Name a better subgenre of rock than post-punk

Name a better subgenre of rock than post-punk

>protip: you can't

Attached: f83b8df248c6b42b803d35eb5fd57cde.png (625x593, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/不失者/1st/
youtu.be/_godSE6RJy0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Power pop and it's not even close.

Attached: Get The Knack.jpg (592x592, 113K)

post-punk isn't even the best subgenre of punk
synth punk is

Attached: suicide.jpg (600x600, 118K)

>synth punk

you fucking virgin

proto-punk

This desu

Post-Punk is my favorite genre to listen to, period. That said, how is it the best? What would even make a genre the "best?"

If it's musical complexity or instrumental variety, Classical and Jazz would wipe the floor with Post-Punk. For emotion and feeling, soul or blues.

I guess I just don't get the point of threads like this.

Horror punk for best punk subgenre

Art rock?

>The Velvet Underground, The Modern Lovers, The Sonics, the list goes on...
Retroactively calling psych, avant-garde, beat, and garage rock bands that sound nothing alike "proto-punk" is retarded. You can't just attach "-punk" to something because it influenced a genre of music that came ten years later.

metal?

Prog

Prog rock

Space Rock

Prog and krautrock

Like Muse?

noise rock
psychadelic rock
garage rock

College Rock.

Attached: 61WiWxB6LjL.jpg (500x495, 76K)

Folk is always if the guy(s) can play.

screamo

Post-punk is probably the one genre that has had the least innovation since it's fucking inception. I'm so tired of hearing "modern" post-punk bands whose influences have to include Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, and fucking PiL. Go listen to This Heat or 23 Skidoo or Clock DVA or something, jesus.

you're actually right i can't

Any more recs for modern post punk?

fpbp

Attached: #1 Record.jpg (600x600, 85K)

Get no argument from me

Attached: F947B691-29F4-460D-B6B4-417A0D2740C1-8550-00000AB0A6C00BB7.jpg (1541x1511, 209K)

Post-rock

I thought Total Control were really on to something, but they kinda veer between together and not.

Post-music duh user

Attached: Ihatethattoo_d0c4553d8840b3f016710746430e7e73.jpg (450x299, 21K)

it's like you called a different style of painting art-painting. Fuck off

post-punk seems to be the perfect genre for teenagers who want to feel misunderstood and profound, which explains its popularity on this board

The Laytcomers. Their latest album has bunch of different influences

Krautrock

Attached: cover.jpg (1619x1601, 1.09M)

Nah they suck

None of those are identified as proto, except maybe the modern lovers.

Kraut
Heavy Psych
Psych Punk

But yeah i would still say post punk

no, you don't understand

>Psych Punk
sounds interesting
what albums would you recommend

Quite obviously the best subgenre is shoegaze

Attached: 0F3C89AF-81CD-4467-9915-E86928CF3F53.jpg (300x300, 25K)

Killing Joke are too complex and minimal to simply be post-punk

yes.

Attached: 3007294.jpg (600x600, 312K)

That isn't a genre

You’re not a genre!

synth punk has 0 worth while albums
the album you posted is fucking garbage

Not him but
Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade
Chrome - Alien Soundtracks and Half Machine Lip Moves
Butthole Surfers - Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac

i don't see how any of those, other than maybe butthole surfers, are psych

Hüsker Dü, mostly because of Bob Mould's wall of sound guitar playing, especially on tracks like Hare Krsna
If you concede that BS might be psych, I don't see why Chrome wouldn't be. Mostly because of the shitton of sound effects and tapes they used plus the hardly audible vocals.

i guess you're right
>Hare Krsna
damn i forgot about that song, it's my favorite track on the album
do you know any similar albums?

Prog Rock and Shoegaze!

If you're looking for noisy psych, I'd recommend Les Rallizes Denudes, though it's heavier and MUCH louder. I'm not exaggarating, the first time I listened to them, I had tinnitus for a whole night.
If you listened to White Light/White Heat, imagine a band making full albums of songs like Sister Ray.

thanks, but i know about lrd, and i love them

also you might like this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/不失者/1st/

Have you listened to Royal Trux? I don't know if it counts as punk, it's more inspired by blues and classic rock, but it's fucked up as hell, very much like Chrome.

I've seen that one posted a few times, maybe I'll get aroud to it. Is that one also as loud as '77 Live?

>Have you listened to Royal Trux?
not yet, will do
>Is that one also as loud as '77 Live?
i guess it is

It should be the best genre easily, but there are so few great albums in the genre.

>it's too hard and too easy

based

nice

This album is gold, love the music videos too

N E W
W A V E

honestly fuck you and kill yourself

Any good recs?

Fuckin dubs AND quads

>prog

/thread

>Krautrock
honestly, what's the appeal in this garbage?

last great influential genre

Can someone explain to me what post punk actually is? I don't understand the connection to punk at all. Why's it even in the name?

