There is only ONE, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

There is only ONE, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

That is the Orthodox Church, founded by Christ, which the gates of hell shall not prevail against.

youtube.com/watch?v=0JnCO0OlhlE

This is an Orthodox pastebin that addresses the questions of Catholics and atheists and Muslims and Jews and Protestants and liberals, along with a reading list that provides links: pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/15/greek-orthodox-church-latin-america_n_7065630.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiochian_Orthodox_Christian_Archdiocese_of_North_America#Evangelism
youtube.com/watch?v=NKnR9LqvYqk
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xL0cDKWUs
youtube.com/watch?v=xc91xrGtaKo
youtube.com/watch?v=_a6-u_6dZ8M
youtube.com/watch?v=d8u2IngkjS8
youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3aOw61Fn4
youtube.com/watch?v=BwX-g7Zf3dw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wrong

Y'all schismatics need to go back to being irrelevant.

I literally cant believe there are still Catholics on this planet. Don't worry, this is the last generation, they will be bred out within our lifetime. Its not too late to convert to the right team senpai, the conquests are about to begin. The Catholics are a lost cause, just look at them.

>Catholics
>Bred out
Top fucking kek. Catholics will run your country in a 100 years.

It's the second largest single denomination behind Catholicism. It's extremely relevant to the modern world.

Most Latinos are Catholics, but we prefer quality over quantity

huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/15/greek-orthodox-church-latin-america_n_7065630.html

Well you're stupid.

Relevant where? Serbia? Bulgaria? Russia's their only real stab at relevance and they're crumbling at this point. Catholics even got to Japan before them, which makes them seem even more pathetic.

You see where quality has gotten the west? Quantity will always beat quality.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiochian_Orthodox_Christian_Archdiocese_of_North_America#Evangelism

You could convert Hispanics by the sword with government backing, we don't. Considering that, we're doing very well.

Yeah, the Antiochians that the rest of jurisdictions say are horrible liberals. You can't point to the success of one faction and then claim it as a victory for all Orthodoxy because fundamentally you all loathe each other.

Disgusting fucks. Christfags should be inflated to the point of explosion with pigmeat foie gras made from the semen of muslim slavefuckers.

Because that's funny to me.

>Yeah, the Antiochians that the rest of jurisdictions say are horrible liberals.
Antiochians are pretty much the most conservative jurisdiction, the only guy who said they were liberal was a literal Nazi who converted to them and tried to preach Nazism as Orthodox, and got forced to do penance, and then did it again, and so was excommunicated.

The Antiochian Parish in my area is mostly converts, and almost all the men have beards, and the women have to have their head and shoulders covered to even receive communion.

>ou can't point to the success of one faction and then claim it as a victory for all Orthodoxy because fundamentally you all loathe each other.
No we don't, go to any Greek Orthodox parish and ask about Russian Orthodox, they will all say, "It's the same thing."

You worship putin not God.

Begone spawn of Satan

t. Soros

Shitty desert religions from the bronze age that way --->

Together with the rest of the abrahamic filth.
>my imaginary friend is more real than yours!

>On these patriarchs I will found my Church
Oh wait. Schismatics come home.

*AGAINST* which the gates of hell shall not prevail.

Learn yer grammar cunt

Gloria in excelsis Deo.

That's what you say, what I've seen demonstrates otherwise. Most Orthodox are as fond of calling their prelates heretics as sedevacantists are, and they each love criticizing each other. If you go to the Greek parish they will say Kirill is trying to usurp Bart and if you go to the Russian they will say Bart is a Turk puppet.

>Pope Francis is the rock
NO
O

Peter was the rock, and even then it was a title he got as a founder, not a higher office, he appeals to elders (presbtyrs, then the same rank as epoiskopos--bishop--because there was only one parish per diocese) merely as a fellow presbyter.

Peter is a foundational rock, the first bishop, the first to confess Christ. Pope Francis is not any sort of rock.

I'm Greek and I side with Kirill. That obviously doesn't mean I hate my fellow Greek Orthodox.

