That time Simon Pegg BTFO'd fanboys and man-children

Reminder

>Obviously I’m very much a self-confessed fan of science-fiction and genre cinema. But part of me looks at society as it is now and just thinks we’ve been infantilized by our own taste. Now we’re essentially all consuming very childish things – comic books, superheroes... Adults are watching this stuff, and taking it seriously!

It is a kind of dumbing down in a way, because it’s taking our focus away from real-world issues. Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever. Now we’re walking out of the cinema really not thinking about anything, other than the fact that the Hulk just had a fight with a robot.

>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever
That's called propaganda. It's not a bad thing that most people consume visual candy instead of "thought provoking" propaganda. Let's keep the stupid masses sedated.

People should watch what they enjoy, not what people say they should enjoy.

He's the definition of a pathetic contrarian, yet he continues to output the very shit he supposedly hates.

I hate capeshit as much as the next guy but muh golden age of cinema/literature/art/language/technology/back in my day everyone left their doors unlocked and everything was better but not because I was 12 years old, it just was thing is such fucking bullshit
Those great movies that are actually worth seeing are still being made in the same numbers as they ever were, the only thing that has changed is more easily accessible and consumable trash. The point is to actually go find the good fucking movies/novels/whatever instead of whining about them not being handed to you on a plate.
Based Kermode says this all the time when people ask him why nothing is good anymore and he's absolutely right.

The problem isn't superheroes.

The problem is that all the capeshit dumped out each year honestly isn't very good, and the cult-like fandom that is unrelentingly obsessed with this shit is down-right baffling.

Reminder that a nearly identical thread just died after getting hundreds of posts of people flinging shit at each other.

> i don't know what propaganda is, but let me use it in an argument
kys

>all of these spergs getting butthurt because they don't want be recognized as manchildren who take their cartoons seriously.

Isn't he making a living off of this infantilization? It's one thing to point it out, it's entirely another matter to actually capitalise on it. How can you respect a man who does that?

I'm a manchild, but why should anyone care about me at all?

>Things were better when every other movie was a cheap Western or a cheap Musical

>caring this much about shitty movies

But caring about cartoons makes you a "manchild"?

Any movie related to real life events is a piece of propaganda. If you think otherwise, you're naive.

>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever.
Said no one ever.

And the way you ended that sentence really shows how much you know about films... nothing.

>is fine making money from staring infantile shite that he apparently hates
>when giving a writing gig he just writes infantle shite that he apparently hates

He's in the position he's in thanks to the very people he hates, I can't wait for the balding toss pot to fuck off.

I used to like him, but its his remarks like this and the fact that he earns money doing the thing he hates but is happy to slag it off too.

Its made me lose a lot of respect for him.

Not even a fan of super hero movies myself, so its not that, its just his attitude.

>Hulk just had a fight with a robot.

You could have just as easily have seen it as a fight between the libertarianism of captain america and the fascist tendencies of iron man. It's not our fault you are so dumb even capeshit goes over your head.

He's right desu.

You can admit something's stupid yet still do it. Look at almost every smoker or alcoholic, or those of us who've been on this shitty website for a decade, we know it's a dumb shithole yet keep coming back and enjoying it.

Doesn't matter when he co-wrote three of the best comedies ever made

The difference being that smokers and alcoholics and losers acknowledge those things as personal flaws instead of endorsing them but simultaneously telling the rest of the world how shitty they are for drinking/smoking/being a virgin

This, however it doesn't mean you're not a manchild for watching capetrash

then maybe he shouldn't have wirrten the most self-insert waifu fanfiction wankery that was scotty in beyond.

>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever

BvS actually did this :^)

>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever.

No. That's what experiencing real life is about.
Films on the hand always were, are, and always will be, escapism from reality. That's their purpose.
That's why anyone watches them. Because they'd rather waste time on a movie to escape doing something productive in real life that actually matters.
Not even entertainment is a good reason since it is better achieved through sexual marathons.

The ego of actors blinds them into stupidity, as usual.

Honestly, I agree with the man child giddy people get over childrens show and such but I couldn't care less with what people do with their lives. Let them live however they want and I'll live how I want.

even if we assume that definition it doesn't refute his point

>Condemning the culture for which you helped make popular and continue to do so even today

Fucking hypocrite.

Just highlights the fact that he's unable to do basically anything else with his life too.

Just do what Christopher Lee did when confronted with the consequences of your career choices, Simon. Just turn your cheek away and fuck off from the media forever.

>one of the lead actors of Hot Fuzz talking about infantile taste

Why do people who talk pseudo-intellectual shit about maturity and infantilism always tend to have histories of heavy infantilism themselves if you look their shit up?
It's always the ones with the superiority complex about maturity who end up looking the most childish.

Pic related was another example being posted here today.

So to be clear here, the man who is in the movies with the fart jokes is concerned about society's infantile taste and consuming childish things?

Why is "actor tweets stupid shit" thread allowed but "actress tweets stupid shit" isn't? Is it just because of their different political affiliation, or gender?

Sup Forums has like one janitor who is online for one hour of the day

You're mistaking inaction for policy when the truth is that cunny and bbc threads aren't allowed either.

I'd genuinely take a cheap western every month for the next few years over capeshit

But how else would they take me seriously...

No, they deleted the thread (about Mayim Bialik) an hour ago, while this was allowed to stay even though I reported it.

I told you man he's only on for one hour

But this was up and reported at the same time.

there's an old saying that used to be said all the time and it had a very special meaning
that phrase was LURK MOAR

He nailed it. See you guys, time to take a break from Sup Forums

He probably didn't get through the whole list in one hour

>It is a kind of dumbing down in a way, because it’s taking our focus away from real-world issues.

Can you blame anyone for wanting to escape from the real-world issues? None of them are getting solved any time soon, so you might as well find some form of escape from the misery that is the real world. Or you could blow your brains out after realizing what an abysmal existence most of us live in.

>a movie that is challenging and deals with intellectual themes is more like propaganda than a movie that affirms your believes and you're encouraged to "turn your brain off" to enjoy

That image actually makes sense of all of the people in the women's march holding up Star Wars rebel banners and Harry Potter logos, shows how people willingly regress to their childish comforts