Any Native Americans, First Nations or Métis in here?

What do you think of the Native peoples living south of the US? Do you feel a connection to them? What about pre-Columbian civilizations like the Aztecs, Incas, Teotihuacan, etcetera? Do you consider them part of your heritage, too?What about Mestizos? What do you think of us?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=evgK6ufMmiE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Juárez,_Mexico_City
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What do Mexican natives think of U.S. natives?

>native americans using Sup Forums
I think they spend their time more wisely than wasting it on browsing a anime imageboard

inb4 some American claiming to be a native American because of his 1/32 cherokee heritage

Most native Americans hate Spics

I'm a dirty M*stizo so idk, desu. Is the girl on your pic Native?

Nothing, they don't give a fuck. There is a tribe in the Mexican-American border who has permission to move between the two countries but who got ultimately fucked by the wall already in place.

OP asked for Métis though, that specifically means part Euro and part First Nations. So in this instance a proud 1/32 Cherokee would be appropriate.

Walls are also going to fuck up the jaguar migration between Mexico and Arizona. Now yanks will never get their jaguar populations back

American native vlogs about her visit to Mexico:
youtube.com/watch?v=evgK6ufMmiE

Métis are a specific group from Canada, though? I don't think you can claim to be Métis if you are a mixed person from America. Their opinions are welcomed, too, though :3

Métis is a specific group in Canada. For centuries it meant First Nations and French, whereas First Nations and Anglo were called halfbloods. In the early 20th century it became fashionable to call them all Métis. However, the word métis likely comes from the Spanish mestizo and so can colloquially refer to any mixed blood person in the Americas.

I doubt many of them are here, but I've talked to some natives/first nations people on /out/. They tend not to care so much about other places and other ways of doing things and mostly just keep to themselves. Imagine trailer-park people but quiet and more dignified.

>making a point about seeing brown people
lol what did she mean by this?

Also, she says she's Canadian.

Can confirm and in fact find them overly tribal for lack of a better word. I spent some time with the Utes for example and they hate the neighboring Navajo despite being very similar. Can't imagine they would feel any sentiments over southern Amerindians outside of a general "this is our land" ideology.

Bumping so i can post my reply. Phones gonna die

That Cree poster btw

I wanna see that so I'll bump too.

Also bumping

Thanks

The ones I've met seem to dislike Mexicans for crossing the board and trying to cash in on 'muh native blood'. Also, reservations are a popular place for cartels to do business, since the federal government has limited jurisdiction to watch shit going down on them. I think there were a few scenes in Breaking Bad to this effect.

That being said, most of them tend to be exceptionally provincial even by American standards.

The ones I've met seem to dislike Mexicans for crossing the border and trying to cash in on 'muh native blood'. Also, reservations are a popular place for cartels to do business, since the federal government has limited jurisdiction to watch shit going down on them. I think there were a few scenes in Breaking Bad to this effect.

That being said, most of them tend to be exceptionally provincial even by American standards.

t. married a native qt and talk about this stuff with the in-laws sometimes

>trying to cash in on 'muh native blood'
I don't understand this? Most Mexicans in the US don't identify as Native and even if they did, I don't think they'd get any benefits since they wouldn't be an official tribe recognized by the government.

Are you from Oklahoma by chance?

Ultra-SJW chicanos like to wewuz as injuns now. It's the current fad along with 'latinx'

Nah, Tennessee.

Damn, she looks like she could give some really good head

They we wuz. Look up Nican Tlaca

Cree poster
Its gonna be hard to say between this a general thought we do have, or just my opinion. Ill try
>What do you think of the Native peoples living south of the US?

>Do you feel a connection to them?
To put it bluntly; no., not much of us do. Growing up, i notice alot of the people around me consciencly want to distinguish from us and mexicans. Hell, we can tell a mexican right off the bat.
>What about pre-Columbian civilizations like the Aztecs, Incas, Teotihuacan, etcetera?
Most dont really care, or are stupid enough to think we have any connection to them. (lol my cousin thought he had aztec relatives when we played aoe2 ffs). Mexicans and latin american natives in general have a greater genetic diversity from a spaniard to a ukrainian being on the same continent that is (dunno if i typed that right, in a rush). I prefer sticking to my own people imo. Very varg-ish i know, sorry.
>Do you consider them part of your heritage, too?
Not really, I think its a cheap way of >muh heritage-ing. Its like if a russian dude tried to connect with a frenchie just because theyre both european. But again, imo. Maybe some other natives do connect, but i cant speak for them.
>What about Mestizos?
Métis to canada/french,native to mestizo to mexico/spanish, native.
But the thing is, is that the majority population of mexico is mestizo, unlike here in Canada
>What do you think of us?
Broad question, but many of us dont really say much about mexicans in general tb h. Generally dont care in short i guess? Its hard to connect to someone who lost their culture to christianity for me.
The actual natives there though seem easier to connect. (Low class, underrepresented lol)

Sorry for the shitty response, im just busy atm, trying to add stuff to say at random intervals

Also This quite a bit with 'muh native blood'

>pic unrelated. Something i found at my college

Holy crap the mistakes ha

This in a general sense which we all think* or my opinion

>what do we think of south natives
The last sentence of the last answer was supposed to be that.

