The Coen Brothers

RANK THEM

Ethan > Joel, i guess

Ethan = Joel

They're both the same person retard
Can't believe people still fall for this

Ethan > Joel > Sasha Baron > Etan

cohen > coen

No Country for Old Men > Fargo >The Big Lebowski > O Brother Where Art Thou > Burn After Reading > Serious Man > True Grit.

Intolerable Cruelty>all of them

this, but i would also rate barton fink and the man who wasn't there somewhere above burn.

No country for old men>Barton Fink>A Serious Man>True Grit>the Big Lewbowski>Fargo>inside Llewyn Davis>o brother where art thou

This is the patrician noncontrarian meditative ranking

Pretty good taste, but I wouldn't quite agree

nice pussy

BEST: A Serious Man
WORST: Raising Arizona
FAVORITE: No Country for Old Men
OVERRATED: Inside Llewyn Davis
UNDERRATED: The Man Who Wasn't There

what's the difference between best and favorite.

A real patrician can recognize greatness without liking it and can recognize flaws in his favourites

>recognize greatness without liking it
but that doesn't make sense

Your favorite is the movie that you enjoy watching the most, while best is what you acknowledge to be their most well made film.

Good things aren't good because you like them, user
You must understand the difference

well made by whose standards (obviously not your own)? like, it won more awards?

>WORST: Raising Arizona

what is the difference? who decides what is good for you? Sup Forums consensus?

>no mention of Millers Crossing

plebs

Miller's Crossing

happy now?

A movie is good on because of its own merits
Whether I like it or not is irrelevant
It's still good (or bad)

>its own merits
awards?

What you're saying doesnt make sense. You're basically saying you think you're supposed to like it but you dont

Translation:

I'm not confident enough to defend what I like.

>Le objective truth doesn't exist meme
Off yourselves, plebs.

film isn't objective though? what are you on about.

not him, but you guys are annoying retards
example
I can tell that no country for old men is a better made film than oh brother where art thou but my favorite is oh brother

No, I'm saying that you can recognize the artistic quality of something even if you don't necessarily like it

Like cooking
You can recognize how great a meal is but not actually the taste. You can appreciate the time, the precision, the effort, the creativity without necessarily liking it.

Movies are the same.
You can see how well made it is without liking it

Mah nigga

Film is the most personal of art forms.

If you like O Brother better, than in your opinion O Brother is a better film. It's that simple. You don't have to be ashamed of what you like, no matter how much Sup Forums bullies you.

oh, so you just mean craftsmanship and effort. i get it now.

What are you on about? Are you trying to say that due to someone's mental deficiency that they might believe Monster Trucks is a better movie than NCFOM and that makes it true? Unless you're severely retarded you would realize that notion is obsurd. So, it would be hypocritical if the opposite could not exist.

He's not ashamed though

It's not about bullying to know when a movie is "better" made.

It's like comparing watches.
An intricately hand made Swiss watch is really quite something
But you may like a lesser made one anyways

>WORST: Raising Arizona
Explain.

Holy shit, you people are dense.
For instance, I am not a big fan of sci if movies. I can recognize, and enjoy if a sci Di movie is well made, but it's not one I will buy and re watch because I don't really like sci fi.
You can recognize good writing, acting, production, etc, even if it's not your cup of tea

Holy shit.

Wrong.
You enjoyed Oh Brother more, so in your eyes it was the better made film.
You saying No Country was better is you denying you own opinion because of some arbitrary rule in your head.

So in your opinion the lesser made watch is better. Stick to your convictions

>Are you trying to say that due to someone's mental deficiency that they might believe Monster Trucks is a better movie than NCFOM and that makes it true?
>that makes it true
For them? Yes. There is no other way.

In some Sup Forumstard's eyes Hitler was right. Does that make him right?

No, I like the lesser made watch more
There's a difference

You can continue by answering this:

>Transformers is my favorite movie.
>But I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is a better film because people smarter than me say so.
Get it?

>Wow that movie was really great! But it was terrible though.

You guys are the weirdest people. Autism takes new levels.

