Why were the rabbits in Inland Empire?

Why were the rabbits in Inland Empire?

why not

It didn't seem to have anything to do with anything else.

It's just a short he made years before IE. I guess he just throw it on so more people could see it.

You can't really apply logic to Inland Empire. That's sort of the point.

>you will never get anxiety-induced heart palpitations watching Rabbits in the dark, high and alone again
Can any other kino replicate those feels?

Rabbits is my favorite thing Lynch has made for this reason. It was the first thing I ever saw from him and I was like 16. It still gives me these feels.

It was already a standalone short film but for some reason he decided to edit it into Inland Empire. Honestly that seems pretty cheap and lazy of Lynch but it goes with the improv production, distortion, trolling and general whatthefuckery of IE I guess.

DREAMZ DUDE LMAO

I knew that, in fact Rabbits was the first of Lynch's works that I ever watched, I love it.
But their inclusion seems a lot more deliberate than just including them for people to see (their apartment is #47, Laura Dern ends up in there after killing(?) the Phantom and receives applause, and there are parts where shots of the rabbits fade into similar shots of human characters).

And this probably doesn't mean much but it's a cool little motif. There's a train whistle (or something similar) that sounds when Dern approaches the door to their room. The same whistle is heard at the beginning of Rabbits and Eraserhead. Has anyone noticed it in his other films? The fog horns at the beginning of the Twin Peaks pilot are sort of similar, I guess.

Also what the hell was the phantom?

The Winkies scene from Mulholland Dr. still gets me every time. Not the hobo but the buildup.

It was a TV show, not a dream.

Lynch is great but too often he tosses random shit into his films. And the random shit almost always has no significance or meaning other than the meaning that viewers apply to it after watching the film. The most logical meaning generated by the viewers is usually accepted as cannon.

tl;dr don't ever spend too much time pondering the meaning of lynch films

I still haven't watched Inland Empire, how does it compare to his other movies? Is the digital footage as bad as some people say?

It is incredibly difficult to watch in one sitting.

>Why were lost, tormented souls in a movie about lost, tormented souls?

Gee, I wonder why!

Inland Empire is insane. He started the film without a complete script. He would write a segment of the script the day before he'd shoot the scenes. It's nightmarish, claustrophobic. It's like David Lynch recorded a fever dream.

I had a really weird experience with this film. I saw it twice. The first time, everything went fine. The second time, however, went bad. While watching it, I started to feel bad. It felt like something was off, like I shouldn't have been watching it. I felt nauseous and just emotionally drained. Finally, at an hour and thirty minutes, I got up, went to the sink and puked the blackest bile I've ever seen in my life. I hadn't drank alcohol that day, and I had eaten decently that day. Immediately I felt better. I stopped watching the film and haven't tried to watch it again since.

I agree, this movie was horrifying.

In other words, this is Lynch's Ring tape.

I don't disagree, I felt very uncomfortable while watching and weird bad shit has been happening since. I don't recommend any watch this movie.

it's my favourite movie

It's bad in that it's grainy and at some points looks like a home movie, but I liked that. Even though it was shot on a handheld camera, the lighting, sound design, and such are all as good as they usually are in Lynch's films. Those qualities together make for a strange effect.

I first watched IE one night at around 3 AM (which means I finished watching it at around 6 AM). I had drunk a truckload of coffee so I couldn't even close my eyes, and I had that weird, jittery sensation on my stomach. So I laid down and played the movie on my laptop. I had already started watching it the day before, so I knew I was in for a wild ride.
As the movie unfolded, I got lost in a mental labyrinth, and I began to drop in and out of the immersion to think about random things, especially about directing my own movie. Just around the end I was in a trance state, completely unaware that I was actually watching a movie. Then happened. If I weren't grabbing my laptop full force I would have probably smashed it against the wall.
Once it finished, I woke up and looked through the window. I saw the reddish glare of dawn and I thought it was as beautiful as it was disturbing.

Bump