fucked this aspect anyway.

I guess I was mislead by marketing then. I still appreciated the story and all.

would Arrival have been a better film if Emma Stone (aka best Emma) was cast instead of Amy Adams?

>this guy signalboosting his lonely samefag posts
>forced to disavow his usual hobbies
kek. faggot must be sweating

>implying I can't tell your post is bait

Someone who liked the movie "Arrival" would never post the word "faggot" because that's homophobic to them

It is garbage, here is why:
>Doesn't have enough quips
>Takes itself to seriously

Movies full of quips that don't take themselves too seriously is what all movies should be

>stereotyping

It's been a hilarious, observable trend for a long time now, not stereotyping. According to some (who identify themselves by using extremely repetitive, vague "arguments" time after time, movie after movie), nothing is allowed to be actually smart. If anything is smart, there's a legion of neckbeards loudly shouting about how it isn't actually smart, it's "fedora," it's "pseudo-intellectual," etc. They then go safely back to doing things ironically, like repeating bane over and over. Here they're totally safe from criticism because if you're always just "pretending" to be an idiot you can always deflect criticism by hiding behind irony or canned lines. It's the most painfully obvious form of insecurity I've ever fucking seen, and it basically ruined this site because all discussion is totally insincere on every board.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innateness_hypothesis
I'll admit that I'm a bit biased after reading some of Steven Pinker's books, going further into this it seems like the language innateness is far from being set in stone, but hey it's a possible explanation.

Jap's brains are different from westerners, they can't pronounce R for example and their thought processes are also different, since their writing is drawn and meaning is achieved through a bunch of bizarre (for us) associations between the drawings and subjective interpretation plays a big role

>You're wrong, you lack life experience

look, you autistic faggot, until you show me some evidence to the contrary, that it is actually the majority of people who have 5 hour conversations with anyone they misdial, until then, you are just an autistic sperg who just found out that normal people don't act like this

the burden of proof is on you, since you have nothing but your anecdotal evidence

I have common sense + statistics on top of my anecdotal evidence (and anecdotal evidence of any random stranger you can meet on the street, by the way, but I don't expect you to do that since that would involve you leaving your basement and talking to another human being in real life)

>burrowing this deeply just to stay in comically obvious character
>disavowing his pretensions just for some cheap yous
>cynically internalizing the other for projection
when will your compatriots find out your sociopathic behavior? or are all of you at the top mostly like this?