I found it both to be their least entertaining and least interesting thematically

Too much John Goodman shouting without substance

>I think watch A is better than watch B, but I choose watch B anyway

This doesn't follow any logic. If you really though watch A was better you would choose it.

>implying he could afford watch A

>Hitler was right
about what?
what a stupid counter point,,,

hail ceasar > fargo > NCFOM

Emotions aren't logical
That's the point
Criticism is logical and rational but whether you like something is not

To be "objective" you have to separate the two

Everyone thank this faggot for killing the thread

The goal of any film is to give you an experience of some kind. If a movie gives you a better experience, whatever it may be, than another movie, then it is better for you. The movie has succeeded more than the other, there is nothing else.

>hudsucker proxy not even mentioned

Fucking plebs.

>if you really thought Watch A was better, you would choose it

He acknowledges and admits to Watch A being the superior Watch, but he chooses watch B because he enjoys it more.

No Country
Fargo
Inside Llewyn
Lebowski
Serious Man
Barton Fink
True Grit
Blood Simple
Burn
Millers Crossing
Oh Brother
Hail Casear
Hudsucker
Raising Arizona
Intolerable Cruelty
Ladykillers

Never seen Man who wasn't there

>Emotions aren't logical

If you have any kind of self awareness they are. Can you not describe why you like a movie better than another one? That's logic.

1. Raising Arizona
2. Miller's Crossing
3. Fargo
4. The Hudsucker Proxy
5. A Serious Man
6. The Big Lebowski
7. No County for Old Men
8. O Brother Where Art Thou
9. Blood Simple
10. Hail, Caesar
11. The Man Who Wasn't There
12. True Grit
13. Intolerable Cruelty
14. Burn After Reading
15. Barton Fink
16. Inside Llewyn Davis
17. The Ladykillers

but you "objectively" enjoy it more so to you its the better one.

>If you like O Brother better, than in your opinion O Brother is a better film.
false, you annoying retard
I'm not ashamed of what I like, I said it right fucking there, my favourite is oh brother
and I don't base my opinions on films on what Sup Forums says or what any film reviewer says
> no matter how much Sup Forums bullies you.
it's like you're on a tirade against Sup Forums, and think that everyone here is a hivemind trying to fit in with eachother
classic redditor

no, quality

Now you're just quibbling over what it means to be "better"

You know exactly what I mean you pathetic tit.
Here's another example:
>an indegienous tribe believes sacreficing virgins to the volcano will keep it from erupting
>a more advanced Spaniard conquestidor informs them that they are wrong and that they are committing murder
According to your logic, the tribesmen are not committing murder and saving their village because it's their opinion, but the objective laws of the universe say that their actions have no consequence against the eruptions of the volcano and the laws of human nature state they are committing murder.

If he enjoys it more that makes it superior, all things considered.

If watch A > watch B all things considered, he will buy watch A. You can't argue against this

i think it had more to do with it

many factors can make you enjoy an otherwise inferior film more than superior:
nostalgia for example

I can describe how a movie is good and I describe why I enjoyed it
Sometimes both columns have the same point, but it doesn't mean that they're the same

I may like a movie because when I was a kid, I watched things like it and so now I have an emotional resonance with the things that resemble that first thing I watched.
I explained it, but it isn't logical

>believes
theres the fault in your argument. it in no way relates to favorite > better made.
again. a stupid point to make, retard

That's literally not similar at all.

There's no scientific fact that causes one film to be better than another. Your example doesn't make sense

not really familiar with these brothers, can someone give me a quick rundown?

>favorite: the one i enjoyed the most.
>best: the one i was supposed to enjoy the most, but was too dumb to do.
literally retarded.

Again, you're wrong. You have a very narcissistic belief that your opinion means fuck all on the grand scale of things. When you hear about a movie being proclaimed as a director's best and it conflicts with your opinion do you autistically screech until the fabric of reality changes? No. You realize that one is held up as the best and one is held up (by you) as your favorite.

Joel>Ethan

>When you hear about a movie being proclaimed as a director's best
literally making shit up now.
its not about what others think is the best.
you know a film better made, but your favorite is a film that you know isnt made as well as the other.