Post-punk is this based genre that emerged after punk and is basically a more serious version of punk. It relies heavily on basslines, good lyricism, and a strong drummer and/or drum machine. Think Joy Division or The Chameleons

>Post-punk is this based genre that emerged after punk and is basically a more serious version of punk
This is what I've always been told. Still don't understand how it's connected to punk at all
>It relies heavily on basslines, good lyricism, and a strong drummer
Is this the connection? The punk aesthetics?

literally the only good synth punk album if you can even call it that

fuck off fag

maybe you should turn your fucking volume down retard

i always thought of post-punk as punk written by people who could actually play their instruments

kek
Yeah, the aesthetics are the most important factor

Experimental
Art Rock
Prog
Prog Metal
Doom Metal
Black Metal
Post Rock
Krautrock
No Wave
Noise Rock

there’s only 4 genres here retard

EXSQUEEZE ME

fucking glam rock or southern/blues rock. Because they're actually rock and roll music. Post-Punk is dissonant no fun no rock and roll sad boys

Attached: p01bqkvl.jpg (960x540, 99K)

FUCK YES 10/10 ALBUM

I like Unknown Pleasures, but am I the only one who hates the production quality? Some tracks sound better than others, though.

Literally all of them dude, like jesus christ. What's the appeal of listening to yet another sad twat moan in my ear about how much England sucks?

sad no-fun having british boys dissonantly moaning

You don't get it man, it's supposed to be unpleasant. That way, it's an accurate depiction of what it's like to hang out with a post-punk fanboy.

hahaha I do have good friend who are post-punk fanboys and I like it well enough. But shit I can't listen to it for too long. I don't understand how someone can think that is the best subgenre of rock music. It has nothing to do with rock and roll and your music doesn't have to be moaning about sad. Fucking Keith Richards went through almost as much pain as a post-punk boi but he didn't feel the need to make his music reflect that

Uh, the only sad post-punk music is Joy Division and everyone that followed in their footsteps. There is far more post-punk that expresses all kind of emotion. Don't have to dig far.

the sound is sad dude. all of it is dark. no fun no rock and roll. just dark and overtly emotional in some way

what about fugazi bruv?

You clearly didn't listen to enough post-punk. Literally any other band is anything but sad (The Fall, Gang Of Four, The Ex)
The Rolling Stones that you praise is no less or more sad, but they made only couple good songs and we all know what they are.

holy shit "the rolling stones only made a couple of good songs" get back to me when you turn 19

I guess you're right OP

youtu.be/_godSE6RJy0

Attached: 03DEDA32-EDB6-49D4-9F13-525CCC21F9AD-1359-000001A5BEC1AA19.jpg (300x239, 30K)

Oh yeah cuz enjoying Rolling Stones is such a sign of maturity lmao. I like Paint it Black as much as next guy and I really tried to find anything else I'd like by them - and couldn't. Most of the time I can't stand Mick Jaggers vocals.

The "Art-something" genre needs to fucking die

That it's good music

not what im saying, but realizing that music doesn't have to overtly showcase its writer's neuroses or have a superficial edge in order to be deep or have an impact is a sign of maturity sure. Most young people think most adults have "lost their edge"

Young Mother
Static Means
Makthaverskan
Soft Kill
The Estranged
Spectres
Second Still
Dead Ramones
Monozid
Ötzi

>too complex and minimal

name a worse genre of music than rock

No shit. I've been listening to a lot of old school folk, how would I know? It doesn't have to be edgy, there is plenty of post-punk that is not trying to be edgy as well and there are plenty of Rolling Stones songs that try to be edgy and fail. The whole premise of Rolling Stones was that it was an edgy rock group for its time, they were trying to push that edge.

fugazi was post-hardcore

hip hop

that's not the "point" of the stones forget the stones since youre lame and don't listen to them. All post-punk is abrasive. it's a very restrictive and narrow subgenre it has to be abrasive in some way. It's so restrictive that the biggest fans of post-punk call any post-punk after the 80s "post-punk revival" and it all sound the same because it all comes from the same narrow number of influences. It's not painting with a broad brush to call all post-punk pretty similar. It's a small subgenre. By "old school folk" what do you mean? Woodie Guthrie or the american 1960s folk revival or OG celtic folk or folk music of any other country?

Rock-n-roll by definition is suppose to be abrasive and edgy. Rolling Stones, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd - they all were edgy bands of their time. They don't sound as edgy anymore, because of all the music that came after. Velvet Underground is the edgiest of them, but also the softest of them. Punk and post-punk just took it and pushed it all the way (while post-punk is much more interesting). The main problem with post-punk revival is that it's just watered down version of the same with no new ideas. Yeah they all draw from the same influences. Not to say there aren't good contemporary post-punk bands, there are plenty, but I don't call them "revival".

Old school folk as in Townes Van Zandt or Jackson C Clark.