>he appeals to elders (presbtyrs, then the same rank as epoiskopos--bishop--because there was only one parish per diocese) merely as a fellow presbyter.
This is from 1 Peter 5:1 btw

>tfw love being catholic

get off my boar you fucking tripfag

Greek, sides with Russian against his heirarch. Yeah, this is why I don't take you guys seriously, it's all picking and choosing like Protestants, don't like the Greek, go with the Russian. So even within various jurisdictions you have many competing parties.

My faith is the true faith; it is the right faith; it is the faith that leads to Heaven. I was born in that faith, and in that faith I mean to die. I will never renounce my faith. But you, you be converted and do penance. Give up your schism and submit to our Holy Father, or you will never save your soul!
St. Andrew Bobola

I am under the authority of my bishop, who isn't the Patriarch. The Patriarch is the head of the Greek Church *outside* of Greece ceremoniously, but in actual authority, he can't interfere with other bishops running their own dioceses, he can only call councils and get involved in choosing bishops.

My sympathies are with Kirill because he's not as cozy with the Pope, among other reasons. There's really nothing wrong with that, it's got nothing to do with dogma or validity of sacraments or anything like that.

Why would I submit to someone who kowtows to Jews?

So, in orthodoxy, are the patriarchs considered infallible? Or do you reject such nonsense as human infallibility?

Also, do your churches pressure worshipers to provide "tithe"?

The Russian is separated from the Holy See, that is sufficient for him to be seen as a brother, a fellow Protestant. All dogmas and doctrines are null in this fact alone. The hatred of Rome is the only thing that the separated churches hold in common.
Count Joseph de Maistre

Furthermore, your faith, being approval-hungry, gave approval to all the Orthodox Sacraments, so my faith can obviously get me to heaven. However, we do not consider YOUR Sacraments valid, so it would be foolish to jump over to the Latin modernists

>So, in orthodoxy, are the patriarchs considered infallible?
Hell no.

>Or do you reject such nonsense as human infallibility?
Yes

>Also, do your churches pressure worshipers to provide "tithe"?
Not in my experience.

>Count Joseph de Maistre
Literally a Freemason

You know nothing of Latin sacramental theology, so what you hold as a need for validation is patently false and just the Latin understanding of how the sacraments work. Furthermore that particular position adhered to by people like Mets. Seraphim and Vlachos is not the only position. People like Met. Hilarion say that Catholic sacraments are real sacraments. The position you hold is akin to the heresy of Donatus.

Good to hear, Orthodoxbro. Kind of wish there was and ortho church in my are. I'd to attend a service.

Freemasonry doesn't make one less able to make observations about the states of things. Hatred of Rome is certainly a given amongst those that have broken away from Holy Mother Church.

>You know nothing of Latin sacramental theology
I prefer Patristic, thanks

Consider corresponding with the closest one you can find through email. They might be able to set up a mission in your area

>Founded by Christ

We don't hate Rome, we just see it as heretical and modernist.

I went to a orthodox church for the first time yesterday (sunday mass) and it was far more fulfilling then any catholic mass i used to go to. Sucha welcoming group as well it was wonderful.

Don't you mean Hesychast?
Us Latins have Fathers too. Like a certain Pope St. Stephen who said that baptisms by heretics are real baptisms against the position of St. Cyprian. How's that for Patristic?

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to come to our beautiful Church!

Not sure what hesychasm has to do with Sacrements, I meant a Patristic theology of Sacraments.

Heretical baptisms (provided they are Trinitarian) are valid once the person is actually received into the One Church, not before.

>There is only ONE, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
>That is the Orthodox Church
>One
>Holy
>CATHOLIC
>Apostolic
>Church

Literally NONE of these terms apply to your """church""". How's being less influential and legitimate working for you?

But if you ever wish to reunite again, just remember who's in charge :)

>he says, posting a picture of the Pope who kissed the Koran

Kek, cleetus with the high energy bantz

youtube.com/watch?v=NKnR9LqvYqk

Lyrics mean "Lord have mercy," in Greek, for those who don't know.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xL0cDKWUs

youtube.com/watch?v=xc91xrGtaKo

I've never been asked to provide a tithe. On Sundays they just send around a person with a collection tray, and they seem to be instructed not to make people feel pressured to give anything. They won't even come near you unless you're practically waving money around.

