Just watched pic related and loved it what are your guys thoughts?

Just watched pic related and loved it what are your guys thoughts?

I watch it yesterday and I love it. Very sad and realistic. Affleck's acting was superb.

Great acting, great characters, great movie. Not sure whether this or Moonlight wins best movie, both really great movies.

i like the subtlety of it, especially the kind-of-happy ending

it was good.

a little melodramatic at times.

the whole banter formula became a meme after a while. the script did it like ten times, and it was annoying.

Was it happy though i mean lou is basically forever in a downward spiral of loneliness and alcoholism

It was great except for Matthew "It was an accident" Broderick.

I 100% agree with this but neither has a shot against the Hollywank musical.

Yeah that was a really distracting casting choice but i guess he was in one of the directors other movies

Cried at scene related. Casey solidified himself as the Alphaffleck. I love the North Shore and seeing this makes me so excited to be moving back.

Never doubt the power of a historical movie starring black females

Much better than Hacksaw Meme, acting was also incredible across the board.

A bit overly long and unfocused at times though.

He really is the superior actor i am really looking forward to that lewis and clark mini series on hbo

Loved it when I saw it and it continues to grow on me

he wants an apartment with 2 rooms

he found connection with his nephew

it is a small step towards recovery

Also just got back from watching it, there were two groups of women on our row that were talking, thankfully one group left and we took their seats to get some quiet. Regardless, I really enjoyed it.

The scene with Casey and Michelle Williams late in the film was really heartbreaking, I haven't felt so emotional about one scene in a long time.

I'm kind of hopin for a Batffleck flick set in Boston with Casey as Robin, Matt Damon as Joker, and Markie Mark as Comm Gordon.

>The scene with Casey and Michelle Williams late in the film was really heartbreaking, I haven't felt so emotional about one scene in a long time.
That scene was fucking perfect, I mean it. It felt so natural and on point, the awkward buildup and how it just bursted all out. Hit me really hard and immediate. It's the kind of scene that just gets you and that you remember for a long time.

I enjoyed the film, but I went in knowing nothing and found it somewhat hard to follow at the beginning. The flashbacks and flashfowards, plus the lack of introduction to characters to establish who or what relations where. Maybe I wasn't paying attention or missed small lines, I thought it was the father who died in the beginning, and thought George was the brother at first. Thought Patrick on the boat was supposed to be a third son who was just real young compared to his brothers, not Joe's son and Lee's nephew, which I didn't correct until later on at Joe's place.

I accept that I may just be bad at following cues, though.

Can't believe I share a board with you plebs

I liked how it was nonlinear. I was laughing pretty hard when he was dealing with the tenants early in the film, had they opened with the burning kids that wouldn't have worked. Some of the stuff was confusing, I thought his father died too and I thought the guy from the boat was his brother at first, but it paid off when the story started unraveling.

Oh, I had no issue with the non-linearity of the film, and the tenants were definitely funny, I just wish the flashbacks/forwards perhaps had a better visual or way of denoting they were in the past. He goes from talking about Dr. Bethany to Dr. Bethany being in the scene and talking to Joe, who we previously hadn't seen the face of, with Lee being in the corner and only his back visible.

I'm glad I was the only one who made those same two mistakes, since I thought the father died and George's reaction was meant to juxtapose against Lee's completely muted emotions, which it was, but with slightly different relationships.

Loved it bet felt the ending was abrupt. So far my favorite best picture nom. But got a few more to watch.

I think all the acting and not just Afflecks was top notch except for the sons little panic attack scene. His performance was still good but that scene felt a little off.
I liked the first half way more than the second half. The second half was definitely dragging and the conclusion was extremely underwhelming. There were times when the music could have been scaled back a little bit but thats a minor complaint.
Overall a really good movie that kinda fails to deliver on the emotion its built up.
I would be shocked if Casey Affleck doesnt win best actor, and frankly he deserves it far more than anyone else nominated. Only way he could lose is if the white guilt takes hold of all the voters

>There was a man like this where I live
>Nobody trusts him, parents warned me to stay away from him
>out shopping with mom one day
>one day see a scene just like this where he's talking to a woman and they are both crying
>never really saw that guy around again

That was all years ago but I was strongly reminded of that. I hadn't thought about it in years.

I thought that scene and the scene at the police station were absolutely brilliant. So much emotional impact without typical oscar bait IM ACTINGGGGG moments

I cannot imagine anyone but Casey Affleck winning best Actor, and he was an actor I used to hate.

>not understanding that broderick had a connection to the main character of this movie

come on now you guys have no eye

yeah you're just dumb

The only bad thing about this film is that stock "GASP" soundbyte they used in both bar fight scenes.

Why did they even put that shit in the movie?

the kid was a dick

to trigger your autism

I assume same reason you get the wilhelm scream in films.

I agree with you though—that sound effect was distracting and made me think the bar fight scenes were to be comedic. I was expecting upbeat, old-timey music to start playing.

Maybe they were meant to be comedic scenes?

Brilliant. Best american release in years.

>a little melodramatic at times.

fair. but I think it did it well with it, it seemed pretty natural with the context of the movie

They both definitely deserve the Oscar

and his gf was ugly

kek

Saw it today. Was a little underwhelmed. Mostly because I don't understand the son's reaction to his father passing. It's almost as if he didn't care. He cares about his dad being frozen, yet he didn't care that he was dead to begin with.

I felt the movie falls off topic too often so we can see more petty arguments between Lee and his nephew.

I would say the movie was as entertaining as Birdman. Not what I was hoping for and a disappointment.

I'm seeing Denzel, Viola, and Mahershala taking the acting Oscars, Barry Jenkins getting best director, and then the Academy not feeling so guilty for crowning La La.