Other spelling stuff too. Whatever, very busy

>want to distinguish from us and mexicans. Hell, we can tell a mexican right off the bat.
Do you have Mexicans where you live or why the need to do that? Thanks for responding btw

they look about as racially different as a european to an indian imo.

most of the natives i've met have paler, red skin, narrower eyes and have a strong "european" look to them.

btw the metis are heavily mixed with french/scottish blood and its common to see them have siblings with darker features and siblings who look like an aryan youth member. the actual nation and community are fiercely proud and nationalistic about their roots, probably stronger than the quebecois because we fucked them up a few times in the past.

pic related are literal metis who get pissed if you call them whites with white privilege.

not him but its so obvious that mexicans/mesoamericans look so different.

skull shape is different, skin tone is different, facial features are different.

Your natives look mestizo to me. Your pic would pass as a mestizo any day. And so would she I'm honestly sure that if they had their genes tested, they would have a quite significant European admixture desu.

The only Native Americans from up North that really look Native to me are the ones in those old photos.

You're native runes look alien as hell.

I prefer our injuns writing system.

Can they pass in Mexico?

This guy looks just like your average mestizo anywhere in latin america

They would pass as mestizos as well. You see people like these everywhere.

Well, the way he put it, it seems to me that people were confusing them with Mexicans but since there aren't many Mexicans in Canada, I don't understand why you would need to make the effort to distinguish. I think I misread, though.
Yes

The guy in the pic is Métis

I'm from L.A i see people that look like this everyday, all mexican/central american

Yeah, I'm not talking just about that guy, but instead I'm talking about almost all the people in America and Canada who claim to be Native Americans. Honestly, to me at least, they look like mestizos.

>the bonhomme sashes
pretty cool, pretty cool

I've got no clue other than that samis have a hard on for them.

Why?

Because they're also considered a native population.

They're both descended from the same ancient tribes from the Caucasus mountains, aren't they?

The characterization of someone's native status strictly by their racial ancestry is not well-appreciated in the north, just fyi. Many tribes are proud of their own institutions of nationhood and view attempts to overcharacterize membership in terms of blood status as a form of colonialism.

It's best to leave Latin American racial categories like mestizo at the door when you're dealing with natives in the US and Canada.

Natives in Mexico are considered Native because of their culture, not because of their blood. Native is a cultural classification in our census. At least that's on paper.

What it really means is that you could see an almost 100% Native guy with a business suit, or regular clothes in a university, or almost any urban job really, and he wouldn't be considered Native, just a really dark skinned mestizo, as opposed to if he was living in the rural regions / mountains / jungle with their own clothes and traditions instead. BUT if you see a clear mestizo pretending to be Native (or white) people would just laugh in his face, because come the fuck on. It's no different from the 1/156 "Irish" Americans in Boston.

It's much more straighforward in the US. If the tribe says you are a member, then you are a member.

Why should outsiders get to dictate who belongs?

if i see a native looking person with western clothing, i just think of them as native not as a dark mestizo

I'm not so sure, AFAIK sami are blanda as fuck and not that much different from other people in the area.

Outsiders don't dictate anything here, Natives are the ones who consider themselves Natives. But you are going to have a hard time finding someone like claiming to be native. Not because of outsiders, but because we (and they themselves) know how Natives look and how mestizos look.

I know several in my uni, and literally nobody thinks of them as native (they wear everyday clothes, they don't have any sort of accent or know native languages, etc. but they are racially closer to Natives than anything else). If you ask people who they think as Natives, they wouldn't be pointed out, honestly, unlike the ones selling traditional candies in the transport system or the rural towns. A lot of Indigenous people pass unnoticed all the time tbqh.

where are you from?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Juárez,_Mexico_City

To be fair, they are actually quite tall. We know they are natives because we practiced genetic tests on each others as a part of a school project / practice. Nobody expected it, desu, even though they are actually dark.

>Their opinions are welcomed, too, though :3
Ok. Far more than 1/32 Cherokee reportan in.

I'm a white guy. We think of ourselves as white, but "we're related to" etc (whatever other people). There are lots of people in America with significant native ancestry who don't have any actual tribal membership or know any of the languages. Where my family is from every (probably) family is mixed with Cherokee. Cherokee specifically because that's where the last holdouts hid from the Trail of Tears. There's also other tribes and reservations around, though, so there's a few related to other tribes.

I don't feel any connection to the natives south of the border, obviously. Not even any other native tribes within the US or Canada. I barely even think about the Cherokee.

I do feel some similarity to the whiter parts of Latin America, though, and any other post-colonial land. They have it a lot like we do: We're mostly white but mixed, technically. And in some cases we're the biggest population of native blood left, from a DNA perspective. Yet we don't have any of the plundered assets or gold taken from our lands, we're just the regular people of our countries.

Joe Biden and such people have been trying to pass Mexicans off as Indians. It's really religious sectarianism, as Mex are more likely to be Roman Catholic while our Indians are overwhelmingly Protestants except for California (maybe also Az and NM?).

I think that's a creation myth.

I think they just want more democrats, user. Religion doesn't play into it.