I went to a Greek festival in my city recently and got to sit in on a brief history lesson of the Orthodox church, in the local church. Pretty based, and clearly the closest you can get to original Christianity.

youtube.com/watch?v=_a6-u_6dZ8M

Happy you learned about us!

I would legit join an Orthodox Church if there were any in my area.

Another problem I've heard about them is they're too pandering to certain ethnicity. I know there's a Greek one about an hour away from me, but I tried going once, and it was soon apparent you needed to be Greek to belong.

Sort of unfortunate that the only one near you is Greek. Antiochian and the Orthodox Church of America have their services entirely in English and are full of American converts.

youtube.com/watch?v=d8u2IngkjS8

>I know there's a Greek one about an hour away from me, but I tried going once, and it was soon apparent you needed to be Greek to belong.
I'm a convert to Greek Orthodox and I'm not Greek, not sure what you're talking about.

Daily reminder that Sup Forums is a Qekist board

The service was in a mixture of Greek and English, along with a lot of the literature and I do not speak nor read Greek.

The service is a mixture of Greek and English, but they generally have liturgy guides to read that are bilingual.

The literature for converts is all in English..

Your Greek Church =/= The one I went to

The orthodox church is losing people really quick.

Now go back to sucking dick for Krocodil, Ivan.

Mine is the norm, afaik. If the parish you're talking about lacks this, that's a major deficit. If I were you, I'd ask the priest if he has any bilingual liturgy guide, because they probably do. If they don't have any books in English (which I would find extremely odds, since not a single of the books of my parish is in Greek), then you aren't compelled to have to read Greek to convert, the priest just has to teach what you need to know in English.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3aOw61Fn4

youtube.com/watch?v=BwX-g7Zf3dw

this is coptic, but i like it a lot.

Ethiopian Orthodox, not Coptic Orthodox; both are Oriental Orthodox, so pretty much the same thing as Greeks and Russians (Eastern Orthodox). We fully acknowledge each other sacraments and allow taking communion at each other's parishes where practicality demands it. Only issue is semantics.

>schismatics

>The Ethiopian Church was administratively part of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria from the first half of the 4th century until 1959, when it was granted its own Patriarch by the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of All Africa, Cyril VI.

yeah, this is why I was confused.

>several Patriarchs of Constantinople martyred since the Turkish occupation

>Latins were busy persecuting people for saying the earth revolves around the sun and burning people for translating Scripture so regular people could read Christ's words

>Latins think this makes them somehow more legitimate

Is it possible to be a "non-denominational" Orthodox? By that, I mean is it possible to be an Orthodox Christian without being a member of the Greek, Russian, etc. churches?

Also, are there any great theological differences between Oriental and Eastern Orthodoxy?

>Is it possible to be a "non-denominational" Orthodox? By that, I mean is it possible to be an Orthodox Christian without being a member of the Greek, Russian, etc. churches?

there is no difference between any of these churches. they are the exact same except for language, and the Antiochian and OCA are both English speaking, so if you're American you should probably join one of those. Again, there is no difference. So I don't really know what the purpose of identifying as a "non-denominational" Orthodox Christian.

Those aren't denominations, they're jurisdictions. If you join one, you join all, you're in whatever jurisdiction the parish you happen to be attending is.

There is only one difference between Oriental and Easter: Eastern says Christ is two natures, human and divine, Oriental says Christ is one nature, human and divine.

I don't give a crap about English. I'm a Latin Mass Catholic currently.

>Those aren't denominations, they're jurisdictions.

Hence the quotation marks. However, this is what I wanted to know. If I get chrismated in an Oriental Church, I am fully able to receive the Eucharist in an Eastern Church? I ask because the only Orthodox Church within 50 miles of me is a Syriac Orthodox Church.

The Seat is the rock. The office of being the heir of St. Peter.

> I am fully able to receive the Eucharist in an Eastern Church?
Yes, generally speaking, but you will be expected to go to an Oriental parish if there is one within reasonable distance; if your spouse is Eastern, however, distance doesn't matter, and both of you are free to receive anytime wherever.

There are several Ethiopian Orthodox women who attend my parish, which is Greek Orthodox, and take Communion there.