Patrick and Lee knew this was coming for a few years, and I think Patrick took cues from his uncle's stoicism in his reaction to his father's death. It did slip out from time to time like with the nail-on-head frozen chicken scene, but I think they expressed their pain through sarcasm and ball-busting comments between the two of them. It's only when Patrick realizes that Lee is taking a step back from being a part of his life that he can truly mourn all that he has lost.

This movie didn't have much banter. Hell or High Water was the banter film of last year.

>lou

It was pretty good, could've been longer though.

> It's almost as if he didn't care
No, the point is that he was trying too hard to make it seem like he didn't care. Like a teenage dudebro. "Lol. Whatever" kind of attitude when deep down he was shaken.

Due to his father's condition, he had been anticipating his father's passing for quite some time. The implication is that he had already spent the majority of his childhood coming to terms with it.

"There's nothing there..."
;_;

no depth at all. generic slice of life mild tragedy drama trash. this years boyhood nominee.

patricks Star Trek fan friends should have approached casey affleck and said "time is the fire in which we burn" then he could have freaked out and assaulted them and we would think lmao wtf? then learn later why.

wat

oscar bait

have you ever seen star trek generations?

I just started watching it today actually

Nah, that would be Hidden Figures.

I thought it was appropriate since both the character and the actor are unsettling people

>I can't believe we're talking about Star Trek right now.
Shut your teenage cum-trap. Soon as she ruined that conversation my wife leaned over and said "Fuck her, she sucks."

I just saw it, and two women leaving the theater said "It was sad but I didn't like the ending"
10/10 LITERALLY "women will never understand" core kino

the movie called star trek generations not the tv show.

.explaining my joke now. spoilers but who cares. in ST:G picard is informed his brother and nephews have died in a fire. later in the film malcolm mcdowell who somehow knows this information says the line time is the fire in which we burn to picard to seriously fuck with him.

As someone who loves this movie I would say the ending is one of its weakest aspects. Still good but Lonergan's weakest ending by far.

Kara's character reminded Lee of Elise while Baryshnikov reminded him of Randi, that's why he assented to their relationship

>hover-3-fingers

what did he mean by this

The Manchester scene is a Freud reference you uneducated geek

at my theater as the ending faded to black a man in the theater said aloud "you have to be kidding me" to which there was much agreement from the rest of the audience. I have no idea what the plebs were expecting...

>I'm sorry, Patty, I can't beat it
that's a good ending, not every thing is a fucking fairy tale

How is that the ending scene in your tiny mind?

I am talking about the literal ending moment in the film which is good but not amazing.

please help me understand the (((Freud))) reference.

>they fish at the beginning
>they fish at the end
it's pure poetry, what's wrong with that?

There is a dream described in Freud's Interpretation of Dreams in which a father hears his daughters tell him that they are burning. A direct reference.

I think he should have put the screen on.

Do you know how to read? I have repeatedly said it's good. It is however too schematic and blatant for Lonergan.

thank you but i never referenced that scene. go back through the reply chain.

the only Freud i have read is civilization and its discontents anyway could not give a fuck less about his dream interpretations. but props to you.

I meant the Star Trek thing is just coincidental bro

mfw I saw a place they filmed this on the way home from the theatah

The police station scene was some of the best acting I've seen in a long time. Affleck better win the Oscar, desu.

i know it is i am making a shit joke only trek autists like me would get.

After tonight it seems likely that he will lose

Nerd

Trying not to get another sexual harassment charge

what happened

He's got the Critics Choice, the Golden Globe, and will most likely win the BAFTA, seeing as how Denzel isn't nominated. Add to that the probability that Denzel's win at SAG was probably a consolation prize for never having won one, and I'd still put my money on Casey winning.

He lost the SAG award to Denzel.

SAG is more important than all 3 especially given Denzel isn't even nommed at the BAFTAS. The sexual charges in Affleck's past also hurt. It'll be a race but I think Denzel has the edge

Melodramatic garbage that tried way too hard to be depressing to give off the impression that it was a meaningful film.

Also the conversation misunderstanding shtick throughout the film was annoying

overall the pleb (who doesn't think they're pleb)'s best picture pick

I agree. What is your oscar best picture pick?

Arrival.

arrival

lmfao

the short story is so much better the movie should not exist

The only 10/10 rating I gave last year and thus best of imo.

>tfw your city gets the best kino

>Boston
>Wahlberg
>implying I'm some dumb Southie Irish thug instead of an intelligent New Englander from the North Showah

Margaret is better because of the way it habdles different sides of main character. this was.just hitting one note

lost my shit when he gets home and it's up in flames
lost my shit even more when he takes the police officers gun and tries to shoot himself
;_;

>classic music being played over average boring scenes

This movie was slightly pretentious and tried to romanticized a snownigger hick town. Nothing romantic about a boring dead frozen town, no wonder casey wanted to leave the fuck outta inbredistand and move back to bahston.

I hope you are right user, Casey deserves that Oscar.

SAG are more important

people who vote for critics and globes don't get to vote for oscars

SAG is made up of people who vote for oscars

>He lost the SAG award to Denzel.

Given how surprised Denzel looked wouldn't surprise me if it was a female revenge vote

Given how Casey Affleck is playing the same role he has played for more than a decade I wouldn't give him Oscar for it.

Hey baby how ya doin?

Plasma fires are healthy.

no no no...no.

>bad things keep happening to the good guy for no reason
>bad supporting actors
it was ok, wouldnt watch it again

>good guy.
umm

who?

>when Lee quietly mutters "there's nothing there" in the discussion with his ex.
that was some fucking scene

i mean that alone is fucking Oscar tier moment