Are there really people who categorically hate music by the Baby Boomers?

Are there really people who categorically hate music by the Baby Boomers?

Attached: 61EG3M-GipL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 52K)

Yes. You can find a group of people on earth with a consensus on just about anything.

Seems like an especially perverse form of tribalism.

The Beatles arent Baby Boomers, They were all born during the war. Baby Boomers were born 1946-1964

They're still emblematic of the era. Or would Zeppelin be more appropriate for this topic?

Yes - I think you need to go second wave blues based rock to get at the baby Boomer thing. Bands that started after, say 1966.

Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, RUSH, etc.

I like some and dislike some, but Beatles have too much war trauma (esp in John's songs) to be baby boomer.

me

You can find people who categorically hate any generation's music.

Some folks view their music taste as a means to rebel against their parents. It's not that deep

>Bands that started after, say 1966.
This very much

Attached: 81CsuUP7RkL._SY355_.jpg (352x355, 66K)

Yeah this. My parents are boomers, born in 53 and 56, so The Beatles informed some of their childhood but they're not boomers themselves. Just like Nirvana did for early millennials like me.

>1946-64
I didn't know such Gen Xer icons as Henry Rollins were baby boomers.

Very late boomers, almost borderline Gen X. They were still in school during the Vietnam War.

Never mind him, he still believes the meme that people born in 1960-64 are boomers. So I'll give you a tip: Those guys were never considered baby boomers until the 90s when the oldest boomers were pushing 50 and decided to "claim" the early Gen Xers as part of the boomer generation to not feel so old.

I mean, there are people who think anything that wasn't released in the past couple years is trash, so yes

There's a big difference between the war babies whose mentality was mostly shaped by the 50s-early 60s and those later boomers who didn't start to follow/make music until the counterculture era. My dad was born in 1955, for someone his age one's conscious awareness of music started with Jimi Hendrix. It's not like the Beatles for whom Chuck Berry and Elvis were their formative influences.

And 1977 was as big a generational shift as 1955 was. The year when youth culture/music started to shift from boomers to Gen Xers.

When did it shift from Gen Xers to Millenials?

About in the late 90s or when nu metal got big.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that for the most part each generations heroes are members of the previous generation?

It's more accurate to say that pop culture is created by young adults, teenagers are merely passive consumers of it.

Ditto the founding fathers of punk were boomers, not Gen Xers, the eldest of whom would have been 15-16 in the late 70s. There weren't really any bands comprised of Gen Xer aged musicians until the 80s.

>I think you need to go second wave blues based rock
Stuff with boogie riffs.

I used to be like that until I actually took the time to seriously listen to a lot of those(like the beatles, jimi hendrix, bob dylan, etc) and found out for myself that they were actually rlly rlly good

A lot of the mythos that boomers created around rock and its birth in the 50s was never entirely true.