>The Seat is the rock.
What ridiculousness, Peter is the rock. His person, not his office.

>Yes, generally speaking, but you will be expected to go to an Oriental parish if there is one within reasonable distance

This was the root issue of my concern over being "non-denominational." If I know the true church dwells in those buildings, why should I favor one over the other?

>Going to church
>2016

Churches have been infiltrated desu, including your precious orthodox meme church. The only thing you can do is read your bible and grow in the Lord our God yourself, or with family. If they're also Christian.

Doesn't matter.

The only reason for our issues is that Oriental and Eastern still haven't lifted the anathemas (and neither side wants to unilaterally). From my perspective, since there is not doctrinal ground for these anathemas, they were never valid to begin with. They are no "denominational" differences between Eastern and Oriental, they're really just jurisdictions. The Fifth Ecumenical Council approved of their Oriental formula, and we both fully and formally recognize each other as the One Church. If you just take communion at whatever parish is convenient for you, it's not a sin, we're formally one body.

Sounds fair to me. It seems that I could just be chrismated and consider myself an Orthodox Christian, which is my game plan at this point.

Cuck

You should keep in mind the Oriental practice (generally) is to rebaptize those without Orthodox baptism, not just Chismate. This is in line with Eastern Orthodox perspective, since neither of us recognize baptism outside the Church, but Eastern Orthodox generally validates your baptism upon reception,, whereas Oriental tends to require you receive baptism with your entry into the Church.

Interesting. I was baptized in a baptist church at the age of 9, then conditionally baptised when I converted to methodism at the age of 28. The paperwork from that was enough for the RCC, all I needed to do was go through confirmation. It's interesting to me that they would feel the need to repeat a sacrament.

That is, of course, unless you've already been received by the Eastern Orthodox and your baptism outside the Church has been validated as Orthodox, in which case there can be no rebaptism.

You have to understand that unlike the RCC, the Orthodox do not recognize the validity of any Sacrament outside the Church. It's like imagine if some Protestants got together and had Communion, is their Host valid? No. That's how we feel about all Sacraments, baptism included.

I get the logic behind it, I just have a couple years of Catholic theology to unlearn if I do decide to go this route.

It seems pretty likely though, to be honest. I'm thinking I backed the wrong Apostolic horse. Are there set times where people are received into the church, or is it at the priest's discretion?

Also if you're uncomfortable with being baptized Orthodox, you could talk to the priest about having your prior baptism made valid with reception. In the Orthodox Church, bishops have a great deal of autonomy to deal with that sort of thing, and there is a good chance your bishop would authorize it.

>Are there set times where people are received into the church, or is it at the priest's discretion?
Traditionally during Pascha, but it can technically be any time.

>Traditionally during Pascha, but it can technically be any time.

Wonderful. I had to go through the waiting period to be a Catholic, I have no real desire to cover basic theology for another year before being admitted into the Church.

Yeah, there's no Orthodox equivalent to RCIA. Each bishop gives his own guidelines, and the priest carries them out how he sees fit for each particular person.

I'm going to give the priest a call tomorrow, see if he wants to come over for lunch or something. Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful.

No problem!

God bless and good luck on your journey!

>only one, holy, catholic and apostolic church
>it's the orthodox church
here's your (You)

I can't take any church that needs Turkish permission before picking their next not-Pope seriously.

Call me when when you retake Constantinople losers.

Christ didn't form no Church, that nutter Peter did. I ain't worshiping no damn Peter. None of his preaching and writing even made it into the Bible.

>what is 1 and 2 Peter

I love how religious people can be so closed minded that it's not okay for someone else to be religious, or even christian, they have to be the same kind of christian. Fuck protestants, they are going to hell, unless they become catholic!!

>It's not important to do things properly
>Just do what you want, God understands

Heretic.

We look for ratification in every state a patriarch is chosen, because he is the ambassador to the state. If the state says no however that doesn't necessarily mean we care--when we recently sacked the Patriarch of Jerusalem for selling Church property to Israel, Israel initially refused to ratify our replacement, but we didn't care and replaced him anyway, and eventually they came around.

Christ only founded one kind of Christianity, you're either that kind, or some other kind.