>You enjoyed Oh Brother more, so in your eyes it was the better made film.
no, I don't think it was a better made film than no county

how about a flip around
lets say my favourite movie is happy feet because I like penguins, that doesn't stop me from appreciating the dark knight as a better film

you're fuckin retarded
>Wow that movie was really ENJOYABLE! But it was terrible though.
stop equating good/bad to how you personally enjoyed a film, they're different

You're getting caught up on semantics, but I agree with you

>because I like penguins
a more honest comparison to illustrate your point would be compare 2 different movies with penguins - would happy feet still be your favorite?

>stop equating good/bad to how you personally enjoyed a film, they're different

Film is personal. You can try to objectively define an art form, but you will fail. There no science that governs the quality of film, only opinion.

Here's a paradigm shift you might be able to wrap your head around
>I know Symphony No. 5 in C minor of Ludwig van Beethoven, Op. 67 is better than Katy Perry's Fireworks but I listen to the latter more often

>stop equating good/bad to how you personally enjoyed a film, they're different
then what is good/bad? how others enjoyed it? there are no set rules made by others to judge a movie by, only your own, whatever they may be. which makes one movie better than the other. however it may change over time as your opinions change. if you choose to acknowledge other people's opinion that doesn't make the movie good/bad, you're just acknowledging their subjective opinions.

>tfw im arguing both sides because im bored as fuck
Anyone else shitposting on my level?

I actually thought Burn After Reading was pretty shit. Why is it so praised?

Note that i'm not a Coen hater, i enjoyed most of their other movies

Is there a better made penguin movie than Happy Feet?

DUMB AS FUCK TIER:
Every Clooney movie
GOD-TIER CINEMA:
Every movie that doesn't feature Clooney

>I know Symphony No. 5 in C minor of Ludwig van Beethoven, Op. 67 is better than Katy Perry's Fireworks but I find fireworks to be more enjoyable.
that's the correct way of putting it if you want to make the example work.
that makes fireworks better in your opinion, the only one that matters when it comes to art.

kek i posted because i knew people would explode. just like when i post about guilty pleasure
>huh? how can you feel guilty when enjoying something?
although that isn't as effective.

>the only one that matters when it comes to art
Clearly you have never studied fine art, music, photography or film in any capacity. It's not "I liek X best and that's all that matters to me xD". Your wrong opinion is the product of the participation award lifestyle you were raised in. Some things are objectively better than others. Sure, you can like something better, but that does not mean it is objectively better. There is always an objective truth.

>I liek X best and that's all that matters to me xD
you can't make a point without coming off as a retard. objectively.

march of the penguins because it had real fucking penguins

yeah, because Brittany Murphy's voice is hot

>how others enjoyed it?
stop assuming that this is the crux of the argument
>then what is good/bad?
IN MY OPINION good / bad is based on how well the story made it's point, what point it was making, and how enjoyable it was, among many many other factors

>Some things are objectively better than others.
vague

>Sure, you can like something better, but that does not mean it is objectively better.
vague

>There is always an objective truth.
vague

Seems like youre just spouting the word objective to prove a point, moron.

That's literally the central theme of your entire argument. I can see now that you've swapped over to name calling you have been unironically, objectively bested. (Read up on fallacies and debates.)
;)

>speaking universally is vague
>ad hominem

YOUR OPINION is the only thing that matters to personal experiences from art.
You are the dumbest one ITT.

>art only exists for personal experience
Go have that attitude in an academic discussion about art and get laughed out of the room.

>Brittany Murphy's voice is hot
you just changed you reason for favoritism. now you have to compare 2 movies where brittany murphy has a hot voice

>That's literally the central theme of your entire argument.
oh i know and i agree with it still.

Laughed at by a bunch of retards, would make me feel better.

haha
anyway, that's one of the points I'm trying to make, the reason for a film being favourite could be anything and as such is pretty much irrelevant to the (perceived) quality of the movie

I legitimately feel sorry for you. It's not even worth engaging with you any more.
As Don Rumata said "It is hard to be a God"